Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 |  [ show all ]
Re: A question for people in Europe [Re: Shroomism]
    #15194622 -

Shroomism said:
Then again I probably just don't like most people. People suck.
We have a lot of stupid fucktards in this country, probably the cream of the crop.
But I also think we have some of the cream of the crop awesome sauce too.
I like this country and the general realness vibe but I hate our fucking government and it must die.



kinda sums up what I think but I can't really say whether I like it or not cause I've never been there. I've heard that there are lots of money for research (or at least in the past) so thats a good thing.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: A question for people in Europe [Re: owls] * 2
    #15194838 -

owls said:
i honestly feel a sense of shame about being an american sometimes. is this weird?



If hating America is wrong, I don't wanna be right.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: A question for anybody who doesn't live in America [Re: Earth Child] * 1
    #15194894 -

Kind of a fked up question. If i watched the news,political crap or movies about america...i would think its fucked up.When you have pre conceived notions about any place youve never been. I think you create a picture in your head what its going to be like.

Ive always thought this about northern states. Thinking everybody was just mean as shit and ready to mug me.....The first time i went to jersey a guy let me borrow his car in the first 30 min talking to him.
Honestly i really love it up there now.Very cool and there are so many people and so many things to do.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: A question for people in Europe [Re: Cj-B] * 1
    #15194959 -

Cj-B said:
Wiccan_Seeker said:
Herbologist said:
so.. are you saying, as an american, I have an accent? :awesome:




Thats another thing we associate the USA with.



Questioning the obvious in a (hopefully) sarcastic manner?





Actually, something typical for many Americans is considering America to be the center of the world, and not really thinking across the border; superimposing your reality on the rest of the world.

On the shroomery among things this takes form of Ametican members making threads that solely address Americans, not thinking of the many other nations who participate in our community.

We're not all living in America



Quote:
lyrics translation:

RAMMSTEIN - Amerika

    Refrain:
    We're all living in America,
    America is wunderbar.
    We're all living in America,
    Amerika, Amerika.

    When people dance, I want to lead,
    even if you all are dancing alone,
    let me control you a bit.
    I'll show you how it's done right.
    We form a nice round (circle),
    freedom is playing on all the fiddles,
    music is coming out of the White House,
    and near Paris stands Mickey Mouse. [Eurodisney]

    We're all living in America...

    I know steps that are very useful,
    and I'll protect you from missteps,
    and anyone who doesn't want to dance in the end,
    just doesn't know that he has to dance!
    We form a nice round (circle),
    I'll show you the right direction,
    to Africa goes Santa Claus,
    and near Paris stands Mickey Mouse.

    We're all living in America,
    America is wunderbar.
    We're all living in America,
    Amerika, Amerika.
    We're all living in America,
    Coca-Cola, Wonderbra,
    We're all living in America,
    Amerika, Amerika.

    This is not a love song,
    this is not a love song.
    I don't sing my mother tongue,
    No, this is not a love song.

    We're all living in America,
    Amerika is wunderbar.
    We're all living in America,
    Amerika, Amerika.
    We're all living in America,
    Coca-Cola, sometimes WAR,
    We're all living in America,
    Amerika, Amerika.





Note we have many Canadians, Australians and Europeans and they don't automatically assume we're all in their reality.

I blame the size of your country, the national-focussed education you get and the mainstream media aiming to breeding patriots that think no further than your borders, or your interests abroad.

Anyone of you, not from Canada or Mexico, speaking Spanish or French? These are your neighboring countries. I'm fluid in English and German and know a little French, aside from my mother tongue Dutch.  This multilingualism is THE NORM in much of Europe. Not saying you're dumbasses, but your education system is focussed on keeping you inside the box.


--------------------
Omnicyclion.org
personal empowerment for the world

:nyan: LGBT - Love God Before Tradition :nyan:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: A question for people in Europe [Re: Asante]
    #15195000 -

When I was in grad school, classmates who were teachers were discussing how "social studies" doesn't even require students to know all of the states (or that D.C. isn't one), let alone where all of them are.

One woman's forced curriculum said that if a student was able to locate 5 states in New England (from Connecticut), then they would get a minimum of a B.

Sad eh?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: A question for people in Europe [Re: Asante] * 1
    #15195915 -

As to you comment about languages (Spanish and French), I think a large contributing factor is that the US is so large. It's not like living in Europe where you have different countries so close together. Traveling around, you would need to speak other languages to communicate effectively.

Here in the US though, I can travel the equivalent of the width of Europe and still being in the US where english is the number one language. Obviously, there are a lot of other factors too, but I think this one is a big one.


--------------------
All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. -Gandalf

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: A question for people in Europe [Re: hockeyplyr1057]
    #15196644 -

i'm hardly ashamed to be american. i disagree with my country's policies but consider those and america's citizenry to be two distinctly different things. for as advanced in some ways as some of you euro's and brits are, you seem to fall into the same trap that we do with making broad generalizations about people from other countries.


--------------------
I'm up to my ears in unwritten words. - J.D. Salinger

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: A question for people in Europe [Re: millzy]
    #15196691 -

Stop making broad generalisations about everyones broad generalisationing, rabble rabble rabble

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: A question for people in Europe [Re: GGTBod]
    #15196752 -

I see the states (I don't like calling it america) as a reeeaally big country with many different kinds of very crazy people who are really proud of belonging to their country but otherwise hate most aspects of it.

It has neat places and people though

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: A question for people in Europe [Re: GGTBod]
    #15196901 -

GGTBod said:
Stop making broad generalisations about everyones broad generalisationing, rabble rabble rabble



lol, i'm specifically directing my comments at the opinions in this thread.


--------------------
I'm up to my ears in unwritten words. - J.D. Salinger

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: A question for people in Europe [Re: Asante]
    #15196952 -

Wiccan_Seeker said:
Anyone of you, not from Canada or Mexico, speaking Spanish or French? These are your neighboring countries. I'm fluid in English and German and know a little French, aside from my mother tongue Dutch.  This multilingualism is THE NORM in much of Europe. Not saying you're dumbasses, but your education system is focussed on keeping you inside the box.



Actually yes, though I'm not fluent. They are both offered in our high schools along with mandarin in some places and I've taken both for a couple years and I wasn't someone that even tried back then.

You're fluent in three languages but how old are you? I know kids who are barely getting out of high school that are near fluent in a second language already.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: A question for people in Europe [Re: AlmostAsCoolAs]
    #15197005 -

I think this video sums up how America is viewed.



--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: A question for people in Europe [Re: audiophoenix]
    #15197039 -

So, just out of curiosity how does everyone who is not in America view Canada? Do you picture us as much different than the states, because I know people here sure like to think we are.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: A question for people in Europe [Re: audiophoenix]
    #15197046 -

not to defend our piece of shit public ed system, but i don't think learning other languages is as essential as it is in places like europe. i agree with whoever chalked that up to geography. sorry but i don't see the need for your average ohioan to know spanish. i was born and raised in north central texas and i only know a little.

to the above poster: i've never visited canada but am good friends with a former canadian and have heard mostly good things about it. most of the canadians i've known have been cool too.


--------------------
I'm up to my ears in unwritten words. - J.D. Salinger

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: A question for people in Europe [Re: mellowparty]
    #15197064 -

mellowparty said:
twighead said:
mellowparty said:
Big cities and junk food. Also fucked up government.



Strange... sounds like Britain :lolsy:



Far from the truth

Sure London is large and there are lots of junk food venues but this is what England is really like:

The food is junk but not it the classical meaning of junk. It just tastes horrible




if it tastes so bad then why would you eat it when there's a McDonalds around the corner :smirk:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: A question for people in Europe [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #15197078 -

McDonalds sucks. I'll trick my gf into cooking for me while I pretend to be useful around the house.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: A question for people in Europe [Re: Asante]
    #15197080 -

Wiccan_Seeker said:
Anyone of you, not from Canada or Mexico, speaking Spanish or French?




I speak a little spanish, french, german, russian, japanese, chinese. not a
lot of any but enough to get by and I pick up quickly

you do understand that not all of canada speaks french and only one provence
has french as a dominant language, my best friend growing up was french
canadian, he was from laval

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: A question for people in Europe [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #15197286 -

Prisoner#1 said:
Wiccan_Seeker said:
Anyone of you, not from Canada or Mexico, speaking Spanish or French?



you do understand that not all of canada speaks french and only one provence
has french as a dominant language, my best friend growing up was french
canadian, he was from laval


Indeed.  And imagine how few Mexicans know English.

The fact is that Americans really don't need to learn another language, at all, unless it's for some specific occupation, or if they want to fuck people from other countries.

I'm bilingual (and nearing trilingual), but not because of any pressing need to be.


--------------------
“Strengthened by contemplation and study,
I will not fear my passions like a coward.
My body I will give to pleasures,
to diversions that I’ve dreamed of,
to the most daring erotic desires,
to the lustful impulses of my blood, without
any fear at all, for whenever I will—
and I will have the will, strengthened
as I’ll be with contemplation and study—
at the crucial moments I’ll recover
my spirit as was before: ascetic.”

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: A question for people in Europe [Re: Shroomism]
    #15197311 -

Shroomism said:
I live in a city that within 1 mile from my house I can get every different kind of delicious food from 80 different countries
:laugh:



where is this place? please tell me where the promised land is :yesnod:


--------------------
i love you ♥

you are beautiful! :rockon:



COME TOGETHER, JOIN THE PARTY!!

"what beith a man if he doth not enjoy cannabis?" :mushroom2:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: A question for people in Europe [Re: owls]
    #15197320 -

owls said:
Shroomism said:
I live in a city that within 1 mile from my house I can get every different kind of delicious food from 80 different countries
:laugh:



where is this place? please tell me where the promised land is :yesnod:



Any city? :ohwell:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 |  [ show all ]

Shop: Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* America is kinda freaking me out.. anyone else?
( 1 2 all )
Chills420 version2 7,116 37 02/27/03 05:21 PM
by Baby_Hitler
* Accents
( 1 2 3 4 all )
Bi0TeK 7,797 64 01/14/05 11:30 AM
by Bi0TeK
* Protecting America?s Children DragonEyes 2,488 16 10/20/02 05:35 PM
by pezbomb
* American vs Canadian cigarettes
( 1 2 all )
Meph 7,363 27 07/11/20 02:25 PM
by Asante
* Question about the new Snoop Dogg show...... LearyfanS 1,852 14 06/17/03 01:46 PM
by Learyfan
* Questions about COD's phishytrip 825 3 04/08/03 03:22 PM
by Karen
* Overgrow question superpimp 1,527 8 06/18/07 07:14 PM
by Banez
* hey guys some questions about the ring movies -us & japanese minusrestraint 942 3 02/25/03 10:33 PM
by cybrbeast

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Entire Staff
3,136 topic views. 1 members, 15 guests and 102 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.034 seconds spending 0.007 seconds on 16 queries.