Home | Community | Message Board

Phytoextractum
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Brown Rice Flour, Perlite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineDgrepo
Stranger

Loc: Texas
Controlling Pinning and controlling Fruiting...
    #1550519 - 05/15/03 11:13 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

CatDog has had some trouble with getting even flushes from BRF cakes in his terrarium. There are two inches of perlite in the bottom, and 1/2 inch water with a shot of h2o2. he tells me his cakes are sitting on lids, humidity is reading 100+%.

Now here's the question: To initiate pinning he's read that the temp should be 70F and 95-100% humididty, then once pins form and ready to fruit, the temp should be raised to 75F and the humidity decreased to 90-95%. Do you think these different environment specs will produce a more even pinset? The main problem is controlling the humidity and temp. Catdog tells me that his terrarium stays around 73.5 -75.4 degrees and 100% humidity. How can he lower the humidity? and how can he lower the temp. He has two air lines from a fish tank punched through two holes in the lid, it runs about 12-16 hours/day (for air exchange, and to hopefully lower the humidity, but its not enough to notice a difference. He has converted a sterlite clear sided (white lid) storage box into his terrarium. The lid doenst make a perfect seal, but CatDog didnt figure that mattered right now because the humidity was so high and sealing the terrarium would contain the humidity. he opened the lid and just set it aside about two inches gap in the lid, maybe this will allow for more humidity to escape.

What are the growth parameters to initiate pinning, and then what are the parameters to initiate fruiting?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinefugu
Pooh-Bah

Loc: istanbul
Re: Controlling Pinning and controlling Fruiting... [Re: Dgrepo]
    #1550696 - 05/15/03 12:47 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

no changes in cakes it starts %100 and so on...i m not a cake people also

--------------------
mushroom culture history making ...Mr. Allan is the best .....

Offline_jamie_
who needs atitle?

Loc: Here. wait...no, there.
Re: Controlling Pinning and controlling Fruiting... [Re: fugu]
    #1551175 - 05/15/03 03:11 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Sometimes growers smother their fungus with too much love. I've been babying some cakes for two months after birth. Nothing. Then I leave town for the weekend worrying about humitity, CO2, temp and who's going to take care of my babies. I come back after not touching the setup all weekend and there was a little mushroom growiung on one of the cakes! go figure!

OfflineDgrepo
Stranger

Re: Controlling Pinning and controlling Fruiting... [Re: _jamie_]
    #1551220 - 05/15/03 03:25 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

well, its not that nothing is happening. Catdog told me that he is on his 3rd flush, although the second yielded about 3/4 the firsts flush, and the third flush is now in progress. He just wants to optomize the environment to keep those babys going. Approximately 6 hours ago he opened the lid enough to have a 2-3in gap, the humidity was at 100% (no condensation on the walls of the terrarium), and now he tells me that since he opened it up a little the humidity has dropped to 93-94%. He says the pins are looking better since this morning. Even over only a 6 hour timeframe. Just interesting information to CatDog i guess. He sure like to ponder the little things.

Offlinesi1988crx
Beep beep byebye

#1551333 - 05/15/03 04:13 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

With cakes you always want the humidty at 98-100%. You only want to drop the humidity with casings as the casing layer will retain moisture and keep the mycelium with the proper water content. Make sure you give plenty of air exchanges and dunk the cakes in between flushes to rehydrate them.

As for you putting the air lines in your tank, they will not provide enough air exchange by themselves. Also, CO2 is heavier than air and will sink to the bottom of your terrarium. You need to fan, or develop a way, to get all of the CO2 out of the bottom of your container. Using a fish pump with airstones attached in some water on the bottom of your terrarium will help displace some of the CO2, but may not be enough.

Offlinemoldmaster
mold fighter forlife
Loc: contamville, Trich
Re: Controlling Pinning and controlling Fruiting... [Re: si1988crx]
    #1551542 - 05/15/03 05:01 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

I agree that with cakes it is not really important for the hum. to be at 90 percent. In fact, you might find it close to impossible to get the hum. to stay that low. Also, the fish pump is good for the terrrarium. I recommend getting the pump that is 20-60 gallons per hour(10 dollars at Wal Mart). My betta drilled two holes in the bottom of the terrarium and then put the two hose in to displace the co2. You should put them on the bottom since co2 weights more than o2.

--------------------
Wham bam kick yo ass contam. Mold doesn't even dare to enter my shit because I have the remedy

OfflineRaedon
enthusiast

#1552922 - 05/16/03 01:29 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

CatDog has had some trouble with getting even flushes from BRF cakes in his terrarium. There are two inches of perlite in the bottom, and 1/2 inch water with a shot of h2o2. he tells me his cakes are sitting on lids, humidity is reading 100+%. 

100+%? so.. it's raining in there?  :grin:

OfflineDgrepo
Stranger

Re: Controlling Pinning and controlling Fruiting... [Re: Raedon]
    #1553567 - 05/16/03 10:18 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

the humidity outside is 84% this week. and it did rain last night. but not inside the terrarium.  :laugh:

Catdog called me this morning and he said that he is getting a pretty even pinset now from 3 cakes that he broke in half after the second flush and dunked them for a couple hours. now 3 of the half cakes have about 10-20 pins each, about 3/4 to 1 inch long. things are looking good. humidity is running around 95% and holding, the airpump he is using is rated for a 100galllon tank, and he has the airstones buried in the perlite at the bottom of the tub to bubble the water and disperse the CO2 from the perlite.

thanks for the advice everyone, CatDog appreciates this forum. 

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Brown Rice Flour, Perlite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation