Home | Community | Message Board

RVF Garden Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflinefIsh in my head
fadedstar

Loc: 4500 ASL
Koh Samuis fruiting so bad. Any input?
    #1714752 - 07/14/03 05:03 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Hey,

I know this silly goose who purchased 4 strains from Captain Max in January 2003. The syringes are still viable since they were stored in the fridge since that time.

After many months of practice, the silly goose knows how to have success with the PF-Tek, Popcorn TEK, and casings.

Strains that were successfully grown so far many times are Equador, Tapalpas and Matias Romero.

On the other hand, the Koh Samui strain is still unsuccessful and the goose is starting to have some serious doubts on quality of the spores.

It was first noticed that her Koh Samui spores take significantly more time to germinate with the PF-TEK compared to other strains (it takes around 7 to 10 days, which is above the normal). When it germinates, colonization speed is respectable and seems healthy (except for some weird blueing that occurs everytime, probably bruising.)

Problems start at the fruiting stage. So far, around 8 healty colonized cake were birthed and none was able to produce a mature mushroom. Most of the time, cakes pin very well in less than 6 or 8 days and then, *everything* abhorts all the time. Pinning style is also unique compared to other strains available. They often produce something like 30 very small pins on top of the cake (all in the same area) and then, they never grow more than 1 cm and stay very thin. Sometimes, a pin or 2 will get bigger and will have normal speed growth and then, it abhorts and turn black very fast.

It must be noted that the terrarium has the correct RH and temp for cakes (99% RH, around 75F ).

In brief, every Koh Samuis cake are unable to produce a single mature shroom while other cakes sitting in the same terrarium will go just fine.

I'm starting to think that these Koh Samui spores may be over domesticated (just an hypothese). I read from a good source that you just can't grow shrooms, make a print, grow some more, make a print (etc.) because after the 3rd or 4th generation, spores gets weaker due to overdomesticating em and they tend to fruit less or not at all. Can someone confirm this?

From these spores, I've learned that my goose just can't be successful with the PF-TEK. That's why she recently tried to inoculate some popcorn and she's still waiting for the spore to germinate (after 20 days!!!).

Any opinion on this would be appreciated.

.fs.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleI_was_the_walrus
eggshells
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: next door
Re: Koh Samuis fruiting so bad. Any input? [Re: fIsh in my head]
    #1714832 - 07/14/03 05:31 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

fIsh in my head said:
I read from a good source that you just can't grow shrooms, make a print, grow some more, make a print (etc.) because after the 3rd or 4th generation, spores gets weaker due to overdomesticating em and they tend to fruit less or not at all. Can someone confirm this?

.fs.

So you think all these Ecuador, Creeper ect. prints are all from the 3rd or 4th generation? No, most of the prints have been grown several times by the owner, traded, grown more from that owner, printed and traded over and over again. I, nor anyone I know have ever come across this problem. However it could be a number of things such as air exchange or its abillity to grow on pf cakes. I remember growing every kind of strain I could get, but GTs I could just never get to mature. Ide get several pins, but they'd stop after about 1 inch.

--------------------

OfflinefIsh in my head
fadedstar

Loc: 4500 ASL
Re: Koh Samuis fruiting so bad. Any input? [Re: I_was_the_walrus]
    #1714858 - 07/14/03 05:37 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Oh, I'm glad to hear. I read that a couple months ago on this forum that strain starts the degenerate after a couple generation and I took that very seriously and started some mycellium culture from the same generation. Haha, I should study a little more.

Yeah, i guess some strains just doesn't work for some growers. I'll try to case these cakes in the terrarium and see what happens.

thanks for telling me this, it makes the hobby easier to me.

.fs.

InvisibleI_was_the_walrus
eggshells
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: next door
    #1714911 - 07/14/03 05:53 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

But wait, wait... Im not saying Im right. I was just throwing my 2 cents in. I'de like to think of myself as experienced, but I do think input from a few more members would be appropriate.

--------------------

Invisiblesoochi
Chef
 User Gallery

Loc: The Richest County
    #1714966 - 07/14/03 06:09 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

there are so many factors to consider when growing. a lot of people have had great success in growing KS. I personally have never grown it, although I am fairly new with the Thai Strains, the only ones being Lipa Yai and Pink Buffalo and I did experience slower than what Im used to pinning times and initial colonization in the Jars. But other people have had great success, so what it boils down to is the variances in preparation, sterility, temeprature, humidity, and so forth that naturally accompanies any grower.

--------------------
Wee, sleeket, cowran, tim'rous beastie,
O, what panic's in thy breastie!
Thou need na start awa sae hasty,
Wi' bickering brattle!

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation