Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Contamination Forum

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleGreat_Cthulhu
enthusiast

Loc: R'lyeh
Mycelium piss inquiry?... and cubensis sclerotia?
    #1065305 - 11/19/02 06:36 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Theoritically... an aquantince has some pint jars going BRF/Verm GT strain. He/she is no newbie to the field. The jars have taken a considerable amount of time (month and a half now almost 2 months) to colonize due to the old fashioned PF tek being used this time without filter disks. It was noticed in a few of the jars up around the top with the (old) growth mycelium that has pulled away from the sides it seems to be exuding yellow beads of liquid..these beads stick to the mycelium like water droplets..and by all appearances are just that except they are yellow. They are almost sure this is just mycelium piss...but have never seen it this way before...beaded up on a cake...not like normal water damage that just colors the mycelium yellow. The cakes are otherwise healthy with rizomorphic growth...no odd smells. Perhaps the cake pulling from the sides stopped it from smearing onto the surface of the mycelium to make it appear as a normal wet spot? This IS mycelium urine..is it not?

Another inquiry...there would seem to be a few cakes that have what appears to be sclerotia. They understand that cubensis is not (normally?) a sclerotia producer..but that's exactly what these textured hard lumps of protruding mycelium appear to be. They are dense in structure and hard as rocks. They form on the surface between the mycelium and glass. They fan out in a circular form and pull from the cake's mycelium much like a mushroom would. The largest is about the size of a silver dollar and about 1/4 inch thick. They do not stain blue apparently but have that unmistakable shroom smell...some are tinted a little yellow from apparent water dmg. Upon drying they are brownish and hard as a rock. My aquantince has noticed this type of growth once before on an EQ pint cake(which later fruited normally through 4 flushes)..but this time several cakes are producing these structures.
Anyone have any experience with this type of growth before on cub. cakes? Perhaps it's just VERY dense mycelium growth caused by the extended encubation?

--------------------
"That is not dead which may eternal lie..and with strange eons even death may die."
Vote Great Cthulhu for President. Why vote for a lesser evil?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleGreat_Cthulhu
enthusiast

Loc: R'lyeh
Re: Mycelium piss inquiry?... and cubensis sclerotia? [Re: Great_Cthulhu]
    #1067309 - 11/19/02 08:57 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

I suppose I am correct since there are no replys.

--------------------
"That is not dead which may eternal lie..and with strange eons even death may die."
Vote Great Cthulhu for President. Why vote for a lesser evil?

OfflineNew Name
New Name, OldUser
Loc: ATL
Re: Mycelium piss inquiry?... and cubensis sclerot [Re: Great_Cthulhu]
    #1068173 - 11/20/02 01:01 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

I think a better answer would be that we have no idea. The yellow stuff sounds like mycelium piss but i have no idea about the other question. Maybe try asking it in the advanced forum.

--------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------
"I will tell a cop that I know my fucking rights and we can match wits all night" -311
Don't let the cops search you. Let them know that you care about your rights.

OfflineMAIA
World-BridgerKartikeya (DftS)
Male User Gallery

Loc: Erra - 20 Tauri - M45 Sta...
Re: Mycelium piss inquiry?... and cubensis sclerotia? [Re: Great_Cthulhu]
    #1068937 - 11/20/02 07:45 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

IMHO Mycelium piss normally appears if the jars are incubating to hot or too long, the latter might be your case.
Regarding the second question, your description fits a sclerotia description but i don't know about EQ or any other cubensis strain producing sclerotia... but that doesn't mean there isn't. Do a search and work out that lazy ass :wink:.
BTW, Ps Mexicana and Ps. Tampanensis are sclerotia producers.

MAIA

--------------------
Spiritual being, living a human experience ... The Shroomery Mandala

Use, do not abuse; neither abstinence nor excess ever renders man happy.
Voltaire

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Contamination Forum