Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineoO_wombat_Oo
Stranger
Male User Gallery
Loc: NSW, Australia.
Do different strains = different trips?
    #1441964 - 04/09/03 04:48 AM (21 years, 13 days ago)

I understand that there's a difference in various things such as mycelium growth, incubation speed, mushroom apearance, potency etc.

What I want to know is do different strains make for a different trip? I've heard people swear black and blue that different strains affect them differently (and not just in varying potencies), but I've also heard it said that's just a load of BS (i.e. the active chemicals are the same, no matter where they come from).

Anyone have a conclusive answer?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineTeKn0
†hè
Male User Gallery

Loc: ŵįţĥįń ? ?ŧąţĩ�...
Re: Do different strains = different trips? [Re: oO_wombat_Oo]
    #1442066 - 04/09/03 06:28 AM (21 years, 13 days ago)

Well...
In my experience, Koi Samui's Have given the most visually intense trip I have ever had, however Peurto Rican's give me a crazy trip, a fair amount of visuals but mostly mindfuck compared to the Thai's.
Then there is B , which was a very mild low visual trip, and GT's which are just a good all around strain.
All doses were approximately 4 dry grams.

Good Luck  :wink:   

--------------------
Listen, or your tongue will keep you deaf. :wink:
ŦēҜй? - ??ĜįĈ?? ҒűČҝĮńĜ ?đVǻŃčЄмЄńŦ

Edited by TeKn0 (04/09/03 06:30 AM)

Offlineshirley knott
not my real name
 User Gallery
Loc: London
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Do different strains = different trips? [Re: TeKn0]
    #1442081 - 04/09/03 06:37 AM (21 years, 13 days ago)

the only time i noticed a real difference was when i tried a larger dose. 6g cambos knocked me on my ass, but i've never yet tried any other strains at that strength. oh, but i will!

--------------------
buh

Invisiblegeorge castanzaM
Lord Of The Idiots!
Male User Gallery
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Do different strains = different trips? [Re: shirley knott]
    #1442129 - 04/09/03 07:12 AM (21 years, 13 days ago)

they damn sure do
1st shrooms i ever ate(??strain/species??) guessing 3-5 gram dose. talked to god
eq. drunken visuals and total mind fuck
pesa.best all around buzz got it all in the right proportions
mexi-cub. nice visuals very mellow hardly any mind fuck or body noise
cambo. heavy visuals and lots of colors

says kramer

--------------------
KRAMER CAKES

InvisibleDiploidM
Cuban

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Rabbit Hole
Trusted Cultivator
    #1442227 - 04/09/03 08:17 AM (21 years, 13 days ago)

Psilocybin is rapidly converted to psilocin once you eat a mushroom and psilocin is the same substance no matter what species it comes from. If the molecule is identical in all cases, how can one mushroom give a different trip than another?

In the case of marijuana, there are many different chemicals involved in the high, so different strains produce different effects since the proportion of the various active chemicals differs. As far as I know, that's not the case with mushrooms. The trip comes exclusively from psilocin in every case.

--------------------
Republican Values:

1) You can't get married to your spouse who is the same sex as you.
2) You can't have an abortion no matter how much you don't want a child.
3) You can't have a certain plant in your possession or you'll get locked up with a rapist and a murderer.

4) We need a smaller, less-intrusive government.

Anonymous

Re: Do different strains = different trips? [Re: george castanza]
    #1442234 - 04/09/03 08:21 AM (21 years, 13 days ago)

For my friend he has noticed that his cambos where more of a mind fuck and baerly any visuals. His conclusion to why they are differnt is mayby the strian is differnt if it comes from differnt sources or mayby its the substrate, but he thinks it all depends on the person. For differnt people trips are differnt. He and his wife ate the same amount of PR's (and others) fresh from the same casing at the same time, and it was completly differnt for each of them. And he has done many others and his fav is GT's.
And what diploid said I dont totally agree with. I am sorry, I am not ragging on you but my friend has eatin alot of differnt strains with a dramatic differnce with each strain. And he is 28 and has been tripping since he was 15 so its not like his first time to evaluate the differnce between them but with each strain its completly differnt. He had his wife give him 5, 00 gel caps full of mushies and he had 6 differnt strains that it could be and an hour into it his first guess was right. So that tells me that if someone can do that thier has to be a differnce.

Edited by fee (04/09/03 08:28 AM)

Invisiblematts
matts

[Re: fee]
    #1442240 - 04/09/03 08:23 AM (21 years, 13 days ago)

OfflineODhaze
outdoorhaze

Loc: in the haze
Re: Do different strains = different trips? [Re: matts]
    #1442256 - 04/09/03 08:33 AM (21 years, 13 days ago)

yeah what about baeocystin and nor-baeocystin? arent those two different hallucinatory chemicals? also what about the psilocin thats already present?

i think different amounts of chemicals at different times (as they enter the brain at different times, however slight that may be) can alter the trip just enough to give each strain its own "thumbprint" experience,

then again, many will say that each mushroom is different (and i agree its entirely possible) even changes in the growing conditions at any point, and even different flushes can all effect the alkaloid content..

what about slow grown shrooms eh? some say they are more potent? maybe just more of different chemicals.. fruiting at say 50-60 F

-odh-

--------------------
I believe i will go out to the seashore, let the waves wash my mind. Gunna open up my head now just to see what i can find...

Anonymous

Re: Do different strains = different trips? [Re: ODhaze]
    #1442264 - 04/09/03 08:37 AM (21 years, 13 days ago)

chemical make up differs little between STRAINS.

perhaps species.. but cubensis is cubensis... and the environment and substrate probably have ten times more to do with the presence of actives chemicals than the strain.

does meat from black cows taste different than meat from brown cows? probably, if they're raised and treated differently..

InvisibleDiploidM
Cuban

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Rabbit Hole
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Do different strains = different trips? [Re: matts]
    #1442285 - 04/09/03 08:51 AM (21 years, 13 days ago)

Quote:

Because there are more than 2 chemicals in a mushroom.

Sure, there are thousands of chemicals in a mushroom, but only two are known to be psychoactive, psilocybin and psilocin; and psilocybin is very rapidly dephosphorylated by alkaline phosphatase to psilocin so it doesn't count.

Mushrooms also contain smaller amounts of baeocystin and norbaeocystin and both are probably psychoactive but they're just psilocybin with one or two methyls missing, are probably cross-tolerant due to their structure, and occur in much smaller concentrations than psilocybin.

This leaves us with at most three (psilocin, baeocystin and norbaeocystin) psychoactive alkaloids. It doesn't seem likely that the widely varying 'flavors' of trips people report could be due to just these three substances.

I agree that people seem to have different trips with different mushrooms, but I'm not convinced that the differences in the trips are due to the different mushrooms as much as from different environments, surroundings, and state of mind.

-Diploid

--------------------
Republican Values:

1) You can't get married to your spouse who is the same sex as you.
2) You can't have an abortion no matter how much you don't want a child.
3) You can't have a certain plant in your possession or you'll get locked up with a rapist and a murderer.

4) We need a smaller, less-intrusive government.

Edited by Diploid (04/09/03 09:14 AM)

Anonymous

Re: Do different strains = different trips? [Re: Diploid]
    #1442322 - 04/09/03 09:06 AM (21 years, 13 days ago)

Diploid-With what you said earlier with bud. The only chemical in pot that gets you high is THC and if a bud does not contain THC then its a legal bud. So if thier are differnt chemicals in it that get you high as you claim, why dont people get that chemical and get high off that legally? Its like everything in life. Differnt races make people act differnt yet we are all people. Like take identical twins they are (from what I have seen) so close to the same and about the only thing that makes them diifernt is thier personality, which they most likly got from thier enviroment. But thier brother is so differnt it aint funny. What I am getting at is that is that the people are the mushroom and the size, shape, ect, is from thier enviroment but everything else is the same. No one can convince me that a cube is a cube. Sorry I just dont believe it. In this case pot is pot and we all know that aint true.

Lord Of The Idiots!
Male User Gallery
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Do different strains = different trips? [Re: fee]
    #1442337 - 04/09/03 09:11 AM (21 years, 13 days ago)

well put fee i have to agree :wink:

--------------------
KRAMER CAKES

Offlinesi1988crx
Beep beep byebye

#1444259 - 04/09/03 07:24 PM (21 years, 12 days ago)

Maybe some of the chemicals that are found in mushrooms are not psychoactive by themselves, but maybe in conjunction with one another, or in conjunction with a psychoactive chemical (such as psilocybin or psilocin) they can become psychoactive and/or alter the trip. This may account for the variances that people describe when taking different strains.

Offlinemelishroom
melissa

Loc: Texas YALL
Re: Do different strains = different trips? [Re: si1988crx]
    #1444290 - 04/09/03 07:34 PM (21 years, 12 days ago)

fee --- i dont think its just THC. there's also canabinoids (spelling?) and i'm fairly certain those influence the high.

OfflineoO_wombat_Oo
Stranger
Male User Gallery
Loc: NSW, Australia.
Re: Do different strains = different trips? [Re: si1988crx]
    #1444342 - 04/09/03 07:46 PM (21 years, 12 days ago)

Well, I'm not an experienced tripper, but since I started the topic I'll put my 2 cents in too. :smile:

I've been thinking about it, and came up with two pretty solid arguments - one for, and one against.

I was thinking that since each strain definitely does contain different amounts of chemicals and stuff, then they're surely all different. I don't think it matters much if they're not psychoactive chemicals. They would still have an effect on your body and your experience. In fact, it matters stuff-all if they're psychoactive. Just their very presence in your body is certainly going to have some affect. Paracetamol, for example, is definitely not a psychoactive chemical. But if you down a few pain killers you're going to feel different. There's obviously a huge amount of non-psychoactive chemicals that make you feel different. Basically, just because something is not psychoactive does  not mean that it has no affect on you. So assuming that's true, the trip would almost certainly be different, wouldn't it? The psilocin makes you trip and the other stuff adds the "flavour" of the strain.

On the other side of the coin, people are obviously reporting a different experience with different strains. That's rather contradictory to say the least. One person has claimed to have a very visual/colourful trip with Cambodians, while another writes them off as "mostly mindfuck". Everyone knows how important "set and setting" are when tripping. Maybe it's possible that a persons expectations as eating a certain strain go more into making the trip than any difference present in that actual strain. They expect and believe their experience will be similair to their first experience with that particular strain, so - presto! - it is.

Well, obvioulsy they're two contradictory arguments, so nothing has been solved. But it's something to think about. I'd be interested on hearing what some experienced psychonauts think about this.

Edited by oO_wombat_Oo (04/09/03 07:52 PM)

Offlineliftedoff420
i need drugs

Loc: fo-1-five
    #1444390 - 04/09/03 07:57 PM (21 years, 12 days ago)

its bullshit...it depends on YOU..not the muhroom

some people are saying cambos were good colorfull visuals

a few posts later someone said cambos were a mindfuck with no visuals

Anonymous

#1444616 - 04/09/03 08:58 PM (21 years, 12 days ago)

Not going to describe, as I think it is futile....
Personally my Dawg and his pack have noticed a large difference between Plantasia and EQ. Just our thoughts :smile: 

Anonymous

Re: Do different strains = different trips? [Re: ]
    #1444734 - 04/09/03 09:35 PM (21 years, 12 days ago)

When I said mostly mind fuck with the cambo's it was mostly and thier where visuals but not like with GT's. And the two cambo's could be differnt because of the source from where it originated. If a wild cambo was picked now I bet money it would be different than the one's picked in the wild ten years ago. Darwins theory of evalution. But I truely believe that if you take one print and make 4 syringes then make say ten different casings all with out the same conditions I bet the trip will be simular, maybe not the potency but the trip itself will be the same. I have tried this and can say that this much is true and that differnt strains made differnt trips. GT's give me the shits and cambos dont. Unless you have experimented with this subject I dont know how you can make these asumptions. I have expeirimented with this because I once did believe that a cube is a cube but it is BULLSHIT I know from expiernce.

Lord Of The Idiots!
Male User Gallery
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Do different strains = different trips? [Re: liftedoff420]
    #1444860 - 04/09/03 10:09 PM (21 years, 12 days ago)

Quote:

its bullshit...it depends on YOU..not the muhroom

some people are saying cambos were good colorfull visuals

a few posts later someone said cambos were a mindfuck with no visuals

not bullshit you only have it half right it depends on You and the Mushroom
and btw i hear there are two distintivly different strains of camboidians going around :cool:

--------------------
KRAMER CAKES

Anonymous

#1445022 - 04/09/03 10:54 PM (21 years, 12 days ago)

The strain of cambos from homestead book comp sucks they are not even close to as good as those from other vendors like TLG from what I hear. Thank you Mr.Castanza

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules