Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblephrozendata
Carpal Tunnel

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Is this a good thermometer/hygrometer?
    #12091 - 04/11/00 05:19 PM (23 years, 11 months ago)

looks good, where did you get it?

[This message has been edited by phrozendata (edited April 11, 2000).]

--------------------
"There's only one corner of the universe you can be certain of improving and that's your own self. So you have to begin there, not
outside, not on other people" - Aldous Huxley

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Anonymous

Re: Is this a good thermometer/hygrometer? [Re: phrozendata]
    #12093 - 04/11/00 05:35 PM (23 years, 11 months ago)

Hi everyone, this is my first post. A good place to get decent hygrometer/thermometers fairly inexpensively is cigar websites. I found a digital one made for a humidor for about 12 bucks.

OfflineoOjonahOo
addict
    #12094 - 04/11/00 05:38 PM (23 years, 11 months ago)

Actually, I did't buy it yet.
It's on eBay right now. I don't even care about telling everyone because it's a dutch auction, so as many people bid get one.
I forget the link, but just search for thermometer/hygrometer. It ends tomorrow though.

I was a bit worried that I wouldn't be able to read it through the glass in my aquarium tank if the humidity is too high. Do they make a thermometer/hygrometer that sticks on the inside of the aquarium? Where can I find this wonder-meter? How much is it?

--------------------
Ultimate Mycodirectory v4.0

OfflineHumidity
Mad Scientist
Loc: Somewhere in Northeast OH
    #12095 - 04/12/00 11:27 AM (23 years, 11 months ago)

You could buy some double sided tape pads that would hold it to the wall of your tank.

--------------------
_____________________________________________________________________________________
"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking

Anonymous

#12096 - 04/12/00 12:45 PM (23 years, 11 months ago)

All of these low-end thermohygrometers--the Holmes, the humidor models--are not accurate or sturdy enough to warrant buying them, imho.

1) The Holmes, and other similar units, are set to be most accurate within the human "comfort zone," roughly 40%-55% rH. They are increasingly inaccurate above and below this range, and certainly not accurate at 80%-100%. They're for residential use, not for mycology. (I learned this the hard way--I bought a $38 Van Cort Instruments analog thermohygrometer that would not read above 80%.) Likewise the humidor models, which are set for highest accuracy at around 70% rH at 70? F.

2) These units, digital in particular, will not last long in a high rH environment. They'll get internal condensation and corrode or flake out.

If you really want to get something worth using, you've simply got to spend the $$$. If you don't, you'd be better off just checking your chamber walls for big drops & little drops and saving your $10-$20 for Ball jars.
http://www.fungiperfecti.com/catalog.html lists about what you can expect to pay to get something worth using:

Digital Thermohygrometer, $49.95 (Measures 32-122 F (0-50 C) and 25-95% rH. Temperature accuracy of ? 2? F from 32?-104? F (?1? C from 0-40? C), humidity accuracy of ? 5% rH from 59-104? F). All digitals are not the same--I've checked out other units at around $20-$40...they weren't as accurate as this one is above 80?F. Even this unit required some help--I had to seal the edges of the case and the battery compartment w/ good electrical tape to help keep the wet out.

Polythermal Professional Hygrometer, $119.00. Accuracy of ? 3% rH; it's analog dial. If you're _really_ nutty about rH.

my .02

ind.oOOo.lio

Anonymous

#12097 - 04/12/00 01:01 PM (23 years, 11 months ago)

i have been wondering about that Holmes model for a long time. The local Sears store carries them for about twelve bucks. Now i can save my money...
thanks indolio
peace--

------------------
"I'm psychedelic this time coming rainbow,
Look at the green lights and yall see my brain glow,
five colors; yellow, black, red, green, and purple"
--Dr. Octagonecologyst

OfflineHumidity
Mad Scientist
    #12098 - 04/12/00 01:09 PM (23 years, 11 months ago)

Hey indolio you said the humidor models are set to be accurate around 70%rh is there any way to adjust this to lets say 90%rh?

If anyone has one of these really good ones would you be able to test some humidor models for accuracy at higher rh and let us know what the best one is. :smile:

--------------------
_____________________________________________________________________________________
"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking

OfflineoOjonahOo
addict
    #12099 - 04/12/00 02:32 PM (23 years, 11 months ago)

Should I retract my bid then. How about a analog humidity dial from a garden store? Looks pretty cheap so Im guessing no go? Are these accurate to read around 90% rH? I don't need anything so fancy, just to tell me whether my humidity is close to 100% for cakes or like 85% for casings.

--------------------

Anonymous

#12100 - 04/12/00 03:03 PM (23 years, 11 months ago)

As far as re-"setting" the humidor models...nah. Messing with the coil in an analog would just screw it up; don't know about the digital units...not worth the trouble, imo. Besides which, even if you _could_ somehow recalibrate the digital, it'd still be somewhere around +/- 7% or 8% rH, which (imo) isn't good enough.

As far the garden dial, you're right, jonah, no go.

You're talking about 85% rH for casings and 100% rH for cakes, a 15% spread. Which means you have to have at _least_ a +/- 5% guage to make it worth a damn: if it reads 85%, could be 80%, could be 90%. Chances are the garden dial is _maybe_ +/- 15% rH, which means: 85% could be 100%, could be 70%. And it's coil won't go past 80% or so anyway. Blech.

Then again, I'm anal enough to spend $165 on an accurate humidistat that controls my humidity for me, hands-off.

Lots of folks grow by keeping track of the condensation on their terrarium walls and do just fine. But I went the high-tech way ('cause I'm not around much), so I don't know much about that more intimate hands-on approach. Perhaps someone should start a "Measuring Humidity Without A Hygrometer" thread and see if the expert types have some advice.

OfflineoOjonahOo
addict
    #12101 - 04/12/00 03:41 PM (23 years, 11 months ago)

Okay then, how bout this one:

[img]http://members.aol.com:/jblck001/airguide.jpg
[img]

It says humidity is accurate to +/- 3% but im not sure what range it's in. Looks pretty nice though

--------------------

OfflineoOjonahOo
addict
    #12102 - 04/12/00 03:44 PM (23 years, 11 months ago)

Damnit.

I don't know how big it is though, or if it would fit in my 10g aquarium.

--------------------

OfflineoOjonahOo
addict
    #12103 - 04/12/00 03:58 PM (23 years, 11 months ago)

Okay, nevermind, I hereby retract all my old posts in this topic....

Here's the one Im getting:

a Caliber humidor thermometer/ hygrometer.
this is super accurate....

right?

--------------------

OfflineHumidity
Mad Scientist
    #12104 - 04/12/00 04:05 PM (23 years, 11 months ago)

Can you order it on the net. If so could you give us a link. Thanks.

--------------------

OfflineHumidity
Mad Scientist
    #12105 - 04/12/00 04:29 PM (23 years, 11 months ago)

http://www.frostproof.com/catalog/meas04.html
I just found this place that sells hygormeters they have a few to offer. Which one would be better the regular analog or the wet/dry bulb kind. Thanks

--------------------

OfflineoOjonahOo
addict
    #12106 - 04/12/00 04:50 PM (23 years, 11 months ago)

It's on ebay. I don't have the exact link, and I went back to find it and couldn't. It's pretty cheap right now ($15) with 3 days left.

--------------------

OfflineHumidity
Mad Scientist
    #12107 - 04/12/00 04:55 PM (23 years, 11 months ago)

--------------------

Anonymous

#12108 - 04/12/00 08:11 PM (23 years, 11 months ago)

The Taylor Digital Thermohygrometer is probably the one to get.
http://www.frostproof.com/catalog/t7619.html

This looks to be EXACTLY the same meter as the one I got from www.fungiperfecti.com, which is listed as +/- 5%rH. The Taylor claims a maximum of +/- 4% rH...so it's got to be one or the other.

The fungiperfecti meter is $49.95; the "Taylor" goes for $46. It's got a nifty bracket; max-min temp, and max-min rH memory.

The weatherplace hygrometer is nice n' accurate (+/- 3%). But it's just a hygrometer, without the memory of the digital. Memory's handy...let's you make sure that things are OK when you're not actually looking.

Having bought one already, I'd say that the "Taylor" (in quotes because it's made in China at the same factory mine was)is the one.

Anonymous

#12109 - 04/12/00 08:16 PM (23 years, 11 months ago)

Indolio, that $50 looks like it will perform as well as the min/max thermometer/hygromemter radio shack has for $25.

Maybe it is more water resistant though..

InvisibleHippie3
mycotopiate
 User Gallery

Loc: mycotopia.net
    #12110 - 04/13/00 07:17 AM (23 years, 11 months ago)

they're all pretty damn inaccurate, even meteorologists have difficulty measuring at high humidity. waste of money, imho.
had several, quite using them. no real need.

------------------
Visit http://www.drooldonkey.org Global Psychedelic Community, Forums & Chat, Teks & Tips.

--------------------
Admin @ mycotopia.net
Mycotopia

Anonymous

#12111 - 04/13/00 01:20 PM (23 years, 11 months ago)

Dunno about the Radio Shack unit. They used to make a couple of older digital thermohygyrometers that are popular w/ cigar-smokin' types (and have tiny tiny calibration screws!), although I couldn't locate them in their current online catalogue. All I know is that my $50 got me a thermohygrometer that is accurate to -1%rH (I checked). Dunno if they're *all* like that, but there you go.

Hey Hippie--what's the "observe condensation" method for terrarium humidity control? I am dependent upon machines and my kung fu is weak.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals