Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineMych
Stranger

im 23, burned out on school, dont like my current field.. what to do?
    #4267381 - 06/07/05 11:03 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

History:
-I am 23
-3 classes short of a CompSci degree (which i WILL finish up in the fall)
-been working fulltime doing network administration/helpdesk stuff for 4 years while doing school fulltime. I am waaaaaay too burned out on school for anything more.

Current:
- i now HATE the corporate world, and cant find any interest in the IT field.
- i need to get a series of certifications to keep my job (it was part of the terms of employment).. i have 2 months left and i have no interest in any of the "training" associated with it and therefore i doubt its going to happen in 2 months.
- i am only a couple months into a 12 month lease, to which i need to make $1500 (in my pocket) a month to pay living expenses.
- awsome girlfriend who is in school for another 1-2 years (her parents are paying her portion of rent)

Problem: Well it is pretty obvious that i am very unhappy with my career path. Thing is i have NO CLUE what i want to do, and what will bring in enough $. I want some type of job that is very chill and not in the corporate environment. I have a variety of skills, but not enough of any one particular thing to land me a job. Some sort of self employment wouldnt be out of the question, but ive got no clue what it would be.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleKrishna
कृष्ण,LOL
 User Gallery

Loc: oakland
Re: im 23, burned out on school, dont like my current field.. what to do? [Re: Mych]
    #4267403 - 06/07/05 11:09 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

if you want to stay in the computer field, set up your own local business. i work for a friend who, 3 years into an electrical engineering degree, said fuck it, moved, and set up a small company. he first did php/mysql design as well as random hosting services, and now has created his own 'language' (webapp) to take the place of php - hell of a lot more open and customizable this way, plus any clients he gets stick with him, because he (and me) are the only people who know the lanuage really. i'm not sure how much he totally banks, but i know more than enough to hire me and pay me well. of course, there goes a lot in to setting up your own business, but he seems happy with his choice.

edit - just read that you don't have any interest in the it-field. hehe sorry, i'm a bit stoned. :rasta:

--------------------

Edited by Krishna (06/07/05 11:10 AM)

InvisibleOneMoreRobot3021
Male

Loc: the sky
Re: im 23, burned out on school, dont like my current field.. what to do? [Re: Krishna]
    #4267409 - 06/07/05 11:10 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

So that's how you sit around and smoke pot all day...working for a friend using a secret language only the two of you know. You clever little bastard.

--------------------
Acid doesn't give you truths; it builds machines that push the envelope of perception. Whatever revelations came to me then have dissolved like skywriting. All I really know is that those few years saddled me with a faith in the redemptive potential of the imagination which, however flat, stale and unprofitable the world seems to me now, I cannot for the life of me shake.

-Erik Davis

InvisibleKrishna
कृष्ण,LOL
 User Gallery

Loc: oakland
Re: im 23, burned out on school, dont like my current field.. what to do? [Re: OneMoreRobot3021]
    #4267421 - 06/07/05 11:15 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

OneMoreRobot3021 said:
So that's how you sit around and smoke pot all day...working for a friend using a secret language only the two of you know.  You clever little bastard.

haha it was actually quite the ploy. technically the language is under the GNU public license (ie open source), but isn't distributed anywhere (except in the apps we develop. so technically a company could have us develop an app, and then have somebody else update it, but they would be shitty confused and we're just such a great company that this scenario never happens  :wink: ) but we have plans to make a sourceforge public version of it after we have finished this latest bout of r&d we've been doing with it, and eventually i think i'll get stuck with the task of documenting the whole freaking thing...

--------------------

OfflineMych
Stranger

Re: im 23, burned out on school, dont like my current field.. what to do? [Re: Krishna]
    #4267425 - 06/07/05 11:16 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Krishna said:
if you want to stay in the computer field, set up your own local business. i work for a friend who, 3 years into an electrical engineering degree, said fuck it, moved, and set up a small company. he first did php/mysql design as well as random hosting services, and now has created his own 'language' (webapp) to take the place of php - hell of a lot more open and customizable this way, plus any clients he gets stick with him, because he (and me) are the only people who know the lanuage really. i'm not sure how much he totally banks, but i know more than enough to hire me and pay me well. of course, there goes a lot in to setting up your own business, but he seems happy with his choice.

edit - just read that you don't have any interest in the it-field. hehe sorry, i'm a bit stoned. :rasta:

see, im sick of constantly having to learn new things from the ground up.  New techniques and shit.. cool. but having your "tools" completely redone every couple years, having to relearn that, then having to relearn shit anytime you switch jobs.. well .. SUCKS

I wouldn't mind doing desktop support type stuff, but im completely sick of sys/net admin type stuff.  I wouldn't mind something completely outside of the IT industry.  If i were to do the self employment thing it would not be in IT at all.  I want to do something more creative and natural.  I want to be able to come to work every day and do the same thing (to an extent).

Invisibleafoaf
CEO DBK?
 User Gallery

Loc: Ripple's Heart
Re: im 23, burned out on school, dont like my current field.. what to do? [Re: Mych]
    #4267494 - 06/07/05 11:37 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

You can find some pretty good non-corporate dev jobs.

you'll probably want to consider moving to some tech hubs
like new york, california or chicago.

with the skills you learned in college, you can do any number
of things....development, IT, support, sales, sales support.

you have a degree in a great industry with a LOT of growth
potential and phenomenal pay....everyone gets a bit stale
at your point...I know I did...but stick it out...get those certs
or start looking at new fields.

--------------------
All I know is The Growery is a place where losers who get banned here go.

OfflineMAIA
World-BridgerKartikeya (DftS)
Male User Gallery

Loc: Erra - 20 Tauri - M45 Sta...
    #4267587 - 06/07/05 12:00 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Learn HTML, XML, CSS, javascript, flash (the more web standards the best), then try start making web pages, sites, whatever. I know some people having a relatively good success doing this king of work.

MAIA

--------------------
Spiritual being, living a human experience ... The Shroomery Mandala

Use, do not abuse; neither abstinence nor excess ever renders man happy.
Voltaire

OfflineMych
Stranger

Re: im 23, burned out on school, dont like my current field.. what to do? [Re: afoaf]
    #4267593 - 06/07/05 12:00 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

afoaf said:
You can find some pretty good non-corporate dev jobs.

you'll probably want to consider moving to some tech hubs
like new york, california or chicago.

with the skills you learned in college, you can do any number
of things....development, IT, support, sales, sales support.

you have a degree in a great industry with a LOT of growth
potential and phenomenal pay....everyone gets a bit stale
at your point...I know I did...but stick it out...get those certs
or start looking at new fields.

im not software at all. helpdesk and sys/net admin is where im at.
Right now i have the full pack of Transcender practice exams for the 2003 MCSA. every time i open them i cant even finish reading the sentence before the first part of the question has completely left my mind. Its just THAT fucking boring. No idea how im going to get through a few rounds of 250 practice questions for each of my 4 certs.

OfflineMych
Stranger

Re: im 23, burned out on school, dont like my current field.. what to do? [Re: MAIA]
    #4267597 - 06/07/05 12:01 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

MAIA said:
Learn HTML, XML, CSS, javascript, flash (the more web standards the best), then try start making web pages, sites, whatever. I know some people having a relatively good success doing this king of work.

MAIA

i would kill myself before touching code.

Invisibleafoaf
CEO DBK?
 User Gallery

Re: im 23, burned out on school, dont like my current field.. what to do? [Re: MAIA]
    #4267601 - 06/07/05 12:02 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

omg, your avatar is awesome.

--------------------

Invisibleafoaf
CEO DBK?
 User Gallery

#4267654 - 06/07/05 12:16 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

since when do computer science degrees NOT involve writing code?@!

--------------------

OfflineMych
Stranger

Re: im 23, burned out on school, dont like my current field.. what to do? [Re: afoaf]
    #4267700 - 06/07/05 12:29 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

afoaf said:
since when do computer science degrees NOT involve writing code?@!

i never said my degree doesnt.. but that doesnt mean the job has to.
my career invloves network administration.. there is virtually no coding done here except for some troubleshooting and basic scripting.

Invisibleblink
eye of horus
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Geographic Location (Stat...
Re: im 23, burned out on school, dont like my current field.. what to do? *DELETED* [Re: Mych]
    #4267733 - 06/07/05 12:36 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Post deleted by blinkidiot

Reason for deletion: Im sorry

--------------------

Invisibleafoaf
CEO DBK?
 User Gallery

#4267769 - 06/07/05 12:46 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

if you're hearts not in it...it's not in it...but when you
start looking around at alternatives...the pay usually
makes the decision easier.

--------------------

OfflineMych
Stranger

Re: im 23, burned out on school, dont like my current field.. what to do? [Re: blink]
    #4267796 - 06/07/05 12:57 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

blinkidiot said:
Yeah, I hate code too.

My advice would be to find a small-mid sized company and be their sysadmin.

You get plenty of downtime but you have to be ready at a moments notice for all hell to break loose.

PS: I did 2 years equivilence in school and I'm doing just what I said.

i would definately be up for being THE sysadmin for a company. anything with an IT "department" seems to suck. Living in San Francisco you think i would be able to find something hey? I was unemployed for over 4 months, and went to 30 interviews to land this job. You have people with 10 years of experience applying for jobs that only require 1-2 years experience.. and you get to fight over the jobs with the overqualified.
if i could land a position like that i would LOVE it. finding those positions is the hard part.

i am honestly looking into some bartending or something right now till i figure out wtf to do or find the perfect job that you described. I have been looking for that job for years with no luck. Typically these people dont advertise a job opening in the traditional places like craigslist... so where do you find them?

InvisibleBi0TeK
elephant man

Loc: Yorkshire Moors, Great Br...
    #4267980 - 06/07/05 01:34 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

I'm kind of in the same boat as you.

I've been working in IT for ages now but I just want out. It bores me to tears and besides, alot of jobs are being outsourced to places where they're happy to work for a bowl of rice a day and its only going to get worse.

I decided I wanted something a bit more hands on so I've been doing a course in gas fitting/plumbing which is extremely well paid over here in the UK.

I passed all the theory exams 100% but missed the final practical exam by a whisker. Not surprising really as I'd only had 20 days hands on experience out of a year and a half on the damn course.

I'm looking at a driving job at the moment to save up some cash to resit the test, some of them pay around ?30,000 (roughly $60,000) a year so it shouldn't take long to save up.

I'd rather shovel shit than work in an office/IT environment again.

Whatever you plan on doing for a living I wish you luck  :thumbup:

--------------------

--------------------
PROMOTE BACTERIA. THEY'RE THE ONLY CULTURE SOME PEOPLE HAVE.

OfflineMych
Stranger

Re: im 23, burned out on school, dont like my current field.. what to do? [Re: Bi0TeK]
    #4268430 - 06/07/05 02:42 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Bi0TeK said:
I'm kind of in the same boat as you.

I've been working in IT for ages now but I just want out. It bores me to tears and besides, alot of jobs are being outsourced to places where they're happy to work for a bowl of rice a day and its only going to get worse.

I decided I wanted something a bit more hands on so I've been doing a course in gas fitting/plumbing which is extremely well paid over here in the UK.

I passed all the theory exams 100% but missed the final practical exam by a whisker. Not surprising really as I'd only had 20 days hands on experience out of a year and a half on the damn course.

I'm looking at a driving job at the moment to save up some cash to resit the test, some of them pay around ?30,000 (roughly $60,000) a year so it shouldn't take long to save up.

I'd rather shovel shit than work in an office/IT environment again.

Whatever you plan on doing for a living I wish you luck  :thumbup:

--------------------

man.. that exactly the kinda stuff i would rather be doing.  I just landed an interview for this little gig that pays you with a $600 bartending course.  I will get to learn all the open positions in this city AND how to bartend.. not a bad deal.  perhaps bartending will keep me happy till i figure out what im doing.

OfflineKidgardFromSRQ
Strange

#4268509 - 06/07/05 03:06 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

no flaming

--------------------
Be nice to people in general. Even if you don't like them.

Edited by gdman (06/07/05 04:38 PM)

Invisibleafoaf
CEO DBK?
 User Gallery

#4268716 - 06/07/05 04:18 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Bartending is no way to make a living.

That's not a career.

You don't have much job growth and you're not
going to build a nice 401k flipping bottles.

The whole outsourcing argument is a ruse.

Outsourcing IT resources is not a viable approach,
JP Morgan shitcanned a 5 billion $ contract with IBM's
IT services dept.

furthermore, the job you're looking for...being THE sysadmin
for a small to midsized company...is not a job that will NEVER
be outsourced in the first place.

look, you're reevaluating your life...that's good...sometimes
you have peaks and sometimes you have valleys...but you're
in a good field with great potential...just learn some more
shit and continue to grow.

I've been working since 2000 and in 5 years, my salary has
increased 140%...I've had 7 different positions for 3 different
companies and have seen some shitty times and some great
times.

Keep your head in the game, learn as much new shit
as possible, bust your ass and better opportunities will
make their way to you.

My current job I got from someone who I worked at at my
last job and now I'm doing a bunch of side projects for nice
jingle with a bunch of heads from my first job.

It's all very incestuous.

Bits and bytes can get boring, but it beats digging ditches, homie.

--------------------

OfflineKidgardFromSRQ
Strange

#4268750 - 06/07/05 04:30 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

actually, you could consider a fireman. i mean, it has great benefits and good pay. and plus you dont work the 9-5, you work maybe 1 day there, next day off, one day there, next day off, and so on through out the week, and so on(idk if you get certain days off though)

Aside from drug testing it sounds like a good job. But if you smoke or something and dont want to detox, just piss into a condom. Because I think state jobs piss test you.

--------------------
Be nice to people in general. Even if you don't like them.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder