Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleLe_Canard
The Duk Abides

Loc: Earthfarm 1
Pressure Cooking Vs. Boiling: a Question
    #1572804 - 05/23/03 05:25 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

After perusing many, many articles, posts, etc, I was wondering: Can one simply boil the Cakes and still achieve good results? I've heard some say that PC'ing is the ONLY way to get good results. Being somewhat limited in finances, a PC is a bit out of my price range, I'm afraid..  :frown:
Thanks in advance! 

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinefluff_master
Stranger
Re: Pressure Cooking Vs. Boiling: a Question [Re: Le_Canard]
    #1572831 - 05/23/03 05:36 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Hey man...

GO over to ebay and run a search under pressure cooker or all american...i did this earlier today and saw some excellent all americans with bidding prices extremely low...worth checking out.

As to the question...ive only used PCs for sterilization so i couldnt tell you for sure, but i can say ive never had a contamination problem with PCs

Fluff Master

InvisibleLe_Canard
The Duk Abides

Re: Pressure Cooking Vs. Boiling: a Question [Re: fluff_master]
    #1572844 - 05/23/03 05:40 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Hey Thanks! :smile: I think I'll do that.
I don't know much, really, about Mycoculture, being a rank newbie, but I do have a feeling PC'ing sterilises MUCH more throughly than the "stovetop method".  :grin: 

OfflineGoodOlBattonAss
Stranger

#1572928 - 05/23/03 06:04 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

It depends on what you're sterilizing...you can get away with boiling if you are using BRF. You should expect some contams though. For grain you have to have a PC.

There is something called fractional sterilization (I think), that is supposed to work well. You boil for an hour then leave it over night, and repeat untill you've done it 3 times. Never tried it though.

--------------------

InvisibleLe_Canard
The Duk Abides

Re: Pressure Cooking Vs. Boiling: a Question [Re: GoodOlBattonAss]
    #1572947 - 05/23/03 06:12 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

It depends on what you're sterilizing...you can get away with boiling if you are using BRF.  You should expect some contams though.  For grain you have to have a PC. 

Ah, I see. Very reassuring, as I shall be using BRF. I want to keep things a bit simple for my first attempt. Thanx to all for the invaluable info!  :grin: 

Offlineaugiemolly
bobobonbobobovich
    #1573030 - 05/23/03 06:38 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Really, check out eBay. I grabbed a 12 qt All American (holds 4 qt.jars) for 10.00 bucks. It's old but worked great until I noticed a small bit of steam escaping from the relief valve stem and in messing about I discovered a small crack and ended up breaking the damned thing off. Once it's fixed I'll be out 35 squamolies tops. You can grab a nice A.A pc eBay for $30-40- easy.

--------------------
Listen to the Gourds!!!

OfflineMrSleep
P. Cubensis
Re: Pressure Cooking Vs. Boiling: a Question [Re: augiemolly]
    #1573248 - 05/23/03 08:40 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Bought an older but good functioning pressure cooker on eBay - $10 + $6 s&h
-Mr.Sleep

InvisibleJoshua
Holoman
Male

Loc: The Matrix
    #1573312 - 05/23/03 08:59 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Don't boil your jars per se...steam them. I started off using a pot to steam my jars. I would place a towl at the bottom w/ an inch to an inch an a half of water...steam them for 1.5 hours. Make sure to keep your water level constant.

Joshua

--------------------
The Shroomery Bookstore

Great books for inquiring minds!

"Life After Death is Saprophytic!"

OfflineEdge
I like plants

Loc: Machu Pichu
Re: Pressure Cooking Vs. Boiling: a Question [Re: Joshua]
    #1573594 - 05/23/03 11:00 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

i steam mine, i havent used a pc yet (not much of a choice tho... couldnt afford one, but ebay, DUH, why didnt i think of that earlier??) anyway... i havent had that many contams from steaming. i put my jars in the pot (before i turn the boilers on) you can put a towel in the bottom of the pot or not, i dont and havent experienced any probs... but some say you should. anyway, i then put about an inch of water into the pot (withthe jars in it). on the jars i put tin foil. i use enough foil so i can fold it 2-3 times making a square with it, i then put that snugly over the jars tops (there are no lids on the jars, just foil). the foil contracts a little while in the pot so it gets snugger in there. for added protection against contams you should only fill the jars up with your substrate within an inch from the top, in that remaining inch put dry vermiculite (im sure you've read that in the teks already tho). anyway, back to steaming... so i have foil on the tops of the jars, the jars in the pot(s), and about one inch of water in the pot. i put the burners on med-high until it boils and then reduce it to low/med, just so the boil is gentle, but steaming. i let this go on for about an hour. keep an eye on it though since you may loose the water in the pot due to evaporation. when the hour is up let the pot sit until it is fairly cool. then i take the foil off the jars and quickly screw the tops on. (the reason i use foil is because i have plastic lids because ive always had rust battles in my jars, if you use metal lids put the lids on your jars w/ the innoculatoin holes in them and put the foil over that). with this method the most contaminated jars ive had so far per batch of 12 was 3, and some batches i didnt have any contams. some will argue with this method tho. reguardless a pc IS better... but im just saying that this works just fine for me with BRF.

--------------------
Check Out My "A Report w/ pics and links--FAE, RH, Casings, Cakes, Polyfil, And A Simple Setup And More!"

"For every action there is a reaction; and a Paykie reaction, is quite a fuckin thing"
--Turkish of Snatch

Offlinescotsman1
addict
 User Gallery

Loc: guess
Re: Pressure Cooking Vs. Boiling: a Question [Re: Edge]
    #1574579 - 05/24/03 01:21 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Make sure the jars dont touch the sides of the pot.
I steamed mine for 2 years and never had much contams, i used
plastic jars when steaming and i taped around the lid to help prevent
water damage.

PCs quicker and i seem to loose less to water damage.

--------------------
We're Bought and Sold
For English Gold

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags