Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

North Spore Shop: Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
gigging essentials
    #9933676 -

hey there!
I just finished playing my first "gig" (in quotations because it wasn't payed, but it was not like an open mic or anything either)

We need to learn more songs though!

I was wondering if you guys can help me out with some suggestions for songs that can sound good with just an acoustic guitar and vocals.

We're gonna take a look at some Dylan, obviously.


Anyone else here play gigs (not DJing... not that that's not cool or anything)? I'm sure there must be.


--------------------
:musicnote:Music doesn't stop at the ears when it begins at the heart.:musicnote:


:psychsplit:"Sit in reverie and watch the changing color of the waves that break upon the idle seashore of the mind."
            -Henry Wadsworth Longfellow:psychsplit:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: gigging essentials [Re: boxcarguy07]
    #9933685 -

and the funny thing is that the guy I'm playing with is an opera singer, I play guitar and we both sing, or play djembe while he sings.

It's very interesting when we come together, because of his background and the style of songs we're doing. We only had one practice yesterday, first time we played together. And then did the show today.


--------------------
:musicnote:Music doesn't stop at the ears when it begins at the heart.:musicnote:


:psychsplit:"Sit in reverie and watch the changing color of the waves that break upon the idle seashore of the mind."
            -Henry Wadsworth Longfellow:psychsplit:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: gigging essentials [Re: boxcarguy07]
    #9933709 -

I thought this post was gonna be about frog gigging.


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: gigging essentials [Re: Gumby]
    #9933770 -

Sorry, i disappoint


--------------------
:musicnote:Music doesn't stop at the ears when it begins at the heart.:musicnote:


:psychsplit:"Sit in reverie and watch the changing color of the waves that break upon the idle seashore of the mind."
            -Henry Wadsworth Longfellow:psychsplit:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: gigging essentials [Re: boxcarguy07]
    #9933789 -

btw, looking for songs that are well-known and well-liked.

I never learned any songs like that, all the songs i ever learned were either my own, or songs that I liked but were not very popular.


--------------------
:musicnote:Music doesn't stop at the ears when it begins at the heart.:musicnote:


:psychsplit:"Sit in reverie and watch the changing color of the waves that break upon the idle seashore of the mind."
            -Henry Wadsworth Longfellow:psychsplit:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: gigging essentials [Re: boxcarguy07]
    #9933791 -

Leran Freebird.

That way when people start yelling it you can just play it and shut them up.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: gigging essentials [Re: boxcarguy07]
    #9933821 -

Some artists (and songs) to look into: Ray LaMontagne (Get Me A Buzz, Acre of Land, Sarah); Bob Martin (similar to Dylan, I like 'Frog Dick, South Dakota' and Captain Jesus); some older Tom Waits (Diamonds on my Windshield, Old Shoes (and Picture Postcards)); ya could probably pull off some Dispatch; Tom Petty; Neil Young; Leonard Cohen; most signer songwriter stuff works well acoustic.


--------------------
Wildflower seed on the sand and stone, may the four winds blow you safely home
Curriculum vapidum (dry herb vapes)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: gigging essentials [Re: NizzyJones]
    #9933834 -

Thanks, I appreciate it. I'll definitely look into those

yeah, i did a dispatch tune (flying horses) today. love that song


--------------------
:musicnote:Music doesn't stop at the ears when it begins at the heart.:musicnote:


:psychsplit:"Sit in reverie and watch the changing color of the waves that break upon the idle seashore of the mind."
            -Henry Wadsworth Longfellow:psychsplit:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: gigging essentials [Re: boxcarguy07]
    #9933851 -

Yeah I'll think about it a bit and see if anything else floats to the surface.

oh! I know - I've always wanted to do a cover of CAKE's Palm of Your Hand.


--------------------
Wildflower seed on the sand and stone, may the four winds blow you safely home
Curriculum vapidum (dry herb vapes)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

North Spore Shop: Bulk Substrate


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* The ins and outs of playing in a band:I don't want to play Bob Dylan and the like... LobsterSauceDiscord 338 4 05/13/10 12:36 PM
by LobsterSauce
* Bob dylan + meme propaganda LeastResistance 1,121 4 03/24/22 10:35 PM
by ModularMind
* Singer-Songwriters jewunit 160 1 09/12/09 03:33 AM
by jewunit
* 10 people you met at gigs... Flor De Cana 663 17 04/25/10 11:56 PM
by nismo2491
* Songwriters Out There..
( 1 2 3 all )
Synocybin 1,602 50 01/03/12 07:01 AM
by x Ju x
* A white nationalist responds to Dylan Levi's Internationale fabrica 702 6 12/14/10 06:04 AM
by jainveganbuddha
* Best songwriter/composer of all time?
( 1 2 3 all )
pfxtc 2,180 43 10/29/10 02:57 AM
by Rhapsode
* bob dylan concert in seattle next month.... illahee 1,019 11 02/16/05 06:39 PM
by Jim

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Entire Staff
461 topic views. 5 members, 8 guests and 152 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.029 seconds spending 0.008 seconds on 16 queries.