Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineBobDobalina
Stranger

Nice hunt today...MUST have gyms I think
    #11150301 - 09/29/09 12:41 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

I don't want to count my chickens before the eggs hatch, but I do seriously think I have some big laughing gyms on my hands now :smile:

Here are some pics from the hunt, I'm not asking for an ID req on each one, most are simply for your viewing pleasure. I do want to know if the BLG looking shrooms are BLG's though if anyone can tell.
Thanks!

#1 Appeared to be a laughing gym cluster at first, but looking closely that looks like a white spore print it dropped on a leaf

#2 Same log, shows a pin forming...I'm doubtful these are laughers

#3 Same log

#5 Some wild deer on a log

#6 Lutes maybe?

#7 Gills from one in #6, I did take one of these home

#8 Found this growing on the GROUND near the stump, there were a shitload of these but I didn't think gymns grew from the ground

#9 Gills on #8

Here's the patch that #8 came from

#10 Possible BLG's, none of these 3 taken

#11 Another gymn was already picked / removed and had a pin growing on it. 

#12 Habitat shot of what I believe are the two active gymns in PA (lutes and spectabilis aka BLGs), I took samples from both clusters with me

#13 My hopes at owning laughing gyms (I took this cluster home with me to dry)

#16 Some kind of amanita...can I amaneat it or will I die?

and two random mushroom patches

PS - I have a rough estimate of where each of those spots are in the park so please feel free to point out which #'s may be worth going back to check on :smile: 

Edited by BobDobalina (09/29/09 01:13 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblekoraks
Re: Nice hunt today...MUST have gyms I think [Re: BobDobalina]
    #11150336 - 09/29/09 12:50 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

I do see some gyms that could very well be active ones. I also see some honey mushrooms and amanitas though, among others, so be careful.

InvisibleKBG1977
Re: Nice hunt today...MUST have gyms I think [Re: koraks]
    #11150347 - 09/29/09 12:53 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Nice Mr Dobalina Mr Bob Dobalina:wink:

Invisiblekoraks
Re: Nice hunt today...MUST have gyms I think [Re: KBG1977]
    #11150365 - 09/29/09 12:56 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Takes you back, doesn't it?

InvisibleKBG1977
Re: Nice hunt today...MUST have gyms I think [Re: koraks]
    #11152339 - 09/29/09 06:29 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Hell yeah,Del is the shit,for rap music:grin:

InvisiblesporeRider
Proud sporeRider :)
 User Gallery

Loc: usa Flag
Re: Nice hunt today...MUST have gyms I think [Re: KBG1977]
    #11152449 - 09/29/09 06:44 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Nice finds bro - !!:super:
You've got some beautifull luteus

All of your finds look like g luteus

I've only got 2spots now where i believe the gyms are true BLG (spectabilis)
These locations fruit off of the ground which is a bog stump , also having multiple live and dead trees from it.....my sig pic is what id say are BLGyms
They also grow Very Densly Clustered -

compared to slightly clustered luteus which i find only on fallen rotten logs
( i give credit to Danny Glick for pointing out the diff to me)) Thanks :thumbup:

Don't forget your logs- the luteus will be back at least twice a summer - same time and same place - the easiest species for me to time fruits!! - Awesome Finds

--------------------
http://

OfflineBobDobalina
Stranger

Re: Nice hunt today...MUST have gyms I think [Re: sporeRider]
    #11153511 - 09/29/09 09:14 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

wiscokid said:
Nice finds bro - !!:super:
You've got some beautifull luteus

Don't forget your logs- the luteus will be back at least twice a summer - same time and same place - the easiest species for me to time fruits!! - Awesome Finds

Thanks man, your post the other day actually inspired me to go out hunting so your knowledge helped at least 1 other member if it means anything to you :laugh:
I had been looking all summer for actives in PA but after researching I found that the only common actives here are gym lutes and spectabilis...both fruiting only in the fall (I think...found none during the hot summer months). I forgot about it for some time until I saw your beauties and their growth progress.  I took your advice of watering the babies and taking only what was needed for my first trial, but will be back with update shots etc.  They were indeed growing in small clusters on a fallen log, so I am almost confident enough to start nibbling :mushroom2:

I harvested the biggest one in #6, you can see it on the right in #7 and it dropped nice rust colored spores. 
I also harvested everything in #13, my lucky number :eek: but I'm just puzzled by the "gym juice" I see on the gills.

Which one do you think would be safer to consume and do you have any suggestions on dosage wet/dry or prep methods?  I've heard tea was good to avoid stomach problems but nothing about dose.

And finally...check out #8 the patch shot, there were probably 30 of these mushrooms but I didn't grab any since they didn't come from a log.  I was wondering if they were even gyms because you can see the mycelium in #8 poking out of the ground, uncharacteristic of lutes

--------------------
Check out my original artwork here
http://www.redbubble.com/people/BobDobalina

OfflineIcelandicSojourn
Monist in Training
Male

Loc: Valleys of the Natives
    #11153556 - 09/29/09 09:22 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Bob, it looks kinda like a Gym, but I think we need a better photo to be sure.  You can also check for Gym signatures like scaly cap and rusty orange spore prints.  These are essential, esp. the print (but there are also Deadly Galerina which you should familiarize yourself with).  Gyms can grow from wood underneath the ground which makes it appear they're growing from the ground.  This often occurs just away from a tree stump or with lots of wood debris like you have in that photo.  Best to be on the safe side so you got the right idea.

--------------------
Ne me parlez plus de politique
Je veux sauver ma vie    :peace:

Edited by IcelandicSojourn (09/29/09 09:24 PM)

InvisibleDannyGlick

#11153561 - 09/29/09 09:23 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

6,10, 11, 12, and 13 are Gymnopilus luteus.

OfflineIcelandicSojourn
Monist in Training
Male

Re: Nice hunt today...MUST have gyms I think [Re: DannyGlick]
    #11153575 - 09/29/09 09:25 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Btw, I love image #11.

--------------------

InvisiblesporeRider
 User Gallery

#11154280 - 09/29/09 11:24 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Makes me happy that i inspired you to go gym hunting!!!:thumbup:

Note: - i don't think your #8 & #9 are gyms!!
- habitat seems off - though they could be growing off of buried wood ( ive seen a pic on here of em growing outa healthy lawn with wood buried under)

- they don't seem ( from what i can see in the pics ) to have a "Persistantly High Annulus" !!! - This is a checkpoint for gyms ( your other pics look right on!!)

- Check them for the spicy smell - and bitter taste - and be sure to get a sporeprint of them next to your other luteus

- The "Gill Juice" is just condensation dripping off those huge gills and collecting spores - its ok

- When dried try 10 - 15gr for moderately intense time
- for tea try and use 25gr per dose and just boil in water with Lots of honey and cinnimon
- the finished tea will be super sweet n tasty with just a gym spicy smell and even the fruits will be soft and not bitter

Enjoy !:super:

--------------------

OfflineBobDobalina
Stranger

#11155299 - 09/30/09 04:33 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

They should call you the gym king or something haha.

I appreciate the advice, I'm glad (sort of) to confirm that the ground cluster wasn't a gym. I only brought back samples of the lutes you see in #12, so I have some faith in my gym ID'ing skills now.  I'm currently pulling an all nighter studying but after tomorrows exam I'm going to do a bioassay of this spectacular rustgill, but I just wonder a few more things before ingesting.

Sorry for more questions, but you've been extremely helpful so far I might as well rest my puzzlements.

- Do I wash the mushrooms at any step of the process?  As in rinse with water etc?

- Could I dry them in the oven at a low temp?  I've had them under my bed on cardboard for 2 days but they aren't getting much drier

- I wonder about an extraction...there is a general psilocybin extraction guide on shroomery http://www.shroomery.org/6274/Mushroom-Extract however I hear gyms are different and may not contain psilocybin...but maybe the alcohol would extract the actives anyway.  Worth testing.

and finally...

- I've done a amanita tea before, and it had no effect other than horrible taste.  I wonder if I killed the active ingredient w/ heat or if BB sent me bad mushrooms, anyway....to my point.  I was wondering do I boil water, then take it off heat, add mushrooms / honey / cinnamon and let it steep (off heat) for X minutes?
OR do I leave it on the stove boiling for X minutes with all the shit in it?  I did the 2nd to the amanita tea so thats why I wonder...also wondering what your suggested X num of minutes would be.

--------------------

InvisiblesporeRider
 User Gallery

#11155470 - 09/30/09 06:00 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

i wouldn't bother really washing gyms - just pick off debris fresh - its alot easier
For tea im no expert - i always have a bunch of gyms - so i just throw a bunch in hot water and Low Boil for about 45min - adding honey and cinnamon whenever you can -

You should always dry your finds by multiple fans - gyms rot very easily being so big
Try n get em as dry as you can as fast as you can- rotten ones aren't too safe for consumption!!

Enjoy n goodluck studying :thumbup:

--------------------

OfflineBobDobalina
Stranger

#11156064 - 09/30/09 09:38 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

wiscokid said:
i wouldn't bother really washing gyms - just pick off debris fresh - its alot easier
For tea im no expert - i always have a bunch of gyms - so i just throw a bunch in hot water and Low Boil for about 45min - adding honey and cinnamon whenever you can -

You should always dry your finds by multiple fans - gyms rot very easily being so big
Try n get em as dry as you can as fast as you can- rotten ones aren't too safe for consumption!!

Enjoy n goodluck studying :thumbup:

Thanks, I just set up a fan under my bed, do they discolor when they rot?  Mine look a little more rust colored than before, it's been like 2 days sitting w/ no circulation.  Can you dry them fast in the oven or something similar?

And finally...it sounds like you eat the mushroom parts after cooking the tea, are there still actives hiding in there or would it be possible to just filter an drink the liquid? 

Back to studying ^.^ 3 hours to go

--------------------

OfflineIcelandicSojourn
Monist in Training
Male

#11156742 - 09/30/09 12:17 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Thanks, I just set up a fan under my bed, do they discolor when they rot?  Mine look a little more rust colored than before, it's been like 2 days sitting w/ no circulation.  Can you dry them fast in the oven or something similar?

Gyms discolor greatly--dark reds and blacks or if you're lucky blue/green.  I don't think you'd want to dry them FAST in the oven.  I'm not sure there's a temp I can recommend.  Wisco might know.

Quote:

And finally...it sounds like you eat the mushroom parts after cooking the tea, are there still actives hiding in there or would it be possible to just filter an drink the liquid?

You CAN filter them.  I don't think you'd be sacrificing much (correct me if I'm wrong), but after boiling for the length that Wisco mentioned, they solid chunks aren't going to taste much different than the rest of the brew I would guess.  If you strain, do it through a cloth or old t-shirt and squeeze all the liquid out.

Good luck.

--------------------

OfflineBobDobalina
Stranger

Re: Nice hunt today...MUST have gyms I think [Re: IcelandicSojourn]
    #11157547 - 09/30/09 02:21 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Preparing some tea with the largest gym in #6 atm after owning that probability test.  I plan on keeping a small sample of the mushroom to take to the ER should anything go wrong :confused:

I don't think this is that heavy dry, if I had to guess I'd say between 3.5 to 7 grams.  Will that be enough to at least feel some effects?  I know if its like 2 hours into it and I'm not tripping I'll probably freak the fuck out thinking they were poisonous.

--------------------

Offlinecyanophilus
ectosporium

Loc: Bay Area, CA
Trusted Identifier
    #11157775 - 09/30/09 02:51 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

u probably wont feel too much, so dont flip out, cause they arent poisonous

OfflineBobDobalina
Stranger

Re: Nice hunt today...MUST have gyms I think [Re: cyanophilus]
    #11157820 - 09/30/09 02:57 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Well I heard there's a deadly look alike that eats away at you for like a week and you feel nothing until its too late and your internals are leaking...

But maybe in PA there aren't that many look alikes...I know these aren't jack-o-lanterns.

Is there any kind of easily available test I could run to determine they are definitely gyms? I am anxious to try them but I'm very concerned of the consequences of a mistake.

--------------------

OfflineAlan RockefellerM
Mycologist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #11158095 - 09/30/09 03:54 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Post better pictures of the suspected Gymnopilus and check for a bitter taste.

Take good macro photos before and after you pick the mushrooms.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract