Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Koh Samuis fruiting so bad. Any input?
    #1714752 -

Hey,

I know this silly goose who purchased 4 strains from Captain Max in January 2003. The syringes are still viable since they were stored in the fridge since that time.

After many months of practice, the silly goose knows how to have success with the PF-Tek, Popcorn TEK, and casings.

Strains that were successfully grown so far many times are Equador, Tapalpas and Matias Romero.

On the other hand, the Koh Samui strain is still unsuccessful and the goose is starting to have some serious doubts on quality of the spores.

It was first noticed that her Koh Samui spores take significantly more time to germinate with the PF-TEK compared to other strains (it takes around 7 to 10 days, which is above the normal). When it germinates, colonization speed is respectable and seems healthy (except for some weird blueing that occurs everytime, probably bruising.)

Problems start at the fruiting stage. So far, around 8 healty colonized cake were birthed and none was able to produce a mature mushroom. Most of the time, cakes pin very well in less than 6 or 8 days and then, *everything* abhorts all the time. Pinning style is also unique compared to other strains available. They often produce something like 30 very small pins on top of the cake (all in the same area) and then, they never grow more than 1 cm and stay very thin. Sometimes, a pin or 2 will get bigger and will have normal speed growth and then, it abhorts and turn black very fast.

It must be noted that the terrarium has the correct RH and temp for cakes (99% RH, around 75F ).

In brief, every Koh Samuis cake are unable to produce a single mature shroom while other cakes sitting in the same terrarium will go just fine.

I'm starting to think that these Koh Samui spores may be over domesticated (just an hypothese). I read from a good source that you just can't grow shrooms, make a print, grow some more, make a print (etc.) because after the 3rd or 4th generation, spores gets weaker due to overdomesticating em and they tend to fruit less or not at all. Can someone confirm this?

From these spores, I've learned that my goose just can't be successful with the PF-TEK. That's why she recently tried to inoculate some popcorn and she's still waiting for the spore to germinate (after 20 days!!!).

Any opinion on this would be appreciated.

.fs.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Koh Samuis fruiting so bad. Any input? [Re: fIsh in my head]
    #1714832 -

fIsh in my head said:
I read from a good source that you just can't grow shrooms, make a print, grow some more, make a print (etc.) because after the 3rd or 4th generation, spores gets weaker due to overdomesticating em and they tend to fruit less or not at all. Can someone confirm this?

.fs.



So you think all these Ecuador, Creeper ect. prints are all from the 3rd or 4th generation? No, most of the prints have been grown several times by the owner, traded, grown more from that owner, printed and traded over and over again. I, nor anyone I know have ever come across this problem. However it could be a number of things such as air exchange or its abillity to grow on pf cakes. I remember growing every kind of strain I could get, but GTs I could just never get to mature. Ide get several pins, but they'd stop after about 1 inch.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Koh Samuis fruiting so bad. Any input? [Re: I_was_the_walrus]
    #1714858 -


Oh, I'm glad to hear. I read that a couple months ago on this forum that strain starts the degenerate after a couple generation and I took that very seriously and started some mycellium culture from the same generation. Haha, I should study a little more.

Yeah, i guess some strains just doesn't work for some growers. I'll try to case these cakes in the terrarium and see what happens.

thanks for telling me this, it makes the hobby easier to me.

.fs.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Koh Samuis fruiting so bad. Any input? [Re: fIsh in my head]
    #1714911 -

But wait, wait... Im not saying Im right. I was just throwing my 2 cents in. I'de like to think of myself as experienced, but I do think input from a few more members would be appropriate.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Koh Samuis fruiting so bad. Any input? [Re: fIsh in my head]
    #1714966 -

there are so many factors to consider when growing. a lot of people have had great success in growing KS. I personally have never grown it, although I am fairly new with the Thai Strains, the only ones being Lipa Yai and Pink Buffalo and I did experience slower than what Im used to pinning times and initial colonization in the Jars. But other people have had great success, so what it boils down to is the variances in preparation, sterility, temeprature, humidity, and so forth that naturally accompanies any grower.


--------------------
Wee, sleeket, cowran, tim'rous beastie,
O, what panic's in thy breastie!
Thou need na start awa sae hasty,
Wi' bickering brattle!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Disapointing Koh Samui Fruits baraka 2,347 4 08/23/01 02:05 PM
by paranoiac21
* Koh Samui strain slow or dead? etard 5,607 19 02/11/15 07:31 PM
by Grey
* KOH SAMUIS VS CREEPER help me decide. philistine4life 3,078 18 01/29/03 06:39 AM
by philistine4life
* Koh Samui smell funny again GT dont baraka 2,370 3 08/14/01 02:50 AM
by baraka
* Thai Koh Samui TheGreenPhantom 2,743 5 07/31/02 06:45 PM
by thaikoh
* Re: new PICS Thailand Koh Samui on DB *DELETED*
( 1 2 3 4 all )
dk138 12,051 75 05/07/01 06:02 AM
by Learyfan
* Is this Koh Samuis??? Kalbaska 1,399 4 06/11/03 03:36 PM
by Kalbaska
* All my Koh Samui Jars smell baraka 1,976 3 08/02/01 08:33 PM
by jonnyshaggs420

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Shroomism, george castanza, RogerRabbit, veggie, mushboy, fahtster, the_chosen_one, LogicaL Chaos, 13shrooms, hamloaf, cronicr, Stipe-n Cap, Pastywhyte, bodhisatta, Tormato, Land Trout, A.k.a
3,040 topic views. 11 members, 65 guests and 130 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.027 seconds spending 0.008 seconds on 14 queries.