Home | Community | Message Board

Everything Mushrooms
Please support our sponsors.

Community >> The Pub

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Load Universeinto Cannon. Aimat Brain. Fire.
    #2349758 - 02/18/04 01:06 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

I'm interested in learning Yoga for spirituality, rather than exercise (but I'm not in shape at all). Would group classes be any good for helping me? I go to college, so I can take a Yoga class over the summer semester or something. Is it better to learn it by yourself if you're not doing it to exercise? I have no idea where to start to learn Yoga, so any help is appreciated.

(Not sure if this should be in S&P, but they're too serious over there)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: the timbers of Fennario
Re: Yoga [Re: Letto]
    #2349797 - 02/18/04 01:13 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

I have no problem with this thread being here. Let me know if you would like it moved.

Ripple :gd_icon:

The bus came by and I got on that's when it all began!

old hand

#2349925 - 02/18/04 01:47 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

I definitely suggest visiting any groups in your area to see if you can find one to suit you, as well as studying on your own.
Having a social group is a benefit in itself, and if you can find people who think in a way you can live with, great. However, there is a great diversity of opinion and attitude among yogis, and you might not find a group you can live with. Even a group more focused on the physical aspects could benefit your private spiritual persuit.

A good book, dealing mostly with the physical side of yoga, is Anatomy of Hatha Yoga by H. David Coulter.

User Gallery

Loc: oakland
    #2350451 - 02/18/04 03:38 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

I would say that while yoga is good for your body physically, anybody who approaches it as a method to get into shape is soon going to want to quit. Yoga is a spiritual discipline - I liken it to meditation with the body. To learn - well, yes, it helps to take a class so somebody can physically show you the postures. I would also recommend taking some classes in some form of meditation as well, as you will probably find the two complement each other. Myself - I took some classes in both, but now prefer to practice alone, or with a few close friends. I found the class atmosphere too "crowded" in a sense to really be able to still my mind. But I would definitely recommend taking at least a few classes, to get a general idea about things. If you want some contact info for classes in your area (I have no idea where "Northern Kakalak is... :smile: ), send me a PM and I can try to get some numbers through people I know.

Hope your spiritual pursuit goes well!

Loc: the brainforest
    #2350479 - 02/18/04 03:44 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

yoga is spirituality through exercise. Yoga helps calm the monkeymind by training and knowing your body. Even if the class or program is secular, it is still a spiritual path. dig?

More advanced spiritual yoga is possible; you'll need to know the postures and techniques first. Your body must also be quite flexible and in shape as well. An intro will do you good - even if its not taught by a yogi master.

One step at a time :thumbup:

As we know, there are known knowns. There are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns. That is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns, the ones we don't know we don't know.

-Donald Rumsfeld 2/2/02 Pentagon

Load Universeinto Cannon. Aimat Brain. Fire.
Re: Yoga [Re: Xochitl]
    #2350798 - 02/18/04 04:44 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Alright, thanks guys. I'm going to look into some group lessons, preferably smaller groups.

#2351128 - 02/18/04 05:55 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

You should try Hatha yoga, this is the form of yoga most associated with mediatation. It is good exercise but mostly about breathing

InvisibleHelp on the Way

Loc: Another World
    #2351135 - 02/18/04 05:56 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

a lot of the group classes do the breathing wrong apparently, and breathing is an important part of yoga

but its probably the best place to start
its worth taking up :smile:

:shocked: *Divine Moments of Truth* :shocked:

"Limitless undying love which shines around me like a million suns - it calls me on and on across the universe" ~ John Lennon

"Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right" ~The Grateful Dead

"Religionists, with their guaranteed eventual paradise, of which they know nothing, taking it all on 'faith,' can't be expected to understand or sympathize with those with a yen to storm the Gate of Heaven and see for themselves what all the praying's about!" ~Robert Hunter

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Community >> The Pub