Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Community >> The Pub

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Delicious Bacon

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleMushie_Man
Fuck Up

Loc: UK
Your views / tips / experiences with Bodybuilding..
    #3549816 - 12/27/04 09:21 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

I was wondering what everyone elses point of view on bodybuilding was. How many other people bodybuild/lift weights on this forum?

personally, my bodybuilding has been an uphill strugle, i used to it about a year ago but i just give up because it wasent doing anything for me, and im not naturally bulk. Im skinny but kinda toned, i just wanted to improve my tonage, not any big gains or be a muscle man, just for a lean build.

But, about 6 months ago i got back into it, untill recently i have been seeing no results, but this past month/few weeks i have noticed gains which i have been hoping for all along.

The reason for this is motivation, i could have given up a few months after not seeing any results, but i carried on going.

Motivation = Key, but theres alot of other factors too.

You need to be consitant, untill recently i havent been constant (maybe gym once every one or two weeks) now i do push ups everynight (with alot higher reps than usual) and try to get to gym twice a week, and every two days i do bicep curls.

I have always been scared of loosing my skinny toned figure and was afraid of just getting fat, so i didnt try to bulk up nor change my diet. Untill recently i realised that skinny isnt always the best way to go, just because im skinny doesent mean its a great figure.

So now, i eat alot more meat, most mornings (if i have time) i will cook my self a proper breakfast with eggs,beans,sasuage and bacon. If not that i will have a bowl of porridge with honey instead of sugar (its tastes more weird, but i hate the fact that when i use sugar its like 3 tablespoons, which cant be good for you) and during the day if i get hungary ill eat a banna or cook myself up some pasta. If i get hungary at night ill cook some more sausage, bacon, beans with an egg on top and eat it out of a bowl. Then after my nightly workout ill have a muscle & weight gainer (which i have always been afraid of using because i didnt want to gain weight at first). Just recently i have been starting on the suppliment "Creatine" im sure most of you have heard of it and im sure its done me wonders just after 2 weeks. I feel stronger, my muscles are actually seeming to grow and i find workouts more workable.

Heres a summary of what i do to help me gain muscle:

1. Supplement with Creatine and Muscle and Weight Gainer.

2. Be consistant with workouts.

3. Change diet, eat right foods, if your skinny gain weight, dont be      afraid.

4. Exercise.. after i workout at gym i will run home, and with my college course theres alot of exercise invoved (such as 5 mile runs etc)

5. USE WEIGHTS CORRECTLY!! Up untill recently i have been using too heavy weight for myself and not perorming the exercise correctly, such as the bicep curl, i now bend my knees and put the weight through my legs rather then on my back, i find i can perform the exericse 100% better, and now seeing results!

6. Find the correct weight for you, some people say high weight, low reps is the way to go , others say high rep low weight. I have tried both and i find that a moderate weight with moderate amout of reps works for me (about 15 reps, or as many more as i can perform, 15 is about the max i can perform) after some inicial sets i usually increase the weight.

I have only been doing all this for a few weeks and i have gained about 7 pounds so far, which is good for me. Im not finding im gaing fat just mainly muscle. Actually i find increasing my calories has increased my metabolism leading to fat reduction, but thats just a thought.

Any comments are welcome.

Thanks for reading, i tend to chat on crap to much  :tongue:

Mushie Man  :crazy:

--------------------
Ecstacy got me standing next to you
Getting sentimental as fuck spillin' guts to you
We just met
But I think I'm in love with you
But you're on it too
So you tell me you love me too
Wake up in the morning like "yo, what the fuck we do?"

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineoDin
Re: Your views / tips / experiences with Bodybuilding.. [Re: Mushie_Man]
    #3549871 - 12/27/04 09:30 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

looks pretty good

im not a big fan of creatine cuz it just increases mass with water, but to each his own. use whey protein....a partner helps with motivation

Offlinegrphish
the Modern dayPacman

Re: Your views / tips / experiences with Bodybuilding.. [Re: oDin]
    #3549924 - 12/27/04 09:39 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

just do drugs instead!

--------------------
BoUnCy BaLL IS All SoUrCe OF LIGhT AnD HaPPiNeSS!!~! *bEEP* *beEP*

InvisibleBi0TeK
elephant man

Loc: Yorkshire Moors, Great Br...
    #3549952 - 12/27/04 09:44 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

People that body build are usualy insecure about other parts of their anatomy. Namely the size of their dick!

This isn't aimed at you personaly, it's just my view.

--------------------
PROMOTE BACTERIA. THEY'RE THE ONLY CULTURE SOME PEOPLE HAVE.

InvisibleMushie_Man
Fuck Up

Re: Your views / tips / experiences with Bodybuilding.. [Re: Bi0TeK]
    #3549965 - 12/27/04 09:47 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Not really, people who take steroids get a smaller package anyway.

--------------------
We just met
But you're on it too

Offlinekadakuda
The Great"Green".......East
 User Gallery

Loc: Asia
    #3549978 - 12/27/04 09:49 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

if i cant use it i dont want it.  i dotn lift 500 pounds daily so i dont shape my body too.  but if people enjoy doing so, give er.  i personally find it unatractive.  but thats jsut me.  did you already guess im skinny? :grin:

--------------------
The seeds you won't sow are the plants you dont grow.

Offlinetheocean06
Yeah, I've donefour already...

#3550017 - 12/27/04 09:57 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Creatine does a lot more than just increase water weight.  I have used it and it most definitely increased my energy levels.  I didn't use it long enough to see the long term effects.  Unfortunately I have fallen out of weight lifting, but hope to get back into soon.

I think natural bodybuilding is very good thing, keeping the body in shape.  When you start to mix that with steroids is when it gets out of control.  I love watching The Worlds Strongest Man on ESPN (I know that isn't bodybuilding, but just look at the IFBB - yet another joke.  You have to use steroids to compete in it) but it's a joke that they claim the athletes are using steroids.

Power lifting > Bodybuilding :tongue: :grin: :evil:

--------------------

The story of life is quicker then the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello, goodbye.            - Hendrix :bow:

InvisibleBi0TeK
elephant man

#3550027 - 12/27/04 09:59 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Mushie_Man said:
Not really, people who take steroids get a smaller package anyway.

The only reason I think people bodybuild is because they have a insecurity problem of some form or another. Hey, just my opinion!

--------------------

Invisiblevinsue
Grand Old Fart
Male

Loc: The Garden State(NJ) Flag
    #3550057 - 12/27/04 10:04 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

:blush:

Edited by vinsue (12/27/04 10:05 PM)

InvisibleBi0TeK
elephant man

#3550097 - 12/27/04 10:11 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

I was just kind of agreeing with someones elses post here about bodybuilding looking un-natural but it looks like he/she deleted it. If you like bodybuilding stick with it!

--------------------

OfflineoDin
    #3550107 - 12/27/04 10:13 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

well personally i lift weights to keep in shape and be able to do things most people my age cant.

cant say i really bodybuild as in IFBB stuff.

perhaps i didnt use creatine long enuf ( few months ) but i seem to get better results with whey protein as my only supplement. i didnt feel very cut on creatine at all, in fact a week or so after i quit i felt and looked(imo) better. but everybody reacts differently to different things.

i could say that people that dont exercise and/or lift weights lack self disipline but then that would be a judgemental and ignorant opinion wouldnt it? :wink:

OfflineMrBump
Third prize is you're fired
 User Gallery

Loc: Where Art Meets Crime
    #3550147 - 12/27/04 10:20 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

i guess my only suggestion based on your post is to make sure you work out the whole body. if you just do pushups/bench press and curls you will look rediculous (big biceps are purely for asthetic reasons, IMO as your triceps/shoulders are used far more often IRL)
makes sure you work your back, legs and abs as well. but i like your idea with moderate wieght coupled w/ 20 reps or so, its exactly what i do.

and running for cardio is great too. i actually prefer it to lifting.
i like to switch up running too, one day i'll run a 5K the next i will do 100 and 200 meter dashes or run up stairs/hills. it builds leg muscles well.

if you get too huge to wipe your ass, stop lifting!

--------------------
If it weren't for the bloody corpses, I wouldn't have any corpses at all.

There are two ways to get to the top of an oak tree: start climbing or sit on an acorn.

Are you a carrot, an egg, or a coffee bean?

OfflineoDin
Re: Your views / tips / experiences with Bodybuilding.. [Re: MrBump]
    #3550164 - 12/27/04 10:23 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

for aerobic indoor stuff i really like an eliptical machine.

InvisibleMushie_Man
Fuck Up

Re: Your views / tips / experiences with Bodybuilding.. [Re: MrBump]
    #3550181 - 12/27/04 10:25 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Well i would usually do my legs at gym, but i consider the run home a good workout for my legs.

I do work my abs too, running is one of the best ways to get ripped abs. I do other stuff too, but you get the main idea of what im on about :smile:

--------------------
We just met
But you're on it too

InvisibleJettaJay
PsychedelicStranger
 User Gallery

#3550237 - 12/27/04 10:35 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

When I did ccreatine and Anderstenedione and other supplements I looked like this ...

I smoke my first bowl of good nugs and got the munchies now I look like this ...

:lol:

Just kidding Bro. I used to body build or rather lift weights. I was pretty cut but then gave it all up.

--------------------
I saw a little green light buzzing around in a tree, and it dawned on me that "they" were here
~~~LouiseLouise

InvisibleBi0TeK
elephant man

#3550244 - 12/27/04 10:36 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

oDin said:
i could say that people that dont exercise and/or lift weights lack self disipline but then that would be a judgemental and ignorant opinion wouldnt it? :wink:

I do get my fair share of natural exercise through rock climbing and hiking/shrooming which is all I need. It has nothing to do with "building the body beautiful", I just do it for the joy it gives me!

Each to their own I suppose.

--------------------

OfflineoDin
    #3550276 - 12/27/04 10:42 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

yeah. the exercise many weight lifters do has little to do with "building the body beautiful" and alot more to do with overall fitness was all i was trying to point out.

if you rock climb, hike, mtn bike ect perhaps we might hook up someday. peace.

InvisibleComfortably_Numb
FriendlyStranger
 User Gallery
Loc: Here (not everywhere)
    #3550285 - 12/27/04 10:44 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Mushie_Man said:
I have always been scared of loosing my skinny toned figure and was afraid of just getting fat, so i didnt try to bulk up nor change my diet. Untill recently i realised that skinny isnt always the best way to go, just because im skinny doesent mean its a great figure.

If you're not gaining weight, you can only tone up and lose fat. You have to eat if you want to gain any sort of muscle mass (which is what bodybuilding is about).

Quote:

1. Supplement with Creatine and Muscle and Weight Gainer.

Creatine is a great supplement in my opinion. In the first couple of weeks, you will notice up to a 10 lb gain in water weight which will make your muscles look fuller. It also gives your muscles energy to perform a couple extra reps, but it won't increase your strength (1 rep max, for example, won't increase). I'd take whey protein after a workout over weight gainer and just use regular foods to gain weight.

Quote:

2. Be consistant with workouts.

Good advice. Go with a friend and set up a time of day, whatever you need to keep you motivated an consistent.

Quote:

3. Change diet, eat right foods, if your skinny gain weight, dont be      afraid.

Diet is just as important as the workout in my opinion. The meats you listed in your post (sausage, bacon) are high in fat. You should stick to lean meats like chicken and turkey. Try to get a source of protein and complex carbs with every meal. You also need healthy fats, which you can get from peanut butter, fish, nuts, flax oil, etc. Aim for at least 1 gram of protein / lb of body weight.

Quote:

4. Exercise.. after i workout at gym i will run home, and with my college course theres alot of exercise invoved (such as 5 mile runs etc)

Cardio is important too, but a lot of bodybuilders will abstain from cardio during their "bulking" phase. If you're trying to gain weight, cardio burns calories and can make it difficult. You can still do cardio, you will just have to eat more if you want to gain weight.

Quote:

5. USE WEIGHTS CORRECTLY!! Up untill recently i have been using too heavy weight for myself and not perorming the exercise correctly, such as the bicep curl, i now bend my knees and put the weight through my legs rather then on my back, i find i can perform the exericse 100% better, and now seeing results!

Again, good advice. There's no point to ego training - use the proper weight, nobody in the gym cares what you're lifting. If you don't know how to perform an exercise, ask someone who does or look it up (www.exrx.net is a great site).
Quote:

6. Find the correct weight for you, some people say high weight, low reps is the way to go , others say high rep low weight. I have tried both and i find that a moderate weight with moderate amout of reps works for me (about 15 reps, or as many more as i can perform, 15 is about the max i can perform) after some inicial sets i usually increase the weight.

There is a general rep range for certain goals. 3-5 Reps is best for strength, 5-10 is best for hypertrophy (muscle growth), 10-15 is for hypertrophy/endurance.

When you first start working out, you will notice gains no matter what. Eventually you will plateau and you might want to look at specific training methods such as HST or DFHT.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask. I'm pretty knowledgeable on the topic.

Quote:

People that body build are usualy insecure about other parts of their anatomy. Namely the size of their dick!

This isn't aimed at you personaly, it's just my view.

Or maybe you're just out of shape, and jealous of people who aren't? :wink: But I think you may have a point, as I have had some insecurity issues (not with my dick :smile:) and I workout. I don't think everyone who works out does it because they're insecure, in fact it's probably a minority. There's nothing wrong with self improvement, not to mention you feel better physically and mentally.

OfflinePsycAura
think, and bewicked
 User Gallery

Loc: an alternate universe som...
    #3550288 - 12/27/04 10:45 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

i love to lift. i love the control it gives me over my muscle (when im strong) you really can feel more connected and aware of your body. i compete in fitness and work out constantly. fortunately i only do fitness/figure so i dont have to get so huge and worry about not having to wipe my ass!!!

--------------------
It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain. - Captain Murphy

InvisibleBi0TeK
elephant man

#3550423 - 12/27/04 11:05 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

oDin said:
if you rock climb, hike, mtn bike ect perhaps we might hook up someday. peace.

Yeah, that would be cool.

Peace!

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Amazon Shop for: Delicious Bacon

Community >> The Pub