Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Hot Yoga made my stomach upset!
    #11613350 -

So i finally did it - went to Bikram yoga.

This is a system of  Hatha yoga. Practioners perform  26 poses in a 40 degree Celsius room for a 1.5 hour session.

I've never done it before, and did pretty well with the poses.

Ill sum it up in point form:

- extremely challenging mentally and physically.
- I was sweating like a pig.
- I found it difficult to focus on breathing through my nose and exhale through my mouth while executing difficult poses..
- There are alot of ridiculously flexible and beautiful young women.
- there were a handful of shirtless older men in skimpy stretchy shorts.
- there were 4 first timers.
- afterwards i was very loose. It felt like a grease gun was used on my knees, shoulders and hips.
- i am glad i finally faced my fear of embarassment and went ahead with it.

Anyways, overall it was rewarding and difficult. An experience which teaches humility (looking like a goof and facing the fear of that.)

I'll probably buy a pass and go alot until January and then a few x a week until April. - Although, i suppose ill see how i am feeling tomorrow before i make any decisions...

I was what i thought, ragingly hungry when i got home to the point of feeling ill. After i ate i was extremely naseaus (sp?) to the point where i felt like i was might throw up while i finished my food.

I have had gut pain for the past 2 hours, although it's starting to go away now.

Whats up with that?!

Any guys from the pub do yoga? Stories?


--------------------
GO OUTSIDE.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Hot Yoga made my stomach upset! [Re: PDU]
    #11613363 -

try to eat light food after your yoga sessions, like fruits and vegetables, avoid meat if you can... oh and drink lots of water! its the key!


--------------------
Yes.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Hot Yoga made my stomach upset! [Re: SilverSwami]
    #11613374 -

Not sure I would go for that. Just drink lots of water and have some fruit before hand like silver mentioned and that should help.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Hot Yoga made my stomach upset! [Re: Maurer]
    #11613453 -

Well, i ate a Fruit smoothie 5 hours before and a tiny bowl of a few pieces of organic ravioli in alfredo sauce..

Never had any food for 3 hours before class.

Waited a half hour, hydrated and had the rest of the ravioli's and tomato salad with 2 small pieces of garlic bread.

I was surprised i could hardly finish my meal.


--------------------
GO OUTSIDE.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Hot Yoga made my stomach upset! [Re: PDU]
    #11613466 -

Maybe it's just not for you?


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Hot Yoga made my stomach upset! [Re: PDU]
    #11613503 -

What did you eat after your class?

I advise eating light after a hot yoga class, a large fruit meal is what I usually do. 

Your body adjusts to the physical challenges and you feel better and better after each class.  I think it's normal to feel nauseous after the first class.  I know I did.  (I do hot vinyasa tho)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Hot Yoga made my stomach upset! [Re: PDU]
    #11613564 -

I do yoga and will totally try bikram whenever I can.
I usually get very hungry after a class, but never had any nausea or anything like that. I think you may have lost too much water during the class and that was it.
talk about it with some instructor/teacher and give yourself some time to get used to it. 40ºC is really hot for a yoga class.
good luck


--------------------

                                                      psilohuasca is da wae
                                                                gnome sayin'?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Hot Yoga made my stomach upset! [Re: MOTH]
    #11613570 -

MOTH said:
I think it's normal to feel nauseous after the first class.  I know I did. 



Yeah, i was reading that it is normal - but i can't remember where i read that.

Ill report back to see if it happens tomorrow.

Tonight when i got home:

-i drank a glass of water
-then poured some chocolate soy milk
-ate some ravioli's which chicken and alfredo sauce cold
-ate tomato salad with balsamic. Cold garlic toast too.

So maybe it wasn't the perfect after yoga meal but was fairly light (small portion) compared with how i often eat.

Thanks for your input MOTH.


--------------------
GO OUTSIDE.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Hot Yoga made my stomach upset! [Re: PDU]
    #11613645 -

Aim for liters of water instead of glasses...especially if you are practicing hot yoga everyday.  I make myself finish a liter of water before I even leave the studio to go home.  I usually have 4-5 liters a day if I am practicing in the heat regularly.  Getting several liters in you a day will help nausea I think.  It really does me. 

I'm glad you enjoyed your first class!  :heart:

The body can communicate so effectively to awareness after a hot yoga class it is truly amazing.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Hot Yoga made my stomach upset! [Re: MOTH]
    #11614148 -

Ok, i will focus on drinking more water tomorrow.

I didn't want to chug my whole bottle because i thought i might have to pee - but not when i was sweating like i was!

Hey Moth - when you do yoga - is it more of an exercise or spiritual practice? The bikram studio seems to be like circuit training yoga, really intense and fast paced, no real discussion of spirituality...


--------------------
GO OUTSIDE.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Hot Yoga made my stomach upset! [Re: PDU]
    #11614154 -

uhm, why do you do it in this hot environment, doesnt make much sense to me ?
whats the idea behind it ?


--------------------
:penis: MONOTUB tek :sun: HEATBOMB tek :penis:

RIP #cultivation! ....can't associate? well FUCK U !

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Hot Yoga made my stomach upset! [Re: ohmatic]
    #11614364 -

Basically it helps you loosen up.

They propose that sweating releases toxins (but sweating is a very ineffective method of eliminating toxins.)

However - i must say that after 1.5 hours of sweating, my skin feels very nice.

You can read about it here.

http://www.bikram-yoga-noosa-australia.com/Sowhydoweheattheroom.htm


--------------------
GO OUTSIDE.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Hot Yoga made my stomach upset! [Re: PDU]
    #11614412 -

PDU said:
Basically it helps you loosen up.

They propose that sweating releases toxins (but sweating is a very ineffective method of eliminating toxins.)

However - i must say that after 1.5 hours of sweating, my skin feels very nice.

You can read about it here.

http://www.bikram-yoga-noosa-australia.com/Sowhydoweheattheroom.htm



Thanks for this thread. I'm thinking of taking up yoga to become more flexible and better balanced to help improve my rock climbing.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Hot Yoga made my stomach upset! [Re: Grizvok]
    #11614464 -

Awesome. I am taking yoga as part of an overall conditioning program with hopes of getting into rock climbing (amongst other things!)

PS: just watched a video claiming that 1.5 hours of bikram yoga burns 1100 calories because of the heat.

I have a hard time believing that.


--------------------
GO OUTSIDE.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Hot Yoga made my stomach upset! [Re: PDU]
    #11614700 -

Sounds cool, Im looking into it.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Hot Yoga made my stomach upset! [Re: PDU]
    #11614711 -

PDU said:
Awesome. I am taking yoga as part of an overall conditioning program with hopes of getting into rock climbing (amongst other things!)

PS: just watched a video claiming that 1.5 hours of bikram yoga burns 1100 calories because of the heat.

I have a hard time believing that.



It's not that hard to believe.. Yoga is pretty hardcore. I've burned some serious calories doing that and Qi Gong. Of course I don't have any extra to burn in the first place.

Shit I used to do rock climbing to condition for yoga :tongue2:

And yeah, drink lots of water. You sweat it all out anyway. Very cleansing to the body.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Hot Yoga made my stomach upset! [Re: Shroomism]
    #11617442 -

PDU said:
PS: just watched a video claiming that 1.5 hours of bikram yoga burns 1100 calories because of the heat.
I have a hard time believing that.



Shroomism said:
It's not that hard to believe.. Yoga is pretty hardcore.



I've done some digging around with regards to this.

Most websites claim that 1000+ calories burned in 1.5 hours is excessive and likely hype. 650-850 calories is a more reasonable number

This excellent article has well researched and rationalist debunking of the claim.

It also draws a good comparison:

Quote:
To burn at least 800 calories, a person would need to burn 9 to 13 calories per minute, depending on the length of the class. So the yoga session would need to be as strenuous as running 6.7 miles per hour—the entire time.



Now - i run at 6.7mph on the treadmill and i would say it is indeed more of a physical work out. Or, a different style of workout anyways.

If i wasn't doing doing the bikram in the heated room, i would not be barely sweating. So if we use sweat as an indication of physical exertion, the absence of sweat would suggest that the calories arn't being burned by the exertion... I am unaware of a correlation between sweating and burning calories. (but sweating is beneficial for other reasons.)

Quote:
In reality, the huffing and puffing and heavy sweating found in many yoga rooms is due to the hot room, not the hot yoga.



After watching videos Bikram (the founder of the hot room yoga process) - i would say that he is all about hype and marketing, and therefore can see why one of his teachers might easily fall into the trap of exaggerating the amount of calories burned.

However - taking such an empirical approach should not devalue the tremendous benefits available to all practioners.

Plainly - Yoga is tremendously beneficial.

and in the end, that is Bikrams winning argument.

(doesn't quantification always ruin real/experiential things?!)


--------------------
GO OUTSIDE.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Hot Yoga made my stomach upset! [Re: PDU]
    #11617645 -

I always read that it was about 600-800 cals for 90 minutes of hot yoga

Bikram is not popular with many yoga circles for the reasons you stated: hype and marketing.  But despite that, each teacher is different and the yoga is still what you make of it. 

When I do my vinyasa practice, I still start sweating like crazy even in a 70 degree room, but there is more movement involved then in Bikram.  It's more like Ashtanga yoga.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* bikram yoga
( 1 2 all )
Vvellum 2,462 24 04/12/05 02:51 AM
by Mindzpore
* What's good for upset stomach??
( 1 2 all )
Adamist 1,645 25 12/04/04 10:48 PM
by swm
* habanero's aint that hot
( 1 2 all )
Phychotron 4,878 24 08/12/04 05:22 PM
by OldSpice
* spaghetti alfredo for breakfast NWlight 996 15 04/19/12 08:41 PM
by underfliptown
* a yoga book *DELETED*
( 1 2 all )
lukeboots 2,490 20 05/24/04 12:56 PM
by phi1618
* Yoga oneducktwoducks 1,043 7 02/18/04 03:56 PM
by Help on the Way
* Kundalini Yoga BanJankri 1,087 7 12/16/05 03:04 PM
by leery11
* so tell me about yoga DistortedEyes 695 6 06/29/06 12:35 PM
by xDuckYouSuckerx

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Entire Staff
7,119 topic views. 6 members, 18 guests and 281 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.031 seconds spending 0.006 seconds on 14 queries.