Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflinemotamanM
old hand
 User Gallery
UC researchers awarded federal grant to examine the effects of ecstasy use in young adults
    #11276465 - 10/19/09 10:40 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

UC researchers awarded federal grant to examine the effects of ecstasy use in young adults

A so-called "club drug" – typically not used all that often by those who take it – can still have the potential to cause a lot of damage among some users, say University of Cincinnati researchers. Trials are underway to trace the effects of ecstasy and to see who's most at risk. The study is supported by $471,000 in federal stimulus funds awarded by the National Institutes of Health and spread out over two years.

The researchers will be examining individual genetics as well as conducting high-resolution brain imaging at UC's Center for Imaging Research, as they examine drug use among young adults between the ages of 18 and 25. They say they're researching an understudied area, as they narrow in on how ecstasy use leads to consequences in brain structure and cognition.

The interdisciplinary research is led by principal investigator Krista Lisdahl Medina, a UC assistant professor of psychology in the McMicken College of Arts and Sciences (A&S), and co-investigator Judith Strong, a research associate professor for the Department of Cell and Cancer Biology, UC College of Medicine.

"Most of these young adults would have started using these drugs during adolescence," explains Medina. "Among ecstasy and marijuana users, we want to see – during this ongoing time of peak usage and human development – what's going on in terms of cognition, mood and brain structure.

"So, our first goal is to characterize the effects of these drugs. Our second goal is to see if individual genetics actually moderate the negative effects," Medina says.

Medina says the researchers will be examining whether ecstasy users will show significantly poorer memory function as well as a smaller hippocampus – the part of the brain responsible for mood and memory – compared with marijuana users, non-drug-using adolescents and young adults.

They're also examining genetics to see if drug users who carry low serotonin levels are more severely affected by ecstasy use than users with high serotonin levels.

Serotonin is a key neurotransmitter in the brain that is known for regulating mood and for playing a role in cognitive functions such as memory. Low levels of serotonin have been linked to anxiety and depression.

Ecstasy, a man-made drug that is part hallucinogen and part stimulant, affects the serotonin system. Users report a sense of euphoria and increased sensation, as ecstasy brings on a rush of serotonin levels. "People tend not to be daily or even regular users. They'll plan for it, perhaps for a special occasion," Medina says.

Medina says she has conducted previous research that found long-term use of ecstasy was linked to poor verbal memory. Other research has linked ecstasy to poor executive function, such as attention, problem-solving and planning. Men have been found to have an increased risk of impacting executive function with ecstasy use.

"It's not used all that often, but it can cause a lot of damage," Medina says. "We'll also be exploring what happens when people are combined drug users, such as combining marijuana or alcohol with ecstasy."

Medina says ecstasy use continues to be a major public health problem among adolescents and young adults. The researchers want their findings to aid biologically-based treatments for drug users.

###

The NIH award is issued under the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009.

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2009-10/uoc-ura101909.php

--------------------
http://heffter.org

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinelearningtofly
Ancient Aliens
Male

Loc: Out of this world
Re: UC researchers awarded federal grant to examine the effects of ecstasy use in young adults [Re: motaman]
    #11276782 - 10/19/09 11:49 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

sign me up.

--------------------

Invisibletrip88
EndOfTheWorldSurvivor

Re: UC researchers awarded federal grant to examine the effects of ecstasy use in young adults [Re: learningtofly]
    #11276884 - 10/19/09 12:04 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

so im guessing that they will be usuing pure mdma? not an e-pill...

I bet they get some pure molly

I want in as well :-)

I'm interested in this alot because there are tons of people out there who still think that picture of the monkey brain with holes in it is mdma...Such an understudied area that needs light shed on it

If the study proves something viable and there really are serious long term affects associated with the drug...then i will just go back to the natural

Offlinedanlennon3
LivingIsEasyWithEyesClosed.....
Male User Gallery

Loc: usa Flag
Re: UC researchers awarded federal grant to examine the effects of ecstasy use in young adults [Re: trip88]
    #11277678 - 10/19/09 02:10 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

To accurately show what is really dangerous and what is safe and helpful... They NEED to do tests on both Ecstasy and ALSO do the same tests on pure MDMA. This will show what JUST MDMA is doing to the body and brain... but also show how dangerous and damaging taking e-pills too. This will prove the misconception that MDMA is unsafe. I know MDMA is not 100% safe... unless if used correctly... by this I mean if it is used in moderation, and not just taken recreationally and just for fun all the time... It can be quite possibly the most powerful mental tool for countless ailments and problems.. If used incorrectly and abused, like anything it can be extremely damaging. We need to look at all aspects of the situation... We need to examine moderate e pill users, heavy e pill users, but also moderate MDMA users along with heavy MDMA users.

I can safely say that MDMA saved my life before. It could help millions and millions of people.

--------------------
"Psychedelics should be used not to escape reality, but to embrace it"

OfflineAdamist
ℚṲℰϟ✞ЇѺℵ ℛ∃Åʟḯ†У
Male User Gallery

Loc: Bloomington, IN
Re: UC researchers awarded federal grant to examine the effects of ecstasy use in young adults [Re: danlennon3]
    #11277922 - 10/19/09 02:52 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

They're probably going to rely (like most drug studies) on the drug user's "history of use" and the assumption that just because someone likes to take Ecstasy, what they're ingesting is MDMA and MDMA only. This is deeply flawed considering many drug users use more than one substance, and most "Ecstasy" contains adulterants, if MDMA at all... The FDA/DEA needs to loosen research restrictions on this substance so that we can get a better perception of what the EXACT effects are.

--------------------
:heartpump: { { { ṧ◎ηḯ¢ αʟ¢ℌ℮мƴ } } } :heartpump:

Offlinelearningtofly
Ancient Aliens
Male

Loc: Out of this world
Re: UC researchers awarded federal grant to examine the effects of ecstasy use in young adults [Re: Adamist]
    #11278111 - 10/19/09 03:24 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Ecstasy, a man-made drug that is part hallucinogen and part stimulant, affects the serotonin system. Users report a sense of euphoria and increased sensation, as ecstasy brings on a rush of serotonin levels. "People tend not to be daily or even regular users. They'll plan for it, perhaps for a special occasion," Medina says.

holy crap something that isn't lies

--------------------

Offlinebongoboy2000
Bongoboy2000
Male
Loc: Seattle
Re: UC researchers awarded federal grant to examine the effects of ecstasy use in young adults [Re: learningtofly]
    #11278270 - 10/19/09 03:55 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

the study has a nice ring to it, but it's total BS. Of course it's going to be tailored to result in "proof" that MDMA disrupts brain development; they clearly said it in the article.

Quote:

They say they're researching an understudied area, as they narrow in on how ecstasy use leads to consequences in brain structure and cognition.

Quote:

Medina says ecstasy use continues to be a major public health problem among adolescents and young adults. The researchers want their findings to aid biologically-based treatments for drug users.

:foreheadslap: this is hardly science. keep trying...

--------------------
...I got nothin..

Invisiblebuddhabadger
Evil Overlord

Loc: The Forest
Re: UC researchers awarded federal grant to examine the effects of ecstasy use in young adults [Re: bongoboy2000]
    #11278321 - 10/19/09 04:03 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Have to agree with Bongoby... it sounds like they've already come to a conclusion and want to find data to fit it.

--------------------
- I don't abuse drugs; in fact, I think I treat them quite nicely. -

OfflineELECTIC
Stranger
Re: UC researchers awarded federal grant to examine the effects of ecstasy use in young adults [Re: buddhabadger]
    #11278399 - 10/19/09 04:17 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

the word bias doesnt even do this "study" justice, its going to verify that mdma eats away your brain and drips fluid on ur spinal cord oh yea and it will kill u after the first use or if u touch it

OfflineLSDreamer
Materialist
Male

Re: UC researchers awarded federal grant to examine the effects of ecstasy use in young adults [Re: motaman]
    #11278651 - 10/19/09 04:58 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Yeah, this doesn't sound like an unbiased study at ALL.

--------------------

InvisibleDutchie3k
Psychic Drifter
Male

Loc: this hazy bubble, state o...
Re: UC researchers awarded federal grant to examine the effects of ecstasy use in young adults [Re: LSDreamer]
    #11281273 - 10/19/09 11:14 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Well the fact is that any amphetamine (MDMA), amphetamine-like, or stimulant compound of any kind is unhealthy.  Obviously the amount and frequency of use are very important though..

--------------------
"The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.  The others - the living - are those who pushed their control as far as they felt they could handle it, and then pulled back, or slowed down, or did whatever they had to when it came time to choose between Now and Later"

InvisibleCognitive_Shift
CS actual
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: UC researchers awarded federal grant to examine the effects of ecstasy use in young adults [Re: trip88]
    #11283186 - 10/20/09 10:28 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

trip88 said:
so im guessing that they will be usuing pure mdma? not an e-pill...

Nah, i heard they were using bart simpsons and transformers man.

--------------------
L'enfer est plein de bonnes volontés et désirs

OfflineAdamist
ℚṲℰϟ✞ЇѺℵ ℛ∃Åʟḯ†У
Male User Gallery

Re: UC researchers awarded federal grant to examine the effects of ecstasy use in young adults [Re: Dutchie3k]
    #11284547 - 10/20/09 02:13 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Dutchie3k said:
Well the fact is that any amphetamine (MDMA), amphetamine-like, or stimulant compound of any kind is unhealthy.  Obviously the amount and frequency of use are very important though..

Pretty much everything is unhealthy when you fail to use moderation.

--------------------

Invisibletrip88
EndOfTheWorldSurvivor

Re: UC researchers awarded federal grant to examine the effects of ecstasy use in young adults [Re: Cognitive_Shift]
    #11286253 - 10/20/09 06:17 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

thats kinda what i was getting at...so many tainted pills going around its not even worth of it...I would love an unbiased report on the the effects of both

Offlinethepwnzor

Loc: North East, USA
    #11287600 - 10/20/09 08:53 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

I encourage long-term, heavy MDMA users to get a CAT scan or fMRI - their brains will look like swiss cheese. It is a fact that MDMA kills neurons, which impairs cognitive functioning.

--------------------
"Dude, me 'n my best buddy squirted spore juice into the jars yesterday. Do you think we'll have enough mushrooms for a trip by the weekend? We really want to trip next weekend. Can I eat the cake? Will it make me high? How about if I make a tea out of the cake?" - German Kahuna

InvisibleCognitive_Shift
CS actual
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: UC researchers awarded federal grant to examine the effects of ecstasy use in young adults [Re: thepwnzor]
    #11287719 - 10/20/09 09:05 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

thepwnzor said:
I encourage long-term, heavy MDMA users to get a CAT scan or fMRI - their brains will look like swiss cheese. It is a fact that MDMA kills neurons, which impairs cognitive functioning.

Not true, not true and not true.  Thank you come again!

--------------------

OfflineCollegeGuy
Addict

Re: UC researchers awarded federal grant to examine the effects of ecstasy use in young adults [Re: Cognitive_Shift]
    #11288067 - 10/20/09 09:36 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Cognitive_Shift said:
Quote:

thepwnzor said:

Not true, not true and not true.  Thank you come again!

Well I'd have to say it does something and it's not good. I have seen what it does to people that eat to much. I'm not saying its the worst thing ever and will kill you but I know it's not going to do anything positive the way most people take it.

--------------------

All posts from this account do not contain any factual or real events only ones that could happen.

InvisibleCognitive_Shift
CS actual
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: UC researchers awarded federal grant to examine the effects of ecstasy use in young adults [Re: CollegeGuy]
    #11288211 - 10/20/09 09:48 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

CollegeGuy said:
Well I'd have to say it does something and it's not good. I have seen what it does to people that eat to much. I'm not saying its the worst thing ever and will kill you but I know it's not going to do anything positive the way most people take it.

Dude, too much of anything is bad.  Burgers, fries, video games... all this shit is not good when you use too much.

Pure MDMA is fucking amazing beyond all words.  Pour out powder, lick finger tip, stamp finger tip on powder, like finger tip.  Go see your favorite band.  best night ever.  i promise

--------------------

OfflineAdamist
ℚṲℰϟ✞ЇѺℵ ℛ∃Åʟḯ†У
Male User Gallery

Re: UC researchers awarded federal grant to examine the effects of ecstasy use in young adults [Re: thepwnzor]
    #11289173 - 10/20/09 11:43 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

thepwnzor said:

LOL... where do you get your scientific facts, a middle school DARE program?

Quote:

Cognitive_Shift said:
Dude, too much of anything is bad.  Burgers, fries, video games... all this shit is not good when you use too much.

Don't forget polluted air, water, food, etc... Even the things we REQUIRE for life will kill us nowadays, in excess and/or lack of purity (contaminants).
Certain necessary vitamins will cause massive, potentially fatal damage if too much is taken; and will do the same if none is!

My point is you can use MDMA responsibly if, most importantly, you're using PURE MDMA!
You should also take the necessary precautions such as using 5HTP supplements, vitamins, etc and keep your doses reasonable and infrequent.

I'm sick & tired of people pointing to E-tards that take any pill they get their hands on every weekend and say "Ecstasy damage is real! Look at that guy!"...
OF COURSE HE'S FUCKED UP; half the shit he's ingesting isn't even MDMA- plus he's not using any of the common sense required of a responsible drug user.

Stop blaming drugs!
Retarded people get MORE RETARDED on drugs...
It's not the drug, but the 'tard at fault.

:bucktoothfattygangsta:

--------------------

Offlinerexwayne
1.21 Jiggawatts

Loc: Norfolk , va - lame
Re: UC researchers awarded federal grant to examine the effects of ecstasy use in young adults [Re: Adamist]
    #11289796 - 10/21/09 01:38 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

molly FTW.

THIZZZZZZZZ>

--------------------
:dj:

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder