Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Readers and Writers
    #16910438 -

What is your favorite classic book? And why?

What draws you to it? What makes you passionate about the story? Who is your favorite character? Does that character inspire you? How did you feel after you read the book?


--------------------
TRUMP 2020

Edited by XUL (09/25/12 06:52 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Readers and Writers [Re: XUL]
    #16910478 -

XUL said:
What is your favorite classical book? And why?

What draws you to it? What makes you passionate about the story? Who is your favorite character? Does that character inspire you? How did you feel after you read the book?



My favorite "classical" book is 'The Giver'

I haven't read it in ages though, and don't remember the boys name. But I loved him, because after he got all the knowledge of what life was like outside the "utopia" he wanted to live in a world that wasn't perfect, and save his "Brother."

That book will always be epic to me.


--------------------
To find yourself alone, is to find yourself with your greatest friend, and your worst enemy.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Readers and Writers [Re: DarkElf]
    #16910500 -

A book never quite hit me so hard as A Scanner Darkly did and I literally just finished it yesterday.

It made me look at the world differently whenever I read it. It makes you think and wonder. What is real?


--------------------

Take a look at my journal

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Readers and Writers [Re: DarkElf]
    #16910553 -

DarkElf said:
XUL said:
What is your favorite classical book? And why?

What draws you to it? What makes you passionate about the story? Who is your favorite character? Does that character inspire you? How did you feel after you read the book?



My favorite "classical" book is 'The Giver'

I haven't read it in ages though, and don't remember the boys name. But I loved him, because after he got all the knowledge of what life was like outside the "utopia" he wanted to live in a world that wasn't perfect, and save his "Brother."

That book will always be epic to me.



The giver is awesome but it rips off brave new world in a lot of ways.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Readers and Writers [Re: lar20]
    #16910557 -

I like Atlas Shrugged.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Readers and Writers [Re: XUL]
    #16910640 -

XUL said:
What is your favorite classic book? And why?

What draws you to it? What makes you passionate about the story? Who is your favorite character? Does that character inspire you? How did you feel after you read the book?



Classic?  Ugh, not sure what defines that.  I'm a big reader, but read a narrow array of subjects.  Science, history, science-fiction.

As far as classic goes I would have to go with H.G. Wells The Time Machine.  One of the first sci-fi books I remember reading, and a great catalyst for some grand outside the box thinking (for a youth).

Sci-Fi gets a bad wrap when it comes to 'literature' and associated circles.  This has been changing over the generations though and in the future it will probably be taken more seriously.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Readers and Writers [Re: Darwin23]
    #16910650 -

Darwin23 said:
A book never quite hit me so hard as A Scanner Darkly did and I literally just finished it yesterday.

It made me look at the world differently whenever I read it. It makes you think and wonder. What is real?



Check out the movie, its pretty good.  I just found out about it a year or two ago, it does the book justice (especially compared to other movie adaptations).

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Readers and Writers [Re: DieCommie]
    #16910656 -

DieCommie said:
XUL said:
What is your favorite classic book? And why?

What draws you to it? What makes you passionate about the story? Who is your favorite character? Does that character inspire you? How did you feel after you read the book?



Classic?  Ugh, not sure what defines that.  I'm a big reader, but read a narrow array of subjects.  Science, history, science-fiction.

As far as classic goes I would have to go with H.G. Wells The Time Machine.  One of the first sci-fi books I remember reading, and a great catalyst for some grand outside the box thinking (for a youth).

Sci-Fi gets a bad wrap when it comes to 'literature' and associated circles.  This has been changing over the generations though and in the future it will probably be taken more seriously.



Arthur C. Clark predicted satellites and there impact on human society in a short story he wrote in the 50s! :eek:


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Readers and Writers [Re: Gilgamesh18]
    #16910702 -

In that vein, the work of William Gibson and Neuromancer in particular is quite visionary.  He wrote that in the early 80s, amazing how he fathomed and articulated the future in comparison to so many other sci-fis that missed the boat entirely.  Where Clarke starts to go wrong, Gibson gets it right.

Maybe a little early to be a classic, but it should and probably will be.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Readers and Writers [Re: DieCommie]
    #16910737 -

DieCommie said:
In that vein, the work of William Gibson and Neuromancer in particular is quite visionary.  He wrote that in the early 80s, amazing how he fathomed and articulated the future in comparison to so many other sci-fis that missed the boat entirely.  Where Clarke starts to go wrong, Gibson gets it right.

Maybe a little early to be a classic, but it should and probably will be.



Aye neuromancer is an excellent work.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Readers and Writers [Re: XUL]
    #16910770 -

ok, it has turned out to be incredibly difficult for me to select just one--so out of all the books i want to choose, i'll go with the one i've read the most times: on the road, by jack kerouac

i enjoy both the original version, and the unedited scroll version---but definitely enjoy the scrolls rhythm more. partly i'm drawn to the book because of the wild and passionate view of life it portrays--it always reminds me to dig life, to just be carried along--it is literary jazz.

it's hard to exactly put into words, but reading on the road helped to make me aware of--or maybe, to open up to--my unconscious stream of thought--not to control it, but more to open up a conduit to it--whereby i am able to experience life both indirectly, and directly--this wasn't gained so much through the plot of the novel, rather than the sense of emotion the style of writing evokes--to me, it is that stream of unconsciousness (albeit of another person) that it led me too.

as for inspirational characters from the book, definitely the one portraying jack kerouac himself, because it is his thought process that is the books narration--but also neal cassady, simply for his wild exuberance and lust for life


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Readers and Writers [Re: shivas.wisdom]
    #16911176 -

The Old Man and the Sea, by Earnest Hemingway
The old man with nothing and noone to live for, close to death, inspired by a young boy, heads out to sea, and engages in an epic battle... written very straight forward, without ornamentation. There is a reason it is a classic.

Breakfast of Champions by Kurt Vonnegut.

Really, my favorite book by Vonnegut is Blue Beard. I enjoy what it has to say about art, and peoples' relation to it. But Breakfast is a good place to start with Vonneguts books. They all sort of weave together.

I also really enjoy the Czech existentialist author, Milan Kundera. Particularly The Unbearable Lightness of Being, and Immortality.

Walden by Henry David Thoreau is solidly the most important book I have ever read. I re-read it frequently.

Lullaby by Chuck Palanhiuk was very good. Of course, fight club too.

For anyone who has ever hated their job, The Post Office by lowlife-poet Charles Bukowski is both depressing and devilishly funny.

And, of course, Mycelium Running by Paul Stamets.

Peace
-BluShoes :mushroom2:

Edited by BluShoes (09/25/12 10:56 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Readers and Writers [Re: BluShoes]
    #16915092 -

Quote:
The Old Man and the Sea, by Earnest Hemingway
The old man with nothing and noone to live for, close to death, inspired by a young boy, heads out to sea, and engages in an epic battle... written very straight forward, without ornamentation. There is a reason it is a classic.




Amazing. I smuggled that book into Navy boot camp and read it there during the night. I was truly inspired. I absolutely love the ending and it inspired me to simply do what I love. What a great book.

I recently read Hemingway's The Sun Also Rises and I loved that too. I have to admit at first I was a little pissed off because half of the book was static, but it eventually picked up. I adore the ending of this book too.


--------------------
TRUMP 2020

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Readers and Writers [Re: BluShoes]
    #16915115 -

BluShoes said:
Breakfast of Champions by Kurt Vonnegut.

Really, my favorite book by Vonnegut is Blue Beard. I enjoy what it has to say about art, and peoples' relation to it. But Breakfast is a good place to start with Vonneguts books. They all sort of weave together.




I think Slaughterhouse-five and Cat's Cradle are far better than Breakfast. Breakfast felt a bit sloppy and gimmicky, even though there were some pretty little clever, darkly humourous, insights in it (because it's Vonnegut after all).


--------------------
I have pneumonia :pm:


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Readers and Writers [Re: XUL]
    #16915123 -

XUL said:
What is your favorite classic book? And why?

What draws you to it? What makes you passionate about the story? Who is your favorite character? Does that character inspire you? How did you feel after you read the book?




define classic please?


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Readers and Writers [Re: yogabunny]
    #16915154 -

The Famished Road, oh my god that book rips it.

It's about a child born in Africa who has close ties to the spirit world, also integrates a historical political situation.  It's magical, no other way to describe it.  Very visionary.  Hits you on emotional and imaginative levels....



--------------------
check out my music!
drowse in prison and your waking will be but loss

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* What did you eat for breakfast this morning?
( 1 2 all )
Breakfast Crew 3,302 22 01/27/09 03:46 PM
by Cognitive_Shift
* Bluebeard by Vonnegut Phishgrrl 912 11 08/09/04 01:20 PM
by Phishgrrl
* your take on writers and such
( 1 2 all )
Bridgeburner 1,296 22 11/07/07 05:51 AM
by badchad
* Kurt Vonnegut Noetical 797 11 06/14/05 06:44 PM
by gdman
* Dear readers... wyldeman007 572 3 10/02/08 12:27 AM
by antiPock
* Writers block ZippoZM 411 1 12/27/06 05:15 PM
by LuNaTiX
* Writers Guild set to strike on Monday. THE KRAT BARON 557 1 11/04/07 03:33 AM
by Seuss
* any readers here? camelsmoker 787 12 08/26/06 11:50 PM
by eligal

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Entire Staff
436 topic views. 3 members, 132 guests and 117 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.032 seconds spending 0.004 seconds on 14 queries.