Home | Community | Message Board

Myco Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineDrJoseph
Wendy shot thegun.

Loc: intermolecular travel
dextrose and nutritional yeast
    #1192986 - 01/05/03 04:55 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

ok. liquid myc culture.. still trying to get a standard recipe using water dextrose and nutritional yeast.
heres what i tried:

200ml water
8 grams dextrose (4$ for a 1000gram jug)
1 teaspoon nut.yeast ($1.44 for a huge bag)

it works out to 4% sugar content pretty dead on, just that with 1 teaspoon yeast, there is alot of sediment on the bottom, and im not sure if its too much yeast. Im pretty sure one of you hard core shroomers could take the nutritional breakdown of yeast, and figure out exactly how much mycelium needs.

Figuring out that myc needs a 4% sugar content is pretty easy, i jus have no clue how to figure it out for nutrients.

liquid cultures work fine with just dextrose.. but i know if i can figure this yeast thing out, i'll have like double the speed of growth.

if anyone at all answeres this one.. thank god.

--------------------
"cus it aint gonna be like you think it is - thats the one thing you can take to the bank." - Terance mckenna

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineOn_the_Down-Low
Polyfil-ophile-Say it 3 timesfast.

Re: dextrose and nutritional yeast [Re: DrJoseph]
    #1193135 - 01/05/03 05:44 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

don't have the thread # but:

"...Both Jars are Qt. and have 2tbls of Karo. Both were inoculated with 1ml of P.F.
spores from the same syringe and keep around 80deg for 7 days. The only difference is the addition of 1/4tsp of Nutritional Yeast to one of the jars..."

OfflineH2O2shrooms
Couch Potato

Loc: in front of the computer
Re: dextrose and nutritional yeast [Re: On_the_Down-Low]
    #1194449 - 01/06/03 03:49 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Heres how I would deal with it

Place a small amount of yeast powder into a coffee filter, I used a pint jar this time and the amount of yeast was around 1/32 of a teaspoon. I then poured boiling water through the filter (supported by a funnel in my case), and that filtered all the visible chunks. Added honey and sterilized as normal. This ends up with a liquid that for all the world looks like old piss. But it is clear so contams will be easy to spot, rather than a guessing game.

from the following post

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=Forum4&Number=1183787&Forum=Forum4&Words=Honey%20Tek&Match=Entire%20Phrase&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Old=1week&Main=1156813&Search=true#Post1183787

--------------------
Mycology is a lot like quantum mechanics in that we don?t have causal relationships like in Newtonian physics, only probabilities of various outcomes.<=== Misapropriated from Mycofile

Invisiblemycofile
Pooh-Bah
 User Gallery

Loc: Uranus
Trusted Cultivator
Re: dextrose and nutritional yeast [Re: DrJoseph]
    #1197308 - 01/07/03 10:42 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Personally, I wasn't that impressed with the addition of yeast to dextrose water. It didn't seem to make much of a speed difference from start to usable stage. It just seemed to make a lot more mycelium more quickly after you pass the stage where I would use it.

In other words a dextrose jar is ready to shoot in say 6 days. A dextrose yeast jar (IME) would also be ready to shoot in 6 days. The only difference would be that if you let the jars sit for 7 or 8 days, the Dex. yeast jar would have massively larger amounts of mycelium. I think this is due to the fact that spores are only going to germinate so fast, and all they need to germinate is sugar. As soon as they germinate, you can innoculate, there is no need to wait for the jar to fill with mycelium as will happen in a yeast jar.

Since I was always eager to innoculate as soon as possible, I never cared much for the yeast, especially considering visibility issues.

Given that, and getting back to your original question, I did try many different amounts of yeast, and the addition of almost any amount was noticable in the bulk of biomass produced, and within reason you can't use too much of the stuff.

I wonder if dextrose yeast would store longer than simple dextrose water? It may have a benefit after all.

--------------------
"From a certain point of view"
-Jedi Master Obi Wan Kenobi

PM me with any cultivation questions.

I just looked at my profile and realized I had a website at one point in time on geocities, it's not there anymore and I have no idea what I had on it. Anybody remember my website from several years aga? PM if so please.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology