Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 |  [ show all ]
Re: Anyone own a netbook? I have a question. [Re: Cepheus]
    #11020460 -

Cepheus said:
I have an Asus EeePC 1000HA (1.6ghz processor, 2gb ddr2 ram, 160gb hdd, ralink a/b/g/n wifi).

When I initially got it the keyboard was quite weird to use, but within a week or so it was no longer an issue.

In retrospect, that little eeepc was easily the best thing I've invested in in the last couple of years. At first I thought I'd blown a load of cash on something I'd never use, but its easily one of my favourite things I own.

I dual boot mine with xp & ubuntu, it came with some really gay assed hacked up linux which was practically unusable.



For sure, I've got Ubuntu on mine- best investment I've ever made-hands down. My EEE PC is used on the coffee table when I'm at home, and I carry the 2.2 pound machine with me to class.

It's a god-send.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Anyone own a netbook? I have a question. [Re: Gumby]
    #11020499 -

You may have trouble with the keys.  Go to a Best Buy and check one out IRL before buying one.  As Gr8fulJ420 said the main letters aren't really a problem but the other keys like shift and del can be a bitch and sometimes the arrow keys are so small you need to use the tip of your finger.  A smaller notebook PC is probably better.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Anyone own a netbook? I have a question. [Re: shroomiin]
    #11020549 -

shroomiin said:
to be honest man, if you have large hands it WILL be a pain in the ass to type on  a netbook.  It annoyed me too much when i had one just the whole size of it in general i sold it to get a normal size laptop.



i really don't mind.  i have difficulties with punctuation marks sometimes, and yeah, it is a bit cramped, but i've really gotten used to it.

perhaps i'm just stoked to actually have a netbook though.  i'm a little over 1 month in to a year+ plan to travel, so this is my little technogadget gem, and i fucking adore it.

i suppose my hands aren't huge though.  my palms are.  huge palms.  kinda shortish stubby fingers.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Anyone own a netbook? I have a question. [Re: Neuron]
    #11020857 -

If the keyboards are 92% of normal size I should be fine. I can type fine on a regular Mac laptop keyboard, with the exception of the smaller keys. Still, I'll have to try one out in person.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Anyone own a netbook? I have a question. [Re: Gumby]
    #11020887 -

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220534

Input Device
Touchpad Yes
Keyboard 92% Chiclets Keyboard


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Anyone own a netbook? I have a question. [Re: Neuron]
    #11023198 -

I've got one of these:


To all the people with Eee's, why'd you choose them over a lightweight, 15" laptop? Because of their low price?


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Anyone own a netbook? I have a question. [Re: skin_]
    #11023254 -

skin_ said:
I've got one of these:


To all the people with Eee's, why'd you choose them over a lightweight, 15" laptop? Because of their low price?



At my university, most of the 'folding tables' in the auditorium are so small that a 15" notebook doesn't fit, without a magical balancing act.

I chose my EEE PC for these reasons:
-weighing 2 pounds
-4.5 hour battery life with wifi on(standard battery)
-Being able to buy one brand new for $400 at the time of purchase
-I enjoy a 10" screen for web browsing/note taking(it looks and feels slick), and if I want to game or use intensive programs, I rely on my 15.4" HP DV6770SE(2.1ghz Turion 64x2, 3gb DDR2 RAM, Nvidea 8400MGS) notebook.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Anyone own a netbook? I have a question. [Re: Neuron]
    #11023369 -

Neuron said:
At my university, most of the 'folding tables' in the auditorium are so small that a 15" notebook doesn't fit, without a magical balancing act.

I chose my EEE PC for these reasons:
-weighing 2 pounds
-4.5 hour battery life with wifi on(standard battery)
-Being able to buy one brand new for $400 at the time of purchase
-I enjoy a 10" screen for web browsing/note taking(it looks and feels slick), and if I want to game or use intensive programs, I rely on my 15.4" HP DV6770SE(2.1ghz Turion 64x2, 3gb DDR2 RAM, Nvidea 8400MGS) notebook.



Fair enough man, makes sense. I can see them being really handy for note-taking but anything else would frustrate me so much because they run so freaking slow! My dad's is running Windows XP though, not Ubuntu, which I'm sure makes a pretty big difference.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Anyone own a netbook? I have a question. [Re: Neuron]
    #11023389 -

Fuck netbooks, waste of time in my opinion.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Anyone own a netbook? I have a question. [Re: skin_]
    #11023397 -

Yeah, running Ubuntu instead of XP does make a big difference. My machine came loaded with XP and it was rather lame.

Fresh installed ubuntu on this baby, and it handles everything flawlessly. However, there are sometimes a few hiccups when I'm browsing too many tabs(6 or more), and it doesn't stream video well enough to watch it.

But for the price, and for my needs- it was great. IMO, it would be cool if they could make powerhouse netbooks for under a thousand.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Anyone own a netbook? I have a question. [Re: Neuron]
    #11023628 -

powerhouse netbook = contradiction

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Anyone own a netbook? I have a question. [Re: Gumby]
    #11024522 -

I hate the netbooks I was actually just talking shit about them earlier for a few extra bucks you get more power and built in cdrom drive. Then my girlfriend reminded me that I just recently bought a blackberry. :rolleyes: :shrug:


--------------------
"I mean, it's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain!"
-Captain Murphy

"Quit being a bitch and pill me up"
-Dr. Quinn

"Smoke that bitch"
"I am not Stormy, I am He who smokes Bitches!"
-Stormy

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Anyone own a netbook? I have a question. [Re: skin_]
    #11025119 -

skin_ said:
Fair enough man, makes sense. I can see them being really handy for note-taking but anything else would frustrate me so much because they run so freaking slow! My dad's is running Windows XP though, not Ubuntu, which I'm sure makes a pretty big difference.



slow? you just have to know the thing's limits. you can't do heavy photoshop work or gaming on netbooks. surfing the net and taking notes is pretty fast though.

i boot to xp in approx 9 seconds, word takes about 5 to open, and i stream "high def" movies from hulu all the time. if i had chosen a solid state drive over my 200gb hdd, i could do it even faster.

as a primary computer, a netbook is not something you should consider. if you need an ultra light weight and portable machine, though, these are for you.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Anyone own a netbook? I have a question. [Re: Gainer]
    #11025810 -

Gainer said:
I hate the netbooks I was actually just talking shit about them earlier for a few extra bucks you get more power and built in cdrom drive. Then my girlfriend reminded me that I just recently bought a blackberry. :rolleyes: :shrug:




a few extra bucks?  i got my netbook brand new for $210 shipped.  show me a working laptop remotely that cheap.

besides, they serve their purposes.  as i've already stated, i'm in the midst of extended travels, quite literally living out of a backpack.  my tiny 8.9" netbook is fucking perfect.  internet access wherever i can bum an open wifi signal (or pay a small fee at an internet cafe for). 

the only thing that would be more convenient would be an incredibly expensive smartphone with an equally expensive 3G plan.  too bad i'm broke as fuck and wouldn't be able to afford the phone, let alone the international plan.  so $200 for a tiny, ultra-portable computer was right up my alley.  and if i were interested, i would have the ability to use a 3G card/plan with my netbook btw.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Anyone own a netbook? I have a question. [Re: Gumby]
    #11744366 -

Alright I finally got one. Woot.com had a deal for a 10.1" Acer AspireOne refurb netbook for $230 so I bought one for me and my mom. I'm on it now.

I gotta say, this thing is a motherfucker to type on. It's tough especially for punctuation and capital letters and keys that you have to use your pinkies for. But I feel like will learn to type on it pretty quickly, even with these stupidly large hands. All in all, I think it was a damn good purchase and it's great for web browsing. 7 hour battery life too :awesome:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Anyone own a netbook? I have a question. [Re: Gumby]
    #11744403 -

it takes a couple weeks of regular use to really get used to it, at least it did for me anyway (and I have the 8.9" one, small hands like a carny though)

I recommend the 9 cell aftermarket battery, it props up the back of the netbook at a perfect angle for typing (and lasts 10+ hours).


--------------------
    classic LOVELINE

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Anyone own a netbook? I have a question. [Re: Set]
    #11744444 -

Nice man, thanks for the recommendation. I have the 6 cell battery, I'll look into the 9 cell one.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Anyone own a netbook? I have a question. [Re: Gumby]
    #11744460 -

I have a pocket PC and it can translate my hand writing into something legible... faster than typing

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Anyone own a netbook? I have a question. [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #11744551 -

Either you write like a tweaker or you type slowly. I can type a hell of a lot faster than I could ever write, even on this retardedly small computer thing.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Anyone own a netbook? I have a question. [Re: badchad]
    #11744675 -

badchad said:
Wow, I didn't know they allowed class notes to be taken via computer.  I think I'd kill someone if I had to listen to "clickety-clack" as they typed during an hour or so lecture.

Multiply that by a couple hundred kids and that has to be a new form of torture.

Use a pen.



For my grad level seminar class in Poli sci last year, i typed about 80 pages of notes that include diagrams, and tables, and about 30% dense verbatim paragraphs. Don't know how i would have passed without the computer notes. I read 12 books for that class alone and only had about 4 pages of hand notes on all of them.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 |  [ show all ]


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Netbook OS: Ubuntu vs XP home
( 1 2 all )
Gumby 1,236 28 01/19/10 12:34 PM
by Neuron
* Laptops, Touchpads, and Inadvertent Zoom on Webpages the spiral 716 8 10/19/11 12:10 AM
by the spiral
* I'm at work, sitting on a little netbook Maverick 525 11 02/25/10 02:14 PM
by pwnasaurus
* get tested, or get a netbook? tiny_rabid_birds 1,809 19 06/25/09 02:45 PM
by bigboi86
* Best Netbook Art Yet... NewbieS 336 2 01/21/09 06:15 PM
by truekimbo2
* Best Resonse to a Stupid Persons Stupid Question mjshroomer 2,201 15 03/24/04 06:58 PM
by Che_Night_Soil
* Very OT: Strange question about fire damage and photos... GernBlanston 1,178 4 01/05/04 03:04 PM
by GernBlanston
* -A rather pressing question-
( 1 2 all )
igore 4,184 21 07/31/03 09:19 PM
by Fungushungry

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Entire Staff
3,940 topic views. 6 members, 38 guests and 190 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.027 seconds spending 0.006 seconds on 16 queries.