Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   North Spore Injection Grain Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
gas exchange for stalled cakes, a new idea
    #14677660 -

SO I knocked up 10 BRF cakes about 5 weeks ago, took a while but I finally got to 3 about 80% 4 about 60% 2 about 50% and one that I thought was a dud. But after adding a heat bomb, after 3 weeks (increasing the temp in my IC from 76ish to 82ish) I got two inoc points to start germinating.
  The one that I thought was a dud is doing well now, but the rest seem to have stalled. They have way too much uncolonized BRF mix to try to fruit. And since I have 5 quart jars of WBS that are doing very well, and I expect to have much success with them. I decided to stray from the PF tek with my BRF cakes.
  Up until today I have had foil on the top of them. the same foil that I PCed them with. I was unclear about leaving it off after I knocked em up so I put it back on as soon as I finished shooting em up. But I have read a lot about gas exchange during colonization and first I just decided to take the foil off, but then I though about it... co2 is heaver than oxygen so any co2 trapped in the jars would likely stay. Unless... Now here's where all of you are gonna tell me, "you're a noob, don't stray from the tek or you will fail"... I turned them all upside down so the co2 could fall out of the 4 inoc points in the jar lids. I put down two layers of wash cloths heavily sprayed with Lysol. I figured this would act as a good filter for any air entering the jars and allow for the co2 build up, that I think is the cause for the stall, to escape.
  My IC is a cabinet over my fridge that gets no light and stays at about 40% RH, and the air isn't being forced into the jars so I don't think FAE will occur at a rate that will encourage fruiting plus the temp is still 82ish.
  I know I'm new to this but i have done about 5 years of research on this stuff before I ever ordered my spores. And Im not an idiot, if I was banking on my BRF jars I would have never strayed from the PF tek but like I said, my WBS jars are doing well and I wanted to try something new to see if it would help. I know I should have gone on here and asked about it first but when the idea came to me it seemed like a good one and I just did it. now I want know if anyone with experience has tried something similar and what was the result. And I will keep all the rest of you posted on the outcome.


--------------------
I'm no pro, nor do I claim to be. But I have had some success. If I post any info or advice, it's what I've witnessed and learned first hand. Never just something that I read and regurgitated in order to sound like a know it all! What worked for me, may not work for you. And now you cant say I didn't warn you!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: gas exchange for stalled cakes, a new idea [Re: John8247]
    #14677688 -

Yup,when I was using the brf tek I would flip my jars upside down at 90 %.They take off after that


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: gas exchange for stalled cakes, a new idea [Re: Just Some Asshole]
    #14677748 -

that's what I was hoping to hear


--------------------
I'm no pro, nor do I claim to be. But I have had some success. If I post any info or advice, it's what I've witnessed and learned first hand. Never just something that I read and regurgitated in order to sound like a know it all! What worked for me, may not work for you. And now you cant say I didn't warn you!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: gas exchange for stalled cakes, a new idea [Re: John8247]
    #14677752 -

CO2 doesn't settle out of air like that.


--------------------
You make it all possible. Doesn't it feel good?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: gas exchange for stalled cakes, a new idea [Re: Doc_T]
    #14677778 -

no shit...well damn,I read that in a post roadkill had made.
I had a few cakes stall out at about 90% and it seemed like they would finish soon after I turned them
OP, listen to doc,he knows his stuff


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: gas exchange for stalled cakes, a new idea [Re: Just Some Asshole]
    #14677867 -

yeah, I know I'm using his WBS tek with great success! Should I turn the back upright doc?


--------------------
I'm no pro, nor do I claim to be. But I have had some success. If I post any info or advice, it's what I've witnessed and learned first hand. Never just something that I read and regurgitated in order to sound like a know it all! What worked for me, may not work for you. And now you cant say I didn't warn you!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: gas exchange for stalled cakes, a new idea [Re: John8247]
    #14678663 -

That's doc34's wbs tek, I do grains like RR does.
My advice: stop messing with them.


--------------------
You make it all possible. Doesn't it feel good?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: gas exchange for stalled cakes, a new idea [Re: John8247]
    #14678958 -

John8247 said:
  Up until today I have had foil on the top of them. the same foil that I PCed them with. I was unclear about leaving it off after I knocked em up so I put it back on as soon as I finished shooting em up.




I've personally posted at least a thousand times to remove the foil as soon as you remove the jars from the sterilizer.  Your problem isn't CO2, but probably bacteria contamination from leaving the foil on, which keeps your 'dry' verm filter damp.  This allows bacteria in the air to colonize right through the verm to the brf below.
RR


--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms



semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: gas exchange for stalled cakes, a new idea [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #14682101 -

Wow, I need to pay better attention to what I am reading. Most of what I know about these things comes from your threads, RR, here and at Mycotopia. Don't know how I over looked that info. But i do know better now and wont make the same mistake next time. At the moment there are no obvious signs of contamination, should I turn the jars back upright and hope for the best or just leave them the way they are and see what happens. BTW I appreciate both of you, Doc and RR, for taking the time to steer me in the right direction. As far as experience goes, I couldn't have asked for two better people to give me advice. And one more thing while I got your attention RR. I've heard that you can do strain isolation on cardboard, seems a lot easier than agar. What are your thoughts on that?


--------------------
I'm no pro, nor do I claim to be. But I have had some success. If I post any info or advice, it's what I've witnessed and learned first hand. Never just something that I read and regurgitated in order to sound like a know it all! What worked for me, may not work for you. And now you cant say I didn't warn you!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: gas exchange for stalled cakes, a new idea [Re: John8247]
    #14682404 -

Ok. Jars are back upright, without any foil! Wont be making that mistake again.


--------------------
I'm no pro, nor do I claim to be. But I have had some success. If I post any info or advice, it's what I've witnessed and learned first hand. Never just something that I read and regurgitated in order to sound like a know it all! What worked for me, may not work for you. And now you cant say I didn't warn you!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   North Spore Injection Grain Bag


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Help with stalled cake colonization psyphon 2,405 6 12/05/01 03:50 PM
by psyphon
* using an air pump for gas exchange.. HOW BIG? toastytrip 2,615 9 10/17/19 09:16 PM
by bodhisatta
* Re: Gas exchange and pinning ALDER_057 1,159 7 04/19/01 12:31 AM
by Russdogg
* Stalled Cakes ... Should I Filter Incubator Air ? Prodijal_Son 902 3 10/03/02 09:58 AM
by happygrins
* IDEA! : STALLED CAKE COLONIZATION SOLUTION? Split 2,434 6 02/14/02 12:46 PM
by Split
* Gas exchange for jars? 777D777 3,263 13 09/27/01 12:46 AM
by Daydreamer
* Gas exchange: Aquarium Pumps and Coolmists psyphon 3,037 7 09/22/02 05:25 AM
by REPLICON_TRON
* whats with gas exchange i hear about? sweetillusionz69 1,014 4 05/11/02 01:12 PM
by geokills

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Shroomism, george castanza, RogerRabbit, veggie, mushboy, fahtster, the_chosen_one, LogicaL Chaos, 13shrooms, hamloaf, cronicr, Stipe-n Cap, Pastywhyte, bodhisatta, Tormato, Land Trout, A.k.a
812 topic views. 15 members, 174 guests and 352 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.025 seconds spending 0.007 seconds on 14 queries.