Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
InvisibleBridgeburner
Not spiritual at all.
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Researchers Create Smokeless Marijunana Device
    #6930690 - 05/17/07 03:29 PM (16 years, 10 months ago)

http://www.96rocksyou.com/cc-common/news/sections/newsarticle.html?feed=104673&article=2144201

A smokeless marijuana-vaporizing device delivers the same active therapeutic chemical as smoking marijuana, but without the harmful toxins, says a U.S. study.

A University of California, San Francisco research team looked at the effectiveness of a device that heats marijuana to a temperature of between 180 and 200 degrees C -- just short of combustion. Eighteen people were enrolled as inpatients for six days under supervision in the General Clinical Research Center at San Francisco General Hospital Medical Center.

The plasma concentrations of the active ingredient delta-9-tertrahydrocannibinol, or THC, were comparable at all strengths of marijuana between smoking and vaporization, according to the study published in the online issue of the journal Clinical Pharmacology and Therapeutics.

Using carbon monoxide as an indicator, there was virtually no exposure to harmful combustion products using the vaporizing device, study co-author Dr. Neal L. Benowitz, said in a statement.

Since it replicates smoking's efficiency at producing the desired THC effect using smaller amounts of THC, as opposed to pill forms, this device has great potential for improving the therapeutic utility of THC.

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblebadchad
Mad Scientist

Re: Researchers Create Smokeless Marijunana Device [Re: Bridgeburner]
    #6930726 - 05/17/07 03:37 PM (16 years, 10 months ago)

This study was funded by the National Institue of Health.

We all know that government funded studies on the effects of marijuana are nothing but biased propaganda.

--------------------
...the whole experience is (and is as) a profound piece of knowledge.  It is an indellible experience; it is forever known.  I have known myself in a way I doubt I would have ever occurred except as it did.

Smith, P.  Bull. Menninger Clinic (1959) 23:20-27; p. 27.

...most subjects find the experience valuable, some find it frightening, and many say that is it uniquely lovely.

Osmond, H.  Annals, NY Acad Science (1957) 66:418-434; p.436

OfflineApJunkie
part-time Ninja
Male

Loc: Loc:Loc:Loc:Loc:Loc:
Re: Researchers Create Smokeless Marijunana Device [Re: badchad]
    #6930743 - 05/17/07 03:44 PM (16 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

badchad said:

We all know that government funded studies on the effects of marijuana are nothing but biased propaganda.

uuhhh.... did you read what he posted? And have you ever used a vaporizer? The article was an accurate report of a vape, and calling it propoganda merely because it was sponsored by the Gov. is tremendously shorsighted.

OfflineMuufokfok
aka BoxyBrown
Male User Gallery

Loc: america's wang Flag
Re: Researchers Create Smokeless Marijunana Device [Re: ApJunkie]
    #6930767 - 05/17/07 03:52 PM (16 years, 10 months ago)

ive always wanted a marijuana inhaler, that would be sooooo cool

--------------------
"I'm guessing the 'ancient lost drug' of india is psychedelic mushrooms. The correlation between sacred cows (in hinduism) and magic mushrooms growing on cow dung is too strong to ignore, if you ask me."

As the ocean waves, the universe "peoples"
~Alan Watts~

Offlinehighdroponics
Professional Deadhead
Male User Gallery

Loc: Earth, Milky Way Galaxy Flag
Re: Researchers Create Smokeless Marijunana Device [Re: Muufokfok]
    #6930829 - 05/17/07 04:09 PM (16 years, 10 months ago)

vaporizers are alright, i just dont like them myself, i like getting full flavor when smoking pot, i stick to bowls myself, even though i know its still giving me some harmful chemicals, the taste is one of the main reasons i smoke it and smoking through a vaporizer tastes like inhaling soup steam or something, just not for me. great study though.

--------------------
Dr :ronpaul: says to stop trying to treat the side-effects of big government and focus on the core issues. End the Federal Reserve/audit the gold reserves at Fort Knox, abolish the IRS, end all wars and occupancies, stop the building of an empire that will inevitably fail, and cut all unconstitutional federal programs. Put the power back in the peoples' hands by ending this nanny-state.

Edited by highdroponics (05/17/07 04:10 PM)

Offlinepinky2totters
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Researchers Create Smokeless Marijunana Device [Re: highdroponics]
    #6930866 - 05/17/07 04:20 PM (16 years, 10 months ago)

How do you become a guinea pig for that experiment.

US: Hi, we're going to pay you six hundred dollars to smoke pot from a vaporizer. The only thing is that you have to log how your throat feels and how high you get.

ME: I'll do it.

OfflineDrise
Regnarts
 User Gallery

Loc: Underwater
Re: Researchers Create Smokeless Marijunana Device [Re: pinky2totters]
    #6930937 - 05/17/07 04:41 PM (16 years, 10 months ago)

What the hell? Researchers create it? Vapes have been around forever.

--------------------
"It is only once we've lost everything, we are free to do anything."

Everything I think, say, or do is fictional

InvisibleSaRah037
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Researchers Create Smokeless Marijunana Device [Re: Drise]
    #6930947 - 05/17/07 04:44 PM (16 years, 10 months ago)

Edited by SaRah037 (01/16/09 07:31 PM)

Offlineeyesoftheworld
ૐ नमः शिवाय
Male User Gallery

#6930962 - 05/17/07 04:49 PM (16 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

highdroponics said:
vaporizers are alright, i just dont like them myself, i like getting full flavor when smoking pot, i stick to bowls myself, even though i know its still giving me some harmful chemicals, the taste is one of the main reasons i smoke it and smoking through a vaporizer tastes like inhaling soup steam or something, just not for me. great study though.

Vaporizing is the only method that has given me the full taste of the bud I'm smoking at the time. You're not burning anything and it just tastes like straight bud.

--------------------
:deemsters:

OfflineSebastian23
Stranger
Male

Loc: Bay
Re: Researchers Create Smokeless Marijunana Device [Re: eyesoftheworld]
    #6931020 - 05/17/07 05:08 PM (16 years, 10 months ago)

This article demonstrates the epitome of the government's beaurocratic system being a shambles, moving developmentally at a speed comparible to a land bound hippopotamus, with a broken back leg; the hippopotamus reaching it's destination meaning total understanding of the truth, and the broken back leg symbolizing the hand of special interest and outside control holding the truth back.

How can scientists dare create their own, crappy vaporizer, when the best vaporizer, Volcano, is already at hand? That strikes me as completely irrational and boring.

I'm high.

--------------------
"If the words 'life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness' don't include the right to experiment
with your own consciousness, then the Declaration of Independence isn't worth the hemp
it was written on."
-Terence McKenna
Marijuana Myths Debunked

InvisibleAcyl
cyanidepoisoning
Male User Gallery

Loc: N.W.T.
Re: Researchers Create Smokeless Marijunana Device [Re: eyesoftheworld]
    #6931145 - 05/17/07 05:40 PM (16 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

eyesoftheworld said:
Quote:

highdroponics said:

Vaporizing is the only method that has given me the full taste of the bud I'm smoking at the time. You're not burning anything and it just tastes like straight bud.

Yeah, I always thought it tasted much better vapourized...

--------------------
:scrambled:

1 ,2

OfflineDrewwyann
Slayer of ticks
Male User Gallery

Loc: Atlantis
Re: Researchers Create Smokeless Marijunana Device [Re: Sebastian23]
    #6931219 - 05/17/07 06:03 PM (16 years, 10 months ago)

"This article demonstrates the epitome of the government's beaurocratic system being a shambles, moving developmentally at a speed comparible to a land bound hippopotamus, with a broken back leg"

:lol:

--------------------

Anyone need a glass pipe? : http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100002435158931

Love powerfully :peace::heart::peace:

InvisibleCowgold
Bullshit

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: .
    #6931430 - 05/17/07 06:50 PM (16 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

ApJunkie said:
Quote:

badchad said:

uuhhh.... did you read what he posted? And have you ever used a vaporizer? The article was an accurate report of a vape, and calling it propoganda merely because it was sponsored by the Gov. is tremendously shorsighted.

uuhhh... did you read what badchad said? He didn't call it propaganda.

Quote:

Sebastian23 said:

How can scientists dare create their own, crappy vaporizer, when the best vaporizer, Volcano, is already at hand? That strikes me as completely irrational and boring.

I'm high.

I bet it was a Volcano. They probably avoided branding the article to retain some credibility on an already taboo subject. Researchers??? More like Storz & Bickels' inventors?

Invisiblebadchad
Mad Scientist

Re: Researchers Create Smokeless Marijunana Device [Re: Cowgold]
    #6931704 - 05/17/07 08:02 PM (16 years, 10 months ago)

Okay, I must admit that my first post was entirely sarcastic.

My point was that the National Institute of Health (which funded the study) is the same government institution that funds manyof the other "evil" studies on marijuana claiming it may have detrimental effects.

Research (especially human research) will always have inherent weaknesses. However, a particula weakness (in any study) doesn't necessarily indicate it is "biased evil propaganda".

For instance, in this particular study I would be curious to see how many exposures each participant was subject to. It will also (more than likely) list the source of the vaporizer if it was commercially purchased.

--------------------
...the whole experience is (and is as) a profound piece of knowledge.  It is an indellible experience; it is forever known.  I have known myself in a way I doubt I would have ever occurred except as it did.

...most subjects find the experience valuable, some find it frightening, and many say that is it uniquely lovely.

Invisiblefastfred
Old Hand
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Dark side of the moon
Re: Researchers Create Smokeless Marijunana Device [Re: badchad]
    #6933407 - 05/18/07 05:16 AM (16 years, 10 months ago)

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/05/070515151145.htm
Quote:

Marijuana Vaporizer Provides Same Level Of THC, Fewer Toxins, Study Shows

Science Daily — A smokeless cannabis-vaporizing device delivers the same level of active therapeutic chemical and produces the same biological effect as smoking cannabis, but without the harmful toxins, according to University of California San Francisco researchers.

Results of a UCSF study, which focuses on delivery of the active ingredient delta-9-tertrahydrocannibinol, or THC, are reported in the online issue of the journal "Clinical Pharmacology and Therapeutics."

"We showed in a recent paper in the journal 'Neurology' that smoked cannabis can alleviate the chronic pain caused by HIV-related neuropathy, but a concern was expressed that smoking cannabis was not safe. This study demonstrates an alternative method that gives patients the same effects and allows controlled dosing but without inhalation of the toxic products in smoke," said study lead author Donald I. Abrams, MD, UCSF professor of clinical medicine.

The research team looked at the effectiveness of a device that heats cannabis to a temperature between 180 and 200 degrees C, just short of combustion, which occurs at 230 degrees C. Eighteen individuals were enrolled as inpatients for six days under supervision in the General Clinical Research Center at San Francisco General Hospital Medical Center.

Under the study protocol, the participants received on different days three different strengths of cannabis by two delivery methods--smoking or vaporization--three times a day.

Plasma concentrations of THC were measured along with the exhaled levels of carbon monoxide, or CO. A toxic gas, CO served as a marker for the many other combustion-generated toxins inhaled when smoking. The plasma concentrations of THC were comparable at all strengths of cannabis between smoking and vaporization. Smoking increased CO levels as expected, but there was little or no increase in CO levels after inhaling from the vaporizer, according to Abrams.

"Using CO as an indicator, there was virtually no exposure to harmful combustion products using the vaporizing device. Since it replicates smoking's efficiency at producing the desired THC effect using smaller amounts of the active ingredient as opposed to pill forms, this device has great potential for improving the therapeutic utility of THC," said study co-author Neal L. Benowitz, MD, UCSF professor of medicine, psychiatry and biopharmaceutical sciences. He added that pills tend to provide patients with more THC than they need for optimal therapeutic effect and increase side effects.

Patients rated the "high" they experienced from both smoking and vaporization and there was no difference between the two methods by patient self-report of the effect, according to study findings. In addition, patients were asked which method they preferred.

"By a significant majority, patients preferred vaporization to smoking, choosing the route of delivery with the fewest side effects and greatest efficiency," said Benowitz.

Co-authors include Cheryl A. Jay, MD, UCSF neurology; and Starley B. Shade, MPH; Hector Vizoso, RN; and Mary Ellen Kelly, MPH, UCSF Positive Health Program at San Francisco General Hospital Medical Center.

The study was funded by the University of California's Center for Medicinal Cannabis Research.

Note: This story has been adapted from a news release issued by University of California - San Francisco.

Invisiblefastfred
Old Hand
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Researchers Create Smokeless Marijunana Device [Re: fastfred]
    #6933410 - 05/18/07 05:17 AM (16 years, 10 months ago)

The study was funded by the University of California's Center for Medicinal Cannabis Research.

Under the study protocol, the participants received on different days three different strengths of cannabis by two delivery methods--smoking or vaporization--three times a day.

Invisiblebadchad
Mad Scientist

Re: Researchers Create Smokeless Marijunana Device [Re: fastfred]
    #6934004 - 05/18/07 09:57 AM (16 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

fastfred said:

And NIH Grant 5-MO1-RR00083.

In any event, the original article's title is misleading, the authors didn't claim to invent anything. They simply looked at some of the properties between regualr smoking and vaporization.

They did in fact, use a Volcano Vaporizer.

--------------------

OfflineApJunkie
part-time Ninja
Male

#6934324 - 05/18/07 11:11 AM (16 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Cowgold said:
Quote:

ApJunkie said:
Quote:

badchad said:

We all know that government funded studies on the effects of marijuana  are nothing but biased propaganda.

uuhhh... did you read what badchad said?  He didn't call it propaganda.

:wtf:

Edited by ApJunkie (05/18/07 11:11 AM)

InvisibleCowgold
Bullshit

Folding@home Statistics
    #6934378 - 05/18/07 11:24 AM (16 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

badchad said:

You seriously thought he was being literal.  :lol:

OfflineRoosterCogburn
Fearless,one-eyed U.S.Marshall
Male User Gallery

Loc: Dirty South, NJ
    #6934411 - 05/18/07 11:32 AM (16 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

highdroponics said:

Have you used a Volcano? Or some home made POS lightbulb bullshit?

I have no idea how you claim to enjoy "full flavor" when burning weed REDUCES the flavor. The flame burns away most of the flavor... You are tasting tar and ash with some flavor from the parts of the bowl that didn't get napalmed.

With a perfect Volcano hit, you can taste and smell the true essence of the herb... with all the essential oils and shit NOT completely incinerated into cancerous ash.

Your statement is highly illogical. :shrug:

At least you use a bowl... they are still better than joints and WAY better than blunts if you REALLY enjoy the natural flavor of bud.

OfflineApJunkie
part-time Ninja
Male

#6934431 - 05/18/07 11:37 AM (16 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Cowgold said:
Quote:

badchad said:

You seriously thought he was being literal.  :lol:

Of course I did, because in 99.9% of cases, what he said is sadly correct.

Invisiblefastfred
Old Hand
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #6935918 - 05/18/07 06:54 PM (16 years, 10 months ago)

> I have no idea how you claim to enjoy "full flavor" when burning weed REDUCES the flavor.

Ha! That's like someone who hates beer saying that bud light is the best beer because it has no flavor and tastes like garden hose piss-water.

> At least you use a bowl... they are still better than joints and WAY better than blunts if you REALLY enjoy the natural flavor of bud.

Thanks for telling us how we should smoke our weed. It's a good thing we have experts like you around to make sure we don't screw up and actually get a nice thick rich hit.

InvisibleCowgold
Bullshit

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Researchers Create Smokeless Marijunana Device [Re: RoosterCogburn]
    #6936213 - 05/18/07 08:36 PM (16 years, 10 months ago)

I prefer the volcano to anything I've smoked from.  It's smoother healthier and it tastes better.  Plus, I don't have phlem.  Best way to 'smoke for a non-smoker, imo.  :cheers:

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale