Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Paul Stamets

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineUde
immaculate
Loc: MT
Now I Have Pics, blueing gym, possibly aeruginosus
    #1993051 - 10/09/03 01:26 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Yesterday I went on a little walk in the hills near Bozeman Montana, and found a little somethin somethin. Growing in a grassy boggy area , on decaying alder detritus, was a cluster of some type of Gymnopilus. I looked over the mushies, not realiszing their potential at first. Then, I noticed a green ish tint to them. Hmmm, maybe just some mold, I thought. Bukt as I looked closer I noticed the blueing was coming from within. Wow, I thought, a blueing gymnopilus. I've found G. Spectabilis around my area, but never a a blueing gym. So I took som pics of the cluster, and picked one mushroom that was seperate from the main four that were fruiting sub-cespitosely. The dryness has made mushies scarce in my area, so I didn't want to hurt this amazing pilocybian gym find. I took the pics with a regular camera , so I have to wait for the film to develop, and I scanned some images of the mush onto my computer, and tried to upload it . It said I had an error and had reach ed my upload capacity. So I will try again tomorrow. The scans turned out wonderfully and you can see the amazing bluing reaction. I beleive them to be Gymnopilus aeruginosus. However there are slight differences between my gym and the descriptions of aeruginosus. My gym had a very solid inner stem. Stamets says that the mature specimines stem hollows out. there is a chance this is a new species. I won't go into detail describing it as you can view it tomorrow. Hopefully later on , in a few weeks , more rain comes by, and creates more of these beautiful sacred mushrooms. I am going to try and grow these mushies from a spore print. If anyone on this community wants a gill fragment for complete identification, pm me.

Ude

Edited by Ude (10/10/03 01:39 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineUde
immaculate
Re: blueing gym, possibly aeruginosus [Re: Ude]
    #1996729 - 10/10/03 12:28 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Here are the blue gym pictures i promised. You can get a pretty good idea that it is a gym, from the pics. Once I get my film developed from my camera, I will have good pics of these guys in the wild. The cap fell apart on my, when I put it in the scanner.
Some details abou this mushroom.

cap: salmon pinkish , with hints of yellow in places, and blueish green bruising when touched and handeled. Cap started out with a greenish spot in the center, and som slight greenish hues elsewhere, but the blueing intensified greatly as time went on. Cap is 4 inches in diameter. Cap slightly scaly upon drying, and slightly hygrophanous. Younger cpaps had incurved margins, and were convex. However, mine is broadly convex, upturned, and slightly wavy along margin. I'm assuming with age, those caps open up more, like mine.

gills: Pinkish orange, attatched, yet tore away from the stem. The gills blued heavily, like the rest of the mushroom.

Stem: Fairly white, with some slight pink tones, and at first just a slight greenish right at base. somewhat tough fibrillous outer stem, but very fleshy and pinkish inside. No annular zone noticed, which is odd, considering aeruginosus, has a fibrillose annular zone. Stem bluised a solid blue within a day. Inner stem has remained somewhat white, with hints of blueing.

Sporeprint: Orangeish red.

this is the gym today, 3 days after picking. Notice the amazing blueing on the stem

This is a top view of the cap. Yes, I know it is a little broken up, but it gives a pretty good vibe of gymnopilus.

This images shows the mushroom 1 day after picked. You can see the strong bluing on the gills, and stem, and the orangeish pink of gills and flesh.

I'm probably going to head out today and see if there are more fruiting up the canyon. It's been relatively wet, and I feel the need to check it out. Besides, I want to try these guys out pretty bad. I have a feeling they might be pretty potent, for gyms. Anyway, this place is awesome. I'm new heere and love it. Very well laid out, cool people, and extremely easy to use. I'm gonna go toke up, and expect some comments when I get bakck, hahahaha.Thanks .

Ude

OfflineUde
immaculate
    #1997192 - 10/10/03 02:53 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Also, does anyone know about dosage amount on the more potent gyms. My gym, would probably be equal to a little more than an eighth, when dried. Probably 4 to 4.5 grams. Just a speculation. I am curious to see if I can get a slight trip, off this mushroom. Some comments from some of the masters would be great, and if someone could confirm that this is in fact a gymnopilus. Also, if anyone else has found active gyms, some reports would be great.

Ude

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
    #1997211 - 10/10/03 02:59 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Those fragments look like they could be Gymnopilus aeruginosus. Your description fits reasonably well. Hesler's monograph states that the species has an "apical evanescent zone", so not finding one is not a problem.

Show us some photos of whole specimens! In the wild, if possible.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

OfflineDannyKindbuds
Drunkenite
 User Gallery

Loc: Buford GA
Re: blueing gym, possibly aeruginosus [Re: ToxicMan]
    #4574250 - 08/24/05 11:15 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

The trip is very clean and light on the mind, but so much must be consumed most people I know never trip hard off gyms, there more of a spiritual filler for dishes we cook. We eat them with food allot to have the spiritual effects of Psilocybin on a more regular basis without having a religious experience as with most heavy trips

... and 4.5 grams prolly wont do shit, you might feel calm and enlightened, but no trip. (unless your a light w8, heh)

--------------------
respect, not just consume

-Dann K. Buds

Offlinehot48yearolds
Dharmakaya
Male User Gallery
Loc: lazy river road
Re: blueing gym, possibly aeruginosus [Re: DannyKindbuds]
    #4574298 - 08/24/05 11:34 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

I would just dry them and save them to mix with some cubies or more gyms later. Nice finds

--------------------
"Truth is more in the process than in the result."
- J. Krishnamurti

"We ourselves are not an illusory part of Reality; rather are we Reality itself illusorily conceived." Wei Wu Wei

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Paul Stamets

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification