Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
sawdust preparation
    #1226973 -

Hum... I have some questions about the sawdust...
Some people say that I should put water (60% of the sawdust's weight) and just mix it together before sterilizing... Other say that I should put the same weight of water. I'm a bit confused... Are the any procedures for the preparation of sawdust? (sterilizing)
Or I should simply experiment a few hundreds of times until I find a good ratio/method ?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: sawdust preparation [Re: MushMushi]
    #1228106 -

First you need to know the water content of the sawdust you have. Take 100g of it and bake on a cookie sheet @ 250 for an hour or two. Re-weight your sawdust. Subtract the last weight from the first (example, 100g -94g= 6g) The number you end up with is your %moisture.
So, to make the optimum 60% you will need to add 54% water, by weight, to your existing sawdust.

This should be a good starting point. Cover your jars with foil to reduce any water loss through evaporation.

Best of luck. AWG

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: sawdust preparation [Re: ]
    #1232687 -

Thanks!
Should I simply put the water in the jar with the sawdust or should I mix it before?

Any other methods/procedures ?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: sawdust preparation [Re: MushMushi]
    #1232736 -

I just soak sawdust for about 24h, then drain it for an hour or so and fill the bags. I follow the simple rule that when you squeeze the substrate there should be only few drops of water coming out.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Hericium Erinaceus on Fir sawdust. (peroxide) Dmonikal 5,614 11 03/09/13 08:13 PM
by psychomike86
* moisture content for sawdust based mixtures mattymonkey 2,196 7 06/02/05 03:28 PM
by shirley knott
* Obtaining hardwood sawdust!!!????? stan 3,191 4 05/25/02 07:38 AM
by r05c03
* Sawdust AzulAgave 1,622 1 01/24/02 04:45 PM
by r05c03
* Help finding hardwood chips/sawdust for reishi substrate Jeremy_Davis 12,504 15 08/13/05 02:12 AM
by Jeremy_Davis
* Anyone know best fruiting sub. and procedure for Lion's Mane? sleepingbigguy 3,221 5 04/28/05 10:40 AM
by sleepingbigguy
* Short cut for producing sawdust spawn? shroomaker 3,471 8 12/24/05 10:03 AM
by shroomaker
* a little sawdust........some bran...........and BAM.....Shiitakes!
( 1 2 all )
MycoshackC 6,358 21 01/06/10 12:07 PM
by vegantoker

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: RogerRabbit, cronicr, Pastywhyte, Forrester, Stromrider, SHROOMSISAY01
2,062 topic views. 0 members, 9 guests and 2 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.021 seconds spending 0.004 seconds on 14 queries.