Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleveggieM

Bill introduced to combat nonexistent drug
    #9683840 - 01/26/09 04:56 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Candy-Colored Meth Dreams
January 26, 2009 - reason.com
By Jacob Sullum

Last week Sens. Charles Grassley (R-Iowa) and Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.) reintroduced a bill aimed at combating a new drug menace that, as far as anyone can tell, does not actually exist: candy-flavored meth. The Saving Kids from Dangerous Drugs Act, a.k.a. "the candy-flavored meth bill," would automatically double penalties for anyone who "manufactures, creates, distributes, or possesses with intent to distribute a controlled substance that is flavored, colored, packaged or otherwise altered in a way that is designed to make it more appealing to a person under 21 years of age, or who attempts or conspires to do so." Grassley explains why this legislation is urgently needed:

It's disturbing that drug dealers are trying to lure teens and young kids by flavoring drugs to taste like candy. This latest craze needs to be dealt with before it's too late....The legislation that Senator Feinstein and I have introduced should make drug dealers think twice about selling candy flavored drugs to our kids.

The only problem with this explanation is that the fiendish pushers luring children into a lifetime of addiction with strawberry-flavored speed appear to be little more than figments of Grassley and Feinstein's drug-fevered imaginations. To be fair, a lot of people have imagined these monsters, but none of them has produced a real-life specimen. In a June 2007 story, "Meth Ado About Nothing?," for the drug policy site Join Together, Bob Curley reported:

Both the DEA and the White House Office of National Drug Control Policy told Join Together that they have not been able to identify a single confirmed seizure of flavored meth....

Experts say that there's a real possibility that local police are confusing colored meth—which is relatively common—with flavored meth. Tom McNamara, a meth trainer and special-projects coordinator for the Southern Illinois Drug Task Force Group, told Join Together that meth made from Sudafed or some generic versions of the drug will have a light-pink color because of the dye used in the pills. Moreover, he said, meth made from anhydrous ammonia treated with GloTell—a chemical marker designed to discourage thefts—will be bright pink. The drug also can appear greenish or blue.

"We've had that forever," said McNamara of colored meth, whereas his inquiries about flavored meth have yielded nothing.

Also check out Curley's sidebar, in which he asks a question that apparently never occurred to Grassley, Feinstein, and other politicians plagued by candy-colored nightmares: "Does 'Flavored Meth' Even Make Sense?" If Grassley and Feinstein had simply paid a visit to Snopes.com, they could have saved their staffs the trouble of writing this stupid bill. But as the Drug War Chronicle notes, they are proceeding "as if the debunking of the myth had never occurred." The Chronicle worries that their broadly worded legislation against a phantom menace could be used to arbitrarily increase the penalties of people who make or sell drugs that are deemed to be kid-targeted because of bright colors, cartoons, or whimsical names.

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflinefreeDOOM
Stranger then you
Male

Loc: New York, USA
Re: Bill introduced to combat nonexistent drug [Re: veggie]
    #9683946 - 01/26/09 05:13 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

What a joke. . .  :nonono:

--------------------

OfflinefreeDOOM
Stranger then you
Male

Loc: New York, USA
Re: Bill introduced to combat nonexistent drug [Re: freeDOOM]
    #9683953 - 01/26/09 05:15 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Do they really have nothing better to do then to produce this  :glittershitz:.

--------------------

InvisibleGreen_T
 User Gallery

Loc: UK Flag
Re: Bill introduced to combat nonexistent drug [Re: freeDOOM]
    #9684322 - 01/26/09 06:20 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

How do they determine what makes it appealing to someone under 21 years of age?

Wouldn't a menthol cigarette fit that description?

--------------------

"I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man" - Thomas Jefferson

Legalize Meth | Drug War Victims

Offlineneopet nub
Stranger

Re: Bill introduced to combat nonexistent drug [Re: Green_T]
    #9684633 - 01/26/09 07:05 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

@GT, I agree that it is a horrible description and gives power to the judge to interpret the law.

But, I think this law doesn't matter at all, especially since no one is stupid enough to do this.

--------------------
Ego death from weed!

OfflineCascadian
Feel like a Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: Cascadia
Re: Bill introduced to combat nonexistent drug [Re: Green_T]
    #9684661 - 01/26/09 07:09 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

What would this mean about mushroom chocolates?

Offlinewhy_not_me
I live tranquilized
 User Gallery

Loc: Fluffy opiate cloud
Re: Bill introduced to combat nonexistent drug [Re: Cascadian]
    #9684690 - 01/26/09 07:15 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

I was thinking more about E pills... or bags of dope... or even blotters:confused:

--------------------
Feed Your Head.

InvisibleInTheRainySeason
Stalker

Loc: Hostile territory
Re: Bill introduced to combat nonexistent drug [Re: why_not_me]
    #9685533 - 01/26/09 09:27 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

How about all the candy flavored anti depressants that are extremely addictive and much more dangerous&addictive than meth?

Offlinepsilog
{o:o}
Male User Gallery

Loc: home on the range
Re: Bill introduced to combat nonexistent drug [Re: InTheRainySeason]
    #9685596 - 01/26/09 09:36 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Adderall tastes like candy, somewhere along the line it was mized up with meth

--------------------

Offlineskateordont
I'm just a rockn roll clown

Loc: Flander's Fields, eh!
Re: Bill introduced to combat nonexistent drug [Re: psilog]
    #9686433 - 01/26/09 11:47 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

I thought this was going to be about jenkem...

I was hoping for a call to prosecute anyone caught manufacturing feces!

--------------------
My recipe for a good time:

Offlinemycoharry
Fun guy
Male User Gallery

Re: Bill introduced to combat nonexistent drug [Re: skateordont]
    #9686643 - 01/27/09 12:43 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

what about sweettars soaked in xanex.

--------------------
we create realitys in our minds based on our own experiences, rather than fact. my experiences in life have been insane, so in reality i am in fact, INSANE...
-ME

OfflinePlastered marble
All posts fictional

Re: Bill introduced to combat nonexistent drug [Re: skateordont]
    #9687196 - 01/27/09 05:55 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Banning stuff that doesn't exist ...

:foreheadslap:

What will they think of next ...

Quote:

skateordont said:
I thought this was going to be about jenkem...

I was hoping for a call to prosecute anyone caught manufacturing feces!

Well, they could ban storing sewage in bottles ... hitting the trucking industry rather hard I imagine.

--------------------
I survived operation midnight climax and all I got was really, really high.
(older sigs)

Offlinehpi
Tsar Bomba
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Montreal, Canada Flag
Re: Bill introduced to combat nonexistent drug [Re: psilog]
    #9688853 - 01/27/09 01:46 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

psilog said:
Adderall tastes like candy, somewhere along the line it was mized up with meth

--------------------
Tohu Tehom Theli Than Leviathan Tanin'iver Taninsam!

There exists one lie that is the absolute worst. A lie that has successfully infiltrated many of the Western governments. This lie is Christianity, and it must be fought in every way, shape and form. Burn the churches and kill the priests. The abomination that is Christianity must be wiped from this Earth.

4-Methyl-Aminorex

OfflineChakravanti
Fire Shaman
Male

Re: Bill introduced to combat nonexistent drug [Re: Cascadian]
    #9691164 - 01/27/09 08:36 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Cascadian said:

BINGO.  As always, Marijuana and safe psychedelics are the real target of bullshit legislation like this.  Baking pot cookies or brownies for personal consumption?  You might get hit with this.  The convolutions of this bullshit are innumerable.

--------------------
This is a test. Just keep on going. Don't worry. We'll get it right. We've done this before.

Offlinedcox420
Adrenaline Junkie
 User Gallery

Loc: South East USA
Re: Bill introduced to combat nonexistent drug [Re: Chakravanti]
    #9692520 - 01/28/09 12:38 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Chakravanti said:
Quote:

Cascadian said:

BINGO.  As always, Marijuana and safe psychedelics are the real target of bullshit legislation like this.  Baking pot cookies or brownies for personal consumption?  You might get hit with this.  The convolutions of this bullshit are innumerable.

Wow holy shit I never even thought about that... Man think about this...they catch you with shroom cool-aid they could nail you with this BS. "OH you were targeting kids...20 years"

--------------------

My Busa...Nothing better than hitting the highway at 3am with no traffic and kicking it up to 110-120.

Offlinehpi
Tsar Bomba
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Montreal, Canada Flag
Re: Bill introduced to combat nonexistent drug [Re: dcox420]
    #9694325 - 01/28/09 02:04 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Nice hyabusa dude. How much do they cost? I wanna get one myself.

Fuck the children is what I say, dealers don't target kids. They wanna keep lowkey.

--------------------

There exists one lie that is the absolute worst. A lie that has successfully infiltrated many of the Western governments. This lie is Christianity, and it must be fought in every way, shape and form. Burn the churches and kill the priests. The abomination that is Christianity must be wiped from this Earth.

4-Methyl-Aminorex

OfflineAlan RockefellerM
Mycologist
Male User Gallery

#9695113 - 01/28/09 04:08 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Here is the actual text of the bill:

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/billtext.xpd?bill=s111-258

And the current status:

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=s111-258

It says "Jan 15, 2009: Read twice and referred to the Committee on the Judiciary."

This means that now is the best time to fight it because it is much easier to kill a bill when its in committee then when it gets voted on by the whole congress.

Check this page to see if any of your senators are in the Committee on the Judiciary:

Patrick J. Leahy Vermont
Herb Kohl Wisconsin
Arlen Specter Pennsylvania
Dianne Feinstein California
Orrin G. Hatch Utah
Russell D. Feingold Wisconsin
Charles E. Grassley Iowa
Charles E. Schumer New York
Jon Kyl Arizona
Richard J. Durbin Illinois
Jeff Sessions Alabama
Benjamin L. Cardin Maryland
Lindsey Graham South Carolina
Sheldon Whitehouse Rhode Island
John Cornyn Texas
Ron Wyden Oregon
Tom Coburn Oklahoma
Amy Klobuchar Minnesota
Edward E. Kaufman Delaware

If you are lucky enough to live in one of those states, please call your senator and say:

1) Please vote against S. 258 when it comes up for vote in the senate judiciary committee. 
2) This law is unnecessary and is trying to ban a drug that does not exist.  There has never been a documented case of flavored meth.
3) This law is extremely vague, does not mention methamphetamine, does not require that a child be involved, and will increase penalties for simply baking pot cookies in your own home.

InvisibleveggieM

Re: Bill introduced to combat nonexistent drug [Re: Alan Rockefeller]
    #9695750 - 01/28/09 05:45 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Thanks for the information, Alan. :thumbup:

There are way too many laws in this country. We elect 'lawmakers' to do just that, make more laws. Our lawmakers are judged by their peers as to how many laws they propose and get passed. I would vote for anyone running for office who would pledge to rid the books of archaic, nonsensical, and unenforceable laws. There are thousands of these laws, and it encourages law enforcement to 'cherry pick' which to enforce while allowing actual criminals to go free.

I suppose cops think everyone who breaks the law is a criminal. And what better way to make an innocent person a criminal than make every innocuous activity that we do illegal. They say ignornace is no defense, and with so many laws anyone would be hard pressed not to break a few in any given day. It is no wonder that the public has become so cynical of the government and law enforcement.

I say before a new law can be made, take twenty off the books.

Offlinedcox420
Adrenaline Junkie
 User Gallery

Loc: South East USA
    #9697059 - 01/28/09 09:28 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

I agree 100% Veggie...In the town I live in we had the Super Bowl a few years ago and they repealed the public drinking law leading up to it. It was great, but that ended after the police got pissy because every Sunday morning a group of people got together and had Sunday Morning brunch with Mimosa's on the court house steps and they couldn't touch them. It was classic and made the papers almost every week. Now they have made it a first degree misdemeanor punishable by 60 days in jail and 10k fine. Just way too much power...The sad thing was it was voted out by the citizens but repealed without one which I never understood. Oh and HPI...I got my busa for around 11k used.

--------------------

My Busa...Nothing better than hitting the highway at 3am with no traffic and kicking it up to 110-120.

OfflineAlan RockefellerM
Mycologist
Male User Gallery

#9699683 - 01/29/09 12:03 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

This bill is still in committee, call today and make your opposition known!

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale