Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 |  [ show all ]
Recommend me some good books
    #13651162 -

I'm going out here in a couple hours to pick up some new reading. I usually like fantasy style stuff (George R.R. Martin etc.). But I'm open to anything so long as it's quality. Also if it has anything to do with music I will guaranteed like it :awesomenod:

Any suggestions?

Edited by CarnivalBarker (12/18/10 10:52 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Recommend me some good books [Re: CarnivalBarker]
    #13651167 -

Duma key.


--------------------

~^*>~.Life is the hyphen between matter and spirit.~^*>~

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Recommend me some good books [Re: Eshu]
    #13651188 -

A Canticle for Leibowitz

Dune.

Dark elf trilogy/ crystal shard trilogy.

The bible (zine)

Phillip Pullman his dark martial is :awesomenod:

Ive tired to get into the foundation series but after 5 books I sorta fell out of it.

Dark tower series by Stephen king is :thumbup:

Not a fan of C.J. Lewis at all I've tired so many of his books just cant get into them


--------------------
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.


Edited by trekie (12/18/10 03:11 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Recommend me some good books [Re: trekie]
    #13651202 -

If you are into rock music and rock and roll lifestyle I recommend reading Slash's autobiography. It is well written and a very fun read, it got me hooked for some weeks.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Recommend me some good books [Re: Horsewithnoname]
    #13651218 -

Dan Simmons - Hyperion

If you like Fantasy/Sci-Fi you will love this book. Really awesome stuff I'm about halfway through the series (4 book).


--------------------
With Allure I Look to the Sky With Awakened Eyes

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Recommend me some good books [Re: Rocker232]
    #13651240 -

Look up Raymond E. Feist, my wife loved his books.
I will caution though, it is a 20 book series. I think some books are contained but it is really a series you want to read in order.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Recommend me some good books [Re: 4runner]
    #13651243 -

wheres waldo?


--------------------
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“The people who were trying to make this world worse are not taking the day off.
Why should I?” - Bob Marley

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Recommend me some good books [Re: CarnivalBarker]
    #13651278 -

At the Mountains of Madness - H.P. Lovecraft
I loved it.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Recommend me some good books [Re: derpif]
    #13651288 -

derpif said:
At the Mountains of Madness - H.P. Lovecraft
I loved it.



I just wiki'd that and found out Guillermo Del Toro is making a movie out of it.

Good suggestions guys, keep 'em coming :thumbup:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Recommend me some good books [Re: CarnivalBarker]
    #13651317 -

CarnivalBarker said:
I just wiki'd that and found out Guillermo Del Toro is making a movie out of it.

Good suggestions guys, keep 'em coming :thumbup:



Oh my, that could be epic.
But you should consider reading the book if you find the plot summary on wiki interesting.
I would send you my copy but it's in German.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Recommend me some good books [Re: derpif]
    #13651338 -

Confederacy of Dunces
House of Leaves
The Road

All amazing!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Recommend me some good books [Re: CarnivalBarker]
    #13651345 -

I like to hit up used bookstores for old biographies and history books from before the 20th century. You can usually pick 'em up for a few dollars a piece and they always make for an interesting read.


--------------------
The Prophecy!

Learn To Code

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Recommend me some good books [Re: CarnivalBarker]
    #13651386 -

carlos castaneda


i am currently reading "a seperate reality"...

have already read "the eagles gift" and "the fire from within"...


really cool books.


--------------------
What Would Dexter Do?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Recommend me some good books [Re: usefulidiot13]
    #13651473 -

THe doors of perception- Aldous Huxley


--------------------


Google: Pippa Bacca

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Recommend me some good books [Re: usefulidiot13]
    #13651628 -

If you like history, Stephen King's 'The Dark Tower' series is very well regarded.

Basically anything by King is really good. I'm going to go look at my books and see if there are any good ones that I forgot to mention.


--------------------
The Essential Works of Art

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Recommend me some good books [Re: Wiseman13]
    #13651730 -

Phillip K. Dick - Flow My Tears the Policeman Said

Really trippy, dark, futuristic scifi.


--------------------
"Yeah, he's a professor...... OF BEING A DOG!"

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Recommend me some good books [Re: DrMambo]
    #13651757 -

Every "recommend a book" thread ends up like a hot topic reading list. Y'all need to expand your motherfucking horizons and read some new books.:grin:

:themoreyouknow:


--------------------
The Prophecy!

Learn To Code

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Recommend me some good books [Re: blewmeanie]
    #13652020 -

I wound up getting a biography on Jim Morrison  :jimmorrison:

Yo, blewmeanie, why not recommend a few horizon expanding books, and maybe someone will check them out?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Recommend me some good books [Re: CarnivalBarker]
    #13652144 -

Yo CarnivalBarker, I have in the hundreds of other threads on this same topic: No one ever does.:lol:

Here are a few.

The Key to Solomon's Key: Secrets of Magic and Masonry by Lon Milo Duquette

The Frontiersmen by Allen W. Eckert <<I read the shit out of this book in 9th grad.:lol:

bulfinch's mythology by Thomas Bulfinch

Basic American Ideals published by the supreme council 33 degree <<Its a collection of essays and biographies, along with the declaration of independence and constitution, and it's easily one of my favorite, and most reread books. It's probably pretty hard...or next to impossible to find a copy of it, but I'm sure there are other similar titles out there.

Walden by Henry David motherfucking Thoreau :lol:

The Last Alchemist: Count Cagliostro, Master of Magic in the Age of Reason by Iain Mccalman

From These Beginnings: A Biographical Approach to American History by Roderick Nash

The Botany of Desire: A Plant's-Eye View of the World by Michael Pollan

The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho

The Screwtape Letters C.S. Lewis....The Great divorce is also really good

The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand

and so on.....



--------------------
The Prophecy!

Learn To Code

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Recommend me some good books [Re: blewmeanie]
    #13652167 -

here's my list, might be some already mentioned:

Doors of Perception, Island, Heaven and Hell, Brave New World, Flash Backs, The Psychedelic Experience, The Polotics of Ecstasy, Design for Dying, DMT: The Spirit Molecule, Inner Paths to Outter Space, Plants of The Gods, LSD~ My Problem Child, Insite Outlook, Sacred Mirrors, Transfigurations, Zig Zag Zen, Food of The Gods, True Hallucinations, The Archaic Revival, The Invisable Landscape, The Sacred Mushroom Seeker, History Ends in Green, Psychedelics Encyclopedia, Magic Mushrooms, Heavenly Highs, Whole Earth Catalog, The Cosmic Serpent, and Go Ask Alice.


:hypnotic:


--------------------
EVERYTHING EVENTUALLY BECOMES A DESERT


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 |  [ show all ]

Shop: Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Help a literary phobic (Recommend Books) StrandedVoyager 1,128 9 05/01/08 02:16 PM
by 5150
* Very cool Bill Hicks biography Adamist 1,914 6 05/14/05 04:48 PM
by batou
* Dark Star- an oral biography of Jerry Garcia Phishgrrl 1,617 6 11/18/04 08:21 PM
by Ripple
* hp lovecraft
( 1 2 all )
nightkrawler 3,712 24 01/16/07 02:57 PM
by Annapurna1
* What books are on YOUR bookshelf?..............
( 1 2 all )
Bullfrog1 3,451 21 04/10/03 09:04 AM
by Squid
* Give a short book promo and excerpt enotake2 1,265 7 12/19/03 06:35 PM
by djfrog
* The best book you've ever read?
( 1 2 3 4 5 all )
13eetleJuice 9,932 84 04/11/17 01:35 AM
by Big Worm
* What are your favorite books??
( 1 2 3 all )
MOTH 6,930 44 03/19/04 03:41 PM
by SkorpivoMusterion

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Entire Staff
1,094 topic views. 2 members, 25 guests and 147 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.035 seconds spending 0.01 seconds on 18 queries.