Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds Zamnesia
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

MagicBag.co Shop: Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Running Long Distances, your tips, my tips, doin' thangs
    #13075816 -

I started running at the beginning of this summer, never was a runner and could only run a mile without dropping dead at the finish line.

Now, 3 months later, I have SLOWLY been building myself up to further distances but most recently have noticed a large gain in stamina and endurance through sprinting.  I've been forcing myself to run 3.5 miles of hilly terrain near my house(more like run till I conk out, walk until I can run again and repeat.)

Anyway, sprinting has I think done the most for my running letting me run further and be more efficient in breathing, I just got back tonight and my run was less painful, I ran like 70% of the way without stopping and can say, I'm fuckin proud of myself.

I started doing leg presses, other leg strengthening exercises, and stopped smoking which has been a pretty big help, noticing a difference in my chest and shit(who would have though!?)

O, and I found this steep ass hill and have been racing up that lowering my time and shit.




what tips do you have?

running has gone from a tedious hated exercise to something I've actually grown pretty fond of.  Plus, if anything I can run from the popo faster.



























Edited by PreparationH (08/19/10 10:37 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Running Long Distances, your tips, my tips, doin' thangs [Re: PreparationH]
    #13075858 -

Good job, that shit is awesome.

I used to run up to 12 miles before I got injured. I used to get injured a lot. Now I'm doing 3.5 miles of hilly terrain :smile: If you're in portland lets go for a run!


Anyway, the basic thing is that your muscles improve way faster then your ligaments and bones. So that means you can run faster than you should, as you improve. If you keep running at close to what feels like your max, you will probably get ligament or bone problems. Or bad shin splints or sciatic nerve problems.

Well thats the kind of shit that happened to me. Especially to me because I love intensity. I have to force myself to only run every other day to make sure I don't get injured.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Running Long Distances, your tips, my tips, doin' thangs [Re: Freedom]
    #13075871 -

You sound like your doing everything about right...you might want to look into ankle weights and or a weight vest. I trained with that and can now run/sprint faster than ever. If you ever need help feel free to PM me I know a fair share about body building from personal experience.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Running Long Distances, your tips, my tips, doin' thangs [Re: PreparationH]
    #13075882 -

fast music definitely helps

form is also important once you start going long distances. do you get shin splints much?

i need to cut back on the smoking too. i went yesterday and got 3 in but i had to walk for a sec between each mile. no bueno

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Running Long Distances, your tips, my tips, doin' thangs [Re: wakenbake]
    #13075887 -

wakenbake said:
You sound like your doing everything about right...you might want to look into ankle weights and or a weight vest. I trained with that and can now run/sprint faster than ever. If you ever need help feel free to PM me I know a fair share about body building from personal experience.



the weight vest I hear is good but I've heard the ankle thangs are bad for your ankle joints.  I always lifted weights and rode bmx but surprisingly, I can ride 20 miles striahgt on a bmx bike at a high pace but it didn't seem to help me at all with running distances.  Also, I'm going out tomorrow to buy running shoes, I've been running in timberland boots and nike dunks :shrug:

I was thinking just get some random new balance running shoe or nike or some shit, any recommendations?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Running Long Distances, your tips, my tips, doin' thangs [Re: PreparationH]
    #13075902 -

I didn't know what a shin splint was so I looked it up:
painful inflammation of the muscles around the shins; frequent among runners


I wouldn't say the muscle around my shin is any more painful than say a bicep after curling so I'm gonna say no, no shin splints

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Running Long Distances, your tips, my tips, doin' thangs [Re: PreparationH]
    #13075904 -

Tips?  Well here is my one MUST about running.  Have very good running shoes.  Don't run in your old converse, don't run in sneakers, tennis shoes, run in quality running shoes.  I cannot stress this enough.  Without good running shoes the first impact of my first step in a run will be utterly painful.  I am a very loyal new balance fan.


After that you really got the rest yourself.  Sprint to increase lung capacity and endurance.  Bring a good mixtape (aka create a playlist that will behoove you to keep up the pace). 


Step 3...  Enjoy those beautiful endorphins. 








p.s.  I don't think at this stage in my life I could enjoy drugs, any drug, marijuana, shrooms w/e if I wasn't getting my endorphins in.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Running Long Distances, your tips, my tips, doin' thangs [Re: PreparationH]
    #13075970 -

my advice, your next 3 runs of anything over 2 miles, time yourself, cheap
stop watch is cheap. after that, start improving your pace, if you're
averaging 12min for a 2 mile run improve on that, you have 1 week to drop
the time to 11 minutes, in 3 weeks you need to be at the 10 minute mark
that last 1/4 mile is the most important


stepping up your pace over distance will greatly improve your endurance,
in HS I did a lot of running, my pace was close to the average persons
sprint, I could hold that pace for about 3 miles and for my rest I just
slowed the pace a bit, my fast pace was about 13-14mph, doesnt sound
fast but trust me, it is

last time I was running and the popos were involved it was to catch the
cop that took off with my license, he was astounded that I caught him,
he was moving at about 20mph and had 40yds on me

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Running Long Distances, your tips, my tips, doin' thangs [Re: PreparationH]
    #13075984 -

PreparationH said:
I didn't know what a shin splint was so I looked it up:
painful inflammation of the muscles around the shins; frequent among runners


I wouldn't say the muscle around my shin is any more painful than say a bicep after curling so I'm gonna say no, no shin splints



proper stretching and warm up is the key to avoiding shin splints and
other injury, seriously, stretch every muscle group thoroughly, then
start at a light pace for a few minutes

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Running Long Distances, your tips, my tips, doin' thangs [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #13076125 -

My top speed last time I tried was 13 mph, now I can tell I've been able to push myself faster.

I'll definitely get a stop watch, I was using my phones stop watch but it's annoying setting it and holding a cell phone while I ran up this hill.  Me full sprinting up this hill in the beginning of summer I was doing it at 24 seconds(not very big but steep, rocks/roots everywhere so it's ankle rolling heaven) and my quickest so far is 20.03

:cool:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Running Long Distances, your tips, my tips, doin' thangs [Re: PreparationH]
    #13076153 -

O, the only thing that annoys the fuckin hell out of me here in my city, pretty much 50% chance of when I'm running for some twat to try and yell something witty at me.

When I ran like a month ago I was running down a long road and some korean kid was just yelling "RUUUNNNNNN, RUUUNNNNN, RUUUNNNNNN!" and then they hit a stop light, I was like DUDE WTF?! You think you'r funny man? step outta the car.  They screeched away.

Fast forward about 2 weeks ago, I'm partying at my friends house for his friends 21st.  The fucker is there, so I approach him and go YO DUDE REMEMBER ME(acting all pissed off) and he goes.... no... wait, were you that guy who approached our suv when I yelled run at you?

I was like Yea asshole.  Then we drank beers and had fun all night.

But damn that shit annoys me but he apologized and was just havin fun with his friends, I'm fine with that :shrug:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Running Long Distances, your tips, my tips, doin' thangs [Re: PreparationH]
    #13076253 -

I used to run cross-country in High School. We ran 5-6 days a week doing usually 5 to 7 miles.
As mentioned, it's very important to stretch calves, hams, thighs, gluts, (and shins, groin).
Good shoes are a must if you are serious about jogging. I prefer Asics, however I also like New Balance and Brooks.
I like to start out with a light jog, moderate pace, and then pick up the pace once I'm feeling limber and dialed in.
Try not to stop running. Slow down if you have to, but don't stop.
Ever see those guys at the stop lights jogging in place while they wait?
There is a reason for that. Don't stop running.
Up tempo music is a godsend for exercise enthusiasts. I almost always listen to music on jogs, bike rides, etc. In the cross country days I didn't use headphones, but we did run in groups or partners.
After a couple months of training we could run for 1-2 hours and hold a non-wheezey, non-heavy breathey conversation the whole time.
That said, I haven't jogged in about 2 years and now smoke cigs around the clock.
An hour long jog would kill me. Talking while jogging would kill me. My 16 year old self would kill me in time trials.
But anyway, you've inspired me. I want to get back into jogging now.
So thank you.  :runaway:


--------------------
:thumbup: :thumbdown:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Running Long Distances, your tips, my tips, doin' thangs [Re: Great Scott]
    #13076328 -

PeyoteZen said:
I used to run cross-country in High School. We ran 5-6 days a week doing usually 5 to 7 miles.
As mentioned, it's very important to stretch calves, hams, thighs, gluts, (and shins, groin).
Good shoes are a must if you are serious about jogging. I prefer Asics, however I also like New Balance and Brooks.
I like to start out with a light jog, moderate pace, and then pick up the pace once I'm feeling limber and dialed in.
Try not to stop running. Slow down if you have to, but don't stop.
Ever see those guys at the stop lights jogging in place while they wait?
There is a reason for that. Don't stop running.
Up tempo music is a godsend for exercise enthusiasts. I almost always listen to music on jogs, bike rides, etc. In the cross country days I didn't use headphones, but we did run in groups or partners.
After a couple months of training we could run for 1-2 hours and hold a non-wheezey, non-heavy breathey conversation the whole time.
That said, I haven't jogged in about 2 years and now smoke cigs around the clock.
An hour long jog would kill me. Talking while jogging would kill me. My 16 year old self would kill me in time trials.
But anyway, you've inspired me. I want to get back into jogging now.
So thank you.  :runaway:



no problem, I'll check out the asics tomorrow so thanks, I need new shoes because it's wearing through now in the back so they're gonna just be my beat up shoe for w/e.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Running Long Distances, your tips, my tips, doin' thangs [Re: PreparationH]
    #13076355 -

Shin splints are not fun:thumbdown:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

MagicBag.co Shop: Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* I Dreamt A Black Girl Taught Me To Run Uphill Jackal 2,216 13 11/18/03 01:12 PM
by Anonymous
* Long distance runner Ripple 1,168 7 03/02/05 11:21 PM
by Snape
* Doin' That Rag.... Hooty 364 0 02/22/05 04:48 PM
by Hooty
* Your views / tips / experiences with Bodybuilding..
( 1 2 all )
Mushie_Man 4,910 25 12/31/04 01:39 PM
by Left Nut City
* Dating Tips, Ideas, Suggestions.
( 1 2 3 all )
SkorpivoMusterion 2,834 51 07/07/20 01:48 PM
by lowbrow
* Panics Fox Theatre run
( 1 2 all )
Adom 3,374 34 03/27/05 10:07 PM
by blissedout
* PLQ Warfield Run Roll Call GetTheFuckOut 426 3 11/05/04 10:15 AM
by lukeboots
* tonights tips
( 1 2 3 all )
Gillette 4,475 46 04/10/05 09:15 PM
by Yarry

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Entire Staff
744 topic views. 5 members, 206 guests and 202 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.029 seconds spending 0.008 seconds on 16 queries.