Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 |  [ show all ]
Do you listen to song lyrics much?
    #12587415 -

I've found that I never really do at all but when I do,I usually can't hear them right or they go over my head.

Anyone in the same boat?

I've always listened to the instruments playing to know if I like it or not and just heard the singing over the top...


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Do you listen to song lyrics much? [Re: LobsterSauce]
    #12587431 -

im in the same boat.
:irishtoast:


--------------------
I'M NOT DEAD YET!!!

Tcm's Step by Step Guide to Making Poppy Pod Extract 'Opium' & Laudanum, Full With Lots of Pictures!
:pod::snowman::snowman::pod:

“I'll stick to my needle, my favourite waste of time,
both spineless and sublime;
Since I was born, I started to decay.
Now nothing ever - ever goes my way.”

- Brian Molko, of 'Placebo' -

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Do you listen to song lyrics much? [Re: LobsterSauce]
    #12587436 -

I don't usually listen to any one part of music, I listen to it as a whole...

So no, I don't normally listen to the lyrics.  Not unless I hear a line that catches my ear and relates to my current life somehow, then I might restart a song and actually try to figure out what they're trying to relay in the lyrics.  But normally I don't give two shits about lyrical content, as long as it moves me.

EDIT: Plus, I find that my attention span is too short to listen to the lyrics of a song from start to end anyways.  I'll hear a line and start thinking about it and stop paying attention to the rest.  It is damn near impossible to catch every line on one play through, unless i'm following along reading them.


--------------------
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who could not hear the music.


Edited by RipVanWinkle (05/18/10 05:26 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Do you listen to song lyrics much? [Re: LobsterSauce]
    #12587438 -

I've been relating to lyrics a lot more recently. Definitely gives a deeper meaning to most songs.

I don't mind bad/cheesy lyrics though as long as the music is good.


--------------------
[]
Space is the place

Edited by Devlish2 (05/18/10 05:30 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Do you listen to song lyrics much? [Re: LobsterSauce]
    #12587442 -

yes sure and thanks for saying it

this is very interesting for me, being a non native english speaker it always bugs me when I cannot understand lyrics, this doesn't happen in my first language


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Do you listen to song lyrics much? [Re: RipVanWinkle]
    #12587445 -

RipVanWinkle said:
I don't usually listen to any one part of music, I listen to it as a whole...

So no, I don't normally listen to the lyrics.  Not unless I hear a line that catches my ear and relates to my current life somehow, then I might restart a song and actually try to figure out what they're trying to relay in the lyrics.  But normally I don't give two shits about lyrical content, as long as it moves me.




--------------------


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Do you listen to song lyrics much? [Re: LobsterSauce]
    #12587453 -

Depends on what style of music. Heavy rock and blues I'm listening for guitar and bass. Metal and jazz I'm listening for drums and bass. Alternative/Soft I'm listening more for lyrics, but also the blues again.

But the best songs lyrically are the ones that were written 50 or 60 even 70 years ago and are still applicable today.

That's why I love a lot of blues.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Do you listen to song lyrics much? [Re: CosmicFool]
    #12587469 -

same here brother, never payed to much attention to lyrics. you can write awesome lyrics but if the instrumental sucks its still a shitty song.


--------------------
"It's a joke. Greed and the desire to take drugs are two separate things. If you want to separate the two, the thing you do is make drugs legal. Accept the reality that people do want to change their consciousness, and make an effort to make safer, healthier drugs."
-Jerry Garcia


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Do you listen to song lyrics much? [Re: ThirtyCigarettes]
    #12587472 -

ThirtyCigarettes said:
Depends on what style of music. Heavy rock and blues I'm listening for guitar and bass. Metal and jazz I'm listening for drums and bass. Alternative/Soft I'm listening more for lyrics, but also the blues again.

But the best songs lyrically are the ones that were written 50 or 60 even 70 years ago and are still applicable today.

That's why I love a lot of blues.



qft


--------------------
"It's a joke. Greed and the desire to take drugs are two separate things. If you want to separate the two, the thing you do is make drugs legal. Accept the reality that people do want to change their consciousness, and make an effort to make safer, healthier drugs."
-Jerry Garcia


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Do you listen to song lyrics much? [Re: thecbc]
    #12587485 -

nope nope. never pay any attention to them really

execpt if it's somethang deep like dax riggs or where there aren't much lyrics but they still carry a lot of meaning like in this song:



--------------------
ONE-EYED WANT
-------------------------
knock a hoe out this dimension, continue my ascension
-bhad bhabie

rip. todcasil, acid sloth, st1llnox, shLong, ModestMouse, vinsue, big worm (sketch), tim

Edited by Envix (05/18/10 05:39 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Do you listen to song lyrics much? [Re: thecbc]
    #12587493 -

I've noticed that some of my friends would have lyrics down for many songs and would be singing along and I just can't fathom it.

I can barely pick up what they're saying a lot of the time.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Do you listen to song lyrics much? [Re: LobsterSauce]
    #12587513 -

Oh yeah. Lyrics are huge for me.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Do you listen to song lyrics much? [Re: LobsterSauce]
    #12587535 -

Here's an idea.... Has anyone found that the people that don't pay that much attention to lyrics are the ones that play instruments?  And that the ones that do pay alot of attention to the lyrics are the ones that don't play instruments or are the ones that write lyrics themselves?

I personally play alto/tenor sax and I'm slowly but surely learning to play banjo, and I don't normally pay that much attention to lyrics...  I'm interested in this relationship


--------------------
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who could not hear the music.


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Do you listen to song lyrics much? [Re: RipVanWinkle]
    #12587551 -

well when I was in highschool the girls were always singing whatever the hottest song was at the time. but not like the entire song or anythang. just that "one catchy part". some of them played instruments

I think it has less to do with experience in instruments and more to do with whether the people actually like music or if they just like being a fan


--------------------
ONE-EYED WANT
-------------------------
knock a hoe out this dimension, continue my ascension
-bhad bhabie

rip. todcasil, acid sloth, st1llnox, shLong, ModestMouse, vinsue, big worm (sketch), tim

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Do you listen to song lyrics much? [Re: LobsterSauce]
    #12587556 -

Jimtown said:
I've noticed that some of my friends would have lyrics down for many songs and would be singing along and I just can't fathom it.

I can barely pick up what they're saying a lot of the time.



Not even on songs you've heard a thousand times before?


--------------------
[]
Space is the place

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Do you listen to song lyrics much? [Re: Brugman]
    #12587560 -

lately ive been listening to music that has no lyrics.

with lyrics i can tell how long the songs been playing by what words im hearing. i know how long it takes people to say things so when i listen to music with lyrics i cant just lay back and melt into the music. i have to always be knowing what part of the song it is and how much of it has been played. i know where i am at at all times.

with music without lyrics i can listen to it and let myself melt into the music and have my mind wonder of to what ever corners it wants to.i can get to a point where its almost like meditation where i  im not focusing on whats going on becouse im not reminded about where the song is at and what is being said or what part it is.


i also feel that music with lyrics sets a mood and a tone for how you feel and precept. if the songs a rock song the listeners mind is going to be thinking of what rock makes them think about and the lyrics the artists is saying. lyrics just seem to try to get the listener relate and feel what the artist is trying to get them to feel.

when the music has no lyrics the listener can use the music for what ever they want to , they can use it for raging out, meditation, thinking about whatever. not what the lyrics are trying to get you to think or feel. for this reason music without lyrics feels more personal to me on a much deeper level.


--------------------
:tripmolecule::awecid2::awecid2::tripmolecule:]KILLEER TOFFUUUUUU!!!!
love life and live loving


Wizard of the Night

~Peace Love and Hippy Shit~

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Do you listen to song lyrics much? [Re: RipVanWinkle]
    #12587563 -

Ya,that's pretty spot on I'd say.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Do you listen to song lyrics much? [Re: RipVanWinkle]
    #12587569 -

RipVanWinkle said:
Here's an idea.... Has anyone found that the people that don't pay that much attention to lyrics are the ones that play instruments?  And that the ones that do pay alot of attention to the lyrics are the ones that don't play instruments or are the ones that write lyrics themselves?

I personally play alto/tenor sax and I'm slowly but surely learning to play banjo, and I don't normally pay that much attention to lyrics...  I'm interested in this relationship



Well, I'm a musician but I pay a lot of attention to lyrics. And music. I'm able to comprehend multiple things at once.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Do you listen to song lyrics much? [Re: Brugman]
    #12587585 -

i find (right now as im listening to music with lyrics) the more I pay attention to what they're saying, the less I can pay attention to all the details of the music.
of course it's an ICP song so there aren't really that many "details" to pay attention to lol


--------------------
ONE-EYED WANT
-------------------------
knock a hoe out this dimension, continue my ascension
-bhad bhabie

rip. todcasil, acid sloth, st1llnox, shLong, ModestMouse, vinsue, big worm (sketch), tim

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Do you listen to song lyrics much? [Re: Brugman]
    #12587591 -

Maybe you should try listening to bands that actually had lyrics worth listening to...:shrug: Just sayin'


--------------------
Man says, "God, show me and I will believe." God says, "Believe and I will show you."

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 |  [ show all ]


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* finding song lyrics? kadakuda 939 6 11/06/04 09:48 PM
by kadakuda
* Good Morning Songs!
( 1 2 all )
Earth_Droid 3,618 27 08/01/04 02:45 PM
by tyke
* Songs that make you cry..........
( 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 all )
Bullfrog1 27,727 127 09/05/22 05:49 PM
by oursoulsinmotion
* My First Rap Song Asclepius 468 15 03/04/18 12:44 AM
by ballsalsa
* Sick of Dead songs?
( 1 2 all )
LearyfanS 4,768 22 10/08/03 08:39 PM
by Learyfan
* love this lyric Ripple 1,252 13 05/26/03 09:31 AM
by Ripple
* Some Lyrics for the pub. The_Red_Crayon 671 6 12/11/04 11:02 PM
by Phr33k
* RAAAAAAAWH (Official Punk Song Thread)
( 1 2 all )
Cracka_X 6,792 39 10/24/24 06:17 PM
by 073202

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Entire Staff
2,554 topic views. 3 members, 13 guests and 76 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.03 seconds spending 0.006 seconds on 16 queries.