Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineSammy
Between the fold

Loc: you'll shoot yer eye out ...
Easy question
    #1012180 - 11/01/02 04:27 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

So this is my first time growing mushrooms. I'm growing some Treasure Coast from sporeworks. Seven 1/2 pt cakes, lost only one to contam. On fifth flush with two and they are still producing!! Dunked every time, even before birth for 12 hours in clean water in the fridge. Pearlite for humidity... etc etc. Anyways, I was a little too eager to trip for the first couple flushes... and now I need to make some spore prints. None of the PF guides that I've read have specified if I need to harvest the cap before or after the membrane is breaking. Can you help. What I've done is just waited until the membrane is about seventy percent broken, then scraped the rest off and put the cap in a container that I plan on keeping a spore solution in. Anyways, they have small purple prints for sure. But should they be light.. or dark?? They dropped prints right away, but am I getting enough of a print because I'm harvesting too early or late, is the question. Thanks for the suppourt. The three largest caps are about the size of half dollars and are beautiful. I've enjoyed growing mushrooms more than any other thing that I've tried growing.. legal or illegal.

Also, can I use partially exhausted cakes for a casing?? I would like to try two cake casings. Another question... can I use partially exhausted cakes to innoculate freshly made BRF/Verm 1/2 pt jars?? I heard that you can use a small 1in by 1in cube to innoculate. If the spores syringe doesn't work out I'd like to have a backup before the jars get too old and start getting contaminated.

Sammy

--------------------

I believe in the Golden Rule ? The Man with the Gold . . . Rules.
- Mr. T

Edited by Sammy (11/01/02 04:31 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineItsAllGood
London Shroomer

Loc: London UK
Re: Easy question [Re: Sammy]
    #1012451 - 11/01/02 08:28 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Actually not so easy to answer.....

I wait till cap has just broken the veil. However some shrooms drop spores into the veil before it broken and carry on after is has opened fully - so either is fine. If you wait for the cap to open I would then immediately chop the sucka's head off.

prints are dark (hence you can see them in a spore syringe)

why would you use exhausted cakes for a casing? They will probably be to dry and the mycelium from the cakes your casing may not be able to grow through it. plus they are old and more sus to contams.

Lastly yes you can use some of the old cake to spawn a fresh brf/ verm mix. Again there is a risk here coz of contams.

Hope this helps

--------------------
What a terrible thing to lay on somebody with a head full of acid

OfflineStS
treetoker
Male User Gallery

Loc: Earth
Re: Easy question [Re: Sammy]
    #1013630 - 11/01/02 05:09 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Prints can be light or dark depending on when you start them and how long you let them print. I always chop the head after the veil breaks and the cap has opened up a little more and let it print for 1 and a half to 2 days. Light prints still contain millions of spores, and there does not have to be visible spores in the solution. Sometimes it looks like ordinary water, but it will still work fine.

--------------------

"You took too much, man....too much, too much!"

OfflineSammy
Between the fold

Loc: you'll shoot yer eye out ...
Re: Easy question [Re: StS]
    #1024283 - 11/05/02 02:33 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Thanks a lot guys. That helped a great deal. What I did was I experimented with the caps. The larger ones, I let break.. they ended up being about half dollar sized prints. The smaller ones I waited until the veil was visible, then chopped the cap and tore the veil. The prints on the smaller ones were MUCH darker, and close to black. The prints on the larger caps were lighter, and purple. I set the larger ones and smaller ones in two seperate containers, disposable (sterilized) rubbermade containers which were sealed and let sit for a day and a half. After the caps were taken out (three large prints in one bin, and five small prints in the other) I added 3 syringes worth of water for each small sporeprint in the bin with the smaller prints and 4 syringes worth of water for each large sporeprint in the other bin. There is a hole on the rubbermade top that I seal with tape, and the solution is kept in the fridge. Not bad for a newbie! The day after doing what I stated above, I innoculated 24 jars (which was on Sunday) and they are already starting to show signs of colonization. Thank you again for all your help. I'm looking forward to growing a few more strains. Which strain is completely the opposite of growing Treasure Coast?? I'd like to challenge myself a little bit.

Sammy

--------------------

I believe in the Golden Rule ? The Man with the Gold . . . Rules.
- Mr. T

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation