Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 |  [ show all ]
Re: Question for gun owners [Re: AsAboveSoBelow]
    #13782166 -

AsAboveSoBelow said:
so? do you believe everything you read in the news about how drugs are the devil?



I like drugs and a friend of the devil is a friend of mine.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Question for gun owners [Re: Silversoul]
    #13782169 -

Raped in the butt, with a gun.


--------------------
Yeah spinnin' around again
yea caught in a tailspin

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Question for gun owners [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #13782171 -

Prisoner#1 said:
the spiral said:
I forget what percentage of all gunshot wounds are inflicted by the victim's gun - I think it's pretty high.




I think you're wrong, there's 600,000,000 legally owned firearms in this
country, how many shootings in total are there? .0003% in comparison to
the number of legal firearms, just how many of those shootings were self
inflicted and how the hell can it be a high percentage



I wasn't only referring to self-inflicted wounds, but also to situations where an intruder gets their paws on your gun and shoots you with it, or your friend/wife/whatever accidently shoots you with it.  I think the statistic I was trying to remember was more like "In general, if you own a handgun you're more likely to shoot yourself or for someone else to shoot you with your own gun than you are to foil a burglary attempt" - which is quite different from saying that most gunshot wounds are self-inflicted.  I'm not sure if even that "adage" is true or just something that sounds like it could be right.

Nice catch.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Question for gun owners [Re: ChiefThunderbong]
    #13782177 -

There's been some great replies here, but ChiefThunderbong seems to have some serious anger issues.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Question for gun owners [Re: Silversoul]
    #13782181 -

Silversoul said:
Disclaimer:  I come in peace.  I am not here to take away your guns or extend the waiting period or anything like that.  I'm just trying to inquire about your interest in guns.  Please don't shoot.


So, what's the deal?  What do you get out of guns?  I mean, I understand having a hunting rifle, and I think hunting can be a good thing compared to eating factory-farmed animals.  I also understand why you might want to be armed in case someone breaks into your house while you're there, however unlikely that might be.  But those are practical concerns, and would just make guns another tool.  What I don't get is the whole "gun enthusiast" thing.  What's so awesome about guns that you'd want to arm yourself to the teeth?  I've shot a shotgun and a rifle before, and I suppose it was fun, but not enough to spend thousands of dollars building an arsenal.  What is it about guns that gets people drooling over some assault rifle?

I don't get it. :shrug:




1.) Shooting is fun.

2.) Shooting people is more fun.

3.) We're all going to come shoot at you now.

But more seriously, see how much variety and history there is surrounding guns? More than enough to form a life interest, just like anything else.


--------------------

wat man rly

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Question for gun owners [Re: Silversoul]
    #13782188 -

Not at all, just trying to answer your question. When society breaks down I intend to be the one doing the raping, not getting raped.


--------------------
Yeah spinnin' around again
yea caught in a tailspin

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Question for gun owners [Re: the spiral]
    #13782190 -

the spiral said:
Carrying a gun increases your risk of getting shot and killed - New Scientist, 2009




look at the source in the footnote, compiled it by a liberal organization
seeking to ban gun ownership, how about the FBI shooting statistics
showing that the armed are 4x more likely to be killed than the unarmed

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,152446,00.html

fact is, there's hundreds of thousands of people who save themselves and
others each year because they're armed, in most cases of shootings the
only person armed is the assailant, not the victim, let's look at the
columnbine shooting, the VA Tech shootings and the dozens of others that
have happened over the years, how many of those victims were armed?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Question for gun owners [Re: the spiral]
    #13782204 -

the spiral said:
I wasn't only referring to self-inflicted wounds, but also to situations where an intruder gets their paws on your gun and shoots you with it




mind showing real statistics then, not some slanted crap that originated from American Journal of Public Health
http://ajph.aphapublications.org/cgi/content/abstract/AJPH.2008.143099v1

the FBI compiles the real crime statistics, not some study done by liberals

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Question for gun owners [Re: blujay]
    #13782232 -

I have to say, I was expecting a lot of "shooting is fun" type of responses, but I'm intrigued at how many people have mentioned the history of guns.  As a history buff myself, that is something that I can relate to.  Tell me: do you guys collect antiques?


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Question for gun owners [Re: Silversoul]
    #13782314 -

I own a gun b/c rap music.



Actually I own a gun b/c Ive been stabbed before and had a very strong desire to have one when I saw the first guy pull the knife, its a desire that never faded.

Ive forgiven the sumbitches now and imagine zombies in the range targets instead. My ideal arsenal is simply my 2" S&W .38, a modified .22 and a tactical Remington shotgun.

I suppose if I come into some spare funds I might pick up a Para Hi-Cap 1911 .45 and a Bushmaster AR with a 6.5mm Grendel upper receiver, but I'll need to own land before justifying those.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Question for gun owners [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #13782318 -

I don't have a political dog in this fight, I'm just trying to offer up some ideas. If I was being political about this, though, I still don't think it would be fair to discredit a study, not on its merits, but only on its authors.

The claim that "if everyone was armed, there would be much less crime" is one that troubles me, though.  Even if that claim was true, when a (gun) crime was committed the outcome could potentially be horrific!  It can be quite difficult for a bystander to place where a gun's report comes from with any accuracy, and if everyone drew their weapons when some idiot shot some other idiot in public, the panicked, armed crowd could end up the victims of a bloody chain reaction that could result in a massacre.

I do find it somewhat compelling that the US has the most gun crime (per capita) of any country in the world, as well as the most gun ownership (per capita).  I imagine you do not think these two figures are related?  I think they probably are related to some extent, but it's a complex question.

Edit:
Prisoner#1 said:
the spiral said:
I wasn't only referring to self-inflicted wounds, but also to situations where an intruder gets their paws on your gun and shoots you with it




mind showing real statistics then, not some slanted crap that originated from American Journal of Public Health
http://ajph.aphapublications.org/cgi/content/abstract/AJPH.2008.143099v1

the FBI compiles the real crime statistics, not some study done by liberals



I care about the merits of an argument and very little about who authored said argument except in the most extreme cases.

I found this article to contain some interesting information.  It addresses, briefly, the question of the relationship between per capita gun ownership and crime (or, more accurately, how a sticky, venomous disaster results from any attempt to correlate those two things - due to the number of variables, not to mention the politics!).

Oh, and I think most people would consider the American Journal of Public Health a reasonably good source.  Do you have some longstanding beef with them?

Edited by the spiral (01/13/11 07:10 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Question for gun owners [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #13782459 -

Prisoner#1 said:
let's look at the
columnbine shooting, the VA Tech shootings and the dozens of others that
have happened over the years, how many of those victims were armed?



The two kids at columbine and the VA tech guy (and the guy who shot up the congresswoman the other day) would never have been able to rack up the incredible number of casualties they did without firearms.  I find those awful events to beg the more fundamental question, "why the heck was it so easy for those psychopaths to obtain firearms, and thus the ability to murder dozens of people in mere moments?" more strongly than the more tangential question "what if one of their potential victims was armed?" 


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Question for gun owners [Re: the spiral]
    #13782480 -

the spiral said:
I don't have a political dog in this fight, I'm just trying to offer up some ideas. If I was being political about this, though, I still don't think it would be fair to discredit a study, not on its merits, but only on its authors.



it's authors are pushing an agenda, nothing more

Based on survey data from a 2000 study published in the Journal of
Quantitative Criminology, U.S. civilians use guns to defend themselves
and others from crime at least 989,883 times per year."

http://www.springerlink.com/content/rngn3274255v6j67/

there were only 15000 murders in 2000 according to the Department of
Justice, 67% of those involved firearms, there were 90,000 rapes,
400,000 robberies, 900,000 assaults... in all, 1.4 million violent
crimes in 2000, there were still nearly a million crimes thwarted by
firearms owners... like I said, the study is biased because they push an
agenda, find something neutral for a statistic and it wont be
discredited through  statements people at Johns Hopkins Center for Gun
Policy or an organization that thinks that shootings are an epidemic

http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr/crime-in-the-u.s/2000/toc00.pdf


Quote:
The claim that "if everyone was armed, there would be much less crime" is one that troubles me, though.  Even if that claim was true, when a (gun) crime was committed the outcome could potentially be horrific!  It can be quite difficult for a bystander to place where a gun's report comes from with any accuracy, and if everyone drew their weapons when some idiot shot some other idiot in public, the panicked, armed crowd could end up the victims of a bloody chain reaction that could result in a massacre.



nice strawman, can you show us an instance where something like that has happened?


Quote:
I do find it somewhat compelling that the US has the most gun crime (per capita) of any country in the world



you shouldnt go by a 'per capita' statistic on this, you should compare it to legally owned firearms, in the UK they have no legally owned civilian firearms yet there's constantly a shooting, I mean seriously,
it's a fucking island that confiscated guns in 1997 and the police
obviously cant protect the citizens

http://articles.cnn.com/2010-06-02/justice/uk.england.shootings_1_crime-scenes-shooting-spree-police?_s=PM:CRIME
http://news.uk.msn.com/in-depth/raoul-moat-manhunt.aspx
http://findarticles.com/p/news-articles/daily-mail-london-england-the/mi_8002/is_2011_Jan_10/killed-double-shooting-family-home/ai_n56633522/
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/london/7903342.stm


a gun crime every 5 hours in a land that has no legally owned guns
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article494951.ece




Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Question for gun owners [Re: the spiral]
    #13782491 -

the spiral said:
Prisoner#1 said:
let's look at the
columnbine shooting, the VA Tech shootings and the dozens of others that
have happened over the years, how many of those victims were armed?



The two kids at columbine and the VA tech guy (and the guy who shot up the congresswoman the other day) would never have been able to rack up the incredible number of casualties they did without firearms.  I find those awful events to beg the more fundamental question, "why the heck was it so easy for those psychopaths to obtain firearms, and thus the ability to murder dozens of people in mere moments?" more strongly than the more tangential question "what if one of their potential victims was armed?" 





Bullshit. You could easily kill as many with a car in a crowded intersection. And I'm sure no homicide bomber has ever killed more than six people at at a time.


--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Question for gun owners [Re: the spiral]
    #13782504 -

the spiral said:
Prisoner#1 said:
let's look at the
columnbine shooting, the VA Tech shootings and the dozens of others that
have happened over the years, how many of those victims were armed?



The two kids at columbine and the VA tech guy (and the guy who shot up the congresswoman the other day) would never have been able to rack up the incredible number of casualties they did without firearms.  I find those awful events to beg the more fundamental question, "why the heck was it so easy for those psychopaths to obtain firearms, and thus the ability to murder dozens of people in mere moments?" more strongly than the more tangential question "what if one of their potential victims was armed?" 






you really think that's the case?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osaka_school_massacre
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akihabara_massacre

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Question for gun owners [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #13782505 -

I'm not arguing in favor of gun control or making guns illegal (though the 31-bullet clip does seem kind of unnecessary), and you're right about my massacre scenario - I'm interested in engaging in a thought experiment, not advocating for one particular point of view or another.  I'm quite glad that no examples of chain-reaction crowd self-massacre by gun come to mind, and that the scenario is a purely hypothetical one! 

Edited by the spiral (01/13/11 07:29 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Question for gun owners [Re: the spiral]
    #13782519 -

the spiral said:
I'm not arguing in favor of gun control or making guns illegal (though the 31-bullet clip does seem kind of unnecessary)




why blame the weapon when it's the person weilding it, not a single one of
the guns I or millions of other americans own have ever been used to kill
anyone either in self defense or offense, I dont blame the hammer or the
nail when I hit my thumb

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Question for gun owners [Re: the spiral]
    #13782523 -

the spiral said:
I'm not arguing in favor of gun control or making guns illegal (though the 31-bullet clip does seem kind of unnecessary), and you're right about my massacre scenario - I'm interested in engaging in a thought experiment, not advocating for one particular point of view or another.



8 killed by car.

16 killed on a bus.

299 killed with a bomb.

2996 killed by planes.


--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Question for gun owners [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #13782563 -

Prisoner#1 said:
the spiral said:
I'm not arguing in favor of gun control or making guns illegal (though the 31-bullet clip does seem kind of unnecessary)




why blame the weapon when it's the person weilding it, not a single one of
the guns I or millions of other americans own have ever been used to kill
anyone either in self defense or offense, I dont blame the hammer or the
nail when I hit my thumb



It's the person wielding the weapon AND the weapon.  Without his gun(s), a would-be mass murderer would practically be rendered impotent, and without the person, the gun is perfectly harmless.  Guns are what make the mass-murderer able to become a mass-murderer; besides ordnance like bombs, there's simply no other way for one person to kill so many other people in such a short time.

This is why I imagine many people  - as you say - "blame the gun," which I agree is silly. That said, it's also silly to ignore that guns allow some people to do horrible things that they would otherwise be simple incapable of doing.  And this is why I try to remain politically agnostic on the issue of gun regulation.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Question for gun owners [Re: the spiral]
    #13782588 -

the spiral said:
Without his gun(s), a would-be mass murderer would practically be rendered impotent, and without the person, the gun is perfectly harmless.  Guns are what make the mass-murderer able to become a mass-murderer; besides ordnance like bombs, there's simply no other way for one person to kill so many other people in such a short time.




8 killed by car.

16 killed on a bus.

299 killed with a bomb.

2996 killed by planes.


--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 |  [ show all ]


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Guns and shrooms...fun with projectiles oDin 1,701 11 09/25/20 09:07 PM
by ToTheSummit
* The Land Of The Free (A question for Americans) Jackal 3,185 19 08/08/03 07:54 PM
by PDU
* The Smoking Gun Hashbury 918 2 11/14/02 01:28 AM
by Papaver
* I'm tripping right now: Naked Gun vs. Die Hard?!? TonyMontana 1,158 2 11/14/02 03:30 AM
by TonyMontana
* -A rather pressing question-
( 1 2 all )
igore 4,181 21 07/31/03 09:19 PM
by Fungushungry
* a few questions about the family :) Vulture 2,216 10 09/01/03 09:47 PM
by Vulture
* question...
( 1 2 all )
ZenBhikku 4,596 22 08/22/03 12:16 AM
by ThEGrEaTBeLoW
* question about donating blood at work swm 2,037 16 07/21/03 04:58 PM
by GernBlanston

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Entire Staff
7,408 topic views. 5 members, 20 guests and 184 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.032 seconds spending 0.009 seconds on 16 queries.