Home | Community | Message Board

SoulSpeciosa Kratom
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Air Pump, Aquarium Heater, HEPA Filter, Perlite, Ultrasonic Humidifier

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineCypher
Shroom of manyfaces

Loc: Northern Ireland
Modified fish tank
    #2064423 - 11/02/03 08:20 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Having just completed my first grow using a moodified pf-tek i came up with and idea for a modified fish tank that should help cut down on contams and increase growing speed. I'm just posting this as an idea, i havent tried the full design yet, but will do so for my next grow. At that point ill post any modifications to the design as necessary.

What you need-
Fish tank
Aquarium heater
Stick on thermometer
Small fan (like the one used to cool your motherboard)
Drill
Spray bottle
Fluffy cloth
Glue

What to do-
1)Ttake the lid of your fishtank and drill 2 holes near the centre of the lid like this lid [------o------o-----], the holes should be the same size as the spray nozzle of your bottle.
2)drill another hole this time the size of your fan, location isnt that important although id suggest it being in one of the corners.
3)turn the lid upside down and glue a peice of fluffy colothe to the inside like this - -----------------lid
-***************-fluffy clothe
4)Attach thefan to the lid over its hole
5)now stick the fish rank thermometer to the inside of the tank
6)make a solution of 9 parts water to 1 part bleach
7)cleans the tanks outside and in, the lid and the heater with this solution and allow to dry with lid on and fan on. Also clean the spray bottle outside and in.
8)place the cleaned heater in the tank
9)add enough sterilised distilled water (to sterilise it boil for an hour) to cover the heater. Also fill ur spray bottle with sterilised distilled water and close.
10) in the lid at the spray holes peirce the clothe so the noxzzle can be peirced thru, do not touch the cloth under the fan.

How it works-
Because the tank has the automated ability to provide everything the shrooms or colonies need to grow the times you have to open the tank is greatly reduced and thus so is the risk of contam. The fan provides air circulation but the clothe doesnt allow foreign bodies to enter the tank. The cloth at the top absorbs excess water and thus cuts down on humidity which was a problem because of the higher temperatures used at this setup(being 31 deg c in incubation and 29 deg c at casing.) Mmositure is added by misting once daily thru the spray holes, the nozzle of the spray bottle should be cleaned before entering the tank. The fan should be turned on for 3 hours morning and night. As for light source one isnt needed as although shrooms do need light to grow as long as ur able to see the shrooms inside the tank there enough light present to allow proper growth.

Im nearly sure thats all, if anyone wants to suggest modifications or faults feel free i want to perfetc this design before i grow with it. Thanks in advance

--------------------
I think i took too much............

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineCypher
Shroom of manyfaces

Re: Modified fish tank [Re: Cypher]
    #2065161 - 11/02/03 03:34 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

any comments?

--------------------

OfflineDemiurge
creator ofworlds

Loc: Florida
Re: Modified fish tank [Re: Cypher]
    #2067104 - 11/03/03 04:15 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Unless you live in Alaska or something, there is no reason to put a heater in your terrarium. Cubensis will fruit fine in anything above 21 degrees celcius (70F). 29 degrees C is not a good temp for fruiting. That's way to hot! Get rid of the heater.

Most people prefer not to use fans because they kill the humidity. A cool mist humidifier, or a fish tank air pump hooked up to a bubbler works much better for air exchange and will also provide a consistent humidity. A fish tank pump can also be left on 24/7.

Also, it sounds like you plan to have standing water in the bottom of the fish tank. Standing water is not a good idea. Contams love to grow in it. Use perlite or geolite instead.

Cloth isn't the best filter either, and you don't want your "filter" absorbing humidity. (contam issue) Polyfill, a hepa filter, or even a good dust mask will do the job much better.

--------------------
Just another animal embeded in a technological coral reef extruded psychic objects...

Anonymous

Re: Modified fish tank [Re: Demiurge]
    #2067117 - 11/03/03 04:21 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

i reckon a pc fan will be ok for humidity and air-exchange if its hooked thru a timer for like 1 x 1 min blows per hour.
goodluck cypher!

OfflineCypher
Shroom of manyfaces

Re: Modified fish tank [Re: Demiurge]
    #2070052 - 11/04/03 01:30 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

thanks a lot man, will modify accordingly

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Air Pump, Aquarium Heater, HEPA Filter, Perlite, Ultrasonic Humidifier

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation