Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinemtglu
Hundredaire

Loc: California
First timer with Invitro/Neglect Tek Questions
    #1108404 - 12/03/02 09:45 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Okay, I'm a first time grower, and after thoroughly reading about PF Tek, and understanding it, I saw the Invitro/Neglect Tek and realized this would fit my needs perfectly.  I'm not interested in quantity... yet.  At this point I just want to grow some mushrooms for me and couple friends.  Anyone who has tried this or has any advice would be greatly appreciated.  I have a couple (understatement alert!) of questions about both the Invitro Tek, and the incubation phase that it shares with the PF Tek.  Even if you just answered a few that would be lovely.  Here we go....

1. Is it absolutely necessary for an alcohol lighter to sterilize the spore syringe, or can I get by with a Bic?...That's just one less little thing to worry about.
2. I've seen several methods for inoculation, some saying you need several layers of foil, and the syringe should only touch the inner layer, and some say that I should just remove the tape and inoculate away.  What do you recommend?
3. After inoculation, how should they be covered?  Just tape?  Tape + foil? Tape + foil + tea cozy?
4. I'm going to start with most likely 24 cakes, for the inoculation stage, can they just be kept in cardboard boxes, or do they need more light?  At what point should they start getting light? 
5. I've heard many different theories on temperature, can I just assume I'll be okay at a good room temperature for most of the growth? (With maybe a little extra heat after they start pinning?)
6. How much maintenance is required?  It seems that until they start pinning and growing a bit, there's very little I can do to help them other than remove the ones that are contaminated. 
7. I know that in the PF Tek, the little baby shroomies in the terrarium need large amounts of water in the air to keep them going, what should I do to help them once they start pinning and growing in the jar?  Do I need to add water?  Untape the holes/take off the cover to give them air?
8. How will I know when the shrooms are ready to be harvested?  I figure I'll just wait till I see the caps open up, or if they turn dark, but I'm not sure in this area.
9. Any tips on the harvesting the shrooms, i.e. how to pull them off the cakes/how to handle the cakes for the most producitvity/no contamination?  I figured I'd use the dunk tek after each flush for max production.
10. After my first harvest, will I still need the dry vermiculite that was on top, or does it just become a part of the mycelium growth?
11. What is the risk of contamination after 100% growth/removing the cakes to harvest them?  Also, how can I tell if the shrooms themselves are contaminated if everything else appears fine?  Or is that really really unlikely?
12. Why the hell are mushrooms so much fun?

Thank you soooo much for any help on answering any of the questiions above, it's really appreciated.  :smile: 

--------------------
" I think Pringles' initial intention was to make tennis balls. But on the day that the rubber was supposed to show up, a big truckload of potatoes arrived. But Pringles is a laid-back company. They said "Fuck it. Cut em up." "

-Mitch Hedberg

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinesocratesmind
old hand

Loc: in your house :)
Re: First timer with Invitro/Neglect Tek Questions [Re: mtglu]
    #1108409 - 12/03/02 09:47 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

read the FAQ all your answers are there. thats too many ?'s to answer im lazy :/

--------------------
Prohibition will work great injury to the cause of temperance. It is a species of intemperance within itself, for it goes beyond the bounds of reason in that it attempts to control a man's appetite by legislation, and makes a crime out of things that are not crimes. A Prohibition law strikes a blow at the very principles upon which our government was founded.
- Abraham Lincoln: Speech in the Illinois House of Representatives, Dec 18, 1840.

OfflineAngry Mycologist
Spontaneouslycombusting

Loc: Galapagos
    #1108433 - 12/03/02 09:59 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

In reply to:

1. Is it absolutely necessary for an alcohol lighter to sterilize the spore syringe, or can I get by with a Bic?...That's just one less little thing to worry about.

I'm not entirely sure about this. I used an alcohol flame to be safe. It's very easy. Just get a shot glass, turn it over, pour some rubbing alcohol in the basin, then light. Wallah!
In reply to:

2. I've seen several methods for inoculation, some saying you need several layers of foil, and the syringe should only touch the inner layer, and some say that I should just remove the tape and inoculate away. What do you recommend?

I used only one layer of foil and the oven tek. No contams. I highly recommend captain's oven tek.
In reply to:

3. After inoculation, how should they be covered? Just tape? Tape + foil? Tape + foil + tea cozy?

Once again, I only used foil.

All of your questions are answered in the FAQ on this site.

--------------------
The proper penalty of ignorance, which is of course that those who don't know should learn from those who do... - Plato

InvisibleSixCee
keep rolling
Male

Loc: US, Chicago
Re: First timer with Invitro/Neglect Tek Questions [Re: Angry Mycologist]
    #1108538 - 12/03/02 10:42 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

1. Bic lighter is fine.  After the flame wipe the needle with run=bbing alcohol soaked paper towel to cool it down so it doesnt kill the spores.

2. I dont understand what you're saying on this one.  Just stick the needle in into all of the four sides and a fifth into the center.

3. If you put up a top layer of vermiculite you dont need to cover your innoculation holes.

4. Read the FAQ for this one, they're not supposed to get any light during the incubation stage.  Unless it is around 83 degrees around where you live you cannot use a cardboard box.

5. Room temperature (mid 70s) is good for when you birth your jars.

6. How ever much you put in.

7. Use perlite.

8. When the caps open up.  It is said that mushrooms are most potent right when the veil breaks but I do not know if this is true.

9. Just twist at the stem and it will pop right out.

10. You'll still need it but I am uncertain on what you're saying.

11. It all depends on how you take care of them.

12. If you fail your first few grows you will learn to hate them with furious anger and spite.  :grin:

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
-->The above statements may or not be true.
->Quote of the Moment :
"Yea. All bitches are whores who love sex." -Cubie
----> PMs checked daily.

Offlinepixelscope
Merry Pranksta
Loc: your moms house
    #1108649 - 12/03/02 11:23 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

invitro,,in 1/2 pint jars is a waste of your time,no matter how much air,light,water they get,there not much room for growth,,if your going to go though the trouble of growing the puppys,,enjoy it,watch them grow out of the jar,there so beautiful,(not downing invitro i think it looks cool) but in 1/2 pint,,,almost a waste of good spores......

--------------------
To infinity and beyond

InvisibleIDontGrow
insomniac

#1108732 - 12/03/02 11:53 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

--------------------
work of fiction

http://www.thenook.org/

Offlinemtglu
Hundredaire

Loc: California
    #1108792 - 12/04/02 12:16 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Thanks very much for all your time and help, I really do appreciate it.. :smile:

--------------------
" I think Pringles' initial intention was to make tennis balls. But on the day that the rubber was supposed to show up, a big truckload of potatoes arrived. But Pringles is a laid-back company. They said "Fuck it. Cut em up." "

-Mitch Hedberg

OnlineDERRAYLD
Constructus
Male User Gallery

Loc: South Africa
Trusted Cultivator
    #28466275 - 09/12/23 09:52 AM (6 months, 2 days ago)

:leocheers:

Edited by DERRAYLD (09/12/23 01:46 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract