Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

PhytoExtractum Shop: Kratom Powder for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineShroomDoom
Friend of the Medicine
 User Gallery

Loc: A Psychedelic State Flag
Middle Eastern Psychedelic Dub in progress. Need feedback
    #14364927 - 04/28/11 01:55 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

ok i need feedback, positive and negative on this track I have in the works in Ableton. Its my first upload to soundcloud EVER :smile:.
  This is an idea that I recently have been nurturing. I want to combine a dubstep/dub track with world and psytrance influences.  This little snippet has a sampling of all three influences but Its far from complete, just a musical sketch sort of. Just wondering if the idea sounds good so far to someone else's ears and what direction (if any) I should take it from here. Appreciate all feedback. Thanks.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineGreenvalley
PRS
Male User Gallery

Loc: Why not?
Re: Middle Eastern Psychedelic Dub in progress. Need feedback [Re: ShroomDoom]
    #14364951 - 04/28/11 02:06 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

I like it, but it could be longer, over all 4/5:thumbup:

OfflineShroomDoom
Friend of the Medicine
 User Gallery

Re: Middle Eastern Psychedelic Dub in progress. Need feedback [Re: Greenvalley]
    #14364965 - 04/28/11 02:11 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Greenvalley said:
I like it, but it could be longer, over all 4/5:thumbup:

wow really? thanks!

yes its definitely going to be 3-4 minutes when all said and done...for now its just a snippet. i appreciate the kind words. glad you like the concept.

--------------------

Offlinetk3
wobbly zombie

#14365443 - 04/28/11 07:01 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

i like the concept.  The bass swipe is cool and the stringed instrument is also pretty cool.  Wondering if thats a straight recording or how you did that.

I guess you know the mixing/mastering is terrible, particularly on the drums.

I really want people to check out my music, thats why i'm giving people feedback

http://soundcloud.com/kayimbo/something-something-version-e3

OfflineShroomDoom
Friend of the Medicine
 User Gallery

Re: Middle Eastern Psychedelic Dub in progress. Need feedback [Re: tk3]
    #14365691 - 04/28/11 08:03 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

tk3 said:
i like the concept.  The bass swipe is cool and the stringed instrument is also pretty cool.  Wondering if thats a straight recording or how you did that.

that stringed istrument is an Oud. I just snagged the sample and then warped it slightly to fit it into the BPM of the track. I had to do very little to it.
Quote:

I guess you know the mixing/mastering is terrible, particularly on the drums.

oh totally dude. lol I did a half-assed mixdown in like 3 minutes. very rushed. the drum track was flattened from racks with routing capabilities into wav on accident so that will have to be fixed regardless. No layers or effects, save for a little tiny delay on some hats. Needs much more processing. thanks for being honest!! lol
Quote:

http://soundcloud.com/kayimbo/something-something-version-e3

QUALITY tune. this really needs very little tbh. Chord progression is on point,  definitely a lot of emotion coming through. I suppose aside from rolling off some of those higher end synths a bit to give more clarity to that frequency range and then filling out the lower end just a bit more (is it lacking sub? I can;t tell because im not hooked up to my monitors atm). maybe a little more punch to the drums but other than that you really got yourself a jam there. respect.

--------------------

Offlinetk3
wobbly zombie

#14365749 - 04/28/11 08:26 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

flattened from racks
im not hooked up to my monitors atm

orly?  do you know a bit?  I run into alot of problems with the mastering because i love to stereo image the shit out of everything.  Is there like a "right" way to do it so it sounds okay across multiple systems?

Right now i've got is set for speakers fairly far apart.

OfflineShroomDoom
Friend of the Medicine
 User Gallery

#14365924 - 04/28/11 09:25 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

tk3 said:
Quote:

flattened from racks
im not hooked up to my monitors atm

orly?  do you know a bit?  I run into alot of problems with the mastering because i love to stereo image the shit out of everything.  Is there like a "right" way to do it so it sounds okay across multiple systems?

Right now i've got is set for speakers fairly far apart.

I know that laptop speakers don't pick up shit as far as low ends so I want to listen to your track when I get home and hook my monitors up. Monitors (for the most part) are meant for flat mixing so I guess the best way to help give you an idea of how it will translate is to actually listen to it on multiple systems. Export your track and put it on a cd. Listen to it on shitty laptop speakers like mine. Listen to it in the car stero. Listen to it on headphones. After a while you will have an idea what is lacking in the way it translates to normal speakers and what is overt and needs toning down.

--------------------

Offlinetk3
wobbly zombie

#14365955 - 04/28/11 09:32 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

for EQing i have my own SECRET method which i've never seen mentioned anywhere else before for mixing without expensive monitors or bouncing it from system to system.

The thing that fucks me up is the stereo imaging.  lately by default i've just been setting everything for a club sort of sound system, but i'm i'm about 65% sure i'm doing something wrong or my favorite songs would sound like shit when i listen to them on headphones...

i dunno.  Lemme know when you got some bass if you still think the highs are too low.  As a personal preference i create little frequency gaps or big notches between sub and mid range, you're not the first person whose told me i make my mixes a bit off though :frown:.

I tried it out on a laptop and sounded alright, some weird jumps in the highs at a couple points but i kind of liked it.  Gonna try it out in a car.

Lets hear some progress on your track tonight!

OfflineShroomDoom
Friend of the Medicine
 User Gallery

#14366040 - 04/28/11 09:57 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

As a personal preference i create little frequency gaps or big notches between sub and mid range, you're not the first person whose told me i make my mixes a bit off though .

theres nothing wrong with that. Just sonic space that can be filled if you choose to. Or arguably that frequency range being left vacant can provide some overlap for others to come through better. Im too used to heavy layered synths that have such a broad spread, I forget all music doesn't have to sound that way.

Quote:

I tried it out on a laptop and sounded alright, some weird jumps in the highs at a couple points but i kind of liked it.  Gonna try it out in a car.

Lets hear some progress on your track tonight!

laptop speakers are like the crap of the crap so if it sounds decent there you're good man. I think the car stereo and the headphones should be much better referencing points as to how your mix will translate into most speaker systems.

Yeah I can't wait to work on that track tonight. dicking off at work here looking for more samples and massive tutorialss.

--------------------

InvisibleSunny
free-ballin
Male User Gallery

Loc: on the magic bus
    #14368753 - 04/28/11 06:51 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

ShroomDoom said:

ok i need feedback, positive and negative on this track I have in the works in Ableton. Its my first upload to soundcloud EVER :smile:.
  This is an idea that I recently have been nurturing. I want to combine a dubstep/dub track with world and psytrance influences.  This little snippet has a sampling of all three influences but Its far from complete, just a musical sketch sort of. Just wondering if the idea sounds good so far to someone else's ears and what direction (if any) I should take it from here. Appreciate all feedback. Thanks.

I like it ALOT dude. As you work it longer, try and build the melody and rhythm up in intensity, get it up to a fervor damn near. Then release it!

Do you listen to Turkish traditional music? It's quite nice, and might lend you some more ideas in the way of tension building.

--------------------
WAFFLEZZ!!!11!!!1!!!1!!!!

Jump to top Pages: 1

PhytoExtractum Shop: Kratom Powder for Sale