Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

North Spore Shop: North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]
Re: Songwriters Out There.. [Re: eltonjohn]
    #15608326 -

another example...



smokin' with uncle skunk.  :pipesmoke:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Songwriters Out There.. [Re: akira_akuma]
    #15608336 -

Awesome song, hes going crazy slapping that bass. I love how colorful and stretchy and bouncy this is.

All i see is rainbows


--------------------
:scarybeat:


My music

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Songwriters Out There.. [Re: eltonjohn]
    #15608354 -

:cool:


--------------------
How do you know but ev’ry Bird that cuts the airy way,
Is an immense world of delight, clos’d by your senses five?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Songwriters Out There.. [Re: eltonjohn]
    #15608356 -

eltonjohn said:
Awesome song, hes going crazy slapping that bass. I love how colorful and stretchy and bouncy this is.

All i see is rainbows



i'm high as shit, so i see rainbows too. :lol:

here is the album if you want it.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Songwriters Out There.. [Re: x Ju x]
    #15608447 -

x Ju x said:
zZZz said:
Got any songs I can listen to?, I would love hear some.



Here's a link to my soundcloud. It only has 3 tracks, all of which are rough samples.

One is a bass jam I did one night, One is a guitar oriented track, and the other is a kind of dub type track that has a horrible drum kit :lol:

http://soundcloud.com/dewiesan



nice. that "stepped" song was pretty cool.


--------------------
https://discord.gg/NHHd5y2Uyv

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Songwriters Out There.. [Re: eltonjohn]
    #15608465 -

eltonjohn said:
Yeah i think what i create is generally more on the deprived crazy insane side of things so it would make since.

If your interested this is what i created tonight recorded on a laptop mic

I don't try and follow any method or any process or anything

I simply just black out and this is what happens


http://soundcloud.com/keyboarg/42-the-cat



:strokebeard:


--------------------
https://discord.gg/NHHd5y2Uyv

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Songwriters Out There.. [Re: Synocybin]
    #15608494 -

Synocybin said:
i've been playing guitar for almost 10 years and i've never been able to write my own stuff..

i've tried everything but my mind just constantly produces nothing..

any tips on how to help my creativity flow?




I'm in the same. fucking. boat. And it sucks. :crying: Feels good to know I'm not alone.

I have been writing more over the last few months and I've STARTED like 10 songs, but still haven't finished any of them. I'll get a really good verse or riff going or something and then it's always a dead end road.

The only advice I can give is don't think or try too hard. Let it be whatever it is, whatever it wants to be. If you've never written anything before then you're starting from the beginning and even some of the most brilliant musicians' beginnings actually sucked. Try not to judge what you're doing as good or bad just let it be whatever it is and then try to improve from there. Don't try to be like anyone else just be yourself. This is the advice I've been trying to get myself to follow.

Another idea i've had (i havent tried this yet but yeah) is to take some time to practice lyric writing melody writing and instrumental writing separately, because it can be really overwhelming to have to create all of it all at once (the hardest part about writing music for me). So take a song with a melody/instrumentals you really like and write your own lyrics for it. Or find a song with lyrics you really like (or lyrics to a song you havent heard) and write music to it. That way most of the work is done for you but you're still getting your practice in and improving your writing skills. It would be like wearing training wheels for a bit I would imagine. Again, I haven't actually tried this yet but I want to. I don't know if you sing/are looking to write lyrics and the whole deal but if you are...yeah.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Songwriters Out There.. [Re: electricfeel]
    #15608627 -

Things that help me write music...
Drugs.
Profound experiences(see "Drugs").
Laying my fingers down on the fretboard however it feels comfortable at the time, strumming it out, and adjusting it until it sounds sort of like music.
Throwing a capo on the guitar at a random fret, not capo-ing the first or last string sometimes, or using two capos to sort of hold a cord that I can noodle over.
Messing with different tunings, then maybe repeating the capo step if I'm still failing hard(tuning to Drop D and throwing the capo on the second fret while leaving the high e string un-capo'd leaves you with 3 fucking E strings all in different octaves. It's hard not to play something that sounds remotely nice in this tuning.)
Isolation. Lock yourself in your room until you write a song.
Breaking the mold. Be silly, write something "weird", play exactly what you want to, fuck the masses, different time signatures, key changes, shit like that...
Depression, but maybe this is just me.
Learning new techniques. The last band I played in was practically completely fueled by the simple fact that me and a friend who played bass had grown bored and decided to play our instruments almost exclusively with tapping. Our other friend who played drums a bit came over one day and guess what? A weird trio that people liked to watch play, out of fucking nowhere. Go figure...
Playing with new people(or people in general) tends to help me as well.
Open mic night. See how people react to your material.

Oh yeah, and knowing some music theory.

Things that help me write words...
Drugs.
Profound experiences(see "Drugs").
Being nonsensical. Sometimes I write complete bullshit, and then fill in certain parts and decide what it means later, or leave it completely open to interpretation.
Literary devices and expansive vocabulary. Read a lot, basically.
Getting it all out of my head and all over the page, however stupid it may be, and then going back and fixing shit later.
Not trying to fucking rhyme. That shit is fucking retarded.
Again, isolation and depression.
Not writing for any specific piece of music. I feel that trying to fit words to a certain song prohibits creativity a great deal. Make it fit later, while maintaining the original message and mood and all that shit.

Hopefully at least some of this helps you. We've all been there and it fucking sucks. Keep trying. Change your environment. Change your style. I don't know, I'm full of shit...

Just keep trying I guess.


--------------------
"...we're the unhappy inheritors of the consequence of 6000 years of unopposed dominator culture. and what have we got? a shattered atmosphere, toxified oceans, schizophrenic populations and mendacious politicians. this is not what our parents raised us for, folks."

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Songwriters Out There.. [Re: Guernica]
    #15608638 -

I could probably write and create a trippy pyscehedlic song + music video better than Janet Jackson music video.


--------------------
Aye Davanita Upanishad Bahagavad Gita

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Songwriters Out There.. [Re: Talking Head]
    #15608753 -

Talking Head said:
Ok, you win.





Next time I'll tone it down a notch, so someone else can win.

:todcasil:

I wasn't trying to win, silly. 


--------------------
Men look at themselves and they see flawed humans, we look at women and we see perfect
GODDESSES
Women look at themselves and they seem utterly human, when looking at men they see proud
GODS.


~Casil



:cactus:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Songwriters Out There.. [Re: zZZz]
    #15609117 -

zZZz said:
nice. that "stepped" song was pretty cool.



Thanks.

I'm currently in the process of finishing that track. The one in the link is half done. I've redone the drums with a better kit, made the whole thing longer, but still not finished.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]

North Spore Shop: North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Singer/Guitar player/Songwriter for Sublime RandalFlagg 1,020 7 11/20/05 03:44 PM
by RandalFlagg
* Buying a Guitar
( 1 2 all )
Comfortably_Numb 5,178 33 12/07/04 05:24 PM
by Jim
* is the guitar dead?
( 1 2 3 all )
gilesypopper 3,648 46 06/23/08 08:05 PM
by BoneMan
* creativeness Simisu 1,149 16 11/05/06 09:54 AM
by Prisoner#1
* rock band trumps guitar hero
( 1 2 3 4 5 all )
StonedShroom 7,961 81 11/24/07 12:31 PM
by Redstorm
* Novel Music
( 1 2 all )
Hrethic 2,886 34 03/15/06 09:31 AM
by OneMoreRobot3021
* cool guitar solos
( 1 2 all )
MistaUNGA 2,019 34 03/20/08 05:13 PM
by Bridgeburner
* Guitars
( 1 2 3 all )
Infrared 6,129 47 02/23/04 05:37 PM
by temperance

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Entire Staff
1,602 topic views. 4 members, 15 guests and 232 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.029 seconds spending 0.01 seconds on 17 queries.