Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinerico357
journeyman

mycelium stopped growing
    #1213601 - 01/13/03 05:15 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

a quick question here.

i started some cambodians in hal-pint jars using brf/verm. i put them under my sink and they were growing fine for the first two weeks. i noticed some blue contam inside one of the jars. i let it go for a little while to see if the myc would take over, it didn't, so i threw it out. now the other five are still under the sink. the temp has been rising to 92 degrees F on occasion and staying there for a little while. it seems that the myc has stopped growing, still no other contams, but:

Q: has this high temp killed the myc, or just slowed it's growth? will the myc resume growth when temperatures get lower, or is it totally destroyed?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineMickyFinn
Fuck the DJ
Loc: VA Beach VA
Re: mycelium stopped growing [Re: rico357]
    #1213611 - 01/13/03 05:17 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

jars normally stall before fully colonizing, you might want to try turning them upside down to release co2 buildup

OfflinelogicalMADNESS
journeyman
    #1213704 - 01/13/03 05:52 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

95 degrees wont kill the myc. Myc reaches thermal death at 106 degrees so you should be fine. Yes and as mickey finn suggested try turning them upside down. Another reason why the jars could stall is the substrate could be too wet towards the bottom. Good luck to you

--------------------
"If I were not a physicist, I would probably be a musician. I often think in music. I live my daydreams in music. I see my life in terms of music...I get most joy in life out of music."
-Albert Eistein

OfflineAngry Mycologist
Spontaneouslycombusting

Loc: Galapagos
    #1213992 - 01/13/03 07:51 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Such a high temperature may have dried out your jars, and it definitely would have slowed down colonization time.

--------------------
The proper penalty of ignorance, which is of course that those who don't know should learn from those who do... - Plato

Offlinedebianlinux
Myconerd - DBK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Over There
Re: mycelium stopped growing [Re: Angry Mycologist]
    #1214022 - 01/13/03 08:02 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Such a high temperature may have dried out your jars, and it definitely would have slowed down colonization time.

my sentiments exactly, was hesitant to post this because the last time I did I had to explain myself and it seems rather obvious. while 85-86 is optimum it is also MAXIMUM. much over and you not only slow down colonization but also run a very good chance of damaging the mycelium's ability to ever grow at the same pace again. take it from the king of the overheat.

OfflinelogicalMADNESS
journeyman
Re: mycelium stopped growing [Re: debianlinux]
    #1214053 - 01/13/03 08:19 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Quote:

my sentiments exactly, was hesitant to post this because the last time I did I had to explain myself and it seems rather obvious. while 85-86 is optimum it is also MAXIMUM. much over and you not only slow down colonization but also run a very good chance of damaging the mycelium's ability to ever grow at the same pace again. take it from the king of the overheat.

I dont believe it is that temp MAXIMUM. Ive had the air temp reach up to 100+ degrees for a couple of hours in my incubator and it didnt visiable damage growth of the mycelium at all. Mind you the air temp was that high but glass protected the mycelium against most of the heat, I'm guessing. Do you have any proof that raising the heat a little over 86 degrees will permanently damage the mycelium?

--------------------
"If I were not a physicist, I would probably be a musician. I often think in music. I live my daydreams in music. I see my life in terms of music...I get most joy in life out of music."
-Albert Eistein

OfflineAngry Mycologist
Spontaneouslycombusting

Re: mycelium stopped growing [Re: logicalMADNESS]
    #1214064 - 01/13/03 08:22 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Ive had the air temp reach up to 100+ degrees for a couple of hours

I think the important part of this sentence here is "a couple of hours". It sounded like Rico had a constant temperature of 92 degrees for weeks. I could definently see how that would slow down colonization time.

--------------------
The proper penalty of ignorance, which is of course that those who don't know should learn from those who do... - Plato

Offlinedebianlinux
Myconerd - DBK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Over There
Re: mycelium stopped growing [Re: logicalMADNESS]
    #1214089 - 01/13/03 08:32 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

I dont believe it is that temp MAXIMUM. Ive had the air temp reach up to 100+ degrees for a couple of hours in my incubator and it didnt visiable damage growth of the mycelium at all. Mind you the air temp was that high but glass protected the mycelium against most of the heat, I'm guessing. Do you have any proof that raising the heat a little over 86 degrees will permanently damage the mycelium?

you said it. air temp does not equal substrate/mycelium temp. the proof I have is in experience. like I said I am the KING of the overheat. I have overheated every degree from 87-140 in every way imaginable. I have years of experience in overheating. I constantly discover new ways to overheat. my most recent method? ceiling heat built into my house. thermostat went kaput. max temp this time was 99 degrees sustained for about 6 hours. mycelium never recovered (marked edges with marker and waited for 2 weeks with proper temps and it never grew and really did nothing elese either like rot). I have detailed the effects different temps will have on mycelium in a post. try a search for "overheat" "king" and maybe some numbers like "90" "100". These are all based on experience and keep in mind that different strains may have slightly different temperature tolerances (like florida and mexican). this is exactly why I didn't immediately respond to this post. somebody always disbelieves. (no offense, you SHOULD question everything)

edit: I'd like to add that I believe the permanent damage will occur at just around 90. anything over 86 and the myc will slow but recover once temps have dropped. 85 and 86 are the OPTIMUM temps. any under and it slows, any over and it slows. after 90 you hurt it.

Edited by debianlinux (01/13/03 08:35 AM)

OfflineMickyFinn
Fuck the DJ
Re: mycelium stopped growing [Re: debianlinux]
    #1214105 - 01/13/03 08:38 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

so lets just blame this on co2 buildup. ive incubated at different degress also, never above 94 for longer than overnight, that was an accident, but no harm done. we all know thermal death is 106. do you still have moisture buildup in you jars Rico? if you have no beads, and you should, you may have problems. quickest way to determine if there is still moisture in there, drop the temps on one jar for a hour or so, you should see moisture buildup.

Offlinerico357
journeyman

Re: mycelium stopped growing [Re: MickyFinn]
    #1214555 - 01/13/03 11:37 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

sorry it took me so long to reply guys and gals. i had class all day. i really appreciate all the help.

i'm not exactly sure how long the temp was that high. i "bought" a thermometer from a depot store that records the min and max temps, along with the min and max humidity levels. i left for school and when i came back 5 days later the max temp said 91.8 or. i had already turned the jars over like three days before i left. (b/c they seemed to be having trouble colonizing the bottoms). they were all about 75-80 percent colonized, but there was no consistency in pattern. what i mean is, there were some spots near the middle that weren't colonized while the myc was trying to get to the bottom on the other side.

as for moisture there has been condensation on the inside of the glass since about the third day of innoculation. i thought about trying to inject some sterile water into the jars, but then i decided not to. i didn't wanna contaminate them.

could the high temps be responsible for the spawning of blue mold (or green, or whatever color it was) seems like it happenned on my last batch that i had to. i put the jars in an incubator that was holding steady at 83-85 degrees F for three days str8. i put the jars in (12 of 'em) and when i came back a week later to look at them, the max temp was 97 F and all the jars were contaminated. (though this was prolly perpetrated by my lack of pc, and my inexperience, but everyone wants something to blame it on other that themselve right? lol.)

InvisibleSubGen1us

#1214603 - 01/13/03 12:01 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

ive read alot of poeple open theyre jars about 80+ % colonization to give them some air witch releases the co2 buildup that people here are talking about, they also have a dry verm layer at the top, to keep the contams away from ur myc.
maybe u should try that ur next innoc.

--------------------

Offlinerico357
journeyman

Re: mycelium stopped growing [Re: SubGen1us]
    #1214611 - 01/13/03 12:06 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

yeah, i should.

i put the dry layer on the top, but it seems to be falling down around the myc. i think that some of the jars ended up getting water in the dry layer from the pc'ing.

i think i'm gonna try to innoculate my last 6 jars. i only have half a syringe left, so i hope i get at least one mushy from it so i can make a spore print.

Offlinejoeshitragpicker
Home Sweet Home

Loc: Atlanta
    #1214624 - 01/13/03 12:10 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

I have had mine when i used to grow up to 110 degrees before for sustained periods. They gre fine. you are fine.

--------------------

OfflineMickyFinn
Fuck the DJ
Re: mycelium stopped growing [Re: joeshitragpicker]
    #1214640 - 01/13/03 12:16 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

how could they grow and flush at 110 when thermal death is 106?

Offlinerico357
journeyman

Re: mycelium stopped growing [Re: joeshitragpicker]
    #1214643 - 01/13/03 12:17 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

kewl, so i should just keep 'em where they are huh? just wait it out.
i'm gonna start some more this coming weekend, and hope they don't take as long.

OfflineAngry Mycologist
Spontaneouslycombusting

Re: mycelium stopped growing [Re: MickyFinn]
    #1215153 - 01/13/03 03:30 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

how could they grow and flush at 110 when thermal death is 106?

I'd like to ask the exact same thing....

--------------------

InvisibleRoadkillM
Retired Shroomery Mod
Male User Gallery

Loc: Montana
Trusted Cultivator
Re: mycelium stopped growing [Re: Angry Mycologist]
    #1216105 - 01/13/03 09:38 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

can you say bullshit bro?

lolzz

--------------------
Laterz, Road

Who the hell you callin crazy?
You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating froot loops on your front porch!

Brainiac said:
PM the names with on there names, that means they have mushrooms for sale.

Offlinekubenzi
hakuna matata
Male User Gallery

Loc: Flag
    #13244120 - 09/25/10 09:35 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Damn blue contaminants, thats sucks. Maybe you should place them in an enviorment where it is not wet, moldy, and 92 degrees. Optimal mycelial growth is 77-81 degrees, which then after that it doesn't really help the growth. Maybe you do have CO2 build up, so I guess you can turn them upside down or loosen the band a little, then tighten it back again.

--------------------
-"E.T. Phone Home"
                              :etbig:
                                      ZOOT                 
      The brilliant mindset purely insane or pure genius?

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #13244141 - 09/25/10 09:45 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

This thread has been closed.

Reason:
I believe after 7 1/2 years, the dude is not still trying to save that grow.

In addition, this thread had so much horrible information from noobs telling absolute BS to other noobs, it needs to die a horrible death.  Roadkill correctly called bullshit 7 years ago.

Why on earth would you bump this nonsense?  You got a message before posting that the thread was old and not to bump unless you had something valuable to add. :shrug:
RR

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds