Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineBladeLSD
Squirrel Master

Amazing 7hr sterilization results
    #1623119 - 06/10/03 06:05 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Like I said in a previous post, AFOAF accidentally boil sterilized jars of BRF&VERM for 7hrs because he fell asleep. Anyways he decided to inoculate them PESA  so on 5/30 2003 12 1/2 pint jars were knocked up, and placed in a shoebox.The shoe box was placed next to a laptop in a drawer. he rigged this up quick as a somewhat incubator(incubating the box&drawer when the laptop is not in use) .  yesterday he noticed (6/9/03) one of the jars was 100% colonized......thats only 10 days too 100%.... fastest I've ever seen, and its the best luck my friend has had since his hiatus from the hobby.  today the jar was looking even nicer, but he's going to give the jar a couple days in the jar before he births. :grin: :cool: :wink:  . :grin: :cool: :wink: 

--------------------
We might get glimpse's of objectivity every now, and then, but we're so inherently locked in our temporal and corporeal selves that we're irrevocably locked into subjectivity :crazy:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinekykeon
Dead wishes

Loc: A universe right next to ...
Re: Amazing 7hr sterilization results [Re: BladeLSD]
    #1623151 - 06/10/03 06:47 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

i have a dummy question. hm. well two in one.

how much water did he put in the pot? 7hrs of boiling must have left nothing at all... also how much water did he put inside the jars? 7hrs of boiling must have left no water inside the substrate.

soundz 2 fuckin weird 2 me.

--------------------
The living ghost of Kykeon

OfflinePooPs
What's thisfor???

Loc: Stirrin up the pile!
Re: Amazing 7hr sterilization results [Re: kykeon]
    #1623234 - 06/10/03 07:53 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

with a lid on the pot, the steam drips back into the pot.... but yes 7 hrs it alot!!

water in the jars.. well tape them holes shut and have the lids just tight enough to hold on.... with all that steam in the pot, the jars should not dry out!

--------------------

-----------
Sniff, Sniff... What's that smell???... ohhhhh.!!
------------------

Pot Free for another : nevermind.. never made it..

OfflineBladeLSD
Squirrel Master

Re: Amazing 7hr sterilization results [Re: PooPs]
    #1623322 - 06/10/03 09:04 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

actually the jars had no lids just tinfoil tops ala annos pf-tek, there was just a little water in the 2in, and a towel in the bottom of the pot and my friend fell asleep, the lid is very tight fitting and it was on a very low boil, and it seems all turned out well. I posted the 7hr sterilization previously, about 10 days ago or so

--------------------
We might get glimpse's of objectivity every now, and then, but we're so inherently locked in our temporal and corporeal selves that we're irrevocably locked into subjectivity :crazy:

Offlinekukusz
Owner of belowhot monkey!

Loc: East Coast
    #1623491 - 06/10/03 10:58 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

My donkey did over 3.5 hours accidently and all his jars were great - also had better luck with the over-sterilized ones than with others. I think as long as they are sitting on towels and you have the lids on tight everything works fine. Actually, my donkey told me that he woke up this morning to find his first ever pins right on those cakes.

--------------------
All of my posts are for discussion purposes only. All posts concerning cultivation of mushrooms refer to legal gourmet mushrooms only. Yes, I support monkey-human relationships.

Anonymous

Re: Amazing 7hr sterilization results [Re: kukusz]
    #1623534 - 06/10/03 11:25 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

wow...I always thought over cooking was a big problem..I use lids that don't have holes poked in them for sterilizing so they vacuum seal after they've cooled so losing water in the sterilizing process wouldn't be a problem

Offlinekykeon
Dead wishes

Loc: A universe right next to ...
Re: Amazing 7hr sterilization results [Re: ]
    #1623797 - 06/10/03 01:59 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

wow...I always thought over cooking was a big problem..

For crying out loud, overcooking IS a problem. I think the original post by BladeLSD is kinda misleading. I dont have any reasons to say that things arent as said. What I do believe is that in his case there were many reasons that did NOT lead to overcooking. The temperature was low, at least lower than the temperatures most of us use when cooking the jars unter normal periods.

So, pls dont take an example from someone, to lead your efforts into wrong steps. Overcooking means cooking more than you should; if you do that, the jars have a problem, period. BlaseLSD probably didnt overcooked the jars. So i dont think its much of a deal, unless you want to have the stove under attention for 7 hrs. I prefer doing other things. :smile: 

--------------------
The living ghost of Kykeon

OfflineBladeLSD
Squirrel Master

Re: Amazing 7hr sterilization results [Re: kykeon]
    #1628940 - 06/12/03 01:09 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Well, I dont know how YOU do things but normally, I boil sterilize jars for 45min-1.5hrs, and then allow them to cool I always use the same pot, and I always have a towel underneath the jars in the pot. I always follow the same procedure of allowing the pot to boil at the lowest boil possible. I fell asleep while this was occuring, and the jars did in fact over cook, I left them in the pot for 7hrs, thats about 6hrs longer than I normally would, and those jars out performed jars which were cooked up a week later using my normal 1hr cooking procedure. I dont see how I misled anyone, Im not telling anyone to go out, and boil sterilize there jars for 7hrs, in fact this occured on accident it was a complete mistake I wont be repeating, and Im damn lucky I didnt burn my house down, or atleast create quite a mess. I am simply posting the results of what occured, for information purposes, do I think you should boil sterilize your jars for 7hrs, no, but Im not leading anyone to do anything just posting information, also when I first posted about this accident I was considering throwing the jars out, but someone suggested I atleast give em a try, and it seems all turned out well so I'd like to thank Anno for suggesting I delve into the unknown...simmna chill....

--------------------

Invisiblecalicyco
    #1628972 - 06/12/03 01:20 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

I simply think a false conclusion is being drawn here, thats all. The 7 hour boil time is not what is causing those jars to do so well. Its just a coincidence. In fact, had the jars not been overcooked, its quite possible they would be doing even better. Probably just some really agressive spores, or a larger then normal amount of them. Who knows. Nothing to freak out about, not amazing at all. Just the natural variability of fungus life cycles.

OfflineBladeLSD
Squirrel Master

Re: Amazing 7hr sterilization results [Re: calicyco]
    #1633010 - 06/14/03 11:28 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

no ones freaking out and i havnt posted any conclusions like I said just the results, and the only reason I'm even posting it is because I made a previous post about accidentally overcooking the jars How long is too long? 5/29/03 so I tried it out, and that is the result of one of the jars the rest finished 2-3 days after, and two succomed to contamination.  It seems you are taking what im saying the wrong way, I thought they would not colonize at all.  Well it turns out these jars gave me the best results I have seen in a long time, all Im saying is that I expected nothin, and they definatly gave me more than I bargained for...so as you can see there are no conclusions being drawn here these are just results plain and simple, what caused those results well you be the judge, I'm simply posting results. :grin: 

--------------------

OfflineAmuro
not a stranger
Loc: Northeast U.S.
    #1633157 - 06/14/03 01:09 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

10 day's ... sounds like it got alot of spore sollution in that jar. My friend used up last 2 cc's of Hawaiian in one jar and it innoculated in about 10 days.

How many jars did you do with one syringe?

--------------------
You want them to like you, but then forget you the moment you leave.

"Government was created so they could tell people how to live"

Edited by Amuro (06/14/03 01:11 PM)

InvisibleOscuro_lobo
Dark Wolf

Loc: it doesn't really matter.
Re: Amazing 7hr sterilization results [Re: ]
    #1633170 - 06/14/03 01:15 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

I use lids that don't have holes poked in them for sterilizing so they vacuum seal after they've cooled so losing water in the sterilizing process wouldn't be a problem

In my experience, doing jars like this is a bad thing. You create a negaitive pressure inside the jars, like you said, a vacuum seal. Only problem is when you go to innoculate them, and crack the lid open, lots of air rushes in at a fairly high speed.  Contams  :frown:

I also had the problem with taping over the holes in the lids while they were still hot, again setting up a negative pressure in the jars. When I'd poke through the lids with the spore syringe, the entire thing would get sucked in to a single jar.

Only had to do that once to figure out not to do that again  :grin: 

Offlinephotovorix
retard
Loc: US
Re: Amazing 7hr sterilization results [Re: Amuro]
    #1633209 - 06/14/03 01:37 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

10 day's ... sounds like it got alot of spore sollution in that jar. My friend used up last 2 cc's of Hawaiian in one jar and it innoculated in about 10 days.

How many jars did you do with one syringe?

Uh... it colonized in 10 days, unless you squirted those 2cc's in very slowly ;-)

OfflineAmuro
not a stranger
Re: Amazing 7hr sterilization results [Re: photovorix]
    #1633225 - 06/14/03 01:47 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Uh... it colonized in 10 days, unless you squirted those 2cc's in very slowly ;-)

I know it colonized in 10 days.
The more spore sollution that is added to a jar the faster it's going to colonize. If he used 10 cc's for five jars. they're going to coloize faster than 10cc's divided between 10 jars. Perhaps I wasn't clear with my post.

--------------------

Invisiblepussycontrol
unregistered

Loc: unregistered
    #1633247 - 06/14/03 01:58 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Are U Using A PRESSURE COOKER.
What psi were you set on? 15psi for that long carmelizes the substrate..

I simpily cant grow shit for some reason lately. And its came down to needing a accurate pressure cooker. accuracy is key, and cooking time is kinda important too.

Offlinephotovorix
retard
Loc: US
    #1633264 - 06/14/03 02:07 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

I was just shittin ya, because you said it innoculated in 10 days ;-)

Quote:

Quote:

I know it colonized in 10 days.
The more spore sollution that is added to a jar the faster it's going to colonize. If he used 10 cc's for five jars. they're going to coloize faster than 10cc's divided between 10 jars. Perhaps I wasn't clear with my post.

OfflineAmuro
not a stranger
    #1633267 - 06/14/03 02:08 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

wooops.
no offense taken. I guess it was my post

--------------------

Edited by Amuro (06/14/03 02:10 PM)

OfflineBladeLSD
Squirrel Master

#1633359 - 06/14/03 03:22 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

I used about 1 cc per jar 1 syringe filled up 9 jars, and a honey culture

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract