Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

North Spore Shop: Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 |  [ show all ]
Do you think you'd want to tour as a musician if you didn't need the money?
    #13824255 -

I was thinking about this idea for the past while, im wondering what you all think.....


Personally for myself i think if i had some amazing music worked out overtime and i had some millions of $$$$ i probably wouldn't be interested to do any sort of big shows but i may be inticed to try out some shows here and there when the time seems right, cause i think good music kinda cures all ills and when its really good its fucking awesome, so i like the shared experience but i definetely wouldn't want to bust myself every day to play shows night after night if i didn't really need the exposure or money.


Radiohead's a good example.... I don't know what their money situations like but im sure their tour revenues huge and they usually do their tours once a new record comes out so seems to be once every 3-4 years which is probably  less than many bands but its always worth it cause their shows are heady.

:psybong:

Edited by skatealex2 (01/21/11 03:04 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Do you think you'd want to tour as a musician if you didn't need the money? [Re: skatealex2]
    #13824267 -

I respect your opinion and I know what you mean.

Even if I didn't need the money, playing on stage in front of people is a feeling like unmatched.

Your hands still shake and your heart still races when entering the stage, and then, everything just clicks and you just rock.

God, I don't think performing in front of 100,000 plus would ever get boring. On the other hand, the intimacy of showing up at a small venue to a crowd more than delighted to see you play is also a unmatchable feeling.

Obviously, you wouldn't want to tour every year for long stretches of time but I don't think I could go without it, if I had that opportunity.


--------------------
"Are you high or just stupid?"   
"I assure you, I am NOT high"

::All my posts are fabrications or observed accounts of other people's experiences. All cultivation is for the growth of legal and edible gourmet mushrooms.::
Not A Medical Doctor.
Elementary Coir Tek
Damion's Favorite Links, I love em.

Study Them. Experience Them.Learn from Them. Respect Them.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Do you think you'd want to tour as a musician if you didn't need the money? [Re: skatealex2]
    #13824276 -

One of my dreams in life is to be in some kind band, tour shitty dive bars in the Midwest/North East, probably lose money, and meet a bunch of characters.


--------------------
!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Do you think you'd want to tour as a musician if you didn't need the money? [Re: jewunit]
    #13824367 -

ive been thinking of spending a couple thousand to tour when i get my band together  and im not planning on making any back. Thats what is about man, you get out there show people your stuff and if youre LUCKY everyone likes it, then maybe you make money playing gigs.

2 of my roommates are actually starting a month long tour accross the country with their punk bands in ten days, One is John the Baker and the Sperm Doners, the other is a 2 piece that my roomates do called, Under 15 Seconds. all their songs are under 15 seconds and they do sets of 50, people love it.



I hope to be able to tour with them next time they do a us tour with another band that one of them is in.

Tour till you DIE.


--------------------

"There is never a wrong note, bend it."
Jimi Hendrix


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Do you think you'd want to tour as a musician if you didn't need the money? [Re: sui]
    #13824370 -

i guess i misread that, id still tour even if i had the money. Look at Lesh and weir, theyll keep going till they really are Dead.


--------------------

"There is never a wrong note, bend it."
Jimi Hendrix


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Do you think you'd want to tour as a musician if you didn't need the money? [Re: skatealex2]
    #13824397 -

Radiohead is a great example. Shit, the beetles stopped playing shows altogether. A live show is great but I agree that it's the private act of creation that is probably most important for most musicians.


--------------------
check out my music!
drowse in prison and your waking will be but loss

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Do you think you'd want to tour as a musician if you didn't need the money? [Re: g00ru]
    #13824432 -

im into it fuck i bet even competition for the lower stuff is heavy if you want to open up for good musicians i went to a live bar show and freaking it was like tool and godsmack showed up in their 20 somethings then the strokes guys last lol fuck

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Do you think you'd want to tour as a musician if you didn't need the money? [Re: Konyap]
    #13824533 -

Yeah, money is the only reason musicians go on tour...:rolleyes:

I understand where you are coming from because now that you don't have to buy albums, and people just download music for free, musicians are more inclined to tour and sell merch. just to make up for the lost $$ in album sales.  Then I look at artists like Pretty Lights: they release everything for free off the website.  They tour specifically to make money, but also put on a good show, so it goes both ways.

90% of real musicians tour for the sake of playing live in front of fans, NOT THE $$, that's just a bonus.  The ones that are only in it for the money aren't real musicians... like you said, Radiohead doesn't tour all the time because they take their time creating good music instead of pumping out crap just for $$.

I consider myself a musician and if I had the chance to tour, I'd be happy just breaking even, as long as people got to listen to what I created.  Shoot, I play for free all the time anyways, lol.:headbang:

Being a musician is a lifestyle choice, not really a job, IMHO.:shrug:


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Do you think you'd want to tour as a musician if you didn't need the money? [Re: skatealex2]
    #13824602 -

The question is pretty ridiculous.  A more reasonable question would be, "Do you think you'd want to tour as a musician knowing you wouldn't make money?".  Or, "Do you think you can afford going on tour as a musician?" 

Unless you're only talking about if you were a huge act with a well established audience who know you will sell out venues then what are the possible answers to this question?
Are you viewing touring as strictly a money-making enterprise, or saying that you would regard it as such once you are a hypothetically rich musician?

When you say 'if' you had "some amazing music worked out overtime" and had all the money you wanted I'm not sure why you would lose all interest in ever performing again.  Are you saying that as a musician you would retire from performing(except to "try out some shows here and there")as soon as you had become theoretically financially successful, which is a big 'if'? 

Or you're saying you'd only be interested in composing, or maybe not since you'll already have it "worked out", so maybe just jamming with friends or on your own in your hypothetical future where you have a career as a highly successful musician with millions of dollars?  Ponder on how someone could viably go about having a career as a musician in our age.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Do you think you'd want to tour as a musician if you didn't need the money? [Re: skatealex2]
    #13824682 -

Did Phish and The Dead keep touring because they were low on cash? :rolleyes:
now that I re-read the Op, I think I understand what's going on...

You are trying to understand the logic... trying to justify why musicians like your Radiohead (or other bands that you assume have millions of $$) do not tour constantly.

The answer to your particular question for me would be yes, because personally, I like playing live music for people whether I'm getting paid or not... easy as that.

Music is not all about money though and not all famous musicians are rich.  But, in some ways you are correct about not wanting to bust ass every day/night playing shows, but that is because you are assuming that once someone becomes famous, playing live music becomes a stupid job and jobs aren't fun.:thumbdown: Or that the only reason to tour is for that money... what ever happened to touring for the fans?

You know there are plenty of artists out there only making $20-40k a year off their music/touring/merch/label/whatever, and millions of people know who they are... famous right?

What you are forgetting is that you aren't a famous musician that gets to decide whether or not to go on tour. Sometimes it's not even up to the musician... let's try the manager, or label, or whoever the band has singed contracts with that makes important choices about touring.

Besides that, there is even a larger number of musicians out there that would love to go on tour all year just to make enough money to survive the 12 months and do it all over again.  The only reason not to tour, really, is because you just got finished with a long tour and need to get back into a studio to record that new album or whatever.

Anyways, be more specific in your question, otherwise we assume you assume too much. Remember that getting a tour schedule set up(all the people involved get paid somehow) and travel arrangements and stage equipment(lights, fog, lazers, plus) and roadies and merchandise for the fans and drugs party supplies...  those are expenses.  It costs money to make money.  Your question makes me ask more questions.:shrug:


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Do you think you'd want to tour as a musician if you didn't need the money? [Re: LurkingWizards]
    #13824778 -

Ive been on tour, its pretty fun if you don't have fucking psycho manager:mad2:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Do you think you'd want to tour as a musician if you didn't need the money? [Re: Parkseerf]
    #13824855 -

Travel around the world playing shows, sleeping in swanky hotels and doing massive amounts of cocaine?

Sign me up.

Tours are a way to sell merchandise. Band merchandise = where the money comes from for the artists. They don't make a lot at all with CDs.

But in all seriousness - Playing on a stage is an unmatched feeling of awesome.


--------------------
+1 Post ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Do you think you'd want to tour as a musician if you didn't need the money? [Re: gzuf]
    #13824898 -

I think if I were loaded and had a cult following, I'd stop doing huge, packed out shows and start making surprise stops in local bars around the country.

Of course I'm too much of a pussy to play in front of crowds in real life so it's all just a fantasy haha

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Do you think you'd want to tour as a musician if you didn't need the money? [Re: Parkseerf]
    #13824909 -

I always day dream about playing a wailing guitar solo in outside and people walking by and stopping because it's just got so much soul. I get shivers every time. It's usually to Hard to Handle off Ladies and Gentlemen... I need to learn how to play the guitar...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Do you think you'd want to tour as a musician if you didn't need the money? [Re: bryguy27007]
    #13824929 -

Well get yourself a cheap stratocaster and start playing! Great stress reliever in my opinion.

Nothing like getting blitzed with some good herb and zoning out on the fret board.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Do you think you'd want to tour as a musician if you didn't need the money? [Re: Shr00m0fD00m]
    #13824990 -

I think if I was in the situation I would do what Shinedown did pre-sound of madness.

They did little shows maybe 2-3 a week when they toured, and did some random Radio shows, small public shows, etc. I loved that about them, and the music just seemed more.. powerful, special.

I also like Godsmack's venue at the House of Blues, for anyone who's seen it, it's very incredible. There is maybe 1000 people, they talk about their lives/touring, explain songs take requests, etc.

I'd do something in between those two things.


--------------------

~^*>~.Life is the hyphen between matter and spirit.~^*>~

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Do you think you'd want to tour as a musician if you didn't need the money? [Re: skatealex2]
    #13825046 -

Steely Dan is a prime example of this. I would tour some. I consider myself a pseudo-artist/musician. You know why?







































I'm not ready to suffer yet.:smirk:


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Do you think you'd want to tour as a musician if you didn't need the money? [Re: tyrannicalrex]
    #13825051 -


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Do you think you'd want to tour as a musician if you didn't need the money? [Re: Beanhead]
    #13825385 -

Well unless your just a super mega rockstar. Going on tour usually consist of sleeping in shitty cheap hotels, eating fast food, in a van ALL day, ect. BUT when your opening for a big act like we did playing shows is awesome! Really getting into the music in front of thousands of people at a time :feelsgoodman:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Do you think you'd want to tour as a musician if you didn't need the money? [Re: Beanhead]
    #13825459 -

Beanhead said:
I want nothing else but this :smile:...



I want to change my answer........ :thumbup:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 |  [ show all ]

North Spore Shop: Cultivation Supplies


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Those Who Have Toured
( 1 2 all )
Che_Night_Soil 1,748 26 04/22/04 05:53 PM
by Krishna
* Local bands on tour djfrog 1,375 5 05/26/03 10:50 PM
by Hooty
* Hardest Working Musician?
( 1 2 all )
Adom 4,963 30 05/06/03 10:00 AM
by Fliquid
* On Dead/Phish Tour!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Pala 1,771 8 08/13/03 10:11 PM
by YouEnjoyMyself
* Godsmack fans?
( 1 2 all )
L-Shroom-D 1,865 29 10/22/10 04:13 AM
by Dosile Kouki
* Godsmack fans? Bundy 561 9 09/11/11 11:43 PM
by LeftBehind
* Don't Anger Sully, Or You'll be Godsmacked! Penguarky Tunguin 482 3 05/08/06 10:51 PM
by downforpot
* Ever been Godsmacked? Moonshoe 254 1 01/22/14 02:47 PM
by Krik

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Entire Staff
3,463 topic views. 1 members, 166 guests and 86 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.033 seconds spending 0.01 seconds on 18 queries.