Home | Community | Message Board

Myco Supply
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Science and Technology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineRaadt
nicht

Loc: azurescending
keyed encryption?
    #1362228 - 03/10/03 08:19 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Does anyone know of an encryption program (preferrably free), for text - that allows you to type in a code - say i wanted mine to be SHROOMZ - and that sets the encryption for the text to be converted using that algorhythm? so if anyone were to type in that word into the encryption key and it would decrypt - whereas anything else, it wouldn't?

hopefully I explained that correctly..

if anyone knows of a place I might be able to get a program like this, I would be much obliged.

--------------------
Raadt

-- The information I provide is only information from readings, growing of gourmet mushrooms, and second hand stories--

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinewindex
old hand
Re: keyed encryption? [Re: Raadt]
    #1362255 - 03/10/03 08:28 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

http://www.simtel.net/pub/pd/60878.shtml

This program will encrypt and decrypt files.

http://www.simtel.net/pub/pd/9412.html

This one will encrypt a file using another file as a key.

http://directory.google.com/Top/Computers/Software/Shareware/Windows/Utilities/Security/Encryption/

A bunch of sites....

InvisibleLanaM
Head Banana
Female

Loc: www.MycoSupply.com
    #1362258 - 03/10/03 08:30 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Yes, if I'm understanding you correctly.  What you call a "code" would actually be whats called your "paraphrase". 

Try the world reknowned PGP software, free and very good.

http://web.mit.edu/network/pgp.html

There's a commerical version of this which is nice too.  It enables you to hide an entire drive on your computer.  The novell operating system can do this, but most folks fun Windoze :smile: 

Have fun

Lana

--------------------
Myco Supply - Distributors of Mycological Products
http://www.MycoSupply.com

The Premiere Source for Mushroom Growing Supplies.
Visit us online or call us toll free

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: keyed encryption? [Re: Lana]
    #1362955 - 03/10/03 01:06 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

PGP is a good recommendation. Remember that the feds are now inserting hardware intercepts between the keyboard and the computer to record keystrokes allowing them to sniff your passphrase rather than trying to crack the encryption. Also, PGP and similiar types of encryption are based on an assuption that large numbers are difficult to factor. This has not been proven, but so far nobody has published a solution to the problem either.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

OfflineRaadt
nicht

Loc: azurescending
Re: keyed encryption? [Re: Seuss]
    #1367967 - 03/12/03 05:43 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

thanks all - much obliged.

--------------------
Raadt

-- The information I provide is only information from readings, growing of gourmet mushrooms, and second hand stories--

Offlinesocratesmind
old hand

Loc: in your house :)
    #1368139 - 03/12/03 07:12 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

well here's just a lil more info pushing the envelope. PGP is great also 3DES just make sure your key size is LARGE. thats the name of the game. i'd say 1024bit or higher would be plenty.  instead of law enforcement using keystroke recorders they can also seemingly capture emi emissions from your computer and rebuild your computer screen remotely (project tempest). unless your computer is shieleded not to expose it's EMI goodies.  and also in response to not been proven to find prime numbers there is a heavily debated issue on the quantum computer. it will make quick work of any large encryption key with ease. the basis is that an atom in superposition or something can be in 2 different states at the same time. engineers and others are banking on this fact they can use this phenomenon to guess a 0 and a 1 at the same time when trying to figure out a key for encryption.  do they already have it? we don't know. will they have it soon? probably then computing will be revolutinized and there will be some type of quantum encryption but until then large keys :laugh:

--------------------
Prohibition will work great injury to the cause of temperance. It is a species of intemperance within itself, for it goes beyond the bounds of reason in that it attempts to control a man's appetite by legislation, and makes a crime out of things that are not crimes. A Prohibition law strikes a blow at the very principles upon which our government was founded.
- Abraham Lincoln: Speech in the Illinois House of Representatives, Dec 18, 1840.

Invisibledaussaulit
Forgetful

Loc: Earth
Re: keyed encryption? [Re: Seuss]
    #1372996 - 03/13/03 02:43 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Remember that the feds are now inserting hardware intercepts between the keyboard and the computer to record keystrokes allowing them to sniff your passphrase rather than trying to crack the encryption.

Like manufacturers are adding it in for the fbi, or the fbi actually connecting a device between your computer and your keyboard? Also I don't think its possible if you have a non-usb keyboard. Good thing my keyboard is ps/2.

Offlinesocratesmind
old hand

Re: keyed encryption? [Re: daussaulit]
    #1373977 - 03/13/03 09:59 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

i believe that fed inserting thing is just alot of heresay so i wouldn't pay it no mind :/

--------------------
Prohibition will work great injury to the cause of temperance. It is a species of intemperance within itself, for it goes beyond the bounds of reason in that it attempts to control a man's appetite by legislation, and makes a crime out of things that are not crimes. A Prohibition law strikes a blow at the very principles upon which our government was founded.
- Abraham Lincoln: Speech in the Illinois House of Representatives, Dec 18, 1840.

InvisibleLanaM
Head Banana
Female

Re: keyed encryption? [Re: socratesmind]
    #1374616 - 03/14/03 05:12 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

The feds?  They use wireless connections.  Small chips that can record and transmit.  They just add some sticky adhesive and put it underneath your keyboard:)

As for, " believe that fed inserting thing is just alot of heresay so i wouldn't pay it no mind :/ "

Maybe we're thinking of two different thing than the one in this link - http://keystroke-loggers.staticusers.net/hardware-keykatcher/

Only $76.00 :smile:

Lana

--------------------

Invisibledaussaulit
Forgetful

Loc: Earth
Re: keyed encryption? [Re: Lana]
    #1375679 - 03/14/03 11:16 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

just stick it under the keyboard? how does that work?
That keykatcher doesn't really worry me. I just look up and I can clearly see if there is some superflous device between my mobo and my ps/2 connection.

*looks under keyboard* whew, I guess I'm safe for now.

InvisibleLanaM
Head Banana
Female

Re: keyed encryption? [Re: daussaulit]
    #1376273 - 03/14/03 02:53 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Maybe I was unclear. That keykatcher is just a simple piece of hardware that collect keystrokes.

There are companies the deal mainly if not strictly with law enforcement agencies. You need to have proper permits to buy from them, these places have things that are unreal. How they work, I don't know.

Here's a good story, Mobster nailed by FBI keystroke logger pleads guilty

http://www.idg.net/idgns/2002/03/01/MobsterNailedByFBIKeystrokeLogger.shtml

Lana

--------------------

InvisibleAlien
Galactic Shaman

Loc: Jupiter's Moon
Post deleted by Administrator [Re: Lana]
    #1376449 - 03/14/03 04:51 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

--------------------
-Alien :cool:

Alien Substrate Instructional:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KG82xLzrNg8

Offlinesocratesmind
old hand

Re: keyed encryption? [Re: Alien]
    #1378078 - 03/15/03 11:48 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

i'm just saying its getting to the point where most surveillance can be done remotely. nobody really sneaks into an apt. or house and places a hard 'bug' mostly devices like this are probably being used but i wouldn't rule that out. i mean to gain entry into the house would be breaking and entering i'd think.

http://www.eskimo.com/~joelm/tempest.html

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Science and Technology