Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Pan Cyan Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineincubaby_421
half naked andfull witted
 User Gallery

Loc: the center of the univers...
Northern Ohio Mushroom Hunters
    #3008780 - 08/16/04 11:46 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

hey all i just wanted to start a place for people from ohio to share experience or get and give advice about hunting and eating here... my only question is about these big ass red mushrooms that are everywhere, they are not amanitas... and nearly impossible to find on the net, any suggestions that i could further research would be greatly appreciated. Peace, love, and life.

--------------------
"yet the more i dig, the more i consume, the more i unfold... the less protected i feel.
i am the spit on the hair of the son of an electron, swimming around the nucleus of a cell inside the sperm of a killer bee, and my purpose is as nebulous as why weve been bestowed with the capacity to give a shit" Brandon Boyd

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleshroomydan
exshroomerite
 User Gallery

Loc: In the woods
Re: Northern Ohio Mushroom Hunters [Re: incubaby_421]
    #3010874 - 08/16/04 09:12 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

The big red ones are more that likely Russulas. There are many red caped Russulas, and they are the must common red mushrooms in Ohio; I find them everytime I go hunting. Some are reported as edible but most are poisonous.

Another posibility is some species of bolete. I fond some huge red boletes on a trail along a lake near Dayton last weekend. Search recent posts for Ohio to see the latest action hear.

Peace

OfflineJAMIEK
Re: Northern Ohio Mushroom Hunters [Re: shroomydan]
    #3183803 - 09/26/04 08:16 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Lima Ohio here

OfflineJoeyBond
 User Gallery

Re: Northern Ohio Mushroom Hunters [Re: JAMIEK]
    #3184948 - 09/27/04 01:21 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

north of columbus here
has any one here actually found anything yet?

Offlineballzee
Newbie orNotNewbie
Loc: NW Ohio
Re: Northern Ohio Mushroom Hunters [Re: JoeyBond]
    #3406964 - 11/25/04 01:26 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

PortClinton Area here.

--------------------
:gangsta: Me with my Dewrag on.
:jesus: Greatest Hoax ever.
:mushroomgrow::mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroomgrow:

InvisibleSuper_Blunt
Candyman
 User Gallery

Re: Northern Ohio Mushroom Hunters [Re: ballzee]
    #3406971 - 11/25/04 01:28 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

ohio rupruzint  :captain:

--------------------

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: looking for zeebras, n. c...
Trusted Identifier
Re: Northern Ohio Mushroom Hunters [Re: shroomydan]
    #3412894 - 11/26/04 03:52 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

when i started hunting mushrooms i was living in Ohio and those russulas threw me off a lot [i had been looking long for A. muscaria var. muscaria before i got wise]. i think i trudged around a certain state park for two seasons before i realized that i had been ignoring some of the most beautiful fungi flora the state had to offer.

--------------------

Attn PWN hunters: If you should come across a bluing Psilocybe matching P. pellicolusa please smell it.
If you detect a scent reminiscent of Anethole (anise) please preserve a specimen or two for study and please PM me.

Offlineballzee
Newbie orNotNewbie
Re: Northern Ohio Mushroom Hunters [Re: canid]
    #3422664 - 11/29/04 10:49 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Anyone heard of "red devils":devil:? I will take a pic and post when I have them for proper ID.

Anyone near Toledo,Cleveland or between that would like to chat and Educate?

--------------------

Invisibletwonewtz
lot lizzard

Loc: middle of the road
    #3425405 - 11/29/04 09:21 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Kewl- I was just going to start a thread like this including a list of some of the notable Ohio shrooms I've found this year (with many, many thanks going to The Shroomery in my endeavors).

DEER MUSHROOM (Pluteus cervinus): one lone specimen with beautiful pink gills. (late July)

CHICKEN-OF-THE-WOODS (Laetiporus sp.): couldn't identify to species. Smelled really good, big and meaty, but I didn't eat it- too old.(early August)

WOOD EAR (Auricularia sp.): growing on rotten log. found during a dry spell- a little shriveled, but interesting. (early August)

LAWN MOWER'S MUSHROOM (Panaeolus foenisecii): found hundreds of these little buggers on a freshly laid sod lawn in downtown Cincinnati. Thought they may be subbs, but the stems were not twisted. (very hot day in August)

REISHI (Ganoderma sp.): I was so blessed to have found this organism. I was waiting for a metro bus when under the bench I spied a Reishi growing from an exposed tree root. I was dumbfounded. Reishi- in downtown Cincinnati? As big as my hand? YES! The spectacular browns, reds, and yellows, the deep resonating waxiness- amazing. I thanked God and shed a tear when I harvested it. (late August)

NUMEROUS TURKEY TAILS, CORALS, AND DEAD MAN'S FINGERS (early September)

ARTIST'S CONCH (Ganoderma applanatum): numerous, some as big as 3 feet across. Even found one growing entirely around a tree branch. Very wise.

SLIPPERY JACK BOLETE (Suillus brevipes): I was so happy to find my first boletes that I identified these to species. Found 10 feet from the door at my place of employment two days after a heavy fall rain. Almost didn't see them in the pine needles because of their brown, slimy caps. Crazy yellow pores. Read they were edible, but I passed. (mid September)

Pholiota sp. : found three scaly capped orange mushrooms growing from the side of a tree. Very difficult to identify to species. Very fibrous, almost woody stem. (early November)

Russula sp. : hundreds of black capped Russulas found growing under some pines at a park. Couldn't identify to species, but they didn't bruise. Stark white gills and stems. Stems fractured into many pieces when handled. (late November)

OYSTER MUSHROOM (Pleurotus ostreatus): I was so happy to find two trees (one at my job) that had ~10 lbs of beautiful oysters on them. Light brown caps, pure white gills and stems. It's getting down to freezing at night around here so I harvested the keepers. Thick and meaty and yummy. (late November)

I just wanted to add that all of these were found in the Cincinnati metro area. And I wanted to thank The Shroomery again for giving me the shroom bug!! Happy hunting.  :thanx:

--------------------
absolutely statistically

Edited by twonewtz (11/30/04 07:35 PM)

Invisiblepsiclops
# 1
 User Gallery

Loc: PNW
Re: Northern Ohio Mushroom Hunters [Re: twonewtz]
    #3427776 - 11/30/04 12:56 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

good post twonewtz

Offlineballzee
Newbie orNotNewbie
Re: Northern Ohio Mushroom Hunters [Re: psiclops]
    #3432221 - 12/01/04 10:25 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Good post, Hope one day I can make a list of active shrooms I have found/grown here in Ohio.

--------------------

Offlinejack.hurricane87
Stranger
 User Gallery

#13123737 - 08/30/10 12:49 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

hey hey port clinton! i'm in sandusky. this is an old thread-- are you still around here?

InvisibleGerman Kahuna
Facepalmer of Stoopid
Male User Gallery

Loc: On a Chemical Vacation
Re: Northern Ohio Mushroom Hunters [Re: incubaby_421]
    #13123761 - 08/30/10 12:54 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

This thread has been closed.

Reason:
Quote:

ballzee: Last seen: 5 years, 6 months

And yes, this IS an old moldy thread.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Pan Cyan Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck