Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 |  [ show all ]
Today in counterculture history (09/23) * 2
    #15121373 -

  • 1974:  John Lennon releases the single for "Whatever Gets You Thru The Night"




Quote:
"Whatever Gets You Thru the Night" is a song written by John Lennon, released as a single in 1974 on Apple Records, catalogue Apple 1874 in the United States and Apple R5998 in the United Kingdom. It peaked at #1 on the Billboard Hot 100 and #36 on the British singles chart. It was the lead single for the Walls and Bridges album in the US, but released the same day as the album in the UK.

Content

This was Lennon's only solo #1 single in the United States during his lifetime, and Lennon was the last member of The Beatles to achieve his first American number one solo hit. The recording featured Elton John on harmony vocals and piano. While in the studio, Elton bet Lennon that the song would top the charts, and such was Lennon's scepticism that Elton secured from him a promise to appear on stage at one of his performances should the record indeed hit number one. When the record did achieve that feat, Lennon appeared at Elton John's Thanksgiving performance at Madison Square Garden on 28 November 1974. It would be his last major concert appearance.

The inspiration for the lyrics came from late-night television. In December 2005, May Pang told Radio Times: "At night he loved to channel-surf, and would pick up phrases from all the shows. One time, he was watching Reverend Ike, a famous black evangelist, who was saying, "Let me tell you guys, it doesn't matter, it's whatever gets you through the night." John loved it and said, "I've got to write it down or I'll forget it." He always kept a pad and pen by the bed. That was the beginning of 'Whatever Gets You thru the Night'."

The music was inspired by the number one single at the time, Rock Your Baby by George McCrae.  Although the released track bears little resemblance, the inspiration is more apparent on the alternate version released on John Lennon Anthology.

This track wasn't Lennon's first choice for a single. It was actually chosen by Capitol Records vice president Al Coury, who had recently worked his singles 'magic' with Paul McCartney's Band On the Run album.

Lennon created a video for the song, in which he lip-synced the first verse while walking through Manhattan. Ono created an alternate video for the song, featuring an animation of Lennon's drawings.

In 2007, Yoko Ono granted Amnesty International the opportunity to have a number of bands cover John Lennon's solo songbook, which includes this song. Los Lonely Boys and Les Trois Accords performed it as the second single from the Instant Karma: The Amnesty International Campaign to Save Darfur album.
Personnel

The musicians who performed on the original recording were as follows:

    John Lennon – lead vocals, guitar
    Elton John – harmony vocal, piano
    Ken Ascher – clavinet
    Jesse Ed Davis – guitar
    Arthur Jenkins – percussion
    Jim Keltner – drums
    Bobby Keys – saxophone
    Eddie Mottau – acoustic guitar
    Klaus Voormann – bass


B-side "Beef Jerky"
Released 23 September 1974 (US)
4 October 1974 (UK)
Format 7"
Recorded June–July 1974
Genre Rock
Length 3:27
Label Apple Records
Writer(s) John Lennon
Producer John Lennon


(https://en.wikipedia.org)








  • 1980:  Bob Marley performs his final concert




Quote:
The final concert of Bob Marley's career was held 23 September 1980 at the Stanley Theater (now called The Benedum Center For The Performing Arts) in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. The audio recording of that concert is now available on CD, vinyl, and digital music services.


(https://en.wikipedia.org)













Edited by Learyfan (09/23/20 07:18 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Today in counterculture history (09/23) [Re: Learyfan] * 1
    #15121382 -

Listening to my hip hop muzik. I will have to check this song out later.


--------------------
 

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Today in counterculture history (09/23) [Re: foodsgoodtoo] * 2
    #15121408 -

You can listen to it right now!  Thanks youtube.

















--------------------
--------------------------------


Mp3 of the month: Wild Things- Another Colored Ink Drawing (A.C.I.D.)


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Today in counterculture history (09/23) [Re: Learyfan] * 2
    #15121426 -

This is a good one, :thumbup:

It doesn't have that like how should I put this.... That outdated feeling to it? If that makes sense.

Oh and it sounds like the saxophone has been sampled from what my ears tell me. I might have heard it on some television show.


--------------------
 

Edited by foodsgoodtoo (09/23/11 06:22 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Today in counterculture history (09/23) [Re: foodsgoodtoo] * 2
    #15121469 -

Glad you liked it and that you didn't think it sounds outdated.  As for the sax, I have a feeling that it wasn't sampled, at least by any major artist.  Wikipedia is usually pretty good about mentioning such things. 












--------------------
--------------------------------


Mp3 of the month: Wild Things- Another Colored Ink Drawing (A.C.I.D.)


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Today in counterculture history (09/23) [Re: foodsgoodtoo] * 2
    #16896207 -

Annual bump.

















--------------------
--------------------------------


Mp3 of the month: Wild Things- Another Colored Ink Drawing (A.C.I.D.)


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Today in counterculture history (09/23) [Re: Learyfan] * 3
    #16896345 -

:bunnypeace:



i also recently learned that bob marley played his last show on this day in 1980.


also my day of birth.


:bunny:


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Today in counterculture history (09/23) [Re: yogabunny]
    #16896356 -

So what you're saying, is that you killed Bob Marley. :strokebeard:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Today in counterculture history (09/23) [Re: yogabunny] * 2
    #16896376 -

Thanks Yogabunny!  I have this concert on CD, but somehow I never added it to this thread.  Happy Birthday! 

:cheers:


















--------------------
--------------------------------


Mp3 of the month: Wild Things- Another Colored Ink Drawing (A.C.I.D.)


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Today in counterculture history (09/23) [Re: Learyfan] * 2
    #18878270 -

Full audio set of Bob's last show right here.  Thanks youtube.  And Happy Birthday to Yoga Bunny! 

















--------------------
--------------------------------


Mp3 of the month: Wild Things- Another Colored Ink Drawing (A.C.I.D.)


Edited by Learyfan (09/23/17 11:02 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Today in counterculture history (09/23) [Re: Learyfan] * 3
    #20604859 -

Oops, I mean Happy Birthday Pika.  :cool:

40th anniversary of "Whatever Gets You Through The Night" today also.
















--------------------
--------------------------------


Mp3 of the month: Wild Things- Another Colored Ink Drawing (A.C.I.D.)


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Today in counterculture history (09/23) [Re: Learyfan] * 2
    #22278520 -

35th anniversary of the birth of Yogabunny :smile: as well as Bob Marley's last show :frown: today. 





Quote:
09/23/1980
Stanley Theater
Pittsburgh, PA

The Setlist

    01.Natural Mystic
    02.Positive Vibration
    03.Burnin' And Lootin'
    04.Them Belly Full(But We Hungry)
    05.The Heathen
    06.Running Away/Crazy Baldhead
    07.War/No More Trouble
    08.Zimbabwe
    09.Zion Train
    10.No Woman, No Cry
    11.Jammin'
    12.Exodus
    13.Redemption Song
    14.Coming In From The Cold
    15.Could You Be Loved?
    16.Is This Love?
    17.Work

About This Show

Band Lineup


    Bob Marley, vocals, rhythm guitar
    Aston Barrett, bass
    Carlton Barrett, drums
    Junior Marvin, lead guitar
    Al Anderson, lead guitar
    Tyrone Downie, keyboards
    Alvin Patterson, percussion
    The I-Threes, backing vocals
    Ian Wynter, keyboards

Notes

On September 23, 1980 Bob Marley, perhaps the greatest live performer the world has ever known, stepped onto a public stage for the last time. The show’s promoter, Rich Engler spoke about the show in a 2010 interview with the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

The day before Bob Marley and the Wailers were scheduled to play a sold-out concert at the Stanley Theatre in 1980, promoter Rich Engler got an ominous call from the reggae star’s agent.

“There might be a problem,” the agent told him. “Bob is not feeling very well. I don’t know what’s going on. I’ll keep you posted.”

Marley and the Wailers had just played two shows on the Uprising Tour opening for The Commodores at Madison Square Garden on Sept. 19-20. The next day he collapsed while jogging in Central Park and, during a hospital visit, was told the worst: The cancer he was diagnosed with three years earlier had spread, and he was advised to cease touring.

On the morning of the Sept. 23 show in Pittsburgh, Mr. Engler got another call.

“They’re headed there,” the agent said, “but I would be surprised if he plays.”

“Around 2ish,” Mr. Engler says, “they came in to do a soundcheck. I was looking around for Bob and found him in the dressing room, sitting on the couch, looking depressed and ill. I said, ‘I heard you’re not feeling well. I’m concerned. I hope you’re feeling better. Are you going to play?’

“He said, ‘Mon, I wasn’t going to, but I’m going to for my band and everybody. It’s a sold-out show. I’m going to do it.’ “

According to the promoter, the reggae star added, “The guys need the money.”


(http://www.bobmarley.com)













--------------------
--------------------------------


Mp3 of the month: Wild Things- Another Colored Ink Drawing (A.C.I.D.)


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Today in counterculture history (09/23) [Re: Learyfan] * 1
    #22278528 -

going to check this one out. thanks leary fan :smugjerry:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Today in counterculture history (09/23) [Re: Learyfan] * 2
    #23670110 -

Annual bump.













--------------------
--------------------------------


Mp3 of the month: Wild Things- Another Colored Ink Drawing (A.C.I.D.)


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Today in counterculture history (09/23) [Re: Learyfan] * 2
    #24653548 -

Annual bump.











--------------------
--------------------------------


Mp3 of the month: Wild Things- Another Colored Ink Drawing (A.C.I.D.)


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Today in counterculture history (09/23) [Re: Learyfan] * 2
    #25482776 -

Annual bump.











--------------------
--------------------------------


Mp3 of the month: Wild Things- Another Colored Ink Drawing (A.C.I.D.)


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Today in counterculture history (09/23) [Re: Learyfan] * 1
    #25482783 -

Sept 23 1926 - John Coltrane was born


--------------------
[quote]Asante said:
You constantly make posts thatr fling middle school insults at people you don't like mixed in with maladjusted psychopathic comments about wanting to beat up the other poster with a crowbar.

You know how shit you are, you just don't give a fuck for precisely that reason.

I disendorse you.[/quote]

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Today in counterculture history (09/23) [Re: Learyfan] * 2
    #26204013 -

Annual bump.












--------------------
--------------------------------


Mp3 of the month: Wild Things- Another Colored Ink Drawing (A.C.I.D.)


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Today in counterculture history (09/23) [Re: Learyfan] * 2
    #26950620 -

Happy 40th Birthday to Yogabunny! Also, it's the 40th anniversary of Bob Marley's last show.








--------------------
--------------------------------


Mp3 of the month: Wild Things- Another Colored Ink Drawing (A.C.I.D.)


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Today in counterculture history (09/23) [Re: Learyfan] * 2
    #27479031 -

Annual bump.








--------------------
--------------------------------


Mp3 of the month: Wild Things- Another Colored Ink Drawing (A.C.I.D.)


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 |  [ show all ]


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Today in counterculture history (09/20)
( 1 2 all )
LearyfanS 1,743 21 09/20/26 05:27 PM
by Learyfan
* The History of the Shroomery. PrisonSong 2,416 7 05/03/05 06:52 PM
by PrisonSong
* Acid History Question : Where did Al Hubbard get his LSD?
( 1 2 3 all )
freddurgan 11,881 43 04/25/15 08:39 AM
by Freakdaddy
* biggest LSD bust in history loopin20 28,210 14 06/21/06 02:06 PM
by Ashford
* im 23, burned out on school, dont like my current field.. what to do?
( 1 2 3 all )
Mych 4,322 40 06/08/05 06:22 PM
by Mych
* Wanted: Complete history of Psilocybe cubensis cultivation.
( 1 2 all )
Baby_Hitler 7,053 26 12/17/12 04:51 AM
by koraks
* histories mysteries eligal 1,193 5 03/02/10 10:34 PM
by YellowDesertSun
* I CAUGHT MY MOM JUST CHECKED THE HISTORY
( 1 2 3 all )
johnjohnson 5,198 54 02/24/07 07:30 PM
by budmanman

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Entire Staff
1,430 topic views. 7 members, 21 guests and 132 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.028 seconds spending 0.006 seconds on 16 queries.