Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: Perlite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineRobbiecs
Master of tehsuck
fish heater
    #1697265 - 07/08/03 08:46 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

I remember reading here awhile back (long time lurker...I have not posted in awhile) that someone was creating humidity in their terarium wby placing a light bulb in a glass of water. The result, if done properly, was that the heat from the bulb would warm the water, increase evaporation, and thus raise humidity.

Unfortunately, placing a light bulb in water just does not seem safe enough for me. Instead, I thought about it and found the perfect solution: a fish heater. So I went and bought one for about 6 bux at Wal-mart and placed it in a tall glass of water in an empty terarium.

It should be noted that I have not tried this with anything yet. Soon, though I will. For the moment only an empty terarium has been used. Anyway, when I ran the heater I got 92% humidity after about 1 hour and 45 minutes. Over night, the humidity was about 94%. And the water level did not drop very much in the glass (the water must keep the heater completely submerged). I got nice condesation on the walls (no big droplets). To me, this seem like a perfect setup: no mess of perlite, no misting, and nice humidity.

Has anyone tried this? And I will let you know of the results as they apper in a few weeks.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineFallenShroom
Shagadelic

Re: fish heater [Re: Robbiecs]
    #1697281 - 07/08/03 08:56 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

to me that would be a temperature increaser in these hot summer days it is hard enough . afoaf uses that in the winter time to raise the temp always used perlite with it so cant say it helped the humidity

--------------------

OfflineRobbiecs
Master of tehsuck
Re: fish heater [Re: FallenShroom]
    #1697308 - 07/08/03 09:05 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Yeah, that is true...it would be an issue with the summer...but I lived in a apartment complex where they actually want the windows closed in the summer (something about water condensation on the air conditioners) so that means that I must keep my air on all the time. Wierd, I know, but it is actually in my lease.

Oh, and the temp on my terarium was hovering at around 76 degrees so the temp doesn't get raised that much anyway.

I just think it might be a viable alternative to perlite.

OfflineFallenShroom
Shagadelic

Re: fish heater [Re: Robbiecs]
    #1697325 - 07/08/03 09:13 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

cool if you have winter temps indoor now keep us informed on how they pinned with just the heater and water good luck :smile:

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: Perlite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation