Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlinelines
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: USA
Hamsa & The Evil Eye
    #10319653 - 05/10/09 10:08 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

The above image is an image of the hamsa amulet. This amulet is part of a tradition in judaism and it is part arabic culture. The hamsa amulet is of pagan origins and its use pre-dates judaism. As you can see this image is of a hand with an eye on the palm. This amulet is often worn as a pendant and it is for the purpose of warding off the evil eye.

The evil eye is a situation where someone or a number of people hate you and they hate you due to jealousy or maybe the origin of hatred is some other motivation. So when people hate you they send negative energy to you and the hatred itself has the potential of being destructive by itself.

Often times people who are hated will engage in self-destructive behavior because due to being hated they start to destroy themselves. Many people who are engaging in very self-destructive behaviors are victims of the evil eye.

The amulet hamsa creates a force-field(auric-shield) that protects you from the energy of hatred. The hand in the amulet symbolized "halt". Traffic cops will hold their hand with their palm facing outward to tell cars to stop. The eye on the amulet represents the evil eye. So the amulet communicates through its symbolism: "halt evil eye"... hence the amulet halts the evil eye.

Edited by lines (05/10/09 10:10 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblec0sm0nautt
Male User Gallery
Loc: The Astral Realm
Re: Hamsa & The Evil Eye [Re: lines]
    #10319958 - 05/10/09 11:03 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Couldn't this "force field" be invoked from pure intent and mindfulness, without the use of material symbols?

OfflinejivJaN
yes
Male User Gallery

Re: Hamsa & The Evil Eye [Re: lines] * 1
    #10320321 - 05/11/09 12:50 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

When i eat the mushroom i see eyes... everywhere.
They are my eyes.
And your eyes.
To say that they are our eyes would be.... well.. it just doesnt sound right.
We are all the same person.

...as i was leaving my sisters room she woke up to the sound of the door and yelled very angrily to shut it.
The eyes filling up my vision turned into "evil eyes" .
I felt like a child being yelled at for doing something wrong and my sister is younger than me.
I guess we all react to anger and negativity like this... the mushroom shows it head on.. for what it really is.
Whether we consciously perceive it while the ego runs the show is unimportant.
It gets shoved into the subconscious.

Simply understanding this destructive force as self destructive is more than enough to eliminate its negative impact.

There is no evil.
Only confusion.

And we are all a bunch of very confused people..

Forgiveness breaks the cycle.

--------------------

---------------------

All my posts in this forum are strictly fictional.
They are derived from an acute mental illness , from which i am forced to lie compulsively.
I have never induced any kind of mind altering substance in my life  and i have no intentions whatsoever of doing anything illegal.
If I have ever suggested such a thing it would have most likely been , due to my personality disorder and i probably do not remember it at all..

Offlinelines
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Hamsa & The Evil Eye [Re: jivJaN]
    #10320400 - 05/11/09 01:15 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

I agree that understanding how it works is enough to stop it from happening however the amulet serves the purpose of programming the mind automatically to stop it from happening(it does this through the power ones mind gives to the amulet, the power ultimately is ones own mind however external objects can be used as tools to harness the minds power... I do agree that the minds power can be harnessed directly without the need of external objects though)... the amulet is an unnecessary tool however it is an effective tool.

InvisibledeCypher
 User Gallery

#10320782 - 05/11/09 03:41 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

jivJaN said:
There is no evil.
Only confusion.

There is no good.
Only dogmatic certainty that you're doing the 'right' thing.  :wink:

--------------------
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

OfflinejivJaN
yes
Male User Gallery

Re: Hamsa & The Evil Eye [Re: deCypher]
    #10320860 - 05/11/09 04:28 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

deCypher said:
Quote:

jivJaN said:
There is no evil.
Only confusion.

There is no good.

Exactly.

--------------------

---------------------

All my posts in this forum are strictly fictional.
They are derived from an acute mental illness , from which i am forced to lie compulsively.
I have never induced any kind of mind altering substance in my life  and i have no intentions whatsoever of doing anything illegal.
If I have ever suggested such a thing it would have most likely been , due to my personality disorder and i probably do not remember it at all..

OfflineDj_sIntjsboh
Stranger

#10321164 - 05/11/09 06:35 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

evil is an illusion,,altho the amulet looks wikked:sun:

OfflineDiaboleros
Devil's spawn

Re: Hamsa & The Evil Eye [Re: Dj_sIntjsboh]
    #10357045 - 05/18/09 04:25 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

A few days after I read this thread, a guy at work gave me this amulet from his keychain! Lol, what are the odds, I never heard or saw about this thing before. :grin:

Edited by Diaboleros (05/19/09 04:24 PM)

OfflineTeamAmerica
 User Gallery

Re: Hamsa & The Evil Eye [Re: lines]
    #10360801 - 05/18/09 07:44 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Those 3 fish are interesting...what do they signify?

Offlinelines
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Hamsa & The Evil Eye [Re: TeamAmerica]
    #10361654 - 05/18/09 10:32 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

The Hamsa only consists of an eye on a hand. The three fish you see in the picture of that Hamsa are extra additions to the amulet. I am not sure if they have any symbolic significance or not.

OfflineLaughing_Gnome
Shroom Head
Male

Loc: Australia
    #12222826 - 03/18/10 05:21 AM (14 years, 13 days ago)

I saw the hasma hand right before i met the devil in i trip. although i am not into symbolism because i think its materialistic, it is exactly that a symbol , which helps the mind identify with certain intentions. but i do not think symbolism is something that shoud be focused on.

--------------------
Nothing is real, everything is good.

InvisibleComputerism
Propagandist
Male User Gallery

Loc: Next to a Shrub
    #12223115 - 03/18/10 08:03 AM (14 years, 13 days ago)

I bet Madonna has one of those things. :grin:

--------------------
Butterfly in the sky, I can go twice as high. :gethigh:

OfflineRadar
Stranger

Re: Hamsa & The Evil Eye [Re: TeamAmerica]
    #12223140 - 03/18/10 08:14 AM (14 years, 13 days ago)

Quote:

TeamAmerica said:
Those 3 fish are interesting...what do they signify?

Those are interesting.

Don't fish have something to do with rebirth?? I seem to rmemeber that Osiris was eaten by fish and then Isis had to get his body back from them before resurecting him......something like that.  Plus they always come back to lif after being eaten in all the native american myths.  Plus theres the Icthhys.

Somebody help me out here.

--------------------
We have not even to risk the adventure alone, for the heroes of all time have gone before us — the labyrinth is thoroughly known. We have only to follow the thread of the hero path, and where we had thought to find an abomination, we shall find a god; where we had thought to slay another, we shall slay ourselves; where we had thought to travel outward, we shall come to the center of our own existence. And where we had thought to be alone, we shall be with all the world.

InvisibleTheWolf
Antechamber Of Mystery

Re: Hamsa & The Evil Eye [Re: Radar]
    #12223368 - 03/18/10 09:38 AM (14 years, 13 days ago)

According to most Jewish traditions, the fish are a symbol of good luck.
It is also common for hamsas to be inscribed with the Hebrew word "behatzlacha" which can translate into "Good Luck" or "In Success".

Some people believe, other than the "five fingers in your eye" interpretation of the hamsa, the five figures remind the wearer to praise God with all their five senses.  Of course this is taken from a more Jewish and Muslim outlook.

Another interesting note, spitting on the ground was seen as an on the spot kind of remedy for negating the effects of the evil eye.  Someone's thinking about you bad, spit on the ground, and that is supposed to reverse the effects or nullify them.  I guess you could say that purging, often associated with strong psychedelic experiences like ayahuasca, could be seen as "The Big Spit".

Edited by TheWolf (03/18/10 02:25 PM)

OfflineRiverRat427
Something funny happened...
Male

Loc: ..on the road to Damascus
Re: Hamsa & The Evil Eye [Re: TheWolf]
    #12225137 - 03/18/10 02:56 PM (14 years, 13 days ago)

I've known about the eye for quite a long time, being a furry little Sicilian bastard, and it's the one superstition that I started looking into that got me into the whole superstition/folkways subject which eventually lead up to my more serious spiritual studies.

In the Bible (Gospel of Mark, KJV) Jesus mentions the evil eye as something that comes from within and defiles the hearts of man. This correlates with the OP's mention of  wrath, jealousy, and covetousness as a spiritual poison that not only wreak havoc on our own spirit but reaches out and taints others. People have explained it to me before as kind of cause and effect, the person's jealousy/anger brings them  and also the one they cast the eye on before God's judgment, and the person who has the eye on them gets a little 'wake up call' which can range from general feelings of unease and light pressure headaches to migraines, nausea, impotence, diarrhea, and all sorts of ailments. When I was a kid and had any general ills around my grandmother step one was to check whether or not it was because I had the eye on me.

The fish on that hamsa to me symbolize 'plenty' and 'moisture'. I read an article (I can't remember by who) called "Wet and Dry: The Evil Eye" and the hypothesis is that the symptoms of the evil eye, like impotence and diarrhea, have to do with loss of moisture. The story in Mark about Jesus cursing the fig tree, which withered and died, is an example of how the evil eye works. Some anti-eye gestures and charms are meant to correct this imbalance, like spitting or making signs like the mano fico, the hand of the fig/pussy. This is done by making a fist and sticking the tip of the thumb through the index and middle fingers, which symbolize sexual penetration and the opposite of the eye's effects, moisture and virility as opposed to dryness and listlessness.

Even though I'm not a fan of material charms or amulets I still wear a chain around my neck with my Guido horn, which is an anti-evil eye charm. It's phallic image symbolizes virility and power and is meant to 'fascinate' the eye of someone who could be giving the eye and 'take the hit' for me. I mostly just wear it now because it's the only nice piece of jewelry I have.

But just typing that reminds me about something I was taught I thought I should re-iterate. If anyone's wearing any protective charms for any reason and they happen to fall off, LEAVE THEM WHERE THEY FALL! They've done their job, hook yourself up with a new one.

If at any time I become aware of any bad vibes coming my way from someone the simple spit on the ground or making the sign of the horns (mano cornuto, metal horns man!  :headbanger: ) with awareness of my invulnerability to such petty spiritual mechanisms is more than sufficient enough. If you believe Dio's claims of introducing the horns to headbanging community from his Italian nonna, it's a testament to the strength of the belief in the eye in certain cultures.

Edited by RiverRat427 (03/18/10 11:39 PM)

InvisibleChronic7
Re: Hamsa & The Evil Eye [Re: jivJaN] * 1
    #12225348 - 03/18/10 03:27 PM (14 years, 13 days ago)

Quote:

jivJaN said:

There is no evil.
Only confusion.

--------------------

InvisibleChronic7
    #12225365 - 03/18/10 03:28 PM (14 years, 13 days ago)

Quote:

Mr. Cypher said:
Quote:

jivJaN said:
There is no evil.
Only confusion.

There is no good.

lol we picked the same part, although i would say everything is benevolent (good)
even the perceived evil

--------------------

InvisibledeCypher
 User Gallery

Re: Hamsa & The Evil Eye [Re: Chronic7]
    #12225370 - 03/18/10 03:29 PM (14 years, 13 days ago)

Everything is malevolent (evil) even the perceived good.  :shrug:

You're biased towards one polarity IMO.

--------------------
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

InvisibleChronic7
    #12225488 - 03/18/10 03:47 PM (14 years, 13 days ago)

Not at all, i just see the absolute which is beyond polarities

Theres a higher good beyond the polarity of good/bad
The highest bliss is incomparable to the temporary bliss that has its opposite of misery

--------------------

Invisiblec0sm0nautt
Male User Gallery
Loc: The Astral Realm
Re: Hamsa & The Evil Eye [Re: Chronic7]
    #12225630 - 03/18/10 04:09 PM (14 years, 13 days ago)

Transcending duality ftw :yinyang:

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom