Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 |  [ show all ]
Turn a retired Incubator into a Hermit Crab House!
    #1502271 -

My sister had some hermit crabs that were neglected... and nearing death.
I took pity on them, did some research on the net, and discovered that growing hermit crabs is just as easy as growing shrooms! They grow in similiar environments, coincidentially.

So what I did was took a retired 6-gallon incubator, set the dial to 80F (Hermit crabs live in 70-80F), and filled the upper tub with some calcium carbonate + blue sand.
Then I took a cup of spring water (Hermit Crabs can't stand chlorine) and filled up a small dish.
Hermit Crabs live in 50-80% Rel. Humidity. Good thing I still had my retired air-pump and air-stones. This provided adequate humidity when bubbling in a cup of spring water.

PICS AT BOTTOM!



--------------------
Fold for The Shroomery!

Edited by daba (06/01/03 02:48 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Turn a retired Incubator into a Hermit Crab House! [Re: daba]
    #1502598 -

your kidding right ?


--------------------
Final last words... What's this button do ?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Turn a retired Incubator into a Hermit Crab House! [Re: cupid]
    #1502622 -

Nope, I'm serious!
Want more info?


--------------------
Fold for The Shroomery!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Turn a retired Incubator into a Hermit Crab House! [Re: cupid]
    #1502624 -

That's not hard to belive is it?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Turn a retired Incubator into a Hermit Crab House! [Re: funkymonk]
    #1502630 -

I will take whatever you got....


--------------------
Final last words... What's this button do ?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Turn a retired Incubator into a Hermit Crab House! [Re: cupid]
    #1502663 -

yes, please, send us some pics !!! thank you for saving those little crabs !

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Turn a retired Incubator into a Hermit Crab House! [Re: KOPELANDIAA]
    #1502703 -

Well... I only had to buy two things... that was a reptile tray so the crabs could drink w/o drowning themselves (which is full of blue sand right now, they are messy fellas) and some hermit crab food.

They are omnivores, so they eat basically anything, not to mention they are also scavengers. They don't like watermelon though!

The setup concept is very simple: Here is a crude drawing I made in PAINT:


Note: You can also get some T-Rex Stone (pet stores) which is basically CaCO3 and some sand. This is what I got, but it's somewhat costly. However, its edible, so that satisfies the crab's calcium requirements. You can also use sand and CaCO3, but you'll have to measure it out.

Hermit crabs can live up to 20 years in the wild. Maybe I'll have these guys for the next decade or two! hehe.

I'll take pics later (probably tonite or tomorrow).


--------------------
Fold for The Shroomery!

Edited by daba (04/28/03 10:31 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Turn a retired Incubator into a Hermit Crab House! [Re: daba]
    #1502716 -

props


--------------------
Final last words... What's this button do ?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Turn a retired Incubator into a Hermit Crab House! [Re: cupid]
    #1503523 -

wow! very interesting.

i kept some hermit crabs that i caught in the philippines and smuggled back to America in a pringles can. they only lived for a few months though :grin:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Turn a retired Incubator into a Hermit Crab House! [Re: boO]
    #1503535 -

Are they tasty? :grin:


--------------------


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Turn a retired Incubator into a Hermit Crab House [pics] [Re: Paid]
    #1597702 -

Long awaited pics have arrived... they seem to not like these crackers I gave them, but they always eat the hermit crab food and baby carrots!

View of the "house" without lid.


Inside view


Another inside view


Hello there! One of the three hermit crabs living in this "house"


Enjoy :laugh:! 


--------------------
Fold for The Shroomery!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Turn a retired Incubator into a Hermit Crab House! [Re: daba]
    #1597811 -


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Turn a retired Incubator into a Hermit Crab House! [Re: ]
    #1612726 -

Anyways, I went to the mall the other day... some guy was selling hermit crabs at $15 a crab and $7 for half a coconut with a hole drilled in it serving as a small cave.

So I went to the market and bought a coconut... cracked it in half, and now I am currently transforming it into a small cave. Let you guys know later.

Also, I am adding some dried Cholla Cactus so the crabs can climb around. More pics to come, stay tuned...


--------------------
Fold for The Shroomery!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Turn a retired Incubator into a Hermit Crab House! [Re: ]
    #1612750 -

Post Deleted by Administrator

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Turn a retired Incubator into a Hermit Crab House! [Re: ]
    #1612773 -

I call the football one Football.
I call the White one Sloan.
I call the Blue one daba jr.


--------------------
Fold for The Shroomery!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Turn a retired Incubator into a Hermit Crab House [pics] [Re: daba]
    #1613553 -

Why have they been painted??  :confused:


--------------------
"live fast, die fast"

-- gg allin

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Turn a retired Incubator into a Hermit Crab House! [Re: daba]
    #1614192 -

Wanna have some fun? Grab one of the crabs antenna, you can now walk it right out of it`s shell.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Turn a retired Incubator into a Hermit Crab House! [Re: puscle]
    #1614839 -

One time I caught hermit crabs on vacation but didn't know you had to feed them or give them water (I was young). Then one day I picked up the shell and the white dried up dead crab just fell right out. :frown:

I'm jelous of your aquarium. That's cool. The only pet of my own that I have to take care of is my bean plant I smuggled from our science room... Been growing for 3 days but no sprouts yet! Can't wait to have my own been plants. 40 seeds + 1 tiny pot = a fuckload of plants.

I also want siamese fighting fish, and a frog.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Turn a retired Incubator into a Hermit Crab House! [Re: jarby]
    #1615917 -

With the addition of the Cholla cactus... it's getting a bit cramped.
I might have to move them to a bigger tub, another one of my old incubators...

More pics to come.


--------------------
Fold for The Shroomery!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
NEW PICS Incubator -> Hermit Crab House [Re: daba]
    #1615967 -

Moved them into a bigger, old terrarium/incubator... this one's got a few holes in it!

Finishing up this coconut half... gonna drill a big hole in it and make that into a cave dwelling like the artifical rock you see...

Keep y'all updated!




Sorry bout the blurry pics... still can't get this digicam straight...


--------------------
Fold for The Shroomery!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 |  [ show all ]

Shop: Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Help naming new hermit crab
( 1 2 3 all )
SixCee 4,359 45 05/14/06 07:12 PM
by alsnow469
* My hermit crab died TheShroomHermit 2,737 19 05/08/06 08:10 PM
by SixCee
* Don't let hermit crabs out when stoned
( 1 2 all )
DNKYD 2,751 34 07/27/06 07:10 PM
by eris
* want a place to be a hermit
( 1 2 all )
sleepy 853 20 07/18/09 09:53 PM
by sleepy
* Poor hermit crab DNKYD 1,143 9 05/18/05 03:24 PM
by agr8fulchick
* Hermit thread koppie 850 9 12/31/07 10:08 AM
by Muppet
* Football????????
( 1 2 all )
southerngirl05 2,592 29 11/14/05 08:22 PM
by southerngirl05
* 2 kids throwing football in parking lot
( 1 2 all )
DoctorJ 2,813 29 02/07/06 06:38 PM
by Liquid_Dimension

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Entire Staff
4,838 topic views. 6 members, 20 guests and 210 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.03 seconds spending 0.008 seconds on 16 queries.