Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
FiOS opinions
    #14868107 -

Mmmk, so I just moved. I ditched my cable interwebs and TV (Optimum/Cablevision) because they annoyed the fuck out of me with all the junk mail and calls and slow ass TV guide and retarded DVR and glitchy TV... Essentially they fucking sucked- the only thing they had going for them was service hardly ever went out.

I've heard that FiOS is quick and is a much better option; faster, cheaper, more reliable. For people who have or have had FiOS, were you happy with it? If not, why?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: FiOS opinions [Re: Gumby]
    #14868191 -

Gumby said:
Mmmk, so I just moved. I ditched my cable interwebs and TV (Optimum/Cablevision) because they annoyed the fuck out of me with all the junk mail and calls and slow ass TV guide and retarded DVR and glitchy TV... Essentially they fucking sucked- the only thing they had going for them was service hardly ever went out.

I've heard that FiOS is quick and is a much better option; faster, cheaper, more reliable. For people who have or have had FiOS, were you happy with it? If not, why?




FIOS is the bees knees.
Never had a complaint with them ever.
:thumbup:


You still in the hood?


--------------------
Check out my gallery :sun:

Do YOU have The Band's sheet music books? I am paying cash!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: FiOS opinions [Re: Deekay]
    #14868281 -

Deekay said:
Gumby said:
Mmmk, so I just moved. I ditched my cable interwebs and TV (Optimum/Cablevision) because they annoyed the fuck out of me with all the junk mail and calls and slow ass TV guide and retarded DVR and glitchy TV... Essentially they fucking sucked- the only thing they had going for them was service hardly ever went out.

I've heard that FiOS is quick and is a much better option; faster, cheaper, more reliable. For people who have or have had FiOS, were you happy with it? If not, why?




FIOS is the bees knees.
Never had a complaint with them ever.
:thumbup:


You still in the hood?



lol, if you thought my old place was the hood, man, do I have some things to show you. Last place was actually in the safest, busiest part of Newark... I'm really gonna miss that place, it was the tits... but too expensive.

Now I'm pretty much living in South Orange. MUCH nicer area, but the apartment was a downgrade for sure. Gotta do what I gotta do to save the monies :shrug:

On the plus side, I do have a BITCHIN view of North Jersey, Manhattan, and the Bronx(not the best day to get a pic, it was hazy as shit yesterday), beats the hell out of looking at the side of a building like the view at my old place.


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: FiOS opinions [Re: Gumby]
    #14868297 -

25 meg synchronous with no bandwidth cap for 80 bucks a month?  Hell yes, count me in... Oh wait, I'm in Canada, and we're light years behind all civilized nations in terms of telecom :frown:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: FiOS opinions [Re: pwnasaurus]
    #14871099 -

They're saying 15/5mbps and 248 TV channels for $74.99 a month.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: FiOS opinions [Re: Gumby]
    #14871189 -

I love FiOS.  I've found it to be MUCH superior to cable.

I pay $128.53 for an HD box with DVR, and 25/25 internet (25 mbps down and up).  There is no data cap.  Because its "bundled", my internet is only $34.99/month.

When going to speedtest, my speeds are freaking pinned at 25/25 each and every time I check.  It makes downloading (and in particular, uploading) awesome.

Theoretically, I believe the TV picture quality is less compressed so it offers a better picture quality.  My TV however, isn't good enough to take advantage of this and on a 50" plasma I noticed no difference from HD cable.

For whatever reason, the broadcast 5.1 was markedly better then cable.  However, I haven't had cable for about 3 years now so maybe they've improved.  At the time I switched, the number of HD channels and channel "package" was improved too.

Like cable, there are "online" things and movies, just like cable.  Frankly, I cannot figure out how Comcast even retains a presence in my area.


--------------------
...the whole experience is (and is as) a profound piece of knowledge.  It is an indellible experience; it is forever known.  I have known myself in a way I doubt I would have ever occurred except as it did.

Smith, P.  Bull. Menninger Clinic (1959) 23:20-27; p. 27.

...most subjects find the experience valuable, some find it frightening, and many say that is it uniquely lovely.

Osmond, H.  Annals, NY Acad Science (1957) 66:418-434; p.436

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: FiOS opinions [Re: Gumby]
    #14871196 -

i've been thinking about going for fios a lot, but my cable internet is only 25 a month from time warner and i pull over 20 megs most of the time. it seems like you're paying a premium just to get the fios hardware at those speeds. i've heard nothing but positive stuff about fios though if you think it's a good price.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: FiOS opinions [Re: Gumby]
    #14871244 -

I give FiOS a :thumbup:

I never seem to have any problems with Internet or TV, although I do get an occaisonal digital hiccup as far as TV goes.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: FiOS opinions [Re: badchad]
    #14871822 -

Badchad, how many channels and how many boxes do you have at that price?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: FiOS opinions [Re: Gumby]
    #14871868 -

Dude why pay for TV?  It's such a waste of money.  Just download it with your 25/25 internet.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: FiOS opinions [Re: pwnasaurus]
    #14871873 -

I thought about that, but I like channel surfin and shit. I don't have a set of shows that I always watch.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: FiOS opinions [Re: Gumby]
    #14872128 -

Gumby said:
Badchad, how many channels and how many boxes do you have at that price?



I only have one box, but it includes DVR.  Maybe like 8-10 hrs. of record time?  Just from looking today, apparently I can program the DVR online (and probably with an app), but I've never done it.

Because I "bundle" internet and TV I get the "Extreme HD plan".  It's advertised as 285 channels with 70+ in HD.  No HBO or anything.  When I first signed up like two years ago, I recall the HD selection was better, and the box had HDMI out which cable did not.  I'd imagine cable has caught up by now but I dunno.

I thought about just downloading content, but since I require HD and 5.1 sound it would probably be at least a few gigs for an hour two of programming.  The convenience of DVR and the "channel surf" factor are worth it.


--------------------
...the whole experience is (and is as) a profound piece of knowledge.  It is an indellible experience; it is forever known.  I have known myself in a way I doubt I would have ever occurred except as it did.

Smith, P.  Bull. Menninger Clinic (1959) 23:20-27; p. 27.

...most subjects find the experience valuable, some find it frightening, and many say that is it uniquely lovely.

Osmond, H.  Annals, NY Acad Science (1957) 66:418-434; p.436

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: FiOS opinions [Re: badchad]
    #14872900 -

Well, I don't live too far from you as you already know. My dad was thinking about it. It looked like a great deal and everything.

Had some weird offers though. Different people who called, talked to him here in our apartment, gave him different deals, competition between employees:lol:? Something tells me FiOS employees can't whip out better deals to sell a product.

Anyway, some people my parents know said they dropped FiOS and went back to Optimum/Cablevision. If Optimum's commercial statistics of people going back to Optimum because they didn't like FiOS' services more is right, well, yeah.

For the price, the channels looked great. There's channels I don't have.

For me though, there's one bad thing about the channels. MSG doesn't come in HD. I'm a big Knicks fan so that's a necessity for me. Standard definition channels don't even look as good as shows on a standard definition TV. Hopefully Cablevision expands MSG in HD into other providers.


--------------------

Edited by SprewellSleeve (08/04/11 03:22 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: FiOS opinions [Re: badchad]
    #14872952 -

badchad said:
Gumby said:
Badchad, how many channels and how many boxes do you have at that price?



I only have one box, but it includes DVR.  Maybe like 8-10 hrs. of record time?  Just from looking today, apparently I can program the DVR online (and probably with an app), but I've never done it.

Because I "bundle" internet and TV I get the "Extreme HD plan".  It's advertised as 285 channels with 70+ in HD.  No HBO or anything.  When I first signed up like two years ago, I recall the HD selection was better, and the box had HDMI out which cable did not.  I'd imagine cable has caught up by now but I dunno.

I thought about just downloading content, but since I require HD and 5.1 sound it would probably be at least a few gigs for an hour two of programming.  The convenience of DVR and the "channel surf" factor are worth it.



What does it matter how big the files are if you have 25/25 internet with no bandwidth  cap?  BTW HD w/ 5.1 sound is ~900 meg for an hour long TV show (42 minutes with no commercials).

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: FiOS opinions [Re: badchad]
    #14874690 -

badchad said:
Gumby said:
Badchad, how many channels and how many boxes do you have at that price?



I only have one box, but it includes DVR.  Maybe like 8-10 hrs. of record time?  Just from looking today, apparently I can program the DVR online (and probably with an app), but I've never done it.

Because I "bundle" internet and TV I get the "Extreme HD plan".  It's advertised as 285 channels with 70+ in HD.  No HBO or anything.  When I first signed up like two years ago, I recall the HD selection was better, and the box had HDMI out which cable did not.  I'd imagine cable has caught up by now but I dunno.

I thought about just downloading content, but since I require HD and 5.1 sound it would probably be at least a few gigs for an hour two of programming.  The convenience of DVR and the "channel surf" factor are worth it.



Sounds like you have the exact same plan that I just signed up for. I'm stoked to see how it works out. Never had internets that fast before and look forward to a channel guide I don't have to wait 10-15 seconds on to load.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* I want FiOS
( 1 2 3 all )
Boom 1,243 40 05/02/07 08:58 PM
by Boom
* FiOS Friggin' ROXXORS!!!!! (Videos added!)
( 1 2 all )
TM 1,716 38 04/10/10 01:34 PM
by pwnasaurus
* Verizon FiOs Liquid_Dimension 861 12 12/19/07 12:36 PM
by Jamio
* Hooked on the Hist. Channel
( 1 2 all )
IgnatiusJReilly 1,853 24 10/17/05 12:01 AM
by thepodman
* Im going to see a psychiatrist....opinions please? phishytrip 2,738 17 02/23/05 12:15 PM
by niteowl
* Clear Channel vs. Dissenters OneMoreRobot3021 863 1 07/12/04 10:55 AM
by OneMoreRobot3021
* Why is there no channel 1?? DrunkenAttempt 1,060 11 06/30/06 07:24 PM
by Atheist
* The Discovery Channel Song: I love it!!!! MOTH 1,697 10 05/23/04 09:16 PM
by OldSpice

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Entire Staff
584 topic views. 3 members, 27 guests and 63 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.031 seconds spending 0.009 seconds on 16 queries.