Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
RIBS people.
    #16446789 -

Making ribs tomorrow just thought I'd ask how the Pub cooks their ribs, may the be beef or pork. Post here, what you do and the recipes.

I'll be following this site
http://www.amazingribs.com/recipes/porknography/best_BBQ_ribs_ever.html
with Meathead's Memphis Dust Rub and then either going with the KC Classic sauce or Tennessee Hollerin' Whiskey Barbecue Sauce with basil haydens instead of jack.

:cookiemonster:


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: RIBS people. [Re: unknown1123]
    #16446950 -

Beef I do with teriaki sauce & emril rib rub over charcoal for 25-ish minutes coals should be hot first
Pork take too long so Tony's delicatessen pre cooks and then just heat em on gas grill.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: RIBS people. [Re: Dest]
    #16446974 -

I've never cooked ribs before, by my mom makes some bangin ribs. She'd always pressure cook them first (not sure if she marinated them/did a rub first), then did a dry rub or slather them in some sauce and then toss them on the grill or in the oven depending on the season. They would fall apart as you picked them up. Fuckin delicious. If you wanna know how she did it I can give her a call.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: RIBS people. [Re: unknown1123]
    #16446992 -

Cover pork ribs with a light coating of yellow mustard.  Apply dry rub liberally all over and wrap tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.  Smoke them at 220*F with whatever wood you like, apple is probably my main choice.  I like to use a spray bottle with filtered apple cider and spray that lightly on the ribs every hour.  Cook them at 220 for a few hours, until if you grab the larger end of the ribs in the middle with a pair of tongs and hold them horizontally, if the meat breaks apart easily, they're done.  If not keep cooking.
Ribs aren't good if they aren't slow-cooked on a smoker.  Sauce only goes on at the table never on the ribs before.  Pre-sauced ribs means they were grilled or baked in an oven, neither of which is good.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: RIBS people. [Re: abltsandwich]
    #16447030 -

Good additions people

@Gumby, if you think it would add to the thread and are bored, sure be my guest.

Going to try and cook them at least for 3 hours and season them all day, but use olive oil instead of a mustard base coat.

P.S. I have one of those new TRU-Infrared gas grills.

This one:
http://www.wayfair.com/Char-Broil-580-Sq.Inch-Performance-TRU-Infrared-Gas-Grill-with-4-Burners-Side-Burner-and-Autoclean-463271312-HBL1018.html?refid=GPA49-HBL1018&gclid=CPuO_5jg77ACFQjf4AodXF1MuA


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: RIBS people. [Re: unknown1123] * 2
    #16447049 -

secret blend of spices that I make up on the spot, smoke, come back to ribs
and put them on the grill to smoke then smoke some more until the ribs are
done, eat ribs, smoke some more

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: RIBS people. [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #16447069 -

Pris would you add or take out any of this

3/4 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
3/4 cup white sugar
1/2 cup paprika
1/4 cup kosher salt
1/4 cup garlic powder
2 tablespoons ground black pepper
2 tablespoons ground ginger powder
2 tablespoons onion powder
2 teaspoons rosemary powder

Makes about 3 cups. Typically use about 1 tablespoon per side of a slab of St. Louis cut ribs, and a bit less for baby backs.


--------------------

Edited by unknown1123 (06/27/12 07:22 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: RIBS people. [Re: unknown1123]
    #16447298 -

I have a really good rib recipe. I've tried everything from broiling to pressure cooking and this is the best by far.

Put what ever spices you like on your ribs. I use something like thyme, pepper,and garlic.

Then I put half orange juice and half BBQ sauce in a baking dish. I use good OJ with pulp and Sweet Baby Rays BBQ sauce because it the best sauce.

I cover the baking dish with foil and cook for around 4 hours at 220. Flip them at the 2 hour mark. They will be so juicy and delicious. The meat falls right off the bone without even touching it.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: RIBS people. [Re: unknown1123]
    #16449534 -

With that rub recipe I'd just go with more light brown sugar than the dark brown + white sugar combo.  Brown sugar = white sugar + molasses, and the darker the brown sugar the more molasses, so adding white sugar to dark brown sugar = light brown sugar.  You can save a step by skipping the dark+white combo and going for the light brown in the rub, or you could do all white and add molasses in the amount you like.  I'd also add ground cumin to the recipe in place of the ginger.  When it comes down to it, the rub doesn't make as big a difference as does the cooking method.  The rub is going to be charred, crusty, and super smoky by the time they're done cooking and most of the flavors by that point will be muted a lot.  Generally you could just use plain salt and pepper and still get class A ribs if you cook them right. 

What really makes ribs good or bad is the proper and full conversion of collagen in the connective tissue into gelatin and the amount of smoky bark you have on the outside, which the spray bottle of apple cider helps a lot and so does the mustard as the vinegar and water in it evaporate. 

Don't use olive oil on the base, it's bad news for this purpose.  The mustard is there so that when the vinegar and water evaporate it leaves a crusty thing that makes a really nice "bark" on the ribs.  It's something done a lot in BBQ competitions, and it leaves literally no discernible mustard flavor on the ribs.  It's a texture thing mostly, and the vinegar in the mustard tenderizes the meat a little.  But if anything don't do the oil first.  You want the seasoning, specifically the salt and sugar, in contact with the meat directly.  This pulls moisture out of the meat at first, but then as the sugar-salt and water concentrations balance out via osmosis, the meat will pull the (now flavored) moisture back into the meat and the texture and flavor are hugely benefited.  That's why you wrap it tightly with plastic wrap overnight, and when done right you'll already have a light crust on the meat before you cook it.  If you put a coating of oil between the meat and seasonings, that whole process won't happen. 

:billnye:

Edited by abltsandwich (06/28/12 06:24 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: RIBS people. [Re: abltsandwich]
    #16452340 -

used oil, ribs are in their 2+ hour of cooking and they have a superb crust :raveface:


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: RIBS people. [Re: unknown1123]
    #16452379 -

I always rub my ribs down with a simple mix of salt,pepper,garlic and onion.Then marinate it in my favorite bar b q sauce then cook it for about 6 hours in a crock pot its as tender as could be every time as if you got it from chilis,wait no better.Im also really lazy when it comes to cooking so i factor that in


--------------------
All you need is love:heart:

I believe in everything until it's disproved. So I believe in fairies, the myths, dragons. It all exists, even if it's in your mind. Who's to say that dreams and nightmares aren't as real as the here and now?-John Lennon

I'm not going to change the way I look or the way I feel to conform to anything. I've always been a freak. So I've been a freak all my life and I have to live with that, you know. I'm one of those people.
-John Lennon

Life is like a dang old rubix cube you get one side right you mess up the other-Boomhauer
To do list-Ketamine:specialk:, Mushrooms:heart:,LSD:awecid::,Salvia:rocket:,DMT,DXM:crazy2:,Cocaine:rail2:,2c-e:pipesmoke:,Molly:rave:,E:heart:,MXE, 4-Aco-DMT, 25inbome:heart:,6-APB and    5-meo-dalt

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Looking for a quick ribs recipe before I go shopping. NewbieS 954 12 08/09/07 02:38 PM
by Newbie
* The rib appreciation thread deranger 2,544 19 08/17/08 08:38 AM
by altershroom
* BBQ Ribs... It's what's for dinner KillerPicklez 672 14 06/28/12 10:28 PM
by KillerPicklez
* Nothing's cutting the mustard!
( 1 2 all )
youbreakyoubuy 3,248 20 09/12/09 10:01 PM
by youbreakyoubuy
* Awesome Spicy Brown Mustard Recipe I Stumbled Upon! Great gift idea for the holidays or anytime! DeadPhan 558 2 12/20/11 04:37 PM
by DeadPhan
* How do I make fall-off-the-bone ribs? Irishdrunk 901 19 11/11/05 10:44 PM
by kosmic_charlie
* Ribs, ribs and more ribs gENERIX 145 0 11/17/12 08:40 AM
by gENERIX
* bomb ass recipe for some ultra tender pork ribs deXtrous 1,380 11 06/09/10 10:50 PM
by WakeboardrB

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Entire Staff
487 topic views. 3 members, 6 guests and 153 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.026 seconds spending 0.005 seconds on 16 queries.