Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
More IDs (mint and succulents)
    #12509225 -

I'm posting this in the misc botanicals subcategory because these plants probably have no entheogenic interest. Is there any knowledgeable guy who can help me ID these plants?

1) A small cactus, probably some kind of cereus.



2) An unidentified succulent.



3) An interesting looking plant with fleshy leaves. Nice flowers and pods.






4) A cactus for sure. Probably Opuntia something. Which one exactly? Could this possibly be any good as a grafting stock?





5) Spearmint or peppermint?




Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: More IDs (mint and succulents) [Re: globos]
    #12510173 -

The cactus you said was probably Opuntia something is definitely an Opuntia species, not sure of the specific species however (i just spent a fruitless 10 minutes searching).

Not sure about the others i'm afraid

:peace:


--------------------
"Make hay while the sun shines"

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: More IDs (mint and succulents) [Re: haymaker]
    #12510466 -

1. Cereus peruvianus var. monstrose

2. Aloe spp

3. No idea

4. Yes definitely a type of Opuntia

5. Peppermint, I have some too :grin:


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: More IDs (mint and succulents) [Re: theMallacht]
    #12510762 -

3 is a wandering jew


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: More IDs (mint and succulents) [Re: theMallacht]
    #12510765 -

themallacht said:
1. Cereus peruvianus var. monstrose

2. Aloe spp

3. No idea

4. Yes definitely a type of Opuntia

5. Peppermint, I have some too :grin:



I agree with all of these. Except I don't have peppermint so I'm not as sure about that one.
#3 is no idea. :sorry:


--------------------
DG
:plur:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: More IDs (mint and succulents) [Re: PoC]
    #12510881 -

PatternOfChaos said:
3 is a wandering jew



That's what it is! I knew I recognized it but I wasn't sure... I think that one has been IDed here before, it was on the tip of my tongue but couldn't quite place it. Thanks PoC


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: More IDs (mint and succulents) [Re: PoC]
    #12510937 -

Are you sure PoC, I can't seem to find any with hairy flower bud clusters like that one.


--------------------



Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: More IDs (mint and succulents) [Re: Cactusdan]
    #12511493 -

You have an interesting point there dan.  It looks quite like a wandering jew but I couldn't find any pictures with hairy buds like that.  There's another plant that comes to mind here as well but the name is escaping me.  One thing that also makes me think you could be correct is that it's outside, which makes Tradescantia less likely.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: More IDs (mint and succulents) [Re: PoC]
    #12511744 -

Well I have some outside as a ground cover in my ethnobed.

But yeah, the flowers definitely look off.


--------------------



Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: More IDs (mint and succulents) [Re: Cactusdan]
    #12513515 -

I think it is a Tradescantia, the flowers and leaves are how they should be. I've spent hundreds of hours pulling that shit out of the New Zealand bush and I know it when I see it. Down in this part of the world if you call it Wandering Jew you will be tried as a war criminal or at least get angry looks, people prefer the name Wandering Dick. I still call it wandering Jew and politically correct people burst a hemorrhoid. lolz.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: More IDs (mint and succulents) [Re: karode13]
    #12513934 -

lulz indeed, Karode. It looks a little off from the wandering jew I am used to.
But there are a couple sp. of Tradescantia that are known as wandering jew. I am familiar with T. zebrina.


--------------------

Edited by Big L (05/05/10 10:41 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: More IDs (mint and succulents) [Re: Big L]
    #12514478 -

Big L said:
lulz indeed, Karode. It looks a little off from the wandering jew I am used to.
But there are a couple sp. of Tradescantia that are known as wandering jew. I am familiar with T. zebrina.



Same here, same here.


--------------------



Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: More IDs (mint and succulents) [Re: Cactusdan]
    #12515170 -

Wow... so many replies... all questions answered... thanks guys!

1) I'd never thought it is another monstrose cereus peruvianus. It looks quite different from my other, much bigger, c. peruvianus monstrose - which is smoother and waxier.

2) Aha! So it's an aloe! I did some research and it might be juvenna or squarrosa. I think juvenna is more likely, but I'll have to check with aloe buffs. Does anyone know if aloe juvenna/squarrosa have similar properties as aloe vera?

I think I will be trading some seeds here as soon as Ms. Aloe fruits (come to think of it, I've seen her in full bloom a couple years ago) ;-)

3) Tradescantia/Wondering Jew: the leaves are fleshy (on the verge of succulent), not thin. Does this click with your experience?

4) I did my homework too before posting here, but I couldn't locate such a thin-looking species in the opuntia genus.

5) Yay! I was thinking (and hoping) so, but I wasn't at all sure. I'm very proud of my mint bush :smile: :smile:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: More IDs (mint and succulents) [Re: globos]
    #12517082 -

Careful with that mint though... I recently pulled mine out of my in-ground herb garden and threw it in a good sized pot because it was trying to strangle out my other herbs and generally take over my entire garden.... And they will too....


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: More IDs (mint and succulents) [Re: theMallacht]
    #12517290 -

Wandering Jew wanders all over the shade-covered areas of my yard. It doesn't look like what you've got though. Are the undersides of the leaves totally purple?

T.zebrina is good, attractive groundcover.. but keep in mind it is usually considered invasive. It can rapidly cover a forest floor, making it impossible for taller plants and trees to regenerate themselves.


--------------------
I don't use or interact with illegal drugs. I joined for the wealth of information available in the Ethnobotanical Garden forum.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: More IDs (mint and succulents) [Re: iFennario]
    #12521374 -

@themallacht
Good point. I know mint is a perennial with a hardy rhizome and will resprout easily, but at present the situation is under control. I prune it 1-2 times a year to keep it in its corner. My bush grows in the interstices between square paving stones

@iFennario
Yes, the undersides are purple - or more precisely, a dark hue of violet. So it is invasive too? At present it's physically confined, but if it wanders out of the closet (does its seed travel easily?) I'll be sure to put an end to it. Thanks for the heads up.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: More IDs (mint and succulents) [Re: globos]
    #12523763 -

Assuming its a Tradescantia species.. potentially invasive. And by the undersides of the leaves it sounds likely you've got one sort or other. I dunno about it's seeding, it seems to "wander" one way or another, hence the name, and is loose rooted if at all - can be easily pulled up and relocated.


--------------------
I don't use or interact with illegal drugs. I joined for the wealth of information available in the Ethnobotanical Garden forum.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Cacti ID help ( a sweet find????) Psilocybeingzz 1,799 3 01/28/05 05:19 AM
by Psilocybeingzz
* All cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are cacti llamabox 964 2 04/21/06 03:42 PM
by llamabox
* succulent ID? delosperma... CptnGarden 1,187 5 10/18/06 04:59 PM
by CptnGarden
* Succulent ID help AJ420 872 4 12/14/03 06:36 PM
by AJ420
* Cacti id...fun 5meopsyco 3,268 14 10/11/05 11:57 AM
by 5meopsyco
* plant id Vertigo6911 593 6 08/16/05 07:50 PM
by felixhigh
* Cacti id please or just enjoy the couple pics Mr420 2,419 15 10/02/06 01:49 PM
by Mr420
* Graphting Lophorora williamsii to a succulent xpaciscool 1,078 15 02/09/08 09:07 PM
by xpaciscool

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: karode13, Mostly_Harmless, A.k.a
1,368 topic views. 0 members, 11 guests and 11 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.024 seconds spending 0.006 seconds on 16 queries.