Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

North Spore Shop: North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinedansta
stanley

Loc: Anywhere
Aquarium Heater
    #974376 - 10/19/02 08:32 AM (21 years, 5 months ago)

I've just got two rubbermaid containers and an aqarium heater and was going to go for this set up http://www.fungifun.org/pf/incubator.htm but after trying it it seems that my heater needs to be vertical to work. Last night I tried another method by using a cut down 5 litre water bottle and dropping the heater in but had probelms getting this to work and ended up dropping and smashing the heater.

Can anyone give me any other idears using the above kit bearing in mind that the heater needs to be vertical.

I thought about sitting one of the containers full of water on the jars and heating them that way. Would it work??

--------------------
"Sir, I think you are drunk"
"Yes my dear and tomorrow I will be sober but you will still be ugly"

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibledog
straw dog

Loc: Route 66
Re: Aquarium Heater [Re: dansta]
    #974399 - 10/19/02 08:52 AM (21 years, 5 months ago)

When you replace your heater be sure to buy one that is fully submersible. If for some reason you cannot get one, you can place the vertical type in an appropriately sized jar of water and then place the jar in your incubator. It's not quite as effective but will work.

--------------------

Fascism (fash'izem) n. A governmental system marked by a centralized dictatorship, stringent socioeconomic controls, and often belligerent nationalism. see also: the Bush Administration.

Offlinedansta
stanley

Re: Aquarium Heater [Re: dog]
    #974412 - 10/19/02 08:56 AM (21 years, 5 months ago)

It's fully submersable but just needs to be vertical. The bad thing about the jar idea is that the heater is the same size as rubbermaids.

--------------------

Invisibledog
straw dog

#974452 - 10/19/02 09:27 AM (21 years, 5 months ago)

In reply to:

It's fully submersable but just needs to be vertical.

I don't understand. If the heater is fully submersable then what difference could it make which direction it is mounted?

--------------------

Fascism (fash'izem) n. A governmental system marked by a centralized dictatorship, stringent socioeconomic controls, and often belligerent nationalism. see also: the Bush Administration.

Offlinedansta
stanley

#974465 - 10/19/02 09:34 AM (21 years, 5 months ago)

I've no idea it has a line near the top that says that it's the minimum water fill line and on the box it says that it's totally waterproof. Maybe I have a duff heater I'm trying it a few different ways to see. At the moment it keeps cutting itself off when it's nowhere near the temperature setting but on the box it does say it needs to be vertical.

--------------------

Invisibledog
straw dog

#974478 - 10/19/02 09:43 AM (21 years, 5 months ago)

Hmmm..... can't say for certain without seeing it but I suspect your heater is not the fully submersible type. All the fully submersibles that I have seen have no minimum submersion line because they are desined to be, uh,  fully submerged. Raising tropical fish is my other hobby.  :smile: 

--------------------

Edited by dog (10/19/02 09:47 AM)

Offlinedansta
stanley

#974495 - 10/19/02 09:55 AM (21 years, 5 months ago)

Thanks for your help. It sounds like I might need another trip to the pet shop.

Dansta.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

North Spore Shop: North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies