Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineBigWillyWhackOff
Super Wanker
Male User Gallery

FC around fireplace?
    #17011597 - 10/11/12 12:36 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Does it matter if my FC is in a room that contains a fireplace? Im concerned about how a little smoke may effect the process. Anyone know about this?

BY the way, this is a monster FC. 109 qt. Thats actually another question. It's a foot tall and I have three inches of perlite...no way to measure humidity (never needed to with a SGFC.) Anyone know pros and cons to this setup?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineBigWillyWhackOff
Super Wanker
Male User Gallery

Re: FC around fireplace? [Re: BigWillyWhackOff]
    #17012424 - 10/11/12 02:42 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Come on guys...need some help with this one. Fruiting temps are low in the room I have FC in now. Need to know if this is viable.

I posted a comment the other day about pubic hair substrate (obviously a bit of humor) and I got so many responses it was rediculous. Now I ask a good question and everyone hides. WTF.

InvisibleCitric
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #17012431 - 10/11/12 02:44 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

The smoke would dehydrate things...

--------------------
Self Healing lid tek ** Update 10.17.17 **
Mini casing pictures: Pins to harvest
Cup O' Shrooms
Magash:  I noticed my contams were in the shape of fingers :whack:
Hyphae:  Yes  "Loss of moisture from the substrate"  is not a casing trigger.  :cuckoo:

My final Grow!

InvisibleTranscendingLife
I Don't Need a Life to Live
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: FC around fireplace? [Re: Citric]
    #17012501 - 10/11/12 02:55 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Also, remember that fireplaces pull air from surrounding rooms in order for there to be a fire.
The air currents moving through your SGFC would most likely dry it out, too.
An oil-filled radiator style electric heater would be the best.
They don't adversely effect the RH as much as a fireplace or standard space heater would.

Don't bump your own threads w/in 24 hours of posting.

--------------------
AMU: We Quickly Answer Questions Here
"One must accept the probability of failure to experience the elation of success." - TranscendingLife
“A man of genius makes no mistakes; his errors are volitional and are the portals of discovery.” - James Joyce
:sporedrop::sporedrop::mushroomgrow::sporedrop::sporedrop::wow:How I Do EVERYTHING:wow::sporedrop::sporedrop::mushroomgrow::sporedrop::sporedrop:
"Your vision will become clear only when you can look into your own heart…. Who looks outside, dreams; who looks inside, awakes."- Carl Jung
"Anything that can be done chemically can be done by other means."- William S. Burroughs
"You are as dead now as you will ever be" - Seth

OfflineTheCyndicate
Conglomerate
Male User Gallery

Loc: Outer Haven
Re: FC around fireplace? [Re: TranscendingLife]
    #17012552 - 10/11/12 03:01 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

:whathesaid:

Cyn

OfflineBigWillyWhackOff
Super Wanker
Male User Gallery

Re: FC around fireplace? [Re: TheCyndicate]
    #17012666 - 10/11/12 03:15 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Well it would be on the opposite wall of the fireplace of course. 16 by 16 room? The humidity of the room is measured at 60% with the fire place going (Oct. planting zone 5). I will still mist etc.

Its just the best room for fruit temp. This place gets coooold.

InvisibleVaeVictum
Sativa Cyborg

#17012676 - 10/11/12 03:16 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Smoke carries contaminates as well, don't think this has been mentioned yet.

Shame on you TC's.

Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: FC around fireplace? [Re: VaeVictum]
    #17012737 - 10/11/12 03:22 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Well, it sounds like you're already set on doing it.
So do it & let us know how it turns out.

IDK how the smoke would be going back into your house, but if it does, you got a problem w/ your fireplace.

You shouldn't have to worry about contams with substrate, as it's extremely contam resistant.

--------------------
"One must accept the probability of failure to experience the elation of success." - TranscendingLife
“A man of genius makes no mistakes; his errors are volitional and are the portals of discovery.” - James Joyce
:sporedrop::sporedrop::mushroomgrow::sporedrop::sporedrop::wow:How I Do EVERYTHING:wow::sporedrop::sporedrop::mushroomgrow::sporedrop::sporedrop:
"Your vision will become clear only when you can look into your own heart…. Who looks outside, dreams; who looks inside, awakes."- Carl Jung
"Anything that can be done chemically can be done by other means."- William S. Burroughs

InvisibleVaeVictum
Sativa Cyborg

#17012772 - 10/11/12 03:26 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

I sure hope you are kidding about the smoke going back into your home thing... I've had in the wall fireplaces as well as standing fireplaces. When you're starting a fire with kindling you will always have smoke coming back into your home because the fire isn't strong enough yet to force the air through the flue.

Door or not fireplaces will have smoke come out of them and into your home @ some point.

Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #17012823 - 10/11/12 03:32 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Yes, at the beginning.
But when you actually have the fire going.

I had fireplaces everywhere I lived growing up.
Never smokey in the house & we ran them all winter.
Actually, my parents still do & the only way I know they're running it is when I see the flames.

--------------------

InvisibleVaeVictum
Sativa Cyborg

#17012854 - 10/11/12 03:35 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Was just pointing out that there's tons of chances for smoke to escape. My grandparents just throw all of their paper plates and paper towels into their in the wall fireplace and the excess smoke usually pours into the house and smells awful. It's quite dumb really...

I wasn't trying to challenge you guys as TC's and was just making a joke mostly. The fact of the matter is though that smoke CAN carry contaminates and fireplaces WONT 100% carry all smoke up the chimney. I'd never keep my FC's in the same room as a fireplace for so many reasons.

Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #17012877 - 10/11/12 03:38 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Well, yea, it's going to smell up the place & cause excess smoke when you throw trash on the fire.
That's what bonfires are for, not in house fireplaces.

I know you're just razzin' us.
I'm  just giving ya some shit right back, bro.
:fishsmack:

Honestly, using a fireplace to heat a house is a futile effort.
Fireplaces pull the air from surrounding rooms to get O2.
Therefore, the room with the fireplace is warmer, yet the rest of your house gets cooler by several degrees.
If you don't believe me, you can look it up on mythbusters.

--------------------

InvisibleVaeVictum
Sativa Cyborg

#17012901 - 10/11/12 03:42 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Oh no, I grew up in a trailer and we had a fireplace that was in the living room @ one end. My bedroom was at the opposite end of the house and the only way I could ever warm up my room was to start a fire early and point some fans down the hall.

It took 8 hours but by the time I would get home and if the fire was kept going all day it would be maybe 5-10 degrees warmer.

Fireplaces are horrid for both the environment and heating in general. Also when people don't know how to adjust the flume properly everything is counter productive.

So many people leave the flume up all the time even when they have a massive fire going. :feelsbadman:

Pack that shit as full as you can once you have a nice bed of coals and then turn the flume way way down. That fire will last all day.

OfflineBigWillyWhackOff
Super Wanker
Male User Gallery

#17012913 - 10/11/12 03:44 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

When I leave the (open) doors to the fireplace barely cracked at all...thats when smoke gets in the house. And its not billowing in the fuckin house man. I mean just a little. But it can be smelled. Its a small fireplace and the pipes are clean..nothings wrong.

I measured humidity right at the fireplace and yes that is low. But across the room, it's around 60. I might try it. I just dont want hollow fruits. And if perlite takes months before it needs re-hydrating, I think it might be ok. I know its not the best idea, but right now it's all I can do. I need to just turn up the heat but I need covers for the vents for the rest of the house cause I dont use the rest of the house. It wont be too long before I do that. Right now its just cold enough to where a fire does it.

I'll see how this works. I wont have to do it for very long...even though it is the warmest place in the house. Im tossed up on it.

InvisibleVaeVictum
Sativa Cyborg

#17012946 - 10/11/12 03:46 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

High heat causes hollow fruits, lower temps will produce meatier stems. :thumbup:

Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #17012950 - 10/11/12 03:46 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

PS.C is a hollow fruit species.
You're not going to get around it unless you fruit in cooler temperatures, because they'll grow a bit slower.
&, even then, they're going to be hollow.

--------------------

OfflineBigWillyWhackOff
Super Wanker
Male User Gallery

#17013904 - 10/11/12 06:00 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

OH! I thought lower temps caused sht grows. Fuck me I got it backwards. I should be ok.

InvisibleVaeVictum
Sativa Cyborg

#17013916 - 10/11/12 06:02 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

:kenthumbup:

I've fruited down in the lower 60's and in the high 90's. mid 70's low 80's have given me the best quality of fruit personally. :thumbup:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order