Home | Community | Message Board

Crestline Sales - MycoPath
Please support our sponsors.

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinesocratesmind
old hand

Loc: in your house :)
Lawmakers To Introduce Bill To Cease Federal Prosecution....
    #1334230 - 02/25/03 11:18 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

February 20, 2003 - Sacramento, CA, USA

Feds' Have "No Respect" For The State Laws, Congressional Coalition Charges

Sacramento, CA: A bi-partisan coalition of federal lawmakers announced this week that they will introduce legislation prohibiting the federal prosecution of medical marijuana patients and providers who reside in states where such activities are legally protected by state law. The pending bill is in response to a recent wave of federal prosecutions of several prominent California medical marijuana patients and providers each of whom were forbidden from introducing evidence at trial regarding either medicinal marijuana or Proposition 215, California's law legalizing the use and cultivation of medical cannabis.

In the past year and a half, federal drug enforcement officials have taken action against approximately 40 medicinal marijuana patients, cooperatives and providers in the state.

The federal government has "no respect for the laws we here in California [and seven other states] have established to allow patients to live pain-free lives," said Rep. Sam Farr (D-CA) at a press conference Wednesday. He announced that he, along with Reps. Lynn Woolsey (D-CA) and Dana Rohrabacher (R-CA), will be introducing federal legislation next month to create two separate legal categories of marijuana medical and criminal and allow defendants to raise the medical use of marijuana as a legal defense against federal prosecution.

"The purpose of this bill is to allow defendants in federal criminal trials to introduce evidence that their marijuana-related activity was performed for a valid medical purpose under state law," Farr said. "If a jury finds that a defendant was following [the] state's medical marijuana law, then the defendant should not be sent to prison. It's as simple as that."

Currently, federal defendants cannot introduce evidence regarding the therapeutic use of marijuana or the existence of state laws legalizing it as a defense against federal criminal prosecution because the federal government fails to legally recognize marijuana's medicinal value.

In the last Congress, bi-partisan legislation introduced by Reps. Barney Frank (D-MA) and Ron Paul (R-TX) sought to reschedule marijuana so that states could legally permit its use and distribution without running afoul of federal law. That bill gained 42 co-sponsors, but failed to receive a hearing in the House of Representatives. Representatives Frank and Paul are expected to re-introduce their bill later this month.

For more information, please contact either Keith Stroup or Paul Armentano of NORML at (202) 483-5500.

February 20, 2003 - Sacramento, CA, USA

Feds' Have "No Respect" For The State Laws, Congressional Coalition Charges

Sacramento, CA: A bi-partisan coalition of federal lawmakers announced this week that they will introduce legislation prohibiting the federal prosecution of medical marijuana patients and providers who reside in states where such activities are legally protected by state law. The pending bill is in response to a recent wave of federal prosecutions of several prominent California medical marijuana patients and providers each of whom were forbidden from introducing evidence at trial regarding either medicinal marijuana or Proposition 215, California's law legalizing the use and cultivation of medical cannabis.

In the past year and a half, federal drug enforcement officials have taken action against approximately 40 medicinal marijuana patients, cooperatives and providers in the state.

The federal government has "no respect for the laws we here in California [and seven other states] have established to allow patients to live pain-free lives," said Rep. Sam Farr (D-CA) at a press conference Wednesday. He announced that he, along with Reps. Lynn Woolsey (D-CA) and Dana Rohrabacher (R-CA), will be introducing federal legislation next month to create two separate legal categories of marijuana medical and criminal and allow defendants to raise the medical use of marijuana as a legal defense against federal prosecution.

"The purpose of this bill is to allow defendants in federal criminal trials to introduce evidence that their marijuana-related activity was performed for a valid medical purpose under state law," Farr said. "If a jury finds that a defendant was following [the] state's medical marijuana law, then the defendant should not be sent to prison. It's as simple as that."

Currently, federal defendants cannot introduce evidence regarding the therapeutic use of marijuana or the existence of state laws legalizing it as a defense against federal criminal prosecution because the federal government fails to legally recognize marijuana's medicinal value.

In the last Congress, bi-partisan legislation introduced by Reps. Barney Frank (D-MA) and Ron Paul (R-TX) sought to reschedule marijuana so that states could legally permit its use and distribution without running afoul of federal law. That bill gained 42 co-sponsors, but failed to receive a hearing in the House of Representatives. Representatives Frank and Paul are expected to re-introduce their bill later this month.

For more information, please contact either Keith Stroup or Paul Armentano of NORML at (202) 483-5500.

http://www.norml.org/index.cfm?Group_ID=5559

P.S. All those living in USA NEED to write not email goverment officials to voice support for this bill so it will actually do some damage and not get swept under the rug. Do your part to help.

--------------------
Prohibition will work great injury to the cause of temperance. It is a species of intemperance within itself, for it goes beyond the bounds of reason in that it attempts to control a man's appetite by legislation, and makes a crime out of things that are not crimes. A Prohibition law strikes a blow at the very principles upon which our government was founded.
- Abraham Lincoln: Speech in the Illinois House of Representatives, Dec 18, 1840.

Edited by socratesmind (02/25/03 11:23 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?

Loc: Lost In Space
Re: Lawmakers To Introduce Bill To Cease Federal Prosecution.... [Re: socratesmind]
    #1334262 - 02/25/03 11:27 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

That would be good.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

Offlinepsilo25
The one stuck inthe middle ofthis hopelessmess.

Loc: over here
Re: Lawmakers To Introduce Bill To Cease Federal Prosecution.... [Re: socratesmind]
    #1334594 - 02/25/03 01:18 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Man, I really hope this gets passed. The DEA is really starting to piss me off with their relentless persecution of medical MJ users. As soon as this bill is introduced into Congress, I intend to write numerous letters to my Senators and Reps urging them to support this, and I suggest that everybody on this board who gives a shit about this does the same. Remember, you don't have to be a registered voter to write letters to members of Congress.

--------------------
Stand up for your freedoms, join the fight against the War on Drugs!

www.drcnet.org
www.drugpolicyalliance.org
www.drugsense.org

InvisiblePrisoner#1M
Even Dumber ThanAdvertized!
 User Gallery

Loc: Pvt. Pubfag NutSuck
Re: Lawmakers To Introduce Bill To Cease Federal Prosecution.... [Re: psilo25]
    #1335121 - 02/25/03 04:05 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

hell....my reps know me by name already....

Prisoner#1

OfflinemotamanM
old hand
 User Gallery
    #1343197 - 02/28/03 04:07 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Geez.. 40 steps back.. 1 step forward... This is the only positive news post I have read in ages.. Thanks for posting.....

--------------------
http://heffter.org

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service