Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Jupiter is here! I would kill for a telescope this week.
    #13205481 -

Jupiter is approaching Earth this month (until the 20th, when it will be at its brightest).

This is the closest it has been since 1963, and will remain the closest until 2022! I don't have a telescope/binoculars, but I am going to try to find some.


--------------------
"Tears themselves interest me greatly -- but not the tears of melancholy hindsight and existential despair;
rather the tears of awe you experience when the realization of an ideal suddenly appears before your very eyes or thunders inside your mind;
these tears interest me." - Philip Hallie

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Jupiter is here! I would kill for a telescope this week. [Re: catalyst]
    #13205487 -

Most collages have an observatory, and they always do public viewings for these kind of things.


--------------------
The Prophecy!

Learn To Code

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Jupiter is here! I would kill for a telescope this week. [Re: blewmeanie]
    #13205514 -

blewmeanie said:
Most collages have an observatory, and they always do public viewings for these kind of things.



Being a student, I will definitely check in on this.

-Edit- Awesome, they do! I have never seen a planet this close before, so I am extremely excited :smile:


--------------------
"Tears themselves interest me greatly -- but not the tears of melancholy hindsight and existential despair;
rather the tears of awe you experience when the realization of an ideal suddenly appears before your very eyes or thunders inside your mind;
these tears interest me." - Philip Hallie

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Jupiter is here! I would kill for a telescope this week. [Re: catalyst]
    #13205536 -

So what the fuck is the other bright as "star" at night?? Venus?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Jupiter is here! I would kill for a telescope this week. [Re: DeadHearts]
    #13205547 -

Yea.  Venus is usually the 3rd brightest thing in the sky when it is out.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Jupiter is here! I would kill for a telescope this week. [Re: Tangerines]
    #13205557 -

Tangerines said:
Yea.  Venus is usually the 3rd brightest thing in the sky when it is out.



No this thing is the brightest in the sky. Its been out for a while and I do
not remember seeing a star or planet being this bright ever.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Jupiter is here! I would kill for a telescope this week. [Re: DeadHearts]
    #13205585 -

I meant brightest after the sun and moon...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Jupiter is here! I would kill for a telescope this week. [Re: blewmeanie]
    #13205657 -

Tangerines said:
I meant brightest after the sun and moon...



ahh. Still dont remember seeing it much at all. Like ever since i moved into
this apartment last year. weird.

blewmeanie said:
Most collages have an observatory, and they always do public viewings for these kind of things.



And damn good bit of information. Gona look into it.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Jupiter is here! I would kill for a telescope this week. [Re: DeadHearts]
    #13205735 -

You're probably seeing Jupiter. Definatley not Venus right now. You just need to check out a current skymap. Or try  Stellarium


--------------------
"We are not human beings going through a temporary spiritual experience, we are spiritual beings going through a temporary human experience."

My level 5 trip report
...After this it became clear to me that, behind the thin veil of the Human ego, all Reality, and this whole life, is a never ending mystical experience. The Universe is but a cosmic being exploring itself, learning about itself and enjoying its own existence through all creatures, and all things, in an infinite dance of Life, and like a fractal tendril you are a minute part of it, and you are All of it...


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Jupiter is here! I would kill for a telescope this week. [Re: thelegend0210]
    #13205744 -

Oh, and I looked at Jupiter a few weeks ago through the telescope I bought in the spring, so damn cool, almost as good as looking at Saturn.


--------------------
"We are not human beings going through a temporary spiritual experience, we are spiritual beings going through a temporary human experience."

My level 5 trip report
...After this it became clear to me that, behind the thin veil of the Human ego, all Reality, and this whole life, is a never ending mystical experience. The Universe is but a cosmic being exploring itself, learning about itself and enjoying its own existence through all creatures, and all things, in an infinite dance of Life, and like a fractal tendril you are a minute part of it, and you are All of it...


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Jupiter is here! I would kill for a telescope this week. [Re: thelegend0210]
    #13205746 -

thelegend0210 said:
You're probably seeing Jupiter. Definatley not Venus right now. You just need to check out a current skymap. Or try this Stellarium



Well thats what I thought. The sky map on my girls phone say its Jupiter but I
wasnt sure about it. Its not always accurate. But its sooooo fucking bright!.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Jupiter is here! I would kill for a telescope this week. [Re: thelegend0210]
    #13205799 -

thelegend0210 said:
Oh, and I looked at Jupiter a few weeks ago through the telescope I bought in the spring, so damn cool, almost as good as looking at Saturn.



What telescope do you have? I know very little about them, but I would love to invest in one at some point.


--------------------
"Tears themselves interest me greatly -- but not the tears of melancholy hindsight and existential despair;
rather the tears of awe you experience when the realization of an ideal suddenly appears before your very eyes or thunders inside your mind;
these tears interest me." - Philip Hallie

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Jupiter is here! I would kill for a telescope this week. [Re: catalyst]
    #13205900 -

I ordered an Orion StarBlast 6

It's a good scope for beginners, I bought it for the portablility, if you go 8" and up it starts getting cumbersome to transport.

Whatever you do, do not buy a department store telescope, they are called trash scopes for a reason.

There's lots of buying guides online. Here is one I just found through Google.
Buying a telescope

And this book had some great tips for buying as well.


--------------------
"We are not human beings going through a temporary spiritual experience, we are spiritual beings going through a temporary human experience."

My level 5 trip report
...After this it became clear to me that, behind the thin veil of the Human ego, all Reality, and this whole life, is a never ending mystical experience. The Universe is but a cosmic being exploring itself, learning about itself and enjoying its own existence through all creatures, and all things, in an infinite dance of Life, and like a fractal tendril you are a minute part of it, and you are All of it...


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Jupiter is here! I would kill for a telescope this week. [Re: thelegend0210]
    #13206399 -

thelegend0210 said:
You're probably seeing Jupiter. Definatley not Venus right now. You just need to check out a current skymap. Or try  Stellarium



Cool little program. Have you used Celestia before? There are a ton of high res textures you can download for planets, stars, etc...really good stuff.


--------------------
"Tears themselves interest me greatly -- but not the tears of melancholy hindsight and existential despair;
rather the tears of awe you experience when the realization of an ideal suddenly appears before your very eyes or thunders inside your mind;
these tears interest me." - Philip Hallie

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Jupiter is here! I would kill for a telescope this week. [Re: catalyst]
    #13206824 -

Yeah, tried it once, but it crashed my computer. lol


--------------------
"We are not human beings going through a temporary spiritual experience, we are spiritual beings going through a temporary human experience."

My level 5 trip report
...After this it became clear to me that, behind the thin veil of the Human ego, all Reality, and this whole life, is a never ending mystical experience. The Universe is but a cosmic being exploring itself, learning about itself and enjoying its own existence through all creatures, and all things, in an infinite dance of Life, and like a fractal tendril you are a minute part of it, and you are All of it...


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Telescopes/. JaRRn 1,176 10 02/14/05 07:10 AM
by niteowl
* Stellarium - planetarium software Liquid_Dimension 477 3 09/10/09 06:46 AM
by koraks
* 15!!!!!! Children Killed by US Gov. in horrible travesty Spiffy 2,307 6 12/07/03 11:16 PM
by Anonymous
* Windoze killed my hard drive DreaMaTrix 3,134 15 10/06/02 06:57 PM
by ShroominSpradl
* Stupid US customs killed my scale Annom 1,486 7 06/17/04 02:47 AM
by stefan
* I know what killed Jerry. Baby_Hitler 594 4 05/21/04 10:39 PM
by iloveraving
* What a week! Jared 934 5 04/21/03 09:15 PM
by YouEnjoyMyself
* Friendly Dog Prevents Killing Spree? trendalM 889 1 06/25/04 09:58 PM
by Redstorm

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Entire Staff
990 topic views. 5 members, 18 guests and 103 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.031 seconds spending 0.008 seconds on 16 queries.