Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Surfing
    #12986361 -

Yesterday I went surfing for the first time.


IT WAS AWESOMEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

We went for about 3hours but I only actually rode the waves for approx. 10-30 seconds total standing up, but that was worth it.

Anyone else here surf have any tips for not falling over or how to stand up/ride waves properly?


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Surfing [Re: learningtofly]
    #12986383 -

I'd surf if I lived on the coast...all I can do is snowboard


for tips on standing up I'd say stay low and keep your stance wide


--------------------
I have considered such matters.

SIKE

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Surfing [Re: learningtofly]
    #12986432 -

Glad you enjoyed it! After my first wave I was hooked for life. When I first started, I mostly surfed the white wash. Thats easy for beginners. I would suggest working on riding waves at an angle on the shoulder of the wave. That is way more fun because you have a lot more to work with and once you start getting better you can practice doing cutbacks and stuff.  Here is a good example of kelly slater riding the shoulder at rincon.



As for not falling over, I don't have many tips. I skated a few years before I first surfed so I guess that helped me with balance quite a bit. I've never had much trouble standing up.

What kind of board did you use today? Longboards are really sturdy and easy to balance on, so I'd suggest that as a good learning board.

Glad you enjoyed it!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Surfing [Re: learningtofly]
    #12986459 -

It is a long process  but you will catch on, just dont get frustrated and give up

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Surfing [Re: kechlesurf]
    #12986597 -

shortboard or longboard?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Surfing [Re: DeliciousVinyl]
    #12986650 -

Im a longboarder but i learned to surf on shortboards.  If you want to skip the hard part of getting up on a shortboard, then get a longboard.  But once you learn how to stand up on a longboard, i would switch back to shortboard to learn how to carve and use your weight to steer the board down the wave.  Once you learn/understand how that works, you will know what  board will fit your style of surfing

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Surfing [Re: kechlesurf]
    #12987253 -

I borrowed someone's 9ft long board.

I noticed that a wetsuit really restricts my movement when i'm swimming, is that just something i'll have to get used to?

I can't wait to go again though


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Surfing [Re: learningtofly]
    #12987284 -

i guess, my wetsuits are nice and worn in, and they dont bother me, but if your suit is tight, let it wear in or get a new one that is better quality.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Surfing [Re: kechlesurf]
    #12987295 -

I rented one ($20 for all day), since i go to school in the midwest (im from CA) I don't think I'll be doing much surfing there. I will look into getting a wetsuit in fall when the summer stuff goes on sale.

Any recommendations for wetsuits, as in, what should I look for in a wetsuit?


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Surfing [Re: learningtofly]
    #12987327 -

depending on where you surf, will determine your thickness, most likely you will need a 3 mm, i have a quiksilver right now, but hoping to buy a Patagonia this year (Patagonia got into the surfing scene a few years ago and their wet suits are suppose to be the shit), i dont know from experience but my buddy owns a shop in NC and he is all about him, all of his team riders wear them and they love them

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Surfing [Re: learningtofly]
    #12987463 -

Dude I've only been surfing once but it was fucking awesome.  Totally a motivator to get out of the midwest :yesnod:


--------------------
No statements made in any post or message by myself should be construed to mean that I am now, or have ever been, participating in or considering participation in any activities in violation of any local, state, federal, or fashion police laws. All posts are works of fiction.

For well you know that its a fool who plays it cool
By making his world a little colder.

Under closer inspection I realised it was a funky ball of tits from outer space.


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Surfing [Re: kechlesurf]
    #12988681 -

kechlesurf said:
depending on where you surf, will determine your thickness, most likely you will need a 3 mm, i have a quiksilver right now, but hoping to buy a Patagonia this year (Patagonia got into the surfing scene a few years ago and their wet suits are suppose to be the shit), i dont know from experience but my buddy owns a shop in NC and he is all about him, all of his team riders wear them and they love them



I'd be surfing in Northern California mostly.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Surfing [Re: learningtofly]
    #12988750 -

Surfing really gave me the shits, the learning curve isn't a fun one :crankey:

Hard to learn, hard to master and the results came very slowly compared to other sports/activities.

I had more success kitesurfing after 1 week then I did surfing for over a year.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Surfing [Re: Chubba]
    #12988810 -

Surfing is fucking awesome!

But I always leave the beach with my pockets completely filled with sand it sucks hahahah.

Its like falling in a washing machine, sometimes scary but kinda fun :thumbup::vaped:


--------------------
¿Check out some art m8?


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Surfing [Re: twighead]
    #12989988 -

Ive done bodyboarding for like 10 years now and its hell fun

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Longboard recommendations?
( 1 2 3 all )
The Doobie Dude 2,972 53 04/29/15 07:00 PM
by ModestMouse
* Surfing
( 1 2 all )
lbtchnlgs 3,303 21 07/14/08 10:21 AM
by lbtchnlgs
* Anyone surf?
( 1 2 3 4 5 6 all )
Moonshoe 5,250 117 03/03/15 08:17 PM
by kr0nik0
* Anyone Here Surf? (Tips Welcome)
( 1 2 all )
Alien 2,578 21 09/23/12 01:44 PM
by Tripsurfer
* Just got a longboard Syle 756 6 04/28/08 11:25 PM
by Gainer
* Longboarders
( 1 2 3 all )
sensesblend 4,164 48 11/24/05 11:54 AM
by Noviseer
* Burley Longboard crash today Psy Baba 2,599 15 07/21/08 01:33 AM
by CaptainH13
* longboard Apostle 269 4 06/15/11 03:09 PM
by MLDSMDA

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Entire Staff
760 topic views. 4 members, 205 guests and 130 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.033 seconds spending 0.008 seconds on 16 queries.