Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Graphic Designers
    #10128361 -

Are there any graphic designers on the Shroomery who do it for a living? Did you go to school for it? What skills have you had to acquire?


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Graphic Designers [Re: AlteredAgain]
    #10128536 -

I think adrug is a graphic deisigner...I could be wrong though.


--------------------
The Prophecy!

Learn To Code

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Graphic Designers [Re: blewmeanie]
    #10128995 -

I just been finding myself a bit frustrated with academics. I mean, I do enjoy to study, but I'm also an artistic type. Just considering what it may be like to do graphic design as a profession, working in advertising, media, or just independently. I'm at a point where I need to decide a long-term career path, and I'm somewhere split between the arts and the sciences.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Graphic Designers [Re: AlteredAgain]
    #10129078 -

do both :yinyang:


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Graphic Designers [Re: Shroomism] * 1
    #10129139 -

U can freelance graphic designing/web designing.
It's best to go to school obviously, but in these days, it almost seems difficult to find a web design job, because so many people can do it, or hire a freelance designer.

I've been making my own sites for the fun out of it, and love graphics and eye candy, everything I have learned has been self taught.

You can learn ANYTHING on your own, and in some ways I learn better that way, it would be best to teach yourself, and then take the classes to show them whose boss.

Just do that, and you can make a website/portfolio and be all bad ass.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Graphic Designers [Re: AlteredAgain]
    #10129143 -

well I got my BFA from a  top NYC art school. but besides having a 4 yr degree from a good school, you really have to intern at a reputable co.

If you don't do that you end up managing a kinkos...:(


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Graphic Designers [Re: AlteredAgain] * 1
    #10129405 -

Graphic design is alright. I do it. It sucks hard sometimes, just like any other job. There are always strict deadlines that have to be met, picky clients, and people who dick around when it comes time to pay you. Unless you get super lucky, you will most likely end up having to take a job in Advertising/Marketing or Print Production. Both of which can be soul killing.

But if your dream is to be an artist, don't sell yourself short and go for graphic design. I thought I was being pragmatic by getting a commercial art degree ("at least I can get a job"), but now I'm pretty unhappy with where I'm at and am trying to struggle into the fine art world without having made ANY connections at a fine art school. Its hard, and since most of my portfolio stuff is graphic design, people don't take me nearly as seriously as they would if I had gone to fine art school and built up a portfolio there.

So yeah, if you want to be an artist artist, don't go to graphic design school. If you want to work in an office with jerks and have the subject of your artwork dictated to you, then by all means, go to graphic design school.

That is all.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* What should I include in my Graphic Design Portfolio? NewbieS 2,967 10 01/08/22 10:13 AM
by twighead
* A contest in graphic design, winner gets their design printed
( 1 2 3 4 all )
ZippoZM 13,996 69 12/24/05 05:26 PM
by lemon_lw
* ATTN Graphic Designers WildCardsRevenge 371 0 09/24/04 12:35 PM
by WildCardsRevenge
* Free glass piece bowl or otherwise to the best graphic designer, ends tonight. at midnight cst
( 1 2 all )
ZippoZM 3,464 35 11/17/04 03:35 AM
by synthesis
* graphical designs for a 4-wheeler (updated Jun 8 pics!) Eightball 2,942 13 06/24/04 10:10 PM
by Eightball
* Tattoo artist needed (large pic warning) wiggles 1,358 8 09/28/06 07:38 PM
by gema
* Any tattoo artists around? I need some help with a design...
( 1 2 3 all )
trendalM 3,711 41 07/22/05 02:45 PM
by Vvellum
* I need a graphic artist to help me on a project. thenewuser 859 10 03/31/05 10:51 PM
by thenewuser

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Entire Staff
584 topic views. 6 members, 6 guests and 166 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.024 seconds spending 0.008 seconds on 16 queries.