Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

North Spore Shop: North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 |  [ show all ]
Old mercedes 1987 300E(UPDATED AGAIN)
    #11299913 -

In hopes of making the thread title specific, hopefully I'll get responses from people who know their cars.

I'm driving a 1987 300E with about 140,000 miles on it. The engine works great, but there's this weird noise whenever the car is in motion. I believe the noise is coming from the driver's side towards the rear right tire.

When I'm going slow, about 5mph- there's this creaking sound that happens with every revolution of the tire. The tires are somewhat new(got them in Summer of 2007) and I had my tires rotated in April of 2009.

When I'm going 20-30mph, you can't hardly hear the noise- it's much more faint. I think  it's just that my human ear can't pick up the sound.

*I realize that I am driving a 22 year old car, and am talking about a 'creaking/friction' noise, but do you guys think this is serious, or no big deal at all?

EDIT: I don't want to ask a mechanic, because I don't trust the mechanics in these woods, and my gut is telling me it's not that serious, even though the noise is getting more "grindier"- but THEN AGAIN, I don't know shit about cars, so.


--------------------

Edited by Neuron (10/23/09 08:07 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Old mercedes 1987 300E(need advice on possible repair) [Re: Neuron]
    #11300970 -

bump


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Old mercedes 1987 300E(need advice on possible repair) [Re: Neuron]
    #11301011 -

get the brake shoes replaced

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Old mercedes 1987 300E(need advice on possible repair) [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #11301058 -

Prisoner#1 said:
get the brake shoes replaced



Really? How are you sure?

New brakes were installed on the car in 2006.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Old mercedes 1987 300E(need advice on possible repair) [Re: Neuron]
    #11301123 -

Could be the wheel bearing. 140 is the point that they start needing to be replaced.

Does it get worse if you make a hard turn to the left?

I'd be willing to bet that's what it is.

And that's a nice car you're driving, pics?

I had a 92 190E for a while, loved that car.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Old mercedes 1987 300E(need advice on possible repair) [Re: Rustifer]
    #11301138 -

I don't have any pictures of my actual car, but it looks like this one I found on the net:

http://www.spencersautosales.com/asplistings/pictures/Ad_104_1.jpg

When I turn left, the noise usually goes completely away actually. I guess I'll go see a mechanic tomorrow :frown: arggg.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Old mercedes 1987 300E(need advice on possible repair) [Re: Rustifer]
    #11301165 -

The noise would go away for a while turning opposite from it, then it got louder later on.

still sounds like a wheel bearing, jack the ass end up and spin the wheel around. You can probably tell that it will either be coming from the brakes or inside the trailing arm where the wheel bearing is.

Either way, if it's anything like on my BMW, you're going to need a garage and a few rental tools from autozone to get that fucker out. Germans don't like to taper their wheel bearings, and suggest removing the whole trailing arm and taking it to a machine shop with a 2000lbs press.

I bet you anything it's the bearing.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Old mercedes 1987 300E(need advice on possible repair) [Re: Rustifer]
    #11301214 -

Rustifer said:
The noise would go away for a while turning opposite from it, then it got louder later on.

still sounds like a wheel bearing, jack the ass end up and spin the wheel around. You can probably tell that it will either be coming from the brakes or inside the trailing arm where the wheel bearing is.

Either way, if it's anything like on my BMW, you're going to need a garage and a few rental tools from autozone to get that fucker out. Germans don't like to taper their wheel bearings, and suggest removing the whole trailing arm and taking it to a machine shop with a 2000lbs press.

I bet you anything it's the bearing.



Thanks, I'll mention this to the mechanic.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Old mercedes 1987 300E(need advice on possible repair) [Re: Neuron]
    #11302353 -

Hey Pris, my dad also thinks its the brake pads.

What was your reasoning for that guess though?


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Old mercedes 1987 300E(need advice on possible repair) [Re: Neuron]
    #11302459 -

It's pretty much the only thing other than the wheel bearings that commonly makes sounds like that.

But brakes are pretty solid, and nothing moves when you shift the weight around while turning.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Old mercedes 1987 300E(need advice on possible repair) [Re: Neuron]
    #11302664 -

Neuron said:
EDIT: I don't want to ask a mechanic,  but THEN AGAIN, I don't know shit about cars, so.



Sorry best to take it to a mechanic, its all too easy to end up trippling the cost of repairs by not knowing what your doing. Hell if you strip even one bolt you could end up in some serious trouble. And 20yr old suspension bolts are the worst next to exhaust, but that's debatable.

Anyways thats my advice, but the way I learned most shit was to dive in too deep, fuck things up and then pay lots of money or do go through a bunch more bullshit and end up with a fixed car and a valuable lesson :P

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Old mercedes 1987 300E(need advice on possible repair) [Re: Neuron]
    #11302776 -

I know it sounds stupid,but make sure your lug nuts are actually tight. That's the exact same systems of a loose wheel. even the turning. When you turn to one side it pushes the wheel against the hub,thus lessening the sound. Other turn,making the sound louder.

brakes make a constant squealing noise. ie:Wear indicators.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Old mercedes 1987 300E(need advice on possible repair) [Re: CaptainH13]
    #11303645 -

UPDATE: After driving it home from school tonight, without much turning- I would hear a grinding noise whenever I stepped on the gas(softly or with moderate force, it did not matter).

What does this tell you guys?

*I'm probably going to see a mechanic, but I wanna hear what you guys think first, cuz it has been about 3 years since I've put new brake pads, so that idea does make sense to me.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Old mercedes 1987 300E(need advice on possible repair) [Re: Neuron]
    #11303688 -

It could still be your lug nuts. It's worth the 3 mins of effort to tighten them all down. You have to at least try the easy stuff. I promise you a mechanic( even an honest on) is going to rip you off if you come in with either A: Loose lug nuts( your wasting his time=him wasting your wallet) or be "i hear a noise" same thing.

If your car has drums on the rear,which it assuredly does,considering the age. That sound could very well be your brake shoes minus pads grinding the ever living fuck out of your brake drums. Which is going to cost you much more than just pads.

Drums aren't like Disk brakes where you can just chuck them onto a lathe and true them,re surface. You gouge to deep into them from not replacing pads and their toast. I would almost bet money they will tell you that's the case.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Old mercedes 1987 300E(need advice on possible repair) [Re: CaptainH13]
    #11303705 -

CaptainH13 said:
It could still be your lug nuts. It's worth the 3 mins of effort to tighten them all down. You have to at least try the easy stuff. I promise you a mechanic( even an honest on) is going to rip you off if you come in with either A: Loose lug nuts( your wasting his time=him wasting your wallet) or be "i hear a noise" same thing.

If your car has drums on the rear,which it assuredly does,considering the age. That sound could very well be your brake shoes minus pads grinding the ever living fuck out of your brake drums. Which is going to cost you much more than just pads.

Drums aren't like Disk brakes where you can just chuck them onto a lathe and true them,re surface. You gouge to deep into them from not replacing pads and their toast. I would almost bet money they will tell you that's the case.



Cool, so changing the brake pads should be good enough?

If no, if I would also have to change the brake shoes, what are some reasonable estimates?

thanks :thumbup:


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Old mercedes 1987 300E(need advice on possible repair) [Re: Neuron]
    #11303727 -

Neuron said:
Hey Pris, my dad also thinks its the brake pads.
What was your reasoning for that guess though?



a lifetime of dealing with cars, with a wheel bearing the noise is usually
a rumble, not a squeal, you mentioned that the noise faded as you
increased speed... also be prepared to replace the drums if they're the
originals and cant be turned

front brakes need to be replaced every 20k miles on average, it's
usually every 35k-45k miles for the rear, you've had the brakes on for 3
years, being young you'll tend to do a lot more driving, 3 years is
about rught or maybe a little over the time for replacement

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Old mercedes 1987 300E(need advice on possible repair) [Re: Neuron]
    #11303737 -

the shoes aren't the problem. The drums themselves.

exhibit A:

The drum is the big thing on the floor. You most likely will have to replace that. It's much more than just the pads,but you might find some cheaper used ones.



also refer to this:
http://www.hunter.com/pub/UnderCar/2690T/index.htm


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Old mercedes 1987 300E(need advice on possible repair) [Re: CaptainH13]
    #11303740 -

CaptainH13 said:
Drums aren't like Disk brakes where you can just chuck them onto a lathe and true them,re surface.




actually.. they are, this machine does both drums and rotors


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Old mercedes 1987 300E(need advice on possible repair) [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #11303797 -

Prisoner#1 said:
Neuron said:
Hey Pris, my dad also thinks its the brake pads.
What was your reasoning for that guess though?



a lifetime of dealing with cars, with a wheel bearing the noise is usually
a rumble, not a squeal, you mentioned that the noise faded as you
increased speed... also be prepared to replace the drums if they're the
originals and cant be turned

front brakes need to be replaced every 20k miles on average, it's
usually every 35k-45k miles for the rear, you've had the brakes on for 3
years, being young you'll tend to do a lot more driving, 3 years is
about rught or maybe a little over the time for replacement



My braking power seems fine, but who knows. Probably the shoe/drum. Ahh, hopefully I don't get rickrolled for not knowing shit about cars...


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Old mercedes 1987 300E(need advice on possible repair) [Re: Neuron]
    #11303889 -

German car guys. they had rear disk brakes before 1980.


Also, they use actual ball bearings not the pin type roller bearings like on most other cars of the time.

As seen here.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/REAR-WHEEL-Bearing-Kit-SUZUKI-LT-300-E-1987-1989_W0QQitemZ230382486720QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxZ20090929?IMSfp=TL0909291410003r32841

They tend to start squeaking rhythmically.. with the rhythm increasing with speed.. long long before grinding

And they wear out right at around 140k. 

The gas thing throws me off, if you're just rolling along without any throttle it still makes the noise right?

Edited by Rustifer (10/23/09 12:27 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 |  [ show all ]

North Spore Shop: North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* updating your iPod wharfrat12 987 12 04/20/06 08:07 PM
by wharfrat12
* I'm on the hunt at eBay....wheeeee! ToTheSummit 977 9 10/28/04 06:32 PM
by Marshmallow
* Shroomery Chess Tourney: LAST UPDATE 8/28
( 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 all )
BrAiN 17,852 127 10/17/05 06:09 PM
by laurden
* Bike updates blink 1,269 12 07/10/06 06:50 AM
by goobler
* "Extreme Makeover: Home Edition"...update... ToTheSummit 395 2 11/01/04 08:37 PM
by StonedShroom
* I Have Quit Smoking Cigarettes!! **UPDATED**
( 1 2 3 4 5 all )
TM 6,361 86 05/17/06 10:48 PM
by Microcosmatrix
* Hehe, screw ipod battery replacement Nephlyte 572 3 02/11/07 05:10 PM
by eligal
* AOL's Terms of Service Update for AIM Raises Eyebrows C20H25N3O 1,122 2 03/16/05 01:30 PM
by C20H25N3O

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Entire Staff
2,543 topic views. 4 members, 16 guests and 107 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.027 seconds spending 0.008 seconds on 18 queries.